Classic vs Passport: Daily Driver competition-img_20150401_094856.jpg
    Chelmsford likes this.
    04-05-15 05:09 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150401_094856.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	345772
    I can tell you focused it on the red part of the screen, lol. Threw the white balance all off.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-05-15 05:33 PM
    Well now we know what cup holders worldwide think. LOL.

Be classically hip with the BlackBerry Classic
    04-05-15 05:51 PM
    My biggest beef with the Passport keyboard keys is that they are more difficult to press than the Classic - and you will be constantly hitting V or B when trying to hit the spacebar. My other comment was that the keyboard is too low on the Passport giving that sense of tipping out of your hand all the time. No one-hand typing unless you're Lou Ferrigno...
    Passport was never supposed to be one handed phone.
    From you comments, I can gather you didn't give Passport the time to get used to. I had exactly the same experience when I used Passport for a week or two and returned it to get Classic. However the mediocre performance of Classic made me try Passport again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time on Classic but needed some Android apps for banking etc.
    I immediately noticed how quick Passport was and then read that I have to give Passport a month to get used to the keys and let them break in.

After a month of use, not only I couldn't get back to Classic, I can't even use any other all-touch phones (my Galaxy Note Edge had been sitting collecting dust ever since).

Now I'm typing at a great speed and hitting each keys precisely. I'm not even go in detail how good Passport is for reading. I ended up selling my Classic.

These are my unbias thoughts. If you were a legacy BlackBerry user, no doubt Classic is easier to get used to but Passport is something extraordinary. Yes there's a steep learning curve and honestly that's the beauty of it. More learning means, you don't tend to get bored of the device and specially once you start hitting those letters with ease, it's well worth the effort.

Posted via CB10 using PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    04-05-15 06:17 PM
    Passport was never supposed to be one handed phone.
    From you comments, I can gather you didn't give Passport the time to get used to. I had exactly the same experience when I used Passport for a week or two and returned it to get Classic. However the mediocre performance of Classic made me try Passport again. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time on Classic but needed some Android apps for banking etc.
    I immediately noticed how quick Passport was and then read that I have to give Passport a month to get used to the keys and let them break in.

After a month of use, not only I couldn't get back to Classic, I can't even use any other all-touch phones (my Galaxy Note Edge had been sitting collecting dust ever since).

Now I'm typing at a great speed and hitting each keys precisely. I'm not even go in detail how good Passport is for reading. I ended up selling my Classic.

These are my unbias thoughts. If you were a legacy BlackBerry user, no doubt Classic is easier to get used to but Passport is something extraordinary. Yes there's a steep learning curve and honestly that's the beauty of it. More learning means, you don't tend to get bored of the device and specially once you start hitting those letters with ease, it's well worth the effort.

That's actually a bad thing that if getting used to this keyboard means you can't use other, standard, keyboards well. I always like to keep to the more universal ways of doing things because you never know if you'll need to use another device someday... In my opinion of course.

TgeekB likes this.
    04-05-15 06:42 PM
    In my defense I use both interchangeably throughout the day and have little problem switching. It's just a preference for keyboard and form factor.

There's a balance to things that make something a daily driver. A Porsche is faster than a Honda but one is easier to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.

And yes I aimed at the heart because it wouldn't focus in. I took each with the other device.
    04-05-15 08:47 PM
    In my defense I use both interchangeably throughout the day and have little problem switching. It's just a preference for keyboard and form factor.

There's a balance to things that make something a daily driver. A Porsche is faster than a Honda but one is easier to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.

And yes I aimed at the heart because it wouldn't focus in. I took each with the other device.
    :-) just sharing why the second picture has a blue tint to it. It'll do the opposite had you focused on a really blue image, it'll make everything reddish, haha.

04-05-15 11:25 PM
    That's actually a bad thing that if getting used to this keyboard means you can't use other, standard, keyboards well. I always like to keep to the more universal ways of doing things because you never know if you'll need to use another device someday... In my opinion of course.

