I think the price is fair, and it is an unfair comparison to go off of the examples cheap Android phones set. Android is a completely different platform with its own strengths and weaknesses.

BlackBerry is more than just the device, but an actual service and platform worth buying into for its target demographic.

Personally, considering how much I love working on a BlackBerry, I think cost for the device, and a couple hundred for the OS is quite reasonable.

To each their own, though.

Posted via CB10
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-19-14 08:16 AM
    Quality of OS + Quality of Device + Quality of Brand = cost $445 and more, guy !!
    if Blackberry phones would sell that is a valid argument but they are not ...2 million devices per quarter is a joke compared to what other OEMs sell. Apple sells that in a day and the average price is double that
    12-19-14 08:20 AM
    I do not think that the Classic buyer is very price sensitive. Either they want it or they don't. If it were $300 would a price sensitive buyer want it over a comparatively priced all touch - no. The bargain buyer wants a big screen and access to the Google Play store. BB10 is not a draw for consumers. If the Classic ran a Google Android OS it would probably get more sales than the BB10 version. The Classic is for people who want a keyboard because they send a lot of e-mails and texts or they just can't type on glass. There might be some buyers who are just bored and want to try something different.

I think the Classic is priced about right for its market. Personally, I would have preferred the larger back lit trackpad from my 9900 and even the curved keyboard. I would have preferred the shiny stainless steel rim than the cheaper looking grey. For what ever reason the Passport feels like a premium device and the Classic does not. It is like they have another gear to go. I hope they bring out a more expensive - better materials higher spec model with the old trackpad.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-19-14 08:55 AM
    Quality of OS + Quality of Device + Quality of Brand = cost $445 and more, guy !!
    That is what iPhone users say and people here bash them. Android users especially love to call the iPhone a high priced 'mid-range' device even though its processor, camera, and display are all very good. The iPhone is a high end phone in specs, design, and ecosystem and some are okay with paying $649+ for it.

The Passport isn't overpriced at all - it is a high end phone in every way. It has a high end processor, screen, and solid camera.

I agree with the OP on the classic though - $450 is too much. It reminds me of the original Moto X (which was a very good phone) but was overpriced for its specs. It started selling once Motorola lowered the price to $299/$349.

The BlackBerry Classic has Moto G specs and the Moto G is a $200 phone.

I think the Classic is a very promising device. However - the camera isn't high end, the processor isn't high end, and the screen isn't high end. I am sure that it will preform well - but you can't charge high prices just for performance or the Toyota Camry would cost $60,000.
    MarsupilamiX and tw1g_007 like this.
    12-19-14 09:59 AM
    A 2-year contract means your monthly phone service has a built-in (not line-item-listed) $20/month fee to pay back your phone subsidy. Of that $480 ($20 x 24 months), up to $450 is applied to the price of the phone, and any overage is what you pay up-front as the down-payment. So, "$50 on contract" is essentially the same as $500 outright. The fact that you can actually buy the phone for $450 outright means the contract price is further screwing you for an extra $50 (because they're only applying $400 of the $480 they'll collect from you on your monthly bill towards the cost of the phone - the rest they pocket as pure profit).

Contracts are no bargain!
    You have ever heard of "Interest Charges" or "Cost of Borrowing"? $449 is the Present Value and the Future Value of Loan to the customer is factored in.
    12-19-14 10:02 AM
    Blackberry just needs to make their factory workers work 18 days straight with little sleep like apple does. Then we could have our $200 phones.

BBC News - Secret video of 'exhausted workforce' in Chinese factory making Apple products

Posted via CB10
    You have a good point.... but your a little late with your advice. BlackBerry has been using those same factories to build the Z3 and now the Classic.

But let's be honest, if you broke down the iPhones.... they are also overpriced based on hardware alone. But the software and the ecosystem provide perceived added value. BlackBerry's problem is while the software is good, the requirement of the runtime has hampered the performance and made the UI a little less understandable. And the need to use Android is going to make many question "why not just buy a 100% compatible Android device that is cheaper and has better hardware".
    vbdwork likes this.
    12-19-14 10:02 AM
    A 2-year contract means your monthly phone service has a built-in (not line-item-listed) $20/month fee to pay back your phone subsidy. Of that $480 ($20 x 24 months), up to $450 is applied to the price of the phone, and any overage is what you pay up-front as the down-payment. So, "$50 on contract" is essentially the same as $500 outright. The fact that you can actually buy the phone for $450 outright means the contract price is further screwing you for an extra $50 (because they're only applying $400 of the $480 they'll collect from you on your monthly bill towards the cost of the phone - the rest they pocket as pure profit).

I agree except if you go back to the same carrier with your unlocked Classic you might get $10 bucks off per month. The trouble is that the carriers here in Canada do not really compete with each other.
    12-19-14 11:04 AM
    if Blackberry phones would sell that is a valid argument but they are not ...2 million devices per quarter is a joke compared to what other OEMs sell. Apple sells that in a day and the average price is double that
    You forgot to include your point.

Apple sells more phones because of the brand they created....in which most people don't care about, don't know about, and won't ever be swayed by "specs" (In Valley girl accent: " Like, uh., are specs, like uh, those pieces of dust on the screen? Uh, like, I don't like specs....")

