The price is not worth it..yes..but people will buy it and BlackBerry knows that.

BlackBerry Passport - 10.3 - WIND Mobile
    Exactly. Pricing isn't just about specs, it's what the market will bear. BlackBerry obviously believes the return of the tool belt coupled with latest software will convince the diehards to upgrade. Judging from the response so far, they're probably right.
    seacan2, app_Developer and ponpiri like this.
    12-18-14 05:55 AM
    Then don't buy one!!

DHS
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 06:00 AM
    What a joke.

Sure I'm not one of those people OVERLY obsessed with specs but when they are not priced appropriately, it becomes an issue. I really want to like this phone but it's just drawback after drawback preventing me from making a solid purchase.

* No removable batteries was a huge let down.
    * The specs are a laughable.
    * Tool belt issues.

Before BlackBerry gets my hard earned money on the Classic, I will need price reductions to roughly $250 minimum. Guess I will be sticking with the Z10 for a little longer.

via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    You really need to stop looking at specs, numbers are highly looked at yet fail to understand optimization with software. You are paying for a well built phone and a state of the art operating system that is unmatched with security. Yes the price is on the spot.

A car with low hp will out perform a car with high hp, because they way it is optimized.

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 06:02 AM
    the price of the specs are too damn high!
    12-18-14 06:45 AM
    Yes, if you start making a 2005 car from scratch, you'll have almost same expenses like making a 2015 car. What's the point making a 2005 car in 2015 though? Classic is a Q10 in slightly larger body. Hardware technology is the same, keyboard technology is the same, OS is long awaited BB10 update for all devices. Can you argue with that? Parts for 2 years old hardware are cheap (who else is still using this SoC on a new device?), design has minimal changes (Bold/Q10 hybrid), shipping is the same for all devices, packaging cost is no different too. BlackBerry decided to spend a lot of money to produce a 2012 phone. Phones need processing power not only to run the OS smoothly. Have you seen the difference in loading/scrolling Maps (and any other app) on Q10 and Passport? Size... speed does matter.
    You have never had to manufacture anything have you. Each piece had to be designed again. If the circuit board the same? No. Is the frame the same? No. Is the keyboard the same part? No. Each time you change something, you have to design it, test it, manufacture new pieces and assemble it on new production lines. The only cost savings is REUSING old part. I doubt there is a single piece that is the same. Any change to any piece requires work, just modifying existing pieces to make new ones incurs almost the same cost as producing new.
    12-18-14 06:53 AM
    Love the non battery. Hopefully the keyboard will be even more solid now.
    12-18-14 06:58 AM
    What profession is the OP in to determine what specs warrant what price tag? Does he know where BB sourced the hardware? How about the R&D cost that went into the Classic? Does he know enough about the internal economics of BB to make that claim?

Dude, if you don't want the phone don't buy it. If you want to complain about it, talk to your therapist. This community is here to help people, not listen to your piddly a$$ problems.
    12-18-14 06:58 AM
    What profession is the OP in to determine what specs warrant what price tag? Does he know where BB sourced the hardware? How about the R&D cost that went into the Classic? Does he know enough about the internal economics of BB to make that claim?

Dude, if you don't want the phone don't buy it. If you want to complain about it, talk to your therapist. This community is here to help people, not listen to your piddly a$$ problems.
    If this topic was against the rules for the board it would be deleted by now. Your comments make you look pretty silly (no offense). Get off your high horse.

If I want to complain I should talk to a therapist? Well if you are going to act like a jacka$$ you should pretty much join my session in tandem.

via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    12-18-14 07:03 AM
    I respectfully disagree

