I have a non-AT&T Classic vs. AT&T Passport. I have used Classic for about 1.5 months and Passport for 5 days.

My goal was to try Passport in the same rigorous environment where I use Classic. Setup was to switch contacts and messages to Passport for 24 hours. All backups and data transfers went as planned.

The Passport is faster, especially switching between apps. It runs Fitbit more quickly, syncs go faster and food entry and lookup is at least 50% faster. The screen is magnificent. The capacitive keyboard is fun but harder to manipulate the swipe-up for words than my z30. The Home Screen is different and lacks a Hub icon and noticed that I opened the phone app a couple times. No big deal. No flicker. I ran the latest OS leaked by Bla1ze. Audio in side by side comparison with same selection was slightly more rich on Passport. The case of the AT&T passport is awesome, very luxurious and smooth, well weighted, great construction. Battery life was superb, used 41%.

After 9 active hours, I resigned and switched back to Classic.

In a nutshell, the form factor of the Passport is unwieldy and always makes you feel like you will drop it. All the time. The keyboard is too low leaving a heavy top end. The keys are just too large to make typing comfortable. One hand typing is almost impossible. You'll drop it.

And there it is, the Classic has slightly lesser specs but passes the usability test. For its minor shortcomings on performance, I will use Classic as my daily driver because of its fit which improves MY messaging performance, and that over arches device performance.

I like the Passport for what it packs but it'll stay as my personal device. My primary work device remains a Classic.

If in 30 days I feel the Passport warrants another shot I'll give it a whirl. If I haven't dropped it...
    03-02-15 09:52 AM
    Use what works for you. Nice comparison.
    03-02-15 09:54 AM
    Great comparison. I always carried one phone and that was my daily driver. In January switched to lumia 1020 from a Q10 just to give windows phone a chance. Lumia 1020 cos I loved the size and ofcourse the camera. I realised once you are into BlackBerry others have No chance!! No chance in hell !! Lol. Finally found love in the classic. Was thinking about passport after a couple of months but after your comparison, No chance in hell ! Cheers!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:40 AM
    well, i'm using both at the same time, but slowly turning over Classic as my daily driver. Classic wins it with a big lead on Passport in terms of usability. and since i am heavily into Blend, i compensate for loss of screen size by using a tablet.
    Pardon, awindsr and JesseBabe23 like this.
    03-02-15 12:23 PM
    Sounds about right. Classic is a all-out communication device. Passport is a niche player that some people use every day. Choice is good but Classic is perfect for me.

SQC100-4 Classic running 10.3.1.2267
    03-02-15 04:28 PM
    Tried it again on Monday, and by 5:30 I was switching from passport back to classic.

Still love passport but it cannot compete with classic in usability. Just too much convenience baked into the classic form factor.
    kbz1960 and TgeekB like this.
    03-04-15 09:10 AM
    I have had the chance to hold both in hand, and I find the passport just top heavy and the keys are a bit low for my liking. The classic, well it's classic. Don't know which I should have. I'm at the point where I want a touch screen and one with keys too. Which to add I don't know yet, my want of the old feel with upgrade or the curiosity of the passport........... will see.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 09:46 AM
    I have a non-AT&T Classic vs. AT&T Passport. I have used Classic for about 1.5 months and Passport for 5 days.

My goal was to try Passport in the same rigorous environment where I use Classic. Setup was to switch contacts and messages to Passport for 24 hours. All backups and data transfers went as planned.

The Passport is faster, especially switching between apps. It runs Fitbit more quickly, syncs go faster and food entry and lookup is at least 50% faster. The screen is magnificent. The capacitive keyboard is fun but harder to manipulate the swipe-up for words than my z30. The Home Screen is different and lacks a Hub icon and noticed that I opened the phone app a couple times. No big deal. No flicker. I ran the latest OS leaked by Bla1ze. Audio in side by side comparison with same selection was slightly more rich on Passport. The case of the AT&T passport is awesome, very luxurious and smooth, well weighted, great construction. Battery life was superb, used 41%.