Exactly and that's what I suggest that you should not. It's very addictive and productive. This is coming from a person who usually change phones every second month. Last time I kept a phone longer was a BlackBerry Bold.

There's no denial that Classic is a gem. If they had Passport bits in it, I wouldn't had even went on getting a Passport the second time. However I still have to find a device that makes reading articles and emails better than Passport.

04-06-15 12:20 AM
    Just curious, how do you carry your passport? I carry my 9900 in my right back pocket, and hope my new classic will ride there also. i would hate to have a phone that has to be hand carried since that means putting it down and a chance I might leave it.

Edited because my curiosity was about carrying passport not classic...
    Last edited by Soapm; 04-06-15 at 03:14 AM.
    04-06-15 12:29 AM
    I can tell you focused it on the red part of the screen, lol. Threw the white balance all off.
    I haven't read up anything on the camera on these phones, but are you saying the white balance is tied to the focus point? Normally the entire scene is evaluated for white balance.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 07:16 AM
    I haven't read up anything on the camera on these phones, but are you saying the white balance is tied to the focus point? Normally the entire scene is evaluated for white balance.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, I was more thinking about exposure settings rather than white balance. It's basically just because that image didn't contain anything that was neutral in color for the software to set the white balance correctly to.

04-06-15 09:45 AM
    Just curious, how do you carry your passport? I carry my 9900 in my right back pocket, and hope my new classic will ride there also. i would hate to have a phone that has to be hand carried since that means putting it down and a chance I might leave it.

Dress shirt pocket. I typically would avoid putting something my nose gets all personal with near my buttocks.
    04-06-15 10:19 AM

That would be my problem as well with owning a Passport. I wear mostly jeans and carry my Classic in my front pocket in the OEM sleeve, top down (this prevents accidental powering off) and with the screen facing inwards. I know the Passport wouldn't fit.
    I held one and I like how it feels in the hand and I'm sure I would get used to typing on it, but one had operation wouldn't be possible in my hand.
    Since I was going to upgrade anyway, if the Classic didn't exist, I would have bought it and I'm sure I would have been happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 10:27 AM
    Dress shirt pocket. I typically would avoid putting something my nose gets all personal with near my buttocks.
    I guess i visioned it being a bigger device, so it will fit in a shirt pocket? Then I guess it's not that big...
    04-06-15 01:40 PM
    Since I was going to upgrade anyway, if the Classic didn't exist, I would have bought it and I'm sure I would have been happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    Same here, I got the classic because of the trackpad and call keys. It's more similar to my familiar but dying 9900. But if the choices were PP or Q10 then I would be waiting on my PP.
    04-06-15 01:45 PM
    I guess i visioned it being a bigger device, so it will fit in a shirt pocket? Then I guess it's not that big...
    I had the pleasure of playing with one at an AT&T store. It looks bigger in photos than in person. Most front button-down shirt pockets should fit it well. Pants pockets are less certain.

From a Classic
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-06-15 03:32 PM
    These two paragraphs reflect my experience of both devices. I bought myself a Passport at Christmas. I spent two days solid trying to like the passport. At one point I attempted to send a text one handed while walking the dog, I had to stop and use two hands in fear of dropping it. The thing that struck me a that point was that would have been a task I could have done with ease with my old Q10. I could type one handed with a passport, but reaching for the last three letters on the keyboard was difficult and that would be the point where it would have ended up on the floor whilst walking the dog. I put the passport safety back in its box before it came to any damage and sent it back to Amazon and waited for the UK release of the Classic.

When the classic arrived I didn't have to try to like it, I just felt right at home with it. And that is the difference with the classic, you don't have to force it, it's the perfect size to use and it's still loveable even though it's not top spec.

I do hope you bought your Passport from Amazon because their return policy is amazing.

Classically posted.

Don't forget, you can dictate to the phone instead of typing using assistant.
    One handed, Lol!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 06:54 PM
    That would be my problem as well with owning a Passport. I wear mostly jeans and carry my Classic in my front pocket in the OEM sleeve, top down (this prevents accidental powering off) and with the screen facing inwards. I know the Passport wouldn't fit.
    I held one and I like how it feels in the hand and I'm sure I would get used to typing on it, but one had operation wouldn't be possible in my hand.