Your logic seems to be that if BB just made higher specs they sell more phones just like Apple does.
    12-19-14 11:36 AM

Exactly. You're paying retail for the phone no matter how it's done. I'm amazed this still has to be explained to people.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-19-14 11:46 AM
    Customers asked BlackBerry to continue producing the Bold and it's available for $400. Customers said they're not willing to move to BB10 unless it had the "classic" Bold features. BlackBerry built the Classic and is selling it for $450. Customers are willing to pay $400 for very old tech because it's their workhorse. For $50 more, they have a solution for moving forward. For these customers, what's important is that they get to maintain their existing infrastructure and not have to spend time/money redoing their operations.

Will they be paying $450 for Classics? Probably not. They'll get the same volume pricing as they do for buying Bolds.

How do we know that the Classic is intended for this audience? There's a no camera version. Who would build a no camera version, in this day and age, unless they have customers that require it?

Is the Classic about expanding BlackBerry's marketshare? No. It's about keeping existing customers happy. The first step is to stem customer losses, and then expand, which is what has been outlined in their strategy.
    12-19-14 12:01 PM
    Apparently some people are fine paying for a new car with a 3 years old engine the same price of a new car with a new engine just because it is their favorite brand.
    12-19-14 12:16 PM
    I'm a fan of B I G doggies.
    A rat-on-a-rope won't work with me. A lab...a golden...an Irish Wolfhound...YEAH!!!!
    Did someone say big dogs?
    Classic specs don't warrant 9.99 price tag!-dog-open-mouth.jpg

Also, the Classic is appropriately priced. Considering the bump up in battery life, buttons, and trackpad, it will be a worthwhile upgrade to my Z10.

All replies from here on out should contain a picture of a dog.
    12-19-14 12:23 PM
    I went from the Z10 to the Passport because of the wider screen (I Like to read a lot), but I also liked buttons for typing. I was satisfied enough with the Z10's performance that I passed on an offer from my wife to trade phones (she has a Samsung S5). I would have gotten a Classic if there had been no Passport for the same reason. Passport only about an inch wider than the Z10 and about the same length (fits in pocket unless you wear skinny jeans). If buttons don't jazz you up, just stick with the Z10. It's still a good phone.
    12-19-14 12:30 PM
    Apparently some people are fine paying for a new car with a 3 years old engine the same price of a new car with a new engine just because it is their favorite brand.
    There's nothing like the Classic on the market. One could argue (and be right) that it is the best deal for a keyboard phone with a touch sensitive trackpad that can fit in your pocket.

This guy is more like the Passport. I think the Classic will be easier to live with, and more fun to use on a daily basis.
    jay64 likes this.
    12-19-14 12:31 PM
    Ip6 below 200 at WalMart with a contract
    12-19-14 12:56 PM
    Ip6 below 200 at WalMart with a contract
    Word is Classic will be $50 with a contract (link)
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    12-19-14 01:08 PM
    Customers asked BlackBerry to continue producing the Bold and it's available for $400. Customers said they're not willing to move to BB10 unless it had the "classic" Bold features. BlackBerry built the Classic and is selling it for $450. Customers are willing to pay $400 for very old tech because it's their workhorse. For $50 more, they have a solution for moving forward. For these customers, what's important is that they get to maintain their existing infrastructure and not have to spend time/money redoing their operations.

Will they be paying $450 for Classics? Probably not. They'll get the same volume pricing as they do for buying Bolds.
    I agree.

As I see it, BlackBerry has made it easier for these customers to move to BB10 while sticking to a smartphone that resembles the Bold 9900.

It's all about choice.

Edit: unable to attach dog picture using cb app :/ so Imaginary dog says Woof woof
    Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 02:06 PM
    Sorry, but quality is not equal to sold units. Grow up

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 02:07 PM
    I agree.

As I see it, BlackBerry has made it easier for these customers to move to BB10 while sticking to a smartphone that resembles the Bold 9900.

It's all about choice.

Edit: unable to attach dog picture using cb app :/ so Imaginary dog says Woof woof
    Posted via CB10
    I'll help you out....

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤
    Attached Thumbnails Classic specs don't warrant 9.99 price tag!-uploadfromtaptalk1419020307457.jpg  
    kevets likes this.
    12-19-14 02:19 PM
    Sorry, but quality is not equal to sold units. Grow up

Posted via CB10
    12-19-14 02:21 PM
    I also wanna help!!

Classic specs don't warrant 9.99 price tag!-img_20141201_135017.jpg

Posted via CB10
    kevets likes this.
    12-19-14 02:37 PM
    Word is Classic will be $50 with a contract (link)
    http://doggysurprise.com/wp-content/...p-dog-food.jpg
    If you can get a classic through Verizon or AT&T on contract for $49 then we should be seeing some BlackBerry phones sell. That's one hell of a deal.

It's a BlackBerry Z30 on Big Red
    kevets likes this.
    12-19-14 03:00 PM
    So basically u spent 240 running crossfire and how are these benchmarks? My card will still run faster then yours and my card is 3 years old.

Msi makes one of the best boards. Build quality is fantastic.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    Wait, so you think one 6950 is faster than 2 7950's? Lol, do you even actually build PC's?? LOL. Let's just do one 3GB 7950 versus your 2GB 6950 just to make it more fair ok? ;-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-19-14 03:13 PM
    BlackBerry Classic III engineering sample spotted on Internet. Price is expected to be around $450 for loyal BlackBerry customers. Limited edition in navy blue - only $550.
    Attached Thumbnails Classic specs don't warrant 9.99 price tag!-3490278408_a0b272dd2c.jpg  
    kevets likes this.
    12-19-14 03:18 PM
    People buy new cars with 3 year old engine tech/specs all the time.
    12-19-14 03:31 PM
297 ... 7891011 ...