After 9 active hours, I resigned and switched back to Classic.

In a nutshell, the form factor of the Passport is unwieldy and always makes you feel like you will drop it. All the time. The keyboard is too low leaving a heavy top end. The keys are just too large to make typing comfortable. One hand typing is almost impossible. You'll drop it.

And there it is, the Classic has slightly lesser specs but passes the usability test. For its minor shortcomings on performance, I will use Classic as my daily driver because of its fit which improves MY messaging performance, and that over arches device performance.

I like the Passport for what it packs but it'll stay as my personal device. My primary work device remains a Classic.

If in 30 days I feel the Passport warrants another shot I'll give it a whirl. If I haven't dropped it...
    You have way too much time on your hands.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 10:49 AM
    You need to use the Passport for at least a week so you can get accustomed to it. It took me a week to get the hang of it. The Passport is a really great device, but the Classic is my daily driver because the size is just right.

Posted via CB10
    Phazn and Acchaladka like this.
    03-14-15 10:49 AM
    n a nutshell, the form factor of the Passport is unwieldy and always makes you feel like you will drop it. All the time. The keyboard is too low leaving a heavy top end. The keys are just too large to make typing comfortable. One hand typing is almost impossible. You'll drop it.

These two paragraphs reflect my experience of both devices. I bought myself a Passport at Christmas. I spent two days solid trying to like the passport. At one point I attempted to send a text one handed while walking the dog, I had to stop and use two hands in fear of dropping it. The thing that struck me a that point was that would have been a task I could have done with ease with my old Q10. I could type one handed with a passport, but reaching for the last three letters on the keyboard was difficult and that would be the point where it would have ended up on the floor whilst walking the dog. I put the passport safety back in its box before it came to any damage and sent it back to Amazon and waited for the UK release of the Classic.

When the classic arrived I didn't have to try to like it, I just felt right at home with it. And that is the difference with the classic, you don't have to force it, it's the perfect size to use and it's still loveable even though it's not top spec.

I do hope you bought your Passport from Amazon because their return policy is amazing.

Classically posted.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    03-15-15 04:09 AM
    Nice article OP. Now I know I won't need to buy the Passport. Classic is where it's at!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 06:07 AM
    I sometimes use my Passport back at home for browsing. However, most of. the time I quickly switch back to the Classic. As already stated, the Passport is a great device with a lot of appeal, yet for daily use I find it kind of limiting.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 11:17 AM
    Nice post OP. I agree with the usability of the Classic. I type notes on it during meetings etc and a phone that keeps up with my usage style is a plus.

Posted via Classic
    03-15-15 11:30 AM
    If the classic had passport specs I'd probably use a classic. main thing keeping me with the passport is the battery, screen, and performance. I'm sure i could sacrifice screen for a better performing classic.

Posted via CB10 for Passport
    chinmay007, Xenolock and TheBond like this.
    03-15-15 12:36 PM
    I've had both devices since they released. The Classic is the most efficient for my use pattern.
    03-17-15 06:32 PM
    I thought I would be moving slowly with the Passport. After the first week or so, I found myself moving around with the Passport at the same speed as I did with my Bold 9900. I've always used keyboard shortcuts since my Bold days and I find that the shortcuts are very helpful for speed.

My brother has a Classic though and I can fly around on that as well. I think it's just a matter of getting used to whichever device you have. One thing I will give the Classic though is that traditional Blackberry "feel".
    03-17-15 08:17 PM
    I was the same till I bought Classic and bought Passport two weeks later again.
    My first thoughts of BlackBerry Passport was that it would fall and the keyboard was not that effective. However I was told to use it for at least a month and see how it copes. I decided to give it my best shot as I was bias towards Classic.

After a month, not only I'm accustomed to the size but can also type with the same accuracy and speed. I tried Classic last week and funnily the keyboard didn't feel right.