Posted via CB10
    The thing to understand before buying the Passport is IMHO to simply forget about this one-handed operation completely. I remember reading a good written article about the Passport and one-handed operation shortly after release. I can't remember whether it was on a blog or some website, but the way the author stated it made complete sense, the phone simply isn't designed to use it with just one hand and you should just understand it. Either adjust or get a different device, it's not like there aren't any options specifically for user who prioritise one-handed operation out there, even besides BlackBerrys own lineup.

It's no problem viewing content and do some basic navigation using the Passport with just a single hand - just like you would with a small e-book reader. However everything beyond that, especially typing, should simply not be considered.

Posted via CB10
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-07-15 01:30 AM
    I had the pleasure of playing with one at an AT&T store. It looks bigger in photos than in person. Most front button-down shirt pockets should fit it well. Pants pockets are less certain.

From a Classic
    It "barely" fits in my dress shirt pocket. And by barely, I mean it makes it look all stretched out and funny, plus it pervishly pokes out of the top with the camera, convincing everyone you're filming them surreptitiously and making the room uncomfortable.
    04-07-15 01:40 AM
    Finally got my Classic...
    My Q10 developed an intermittent fault last year, had to buy something new. Therefor I bought the Passport. A lot of good features, but never got used to the keyboard. So got a Classic, have used it for 24 hours now. I love it. It's all the good stuff from my Bolds and Q10 again. I didn't realise just how much I really missed the band with the 4 buttons and touchpad. It's fab to have it again. And the keyboard, I felt right at home, I type faster now again (the only thing bad about the best keyboard in the world is the �,� and �, in a pre-10 slide BB I had, those letters were shown in yellow and the right uppercase arrow produced these, that was faster than now).

For me, a long term user, the Classic is the best BB ever. At work I'm forced to use an iPhone 5, hate it, hate it, hate it.

To compare to the Passport, I don't miss the big screen, I enjoy it's easier to pick up, it fits easily in pockets and cup holders (when will car manufacturers find out they have to install phone holders?). The only thing I could think of that was better on the Passport was processer speed, some things that the Classic does takes just that fraction of a second longer.

If Blackberry should go bankrupt, I'll buy 5 Classic phones and have my smartphone needs covered for the rest of my life...
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-12-15 10:24 AM
    Finally got my Classic...

If Blackberry should go bankrupt, I'll buy 5 Classic phones and have my smartphone needs covered for the rest of my life...
    This! You are a true fan. Have to appreciate that.

Your OS transition was Q10 to Passport, so the switch from Passport to Classic is pure and unbiased.

I might be speaking early but I think Classic wins the daily driver competition.
    Chelmsford likes this.
    04-12-15 11:13 AM
    I might be speaking early but I think Classic wins the daily driver competition.
    Now, let's pose the same question in the Passport forum; we'll probably get a different response. I carry both on me most of the time, in the same pocket even. I enjoy using both -- for different purposes. I think it's a win for Blackberry overall.
    anon9133023 and alb101 like this.
    04-12-15 11:23 AM
    I don't understand why some people buy a device that is known to be too wide to type one handed and then complain that it's too wide to use one handed. Am I missing a brain cell?

BLΛCKBΣЯЯY ⓟⓐⓢⓢⓟⓞⓡⓣ
    anon9133023 and awindsr like this.
    04-12-15 11:55 AM
    Now, let's pose the same question in the Passport forum; we'll probably get a different response. I carry both on me most of the time, in the same pocket even. I enjoy using both -- for different purposes. I think it's a win for Blackberry overall.
    Same here, I always miss the other device, yet carrying both of them is too troublesome for my taste. I really can't decide which is the better device for me. I already wanted to sell one of them, but I just can't really make my mind about which of them.

Posted via CB10
    anon9133023 likes this.
    04-12-15 12:11 PM
89 1234