If it launches with those specs it will fail worse then ever.

It's not going to be a big seller anyways being a physical keyboard phone.

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    Daveensannie likes this.
    08-13-14 06:09 AM
    It is weird to feel disappointed even though I know I shouldn't be. BlackBerry is still the same old BlackBerry. Release new device, give it hardly any new hardware and call it a day. All they need to do now is give the Classic a ridiculously expensive price and they can call it a day.

The upgrade from Q10 to Classic is even worse than the upgrade from Storm to Storm 2 or any of the Curves were. I'm sad that they are still trying to pull this crap, but I am very happy that consumers no longer allow them to get a way with it like they used to. The Classic will be a failure if they don't price it aggressively, which let's be honest, we all know that they won't.

Sad day, I was interested in picking one up until I heard that it was nothing more than a repackaged Q10 with a slightly bigger battery.
    HasKam and anon(4295315) like this.
    08-13-14 07:07 AM
    Q10 specs, non-removable battery, Z10 style Backdoor - NO THANKS!
    I will stick with my Q10 with the removable battery and the glasswave backdoor
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-13-14 07:26 AM
    Hope its not true....

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 07:33 AM
    I can appreciate leaning toward proven hardware for reliability sake. Their recently adopted fixed battery policy is a much bigger deal for my management. Guess I did TOO good of job slamming Apple's fixed batt just to keep management from jumping onto the iOS fad. Lol.
    08-13-14 07:35 AM
    Its not Q10 to Classic they want. Q10 is just over a year old so most oeners will need at least a year to change.

Its Curve and Bold users they want to retain and they need many but not all of the contract finishers to get the 10M per year.

There are a lot of after contract BBOS users out there too.

If the keyboard and belt work the same then the bigger screen and battery ans handsome big son of Bold should do very well.

My Z10 tells me the the specs are fine. Make the phone last a full day and you have a winner.

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    08-13-14 07:53 AM
    Yah, because the "market" for these phones will not want something more powerful, because that's bad for some reason...
    It's bad for the same reason Apple and Android phones are loosing market share in those target markets.
    08-13-14 08:03 AM
    Holy crap:
    High End => Passport
    Low End (for emerging markets) => Classic

It's actually a very smart thing to do. Are people suggesting that it would make sense to release two new $650 QWERTY phones at the same time? That's what makes sense to people?
    so crow and yunique like this.
    08-13-14 08:04 AM
    If the Classic has a 25550mAh battery like Bla1ze said it "reportedly" has, it won't matter if it's a non-removable battery. I'm getting about 30 hours of battery life on my Z30, which I mainly use for communication. The Classic will definitely beat that with the smaller screen, assuming it's also rocking an AMOLED screen, which will be a dream come true with the dark hub coming to 10.3(.1).
    Having a removable battery is for 1 to 2 year after you buy the phone and the battery life starts to deteriorate. Being able to swap out an aging battery to a new one is essential after the battery wears.

And trust me, it will wear.

The external battery won't help much either when the main phone battery is draining so fast.

My last phone, the battery would be out in 3 hours and the external battery didn't help because it still had to go through the 3 year old phone battery that cannot hold a charge. And since the battery was non removable, and the OEM did not sell the original battery because of it, I had to get a new phone.

Rechargeable battery technology still has a long way to go, and until they figure how to have lithium batteries that do not deteriorate over time, phone companies should have removable batteries, and that's what I will keep asking for.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-13-14 08:15 AM
    It really doesn't matter how gigantic of battery they fix in it, some 24/7 professionals can NEVER be tethered to a wall. I just put in a 38hr day! NO time for tether. Can't count the batt swaps over the last 3 days. My old dumb phone lasted 7+ days! But I STILL used and valued swappable batts. I fear management will shove us into that awful Casio IT's been pushing just over the batt issue alone. Ahrg!!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-13-14 08:35 AM
    I do hope the battery is removable!!, oh dear god if it's not. I've had horrible reliability with bb batteries from the pearl days through. 9900's... although my q10 has been holding up.

A better camera and camera app is a must!!!
    Q10Bold and Mr4aces like this.
    08-13-14 08:41 AM
    No real surprise here - wasn't this just supposed to be a Q10 with toolbelt and bigger screen all along? I didn't think any of the internals were marked for upgrade. Anyways, that's what I was expecting, so if that's what it is I'll still be picking one up. The only reason I didn't grab the Q10 in April (when I was due for an upgrade at work) was because of the toolbelt coming on the Classic. Hey, if they do throw in a couple surprises or minimal spec bumps, that'll be a bonus, but I don't think it's necessary for my purposes (and by extension, I'm assuming a lot of other business users as well). My immediate manager still uses a feature phone (old school type; upper management is pushing him to finally get a smart phone) - I finally have him just about convinced to pick up the Classic when it comes out, and that's because of the larger screen, keyboard and toolbelt.
    08-13-14 08:42 AM
    If the Classic has a 25550mAh battery like Bla1ze said it "reportedly" has, it won't matter if it's a non-removable battery. I'm getting about 30 hours of battery life on my Z30, which I mainly use for communication. The Classic will definitely beat that with the smaller screen, assuming it's also rocking an AMOLED screen, which will be a dream come true with the dark hub coming to 10.3(.1).
    I don't have any proof, but I somehow feel it will have an IPS display this time around. I'd actually prefer it since it has a more natural tone and better viewing angles like the Z10 and Q5.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 08:43 AM
    I don't have any proof, but I somehow feel it will have an IPS display this time around. I'd actually prefer it since it has a more natural tone and better viewing angles like the Z10 and Q5.