At the end of the day whatever that works for you. I just couldn't take the lag Classic had otherwise I wouldn't have given Passport another go.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-19-15 05:56 AM
    Had the Passport for five months and decided for the Classic about four weeks ago JUST because of the form factor and ability to one-handed use. I don`t regret it at all! Everyone has to know his own priorities and I felt that form factor is one of the most important issues for me.
    03-19-15 08:02 AM
    Yes the size did take some getting used to, but using it for more than 3-4 months, I've become accustomed to the weight and dimensions. Thankfully haven't dropped it, but really haven't felt like I was in risk of doing so too often actually. It's been very manageable, especially with a soft case to help with grip.

It's been my daily driver since converting and haven't looked back. I will try the Classic as soon as I have a chance to really try it out. I'm most afraid of really liking the Classic keyboard since I just loved the Bold 9900. Probably explains why I haven't tried it yet. ;-). Staying away with a purpose.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 08:58 AM
    After going from my Z30 to the Passport, I was already getting accustom to a larger, heavier phone for the obvious screen and battery advantages.

The typing experience took a while to become enjoyable on the Passport, but after learning the keyboard swipe gestures and modeling them into my typing style ive come to really enjoy typing on the Passport.

When the Classic came out, I was hoping it would be a flashback of my 9900 days (I considered selling my Z30 for a 9900 at one point) and after using it for a few weeks, yes, it was a definitely a flashback of my 9900 days... GREAT keyboard, great functionality with the track pad... slow to open anything, slow animations, OK battery life (crappy when compared to Passport), OK screen (again, crappy when compared to PP)...

The trade offs just didn't make sense to go FROM the Passport TO the Classic... I had gotten spoiled with the Passport and there was no changing my mind... even with a great device like the Classic

Maybe when the Classic 2 rolls around, with better specs, higher res screen... ill give it another go, but with this new slider its competition is definitely getting stiffer as time goes on
    Classic vs Passport: Daily Driver competition-img_20150319_140509.jpg

Attachment 342452

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    03-19-15 01:05 PM
    Yeah the classic reminds me of my 9900. I'm not if I could go back to a big screened phone. Not as pocket friendly for me

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 01:36 PM
    I am continuing the use of both, Classic for daily driving and Passport for personal, which involves a ton of Evernote. Evernote is kind of fun on the Passport (Android version, not native version.)

After a couple more weeks of using the Passport regularly off-work, I can't switch to it during the daytime. I still can't rock the Passport keyboard like the Classic. There are a few further 'form-factor' related items:

1) Passport sticks just enough out of a shirt-pocket to make you look like a perv - the camera is visible. This is also a Z30 issue.

2) Passport does not fit in a cupholder in a modern Mercedes Benz

Both showstoppers.
    03-20-15 04:48 PM
  23. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Well said OP. I think it's a fair comparison.

While I have not used the Classic I have had the Passport since September... and would support your thoughts...

Screen is brilliant on the passport, battery, performance, camera... but I do think Classic (ie bold 9900+) is best form factor....

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 05:35 PM
    This is all good info, I've been contemplating switching from the Passport (which I've had since launch) to the Classic...I'm just honestly getting tired of the form factor, I hate carrying it around, and it's uncomfortable and awkward in the pockets. I've also been considering just getting a holster for it, but the only one worth considering is $150. Sounds like I'd really miss the screen and the speed...though I could potentially fill that void with my iPad mini...decisions, decisions...
    03-21-15 01:56 PM
    This is all good info, I've been contemplating switching from the Passport (which I've had since launch) to the Classic...I'm just honestly getting tired of the form factor, I hate carrying it around, and it's uncomfortable and awkward in the pockets. I've also been considering just getting a holster for it, but the only one worth considering is $150. Sounds like I'd really miss the screen and the speed...though I could potentially fill that void with my iPad mini...decisions, decisions...
    Given the cost of the Classic, I think it's worth settling your curiosity. That's the reason I did it. Then I found that some things on Passport are better like note taking and personal browsing, and other things are better on the Classic like work messaging.

I would have to say the number of b's that I accidentally type going for the space bar on the Passport justified my use case.
    Last edited by bbdj92651; 03-21-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Acchaladka likes this.
    03-21-15 03:41 PM
89 123 ...