Thank you! I thought I was the only one. I've had several BBerries: 9630, 9370, and a 9900 I only gave up because of on-going, unresolved software problems...

Yes, I like the real estate, but I HATE typing on a vkb. Worse than the keyboard itself is the fact that I have to give typing my undivided attention when using a vkb. The only vkb I've developed any skill at is MessageEase. However, I suspect that the only reason is that it's actually designed for adult-sized hands.

I'm out of contract with Verizon now so I'm enjoying my $15/month discount. A Classic on a 2 year contract would cost me $100. That plus the $180/year extra I'd pay for the service totals to $460!!
    I see that Q10's are going for about $125 on eBay. I'm seriously thinking about it just to get a real keyboard again. Is the Classic's keyboard really THAT much better that it'd be worth an extra $14/month for 2 years? Hmmm.... I think that'd make a good thread.
    Q10s are cheap for a reason. With a 9900 in your past, there's a good chance you'd miss the efficient precision tool belt provides.
    TJ Strozier likes this.
    10-12-15 06:48 AM
    Q10s are cheap for a reason. With a 9900 in your past, there's a good chance you'd miss the efficient precision tool belt provides.
    Not to mention the Classic's keyboard is slightly bigger and that little bit of a difference makes a big difference in the typing. I found that the smiley shape of the 9900 helped make typing a bit easier on the smaller keyboard, when they straightened it for the Q10, you eventually got used to it but I don't think you ever get quite as fast. But the Classic is just big enough that the straight keyboard is just as good as I remember the 9900 to be.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-12-15 08:51 AM
    Not to mention the Classic's keyboard is slightly bigger and that little bit of a difference makes a big difference in the typing. I found that the smiley shape of the 9900 helped make typing a bit easier on the smaller keyboard, when they straightened it for the Q10, you eventually got used to it but I don't think you ever get quite as fast. But the Classic is just big enough that the straight keyboard is just as good as I remember the 9900 to be.

Classic's keyboard is certainly superior to Q10, IMO. I still do best single handed with the 99 but for double thumbing it, Classic is unbeatable, IMO. Its width slows me down singlehanded, tho. Interestingly, the coworker with the smallest hands LOVES her Classic. She's grown and trimmed her thumbnail to reach the far column of keys... go figure. I've been growing one of mine to try it. The rest of the crew is offering to paint it... black with berries... lol one guy has offered to insert LED lighting... lol. Great bunch here... It has, however, already impacted my bare thumb Travis style picking. For the better, some might say. lol
    10-12-15 02:54 PM
    Why would the Classic's keyboard be better than the Q10? It's literally the same exact keyboard. The phone itself is larger; therefore, if you're worried about the Q10's size, get the Classic. If not, get the Q10, you're used to have a Bold anyway, so I'm sure the size wouldn't bother you.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    10-12-15 03:27 PM
    Why would the Classic's keyboard be better than the Q10? It's literally the same exact keyboard. The phone itself is larger; therefore, if you're worried about the Q10's size, get the Classic. If not, get the Q10, you're used to have a Bold anyway, so I'm sure the size wouldn't bother you.

It looks the same but it's not literally the same exact keyboard.

The Classic's is larger and easier to type on. The Q10 feels like a tiny toy compared to the Classic and especially the Passport now.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-15 03:58 PM
    Superiority of Classic, Q10 or 9900 keyboard sizes is really splitting hairs, i think. I feel well served by any of the three keyboards. A bigger issue might be that OP currently uses a 9900 and, as a 9900 user myself (along with Classic, PP and Z30), it might not be unreasonable to conjecture that he's grown to like the toolbelt. The OP didn't specifically address it but i'm suggesting that he might eventually fatigue of reaching to tap "send" while single-handing a Q10, for example. My Q10 is deactivated and buried in a drawer because its lack of toolbelt crippled its usefulness in too many countless ways. Classic's toolbelt, on the other hand (pun intended ), provides much functionality anyone still using a 9900 might just appreciate. IMO. Menu to "Send" on Classic is much better positioned for single-handed use.
    10-12-15 04:24 PM
    Thank you! I thought I was the only one. I've had several BBerries: 9630, 9370, and a 9900 I only gave up because of on-going, unresolved software problems...

Yes, I like the real estate, but I HATE typing on a vkb. Worse than the keyboard itself is the fact that I have to give typing my undivided attention when using a vkb. The only vkb I've developed any skill at is MessageEase. However, I suspect that the only reason is that it's actually designed for adult-sized hands.

I'm out of contract with Verizon now so I'm enjoying my $15/month discount. A Classic on a 2 year contract would cost me $100. That plus the $180/year extra I'd pay for the service totals to $460!!
    I see that Q10's are going for about $125 on eBay. I'm seriously thinking about it just to get a real keyboard again. Is the Classic's keyboard really THAT much better that it'd be worth an extra $14/month for 2 years? Hmmm.... I think that'd make a good thread.
    Go to Amazon and look in the warehouse returns "very good condition in original box". I paid $240 for a SQC100-2 two months ago. Paid $459 on launch for the SQCi100-4.

