I was going to tell you about ..."The limited app selection is a bit bummer, but the square aspect ratio is going to be a bigger problem, as a lot of Android apps just look odd in a square format. There's a fix of sorts: if you swipe down from the top of the screen in BlackBerry 10.3.1, you'll call up an app's menu. When you're running Android apps, you'll see a prompt for "Size" -- tap it, and you'll be able to choose from three different screen ratio presets, which might help things a tad."

But in vain I guess.
    Yup I know about the sizing. But thanks!

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    12-18-14 09:27 AM
    I've been thinking about the specs a lot. I think it comes down to this. Upgrading the the hardware itself would only have a marginal cost of maybe $10-$20 phone. However, BB's cost to actually design a whole new system, optimize the drivers, work out bugs, etc would be much greater than this. If there was literally a drop in processor replacement and they could use all the other same components, they probably would have taken it. Without that option though, they're really stuck in a hard spot. Making some new plastic molds and repopulating a circuit board are a lot cheaper than implementing a whole new architecture.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-18-14 09:45 AM
    Not sure why the non-removable battery is an issue... I've had my Z30 for a year and i've had to do a hard reset like... once or twice? At least few enough times that I don't remember how to do it, lol. Never had it lock up on me so bad that I couldn't get it restarted.

Proof that "Battery pulls" are a thing of the past for BlackBerry.
    thymaster and jaydee5799 like this.
    12-18-14 10:01 AM
    How do you know how not that different it is? By reading the specs? Don't you think they have worked on improving how those specs are engineered and work together?
    Secret sauce? magical ingredients? Don't be ridiculous

For example in the PC world computer manufacturers will sell a similarly spec'd out PC as last years model. slightly improved (which the Classic is slightly improved: larger screen, larger battery, tool belt, etc.) with a redesign of how all the specs work together like a improved motherboard chipset, etc. and sell it for the new PC price. Folks buy it. The model works. If you as the customer don't see the logic or the value at $449 don't buy it right away and wait for the price to drop. The Q10 came out at $599. It is now $399. BlackBerry is doing a much better job of pricing their handsets with the release of the Passport and the Classic in my opinion. I've been a BB customer for 10 years so I get it.
    You are aware of the fact that Classics SoC isn't from last year but from 2012? And for the ones who say, i'd only be looking at the cpu: none of the other hardware features weren't available at that time. So it's basically an old device with a newly updated OS. Which would be ok if it wasn't $450. The fact that you've been using Blackberys for ten years seems to have affected your ability to make objective considerations on them. Other users here don't lose that ability.

Regards to the cheap plastic backside. How do you know how much it costs? making a durable plastic component that is durable and nice to the touch comes at a costs. Plastic is not always chosen because it is cheaper. It can be chosen for weight purposes, durability, etc.
    Did I say I would know? Please read my posts carefully.

In all due respect your comments sound like a spoiled kid that doesn't really know as much as they think they know. Take my comments for what you will. Chances are you send a similar remark as the last because you probably just won't get it.
    In your comment you sound like a spoiled kid who wants to be able to speak with adults and thinks to be wiser than they are but doesn't notice what the grown-ups are really talking about.
    myfiremanishuge likes this.
    12-18-14 10:02 AM
    The price it likely to pay for the toolbelt specific R&D and dev time as well..

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-18-14 10:05 AM
    The specs don't warrant the thing launching let alone at the price it's at. Can you all stop being so protective of BlackBerry and admit they REALLY messed up here? That or they're still incompetent launching ancient hardware where new SoCs are soooooo much faster and efficient.

This is BlackBerry milking customers if it's old chip stock which is great if you are a stockholder but a rip off as a consumer.

This is the Z10 in a new shell in terms of specs... sad.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower and tw1g_007 like this.
    12-18-14 10:12 AM
    OP. More reading and less posting on things like this will save you a lot of grief. The search button is your friend.
    12-18-14 10:16 AM
    The price it likely to pay for the toolbelt specific R&D and dev time as well..

Posted via CB10
    The thing is Mercedes won't come out with a 100hp c class and call it great and sell it for 40,000. No one cares what the R&D cost was if the product is WAYYYYY sub-par in some way. IPhones I would argue have been the benchmark of smooth for a while and yet they keep updating the SoC.