I don't think you've consider all the quality materials in this phone. I love it when they said at the launch the Classic was built to last. BlackBerry phones are built to break into, not break out of... There is a reason people change phones every two years: most won't last longer than that!
    You got it right. People see $$$ upfront and never see $$$$$$ over time. It is TCO (Total Cost of Ownership). Blackberry phones traditionally last a long time. All those still on BBOS will tell you that.
    thymaster, ponpiri and seacan2 like this.
    12-18-14 07:04 AM
    The argument concerning software development/support can be refuted as there is a device available (Q10) that has comparable hardware and is much cheaper. When buying it, you get exactly the same software support as a Classic buyer. Even cheaper devices like Q5 get the same support.
    So there is no development costs on the BB10 OS since the Q10 was first released? Give you head a shake.
    12-18-14 07:05 AM
    Specs maybe not, but someone has to pay for all this development to bring Bold features to the BB10.
    And, for the people using this phone for the living, with muscle memory dating many years back, it's worth every penny.
    Me? I am more than happy with Z30. So if you don't like price of the Classic, buy Z30 or Q10 for 299, it's a steal for this price.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:11 AM
    I don't think you're considering the costs for a company like BlackBerry to manufacture a phone, the external materials, and who the device is aimed at in addition to the fact that they need to charge a premium in order to even make a slight profit.

Lots more goes into the overall end cost to the consumer than you've given thought to...

Posted via CB10
    The Classic is manufactured by Foxconn, Blackberry is off the hook for hardware cost
    12-18-14 07:46 AM
    You have never had to manufacture anything have you.
    You are correct. I never had to manufacture anything that is already 2 years old on the release date. And I don't recall any other mobile device manufacturer to release a new luxury product based on old technology.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 07:59 AM
    From an android user point of view sure. But this is HW + Security and a more superior OS. Apple is way over priced based on your criteria.
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 08:09 AM
    So there is no development costs on the BB10 OS since the Q10 was first released? Give you head a shake.
    Somebody who buys a Q10 in 12/2014 instead of a Classic pays for it in 12/2014 and not the day it was first released. Give you head a shake
    12-18-14 08:14 AM
    1. Fact? Prove this!
    2. I am I customer. I can decide to buy a classic or a q10. Classic is much more expensive without being that different. Therefore I regard the classic as overpriced. Got that?
    3. Who said that blackberry should sell classic with just a 10$ profit?
    4. Obviously they were not as high as they used the same soc/screen resoultion etc. So a lot of r&d costs were already spent when developing older BB10 devices. In fact BB10 is already optimized to run on faster hardware
    5.never said it was the same. Premium materials? Like the cheap plastic backside? Rofl.
    I suggest that you face the fact that one doesn't have to be a fanboy and defend every decision of a company. One can simply use a phone and naming the flaws. You are obviously not able to do that. That's why you are a fanboy and not an objective customer.
    How do you know how not that different it is? By reading the specs? Don't you think they have worked on improving how those specs are engineered and work together?

For example in the PC world computer manufacturers will sell a similarly spec'd out PC as last years model. slightly improved (which the Classic is slightly improved: larger screen, larger battery, tool belt, etc.) with a redesign of how all the specs work together like a improved motherboard chipset, etc. and sell it for the new PC price. Folks buy it. The model works. If you as the customer don't see the logic or the value at $449 don't buy it right away and wait for the price to drop. The Q10 came out at $599. It is now $399. BlackBerry is doing a much better job of pricing their handsets with the release of the Passport and the Classic in my opinion. I've been a BB customer for 10 years so I get it.

Regards to the cheap plastic backside. How do you know how much it costs? making a durable plastic component that is durable and nice to the touch comes at a costs. Plastic is not always chosen because it is cheaper. It can be chosen for weight purposes, durability, etc.

In all due respect your comments sound like a spoiled kid that doesn't really know as much as they think they know. Take my comments for what you will. Chances are you send a similar remark as the last because you probably just won't get it.
    12-18-14 08:44 AM
    Wonder how many of you complaining have looked at the specs and pricing for a BOLD 9900..... it's $388 on Shop BlackBerry. Buy it from you Carrier... Verizon has it at $499 or $99 on 2-Year Contract.

Many here (and maybe even at BlackBerry) have gotten too use to the write offs and slashing of pricing that the PlayBook started and the Z10 continued...