The track belt is well worth it.

PIN 829A
    idssteve and Lefty724 like this.
    10-12-15 04:55 PM

Try them both and you'll see. The small difference in size makes the Classic's keyboard A LOT better. I went from a 9000, to 9900, to Q10, now Classic. Classic has the best [two-handed] typing keyboard out of all of them and the Q10 has the worst, but still good, but not as good as the rest. Classic > 9900 > 9000 > Q10
    idssteve, SK122387 and Lefty724 like this.
    10-12-15 09:40 PM
    Try them both and you'll see. The small difference in size makes the Classic's keyboard A LOT better. I went from a 9000, to 9900, to Q10, now Classic. Classic has the best [two-handed] typing keyboard out of all of them and the Q10 has the worst, but still good, but not as good as the rest. Classic > 9900 > 9000 > Q10
    I have them both. Obviously the Classic keyboard is larger since the phone itself is larger. You can't compare the keyboard of the Classic to that of the one on the Q10 because they're not the same size phone. I said the keyboards are the same because they are. They're the same keyboard on two different phone. The iPhone 4, 5, and 6 have the same exact keyboard, but the size of it changes with the size of the phones.

10-12-15 10:42 PM
    I have them both. Obviously the Classic keyboard is larger since the phone itself is larger. You can't compare the keyboard of the Classic to that of the one on the Q10 because they're not the same size phone. I said the keyboards are the same because they are. They're the same keyboard on two different phone. The iPhone 4, 5, and 6 have the same exact keyboard, but the size of it changes with the size of the phones.

So... they are the same but they are not the same? Since a change in size makes a practical noticeable difference in the way they perform, therefore, different? I honestly don't even understand what point you're trying to make here...

Not only are the dimensions different, but the spacing between the rows is different since the Classic also has narrower frets. Does that make any difference?

Or do you just want me to say they are exactly the same, however that benefits you to hear? I don't understand, but if that's what you want to hear, they are exactly the same. They are black, and have letters printed on them and click when you press on them...

10-13-15 12:34 AM
    So... they are the same but they are not the same? Since a change in size makes a practical noticeable difference in the way they perform, therefore, different? I honestly don't even understand what point you're trying to make here...

Not only are the dimensions different, but the spacing between the rows is different since the Classic also has narrower frets. Does that make any difference?

Or do you just want me to say they are exactly the same, however that benefits you to hear? I don't understand, but if that's what you want to hear, they are exactly the same. They are black, and have letters printed on them and click when you press on them...

I have both of them in front of me right now. They're the same exact keyboard, one is just bigger than the other. The keyboard of the 9930 is different, but it's a similar size to that of the Q10. Does that make sense?

10-13-15 01:50 AM
    I have both of them in front of me right now. They're the same exact keyboard, one is just bigger than the other. The keyboard of the 9930 is different, but it's a similar size to that of the Q10. Does that make sense?

*woosh* still don't get the point... Was there a bet about whether they are the same or not?

TJ Strozier likes this.
    10-13-15 09:01 AM
    Thanks for the helpful info. However, as I was reading through the replies I realized I neglected to mention another major factor: One-handed typing. This is something I do quite a lot of. I was able to mange it ok with the 9930. The Motorola Razr M is by far the least annoying vkb phone I've ever used, probably because it's so narrow. I currently have a Maxx HD and while the specs say it's only 2mm wider than the 9930, to me they're worlds apart. The Maxx HD is very awkward for me to use one-handed and the Classic is 4mm wider than the Maxx HD! The Q10 is smack in between the 9930 and the Maxx HD.

I've looked for specs on comparative keyboard width but have found nothing. Am I making any sense?
    10-13-15 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the helpful info. However, as I was reading through the replies I realized I neglected to mention another major factor: One-handed typing. This is something I do quite a lot of. I was able to mange it ok with the 9930. The Motorola Razr M is by far the least annoying vkb phone I've ever used, probably because it's so narrow. I currently have a Maxx HD and while the specs say it's only 2mm wider than the 9930, to me they're worlds apart. The Maxx HD is very awkward for me to use one-handed and the Classic is 4mm wider than the Maxx HD! The Q10 is smack in between the 9930 and the Maxx HD.

I've looked for specs on comparative keyboard width but have found nothing. Am I making any sense?
    Yes, the Q10 is easier for one-handed typing. I can one-hand type with the Classic but it isn't as easy as the Q10... But I think there are enough improvements with the addition of the toolbelt, the bigger and brighter screen, and the added ease of two-handed typing add up to be more benefits than the increased difficulty of one-handed typing, but I guess that could depend on how much that one aspect affects you in your day-to-day...

10-13-15 09:20 PM
    Typing is only part of the process. A msg, document, etc. must be assembled and then sent. Once an email is composed, it must be sent, for example. Try reaching to tap "send" at the upper corner of a q10 while your other hand is carrying a briefcase.