I'm just very disappointed in BlackBerry right now... I'd buy a Z10 replacement with better specs but right now it's either super size to the passport or stick with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:16 AM
    Not sure why the non-removable battery is an issue... I've had my Z30 for a year and i've had to do a hard reset like... once or twice? At least few enough times that I don't remember how to do it, lol. Never had it lock up on me so bad that I couldn't get it restarted.

I agree. I had one freeze just after I got my Z30.

Specs mean very little unless you want to play big games and if that's the case buy a Nexus 6.

Classic is a work machine optimized for battery life, security, durability and productivity.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 10:25 AM
    The thing is Mercedes won't come out with a 100hp c class and call it great and sell it for 40,000. No one cares what the R&D cost was if the product is WAYYYYY sub-par in some way. IPhones I would argue have been the benchmark of smooth for a while and yet they keep updating the SoC.

I'm just very disappointed in BlackBerry right now... I'd buy a Z10 replacement with better specs but right now it's either super size to the passport or stick with the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    The classic is not a z10 replacement. From the videos i've seen it seems to runs fine with the soc it has. I don't know why some think it's a luxury device. The cost is $50 on contract.

Posted via CB10
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-18-14 10:28 AM
    BlackBerry should be ashamed of themselfs selling this phone for that much money with a 3 year old processor.

Total Ripoff from Blackberry

Z10 (red) OS10.2.2.1609 Q5 (red) OS10.3.0.1418
    vbdwork and tw1g_007 like this.
    12-18-14 10:58 AM
    At launch: high end phones sell at $600-1000, mid range sell at $400-500 and low range sell at $100-300

this is a mid range device so it's at a good stand point.
    Right now it's $50 for a 2 year contract, in a month or 2 it will be down to $0 for 2 years.

you are a bit delusional OP, I'm really hard on BlackBerry (especially with their OS development) as you see in these forums but you are referring to the price and quality of the Z3
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    12-18-14 11:02 AM
    BlackBerry should be ashamed of themselfs selling this phone for that much money with a 3 year old processor.

LMAO

Explain how it's a "ripoff" - just because the tech is slightly older, doesn't mean it's a bad deal. It seems all you folks whining about the specs and cost aren't even considering how much it actually costs BlackBerry to manufacture a phone.

It's NOT cheap.

You can't charge $200 for a device that costs you $200 to manufacture - not to mention Chen even said this himself (they can't make devices that cheap at the moment. This is BlackBerry - not OnePlus).

Also, the device isn't for specs folks, it's for Enterprise users who need a device that simply works, and suits their needs -- and that's been stated over and over.

Take a chill pill.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 11:48 AM
    LMAO

Explain how it's a "ripoff" - just because the tech is slightly older, doesn't mean it's a bad deal. It seems all you folks whining about the specs and cost aren't even considering how much it actually costs BlackBerry to manufacture a phone.

It's NOT cheap.

You can't charge $200 for a device that costs you $200 to manufacture - not to mention Chen even said this himself (they can't make devices that cheap at the moment. This is BlackBerry - not OnePlus).

Also, the device isn't for specs folks, it's for Enterprise users who need a device that simply works, and suits their needs -- and that's been stated over and over.

Take a chill pill.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry couldn't sell it for a reasonable price they shouldn't have made it. Call me crazy but I believe enterprise should care about specs too. This "professional" nonsense has been an excuse for BlackBerry for too long. Look at the PlayBook marketing...

The Z10 was okay because it wasn't too far behind but the classic is just pathetic in specs. A modern SoC would use much less power and give better battery life. You can't tell me enterprise doesn't like battery life.

No one cares if the next BMW 328i costs 60k to manufacture and BMW needs to make a profit. If I'm not going to buy that car for that price then I'm not going to buy it, manufacturer profits be damned. It's just not how the economy works... The consumer should not care how much it costs to make. If it's not worth it to them then they won't buy it.

PS. 2 years is not slightly older in the ARM SoC world. It's an eternity.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    12-18-14 12:02 PM

Probably to swap batteries, which I can see on a Z10...

I actually started to get random reboots on my Z10 and I think it was due to the battery losing the connection.