But if BlackBerry is going to make a profit, and they don't have the buying power of MUCH larger companies, and they are now having to pay 3rd Parties to build products.... you had better get use the the "Classic" pricing that BlackBerry once had!
    m1a1mg and wincyUt like this.
    12-18-14 08:49 AM
    The q10 is still $399. The q5 is $349.

I think some of you don't know the difference between contract and off contract pricing. It's like $50 on contract.

Posted via CB10
    Jiggy1971 and ponpiri like this.
    12-18-14 08:52 AM
    You are correct. I never had to manufacture anything that is already 2 years old on the release date. And I don't recall any other mobile device manufacturer to release a new luxury product based on old technology.

Posted via CB10
    There is engineering and re engineering going on that isn't 2 years old. Read my other posts.

This is not a phone to compete with the S5, Note 4, or iphone 6 or plus. This is a phone for folks that want the BlackBerry experience. At $449 they have taken into account the specs are the latest, greatest. They put 4 cylinder engines they designed several years ago in the smaller Lexus. Folks buy it because it is a Lexus and is of good quality. Which is what they won't.

Why is it so many folks posts come across like spoiled kids in these forums?
    12-18-14 08:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's not a luxury device. It's pretty much replacing the q5 in the lineup but with a much better build quality. That's why it's $50 on contract genius. The passport is the high end device.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 08:59 AM
    People who think this phone should be priced at $200 are out to lunch and have absolutely no clue about development and manufacturing.
    1) Just because BlackBerry wanted to sell a small amount of Q10s at rock bottom prices to clear them out before the Classic came out does not mean the price is now $200 for such a phone
    2) BlackBerry spent $1.3 BILLION in R&D last year. If you expect them to sell phones as COST, how the hell are they supposed to make back any of their development costs? What about their other operating costs?
    3) For those who have nothing better to do than troll every single thread and whine about pricing, here's my suggestion to you. Instead of trolling the threads, go get a part time job and in a week, you'll be able to afford to buy the phone at $449.
    thymaster and ponpiri like this.
    12-18-14 09:07 AM
    It's not a luxury device. It's pretty much replacing the q5 in the lineup but with a much better build quality. That's why it's $50 on contract genius. The passport is the high end device.

Posted via CB10
    Think it's meant to replace the Q10, but for streamlining purposes they may choose to end the Q5 line at some point also.
    12-18-14 09:08 AM
    Remember Chen's statement about designing the Classic. He stated there was a lot of development necessary to add these buttons. Therefore it is reasonable to expect that they spent a lot on R&D.
    I see absolutely no problem with the 450. I'll be getting one. And I'm generally thought of as a troll around these parts. Therefore there should be no problems for folks here.
    Remember Enterprise gets discounts per negotiated contracts. My refresh SG5 for work cost the feds 500. So Enterprise are likely to get a price break, therefore they won't mind the cost.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!
    thymaster likes this.
    12-18-14 09:13 AM
    I'm happy with my Z30.

From my Z30
    12-18-14 09:17 AM
    Remember Chen's statement about designing the Classic. He stated there was a lot of development necessary to add these buttons. Therefore it is reasonable to expect that they spent a lot on R&D.
    I see absolutely no problem with the 450. I'll be getting one. And I'm generally thought of as a troll around these parts. Therefore there should be no problems for folks here.
    Remember Enterprise gets discounts per negotiated contracts. My refresh SG5 for work cost the feds 500. So Enterprise are likely to get a price break, therefore they won't mind the cost.

Posted from my SEXY Q10 that I'd STILL be using IF I could find my FRACKING BANKING APP on BBW. And no I won't put Android apps here so don't EVEN go there!!!!

I was going to tell you about ..."The limited app selection is a bit bummer, but the square aspect ratio is going to be a bigger problem, as a lot of Android apps just look odd in a square format. There's a fix of sorts: if you swipe down from the top of the screen in BlackBerry 10.3.1, you'll call up an app's menu. When you're running Android apps, you'll see a prompt for "Size" -- tap it, and you'll be able to choose from three different screen ratio presets, which might help things a tad."

But in vain I guess.
    12-18-14 09:20 AM
297 12345 ...