Classic's tool belt provides easy reach options. Track pad, for example, provides comfortable reach to far corners for shorter thumbs.

Q10's narrower keyboard makes for easier reach to the far column of keys BUT its lack of tool belt cripples overall singlehanded functionality. 9900 srill reigns king of siglehanded use but Classic is the most singlehanded friendly device currently produced, IMO.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-13-15 10:22 PM
    Pkb is definitely my preference. I despise auto-correct and love the accuracy of the Classic's pkb. Knowing when I make a typo by touch alone is lovely.

From a Classic
    slagman5 and TJ Strozier like this.
    10-14-15 09:20 AM
    Hi,

I've been on the iPhone for 8 years, and I have loved it, but mostly because I've used the media apps and so on, but now when I only use the phone for email, and calander I went over to blackberry, and I have to say, I love the keyboard on the BlackBerry, when I type on a iPhone I have to go back and retype a lot of words, spelling mistakes and so on.

It almost feels like I erase more then I write,
    So if u mostly use the phone for email and work, go with the BlackBerry but if you watch netflix and other stuff, go with the iPhone.

I use the classic and then I have a iPad for the moments I want to watch a movie or something if I'm on a flight or train.

Posted via CB10
    Lefty724 likes this.
    10-16-15 04:02 PM
    I currently have a Bold 9900 and I've been a die hard BB fan since day 1 but recently I've been thinking of upgrading to either the Classic or going to the dark side via my first I phone. I was wondering how much has the typing experienced improved on a touch screen phone and is it better and faster than typing on a qwerty nowadays.
    Before the iphone 6, I use to dread typing on any of the previous devices. For me, the 9900, Classic and Passport have the best tactile and typing feel. However, I will admit that Apple finally got it right with the 6 and 6+. Even typing on my old Galaxy S4 can be a pain (I suck at using swipe). I feel that screen size helps in the spacing of the keys. BTW- If you go with the iphone. Do yourself a favor and get a case. It's a pretty slippery device.
    10-17-15 06:19 AM
    You don't have to worry that a virtual keyboard is bad, they're all great now in terms of accuracy, speed etc.

To me, it comes down to whether or not you'd like to have a tactile feedback. I love that I can type on my BlackBerry almost blindly and while walking. It's something you can't do on a vkb at all. Also, I kind of like the feeling and the sound of a physical keyboard. It makes it more enjoyable to write longer e-mails for example.

The keyboard is basically what keeps me attached to my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:34 AM
    You don't have to worry that a virtual keyboard is bad, they're all great now in terms of accuracy, speed etc.

To me, it comes down to whether or not you'd like to have a tactile feedback. I love that I can type on my BlackBerry almost blindly and while walking. It's something you can't do on a vkb at all. Also, I kind of like the feeling and the sound of a physical keyboard. It makes it more enjoyable to write longer e-mails for example.

The keyboard is basically what keeps me attached to my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Well, all of my friends must just suck at typing then because if you look at my text conversations they can't go two texts without some crazy misspelling or some crazy autocorrect fail...

10-17-15 12:28 PM
    Well, all of my friends must just suck at typing then because if you look at my text conversations they can't go two texts without some crazy misspelling or some crazy autocorrect fail...

Most probably they do

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:23 PM
    I have an iPhone 6 plus and a Classic. The typing experience on the iphone is the best of non BB10 keyboards, IMHO. That being said, for my work (I use the classic as a work device and the iPhone as my personal device) I need to be able to type out a decent e-mail fairly quickly, with multiple paragraphs and without errors. For that, the classic wins, no contest.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 05:07 PM
    There are no VKB's that compare to that of the Z30. (I have tried all the Android options on my 8.4 and 10.1 Tab Pro's (Swift Key, Google (better than Swift Key IMO) The size, prediction, flick and type is insanely efficient and fast. The hybrid of my Passport is good as well. That said I am considering buying a Classic for the form factor and that which I have read about PKB.

Z30 wickedness
    10-17-15 09:44 PM
    The Classic has an excellent keyboard! Solid key strokes with precise accuracy! Even though glass is "faster", it still doesn't compare to the satisfaction of typing on a physical keyboard. It's no fun to type out long messages on touchscreen.. Just waiting for errors or auto correct to kick in.. The Classic has only made the typing experience better. Just makes you want to use your device.. I also came from the 9930 which BlackBerry has always made a unique device. It's a true BlackBerry and mobile device. Just as the Classic still carries on!
    10-18-15 04:02 PM
    I personally type a lot faster on my IPhone 6S. But do I enjoy typing on it more then typing on my Classic? NO I do not. Are iPhones good phones? Absolutely amazing phones. But then again it could be that I'm not as fast on my classic as on my iPhone because I switch back and forth, my iPhone being my main line and Cassic my second. They are both must have phones. I couldn't go a day without them.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:02 AM
52 123