I haven't actually done it, but it doesn't look to be all that hard to replace a Z30 battery if need be. Non-removable just means non-removable by normal people on the fly. Necessarily that it's soldered on or anything.
    12-18-14 12:17 PM
    Compared to the 9900 that enterprise is rocking right now the Classic will be a huge improvement - for those users that can not be weaned from their PKB.

A bonus for us BB10 owners is that it is likely that BlackBerry 10 OS updates should apply to the current models a little longer than they might have or so you would think.

$449 is an OK price just not a great price. I would hope that fleet buyers get a discount.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-18-14 12:29 PM

In another thread I made the point that there's a cost associated with purchasing quality "tools of the trade". I've spent 2 years wrestling an Android that is fine for surfing the net and reading documents. But when I have to write a client an email full of technical information that's essentially a page and a half Word document, the Android virtual keyboard is a piece of crap! If I were a carpenter, then I've been using a hammer with a cracked handle. It's fine for tapping on things but when it's time to go to work and hammer something, it hurts and isn't much good. And my wife's iPhone "whatever" isn't any better for what I do, yet it's fine for her purposes. Not to mention the battery life on my Android, even with the oversized battery pack, is terrible!

When it comes to my tools of the trade, I pay what it costs to buy the quality I need. Most professionals and small business owners are the same way. The market for the Classic may be bigger than you think because a lot of us who have been waiting on the Classic aren't enterprise-type users and never will be.

If you don't "get" what the Classic is designed to do and don't have needs that the Classic addresses, don't buy it! To me, all these criticisms and specification arguments, while ignoring the device's actual performance of its designed purposes, simply show the poster is either not in the target market or just posting stuff for kicks.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-18-14 12:34 PM
    Haha, funny how the fanboys are trying to defend the 2012 hardware and the high price tag. Never understood people who defend every decision of a manufacturer just because the identify themselves with a certain brand. One can use a phone and still be able to have an objective view on it...
    Just as APPLE quotes $800 for the iPhone6 and sheep defend it, even though it may have 2012 specs and 1GB RAM with NFC thrown in, with a home button, cheap material which bends
    JoseMercedes likes this.
    12-18-14 12:50 PM
    The specs don't warrant the thing launching let alone at the price it's at. Can you all stop being so protective of BlackBerry and admit they REALLY messed up here? That or they're still incompetent launching ancient hardware where new SoCs are soooooo much faster and efficient.

This is BlackBerry milking customers if it's old chip stock which is great if you are a stockholder but a rip off as a consumer.

This is the Z10 in a new shell in terms of specs... sad.

Posted via CB10
    you will never win against them. Some here think the Passport specs are much better but that phone still has a May 2013 cpu with still 32 bit architecture making it dead obsolete too, but they call it premium. lol
    tw1g_007 likes this.
    12-18-14 12:52 PM
    LMAO

Take a chill pill.

Posted via CB10
    The few enterprise customers left are not as stupid as you think...they are well aware about specs.
    12-18-14 12:57 PM
    It's cheaper than Z10 when it first came out...
    It's Z10 in new clothing...

ODIN 9520 / 5.0.0.1743 Hybrid / 1850mAh
    When the Z10 came out, the hardware was only 1 year old, not 3. It should cost maybe $50 more than what a Z10 costs NOW.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-18-14 12:58 PM
    The few enterprise customers left are not as stupid as you think...they are well aware about specs.
    Don't recall saying "stupid"

I conveyed that it's not for 'spec junkies' - obviously.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 01:01 PM
    Remember Chen's statement about designing the Classic. He stated there was a lot of development necessary to add these buttons. Therefore it is reasonable to expect that they spent a lot on R&D.
    I see absolutely no problem with the 450. I'll be getting one. And I'm generally thought of as a troll around these parts. Therefore there should be no problems for folks here.
    Remember Enterprise gets discounts per negotiated contracts. My refresh SG5 for work cost the feds 500. So Enterprise are likely to get a price break, therefore they won't mind the cost.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    Wait Q, are you sure your banking apps are there for Classic?

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-18-14 01:19 PM
    They won't be. I don't think. But I always wanted a white Bold and this is as close as I'll get ever.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    12-18-14 01:21 PM
    I am completely impartial on this topic... not interested in Classic at all. lol

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-18-14 01:22 PM
297 ... 23456 ...