Posted via CB10
    That's something we'll have to wait for, but if they want the battery to last, they'll go for Amoled.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-14 08:51 AM
    I hope Slag is right and its more along the lines of the Porsche Design specs. Im sure the Q10 internals are adequate, but why would someone buy a new version of a two year old phone unless they are truly desperate for the belt. Adequate now certainly doesnt speak for adequacy a year from now when the specs will be over 3 years old. I dont see this a simply a case of choosing a passport over a classic if you want specs. Apples and oranges when you look at the significant difference in design.
    08-13-14 10:08 AM
    Must have been a bunch of Z10 parts laying around....
    08-13-14 10:09 AM
    One of the good things I took away from this article. Is my Z10 is going to get a nice performance boost when it gets 10.3.
    Not sure. Even if the cpu has the same frequency, internally the noc (and the memory) might have a higher frequency than on the z10 thanks to late hardware optimization, and this could also explain this level of performance gain. So it can still be hardware gain, not software...

spoludo.com
    08-13-14 10:27 AM
    Something to be said for the reliability of proven parts...

I seem to recall a RIM pager in the 90's with a fixed battery... maybe that's what they meant by "classic"...?? lol
    Q10Bold and Mr4aces like this.
    08-13-14 10:28 AM
    2500 mah batt would be awesome. i hope the camera is auto focus like the q10 its the only thing left that could be a deal breaker for me. i would like a removable batt but ive never bought multiple batts yet so not as big a deal for me i guess

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    I was hoping for a camera with optical image stabilization, but guess that's not happening. I guess we're getting the same "eh, it's kind of ok" camera we have on the q10...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-13-14 10:40 AM
    Tech sites will have an easy time bashing the classic for specs that look identical to a 1 year old q10 except with a bigger battery. They should use a newer cpu that is more battery efficient.

Posted via CB10
    They won't compare it to the 1 year old Q10, they will compare it to a 2 year old galaxy s3...

08-13-14 10:41 AM
    Holy crap:
    High End => Passport
    Low End (for emerging markets) => Classic

It's actually a very smart thing to do. Are people suggesting that it would make sense to release two new $650 QWERTY phones at the same time? That's what makes sense to people?
    Or give people who want the Classic style phone a high end option. Not at the same time, but at least promise there will be a high end version soon after. But if they leave it at that, then I don't know... I always like to future proof my devices. What if someone releases a bad-*** full featured photo editing app on BB10, but needs the more powerful CPU to really work well? What if there is some crazy good instant translator in the near future that would need a better CPU? Heck, what if their new intelligent assistant needs a better CPU to run smoothly? They are basically gimping the phone... And even if cost is the concern, a Z30-level CPU won't be expensive now. But funny thing about hardware, sometimes really old hardware ends up costing more. Since supply dies down when that CPU manufacturer moves on to newer versions, so now you are buying it from suppliers who have remaining stock, and sometimes they intentionally raise prices on older tech knowing people looking for them NEED that specific one instead of just wanting it. I buy PC parts all of the time and when I have to buy a specific old part, this always happen. They drive the prices way up because it's no longer mass produced... Hopefully the S4 CPU is still being mass produced...

08-13-14 10:50 AM
    I hope Slag is right and its more along the lines of the Porsche Design specs. Im sure the Q10 internals are adequate, but why would someone buy a new version of a two year old phone unless they are truly desperate for the belt. Adequate now certainly doesnt speak for adequacy a year from now when the specs will be over 3 years old. I dont see this a simply a case of choosing a passport over a classic if you want specs. Apples and oranges when you look at the significant difference in design.
    Also remember geekbench also "outed" specs for BB phones we know are cancelled...

Burton79 and anon(4295315) like this.
    08-13-14 10:52 AM
    Seems like it meets the goals that they have for the phone:

* A clear step up for those who are still holding on to legacy phones.
    * Meets the form factor requirements that legacy users want
    * Is being produced with an eye toward keeping costs moderate, in the hopes that they will still be bought in bulk by some large corporate customers.

There are definitely things that I might want to see in this phone that would be different, but if I were still using a BB Bold, this would be an option worth considering.
    thurask, ibpluto and anon(4295315) like this.
    08-13-14 11:01 AM
    Seems like it meets the goals that they have for the phone:

* A clear step up for those who are still holding on to legacy phones.
    * Meets the form factor requirements that legacy users want
    * Is being produced with an eye toward keeping costs moderate, in the hopes that they will still be bought in bulk by some large corporate customers.

There are definitely things that I might want to see in this phone that would be different, but if I were still using a BB Bold, this would be an option worth considering.
    This, this, a thousand times, this.
    08-13-14 11:06 AM
    I tap the phone symbol on my Z10, then tap on the last called contact. Two taps to do the same thing still. Not better, but still the same amount of taps though, so no worse.

Edit. Sorry, that was in to slagman from earlier on.

Z10.......er......BlackDroid in action!
    08-13-14 11:06 AM
209 ... 23456 ...