I just wanted them to drop the price by $100 like they did for the passport. Just for the first day or two didn't even have to be a week. They were selling them at the release Events for $350!

Edit: I will mostly definitely drop the $500 CDN for a blue one though.
    Posted via CB10
    A 350 reduction that quickly would be very tempting even for me. I have tried to justify the 450 price tag but the non-removable battery is such a hindrance. It's a psychological thing at the moment and not because I can't afford it and support BlackBerry.

via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    12-18-14 01:01 AM
    Haha, funny how the fanboys are trying to defend the 2012 hardware and the high price tag. Never understood people who defend every decision of a manufacturer just because the identify themselves with a certain brand. One can use a phone and still be able to have an objective view on it...
    I would gladly pay $450 for this phone (actually, I have already pre-ordered it). To me, just the BB10 OS alone without the hardware is worth that much!
    thymaster and seacan2 like this.
    12-18-14 01:16 AM
    Haha, funny how the fanboys are trying to defend the 2012 hardware and the high price tag. Never understood people who defend every decision of a manufacturer just because the identify themselves with a certain brand. One can use a phone and still be able to have an objective view on it...
    Personally I wouldn't buy the phone as I love my q10 and I would only consider the passport as an upgrade over this. The only thing I defend is when people try to reason with specs only. There's also software they have to work on. they just came out with 10.3.0 and 10.3.1 and both of them are huge improvements with tons of new features over their predecessor. Also blend. If they would still be fixing 10.2.1 I would say hell yes, the classic is overpriced as ****, but as a software engineer I have a fair view of the time and amount of work put into the updates. I feel the 450 is justified.

BlackBerry Q10 SQN100-3
    Jrox74, mk2234, seacan2 and 1 others like this.
    12-18-14 01:21 AM
    I respectfully disagree

I don't think you've consider all the quality materials in this phone. I love it when they said at the launch the Classic was built to last. BlackBerry phones are built to break into, not break out of... There is a reason people change phones every two years: most won't last longer than that!
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 01:49 AM
    The argument concerning software development/support can be refuted as there is a device available (Q10) that has comparable hardware and is much cheaper. When buying it, you get exactly the same software support as a Classic buyer. Even cheaper devices like Q5 get the same support.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-18-14 02:02 AM
    It's cheaper than Z10 when it first came out...
    It's Z10 in new clothing...

ODIN 9520 / 5.0.0.1743 Hybrid / 1850mAh
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-18-14 02:18 AM
    The argument concerning software development/support can be refuted as there is a device available (Q10) that has comparable hardware and is much cheaper. When buying it, you get exactly the same software support as a Classic buyer. Even cheaper devices like Q5 get the same support.
    those devices have been discontinued and they had a lot of them on stock that they never sold... so they likely just wanted to break even by selling them at $200. but also, even if they were still produced, the manufacturing line is already set up and paid for, while they had to setup a completely new one for the classic... also, same support? you mean the fact that its been 3 or 4 months and no 10.3.x update and it wont even happen for another 2-3 months?
    12-18-14 02:19 AM
    Do not forget to include blend in the price

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 02:21 AM
    I don't get what you folks are saying. I believe it is a fair price. They have improved upon the 9900, and the Q10. Both phones started out higher and are slightly lower at this point. With a contract most places are offering it at $49. That is a very fair beginning price. I am not sure I get where you folks are coming from.
    thymaster, seacan2 and ponpiri like this.
    12-18-14 02:26 AM
    those devices have been discontinued and they had a lot of them on stock that they never sold... so they likely just wanted to break even by selling them at $200. but also, even if they were still produced, the manufacturing line is already set up and paid for, while they had to setup a completely new one for the classic...
    a) Doesn't change the fact that they are available and the new device has to face the competition.
    b) Production of Q10 was ceased 08/2014. It can still be bought regularly.

Do not forget to include blend in the price
    Do not forget that Q10 gets Blend, too.

A fictious Classic with certain things like perhaps a convenience key, Z30 SoC and removable battery (or whatever one can critcize) would make the device perhaps $5 or $10 more expensive for them. But as it would give customers a much higher value than the Classic they decided to publish, the $450 price tag would clearly be much more justified.
    12-18-14 02:29 AM
    facts:

1, legacy devices are not officially supported for 6 or more months since 10.3 release
    2, they dont make profit on legacy devices at this point, its just to break even or just lose less than not selling them at all
    3, you cant keep up developing the OS by only making like $10 on a phone just because you compare it to devices that have been discontinued
    4, theres still r&d costs involved, costs of setting up a manufacturing line and so on
    5, hardware is still not the same as the q10, the soc is but thats it, new antenna, bigger lcd screen, bigger battery, new design, premium materials and so on

i really dont care to further explain that the soc itself isnt the main pricing factor, at this point i would just suggest getting an android phone because you dont even want to accept that there are other costs than just the soc. go and sell your own phones with your own os and price it at the cost of the HW ONLY +10-20% and we'll see how long you survive
    Last edited by dvarnai; 12-18-14 at 02:55 AM.
    Bluenoser63, Xenolock and Jrox74 like this.
    12-18-14 02:42 AM
    facts:

1, legacy devices are not officially supported for 6 or more months since 10.3 release
    2, they dont make profit on legacy devices at this points, its just to break even or just lose less than not selling them at all
    3, you cant keep up developing the OS by only making like $10 on a phone just because you compare it to devices that have been discontinued
    4, theres still r&d costs involved, costs of setting up a manufacturing line and so on
    5, hardware is still not the same as the q10, the soc is but thats it, new antenna, bigger lcd screen, bigger battery, new design, premium materials and so on

i really dont care to further explain that the soc itself isnt the main pricing factor, at this point i would just suggest getting an android phone because you dont even want to accept that there are other costs than just the soc. go and sell your own phones with your own os and price it at the cost of the HW ONLY +10-20% and we'll see how long you survive
    1. Fact? Prove this!
    2. I am I customer. I can decide to buy a classic or a q10. Classic is much more expensive without being that different. Therefore I regard the classic as overpriced. Got that?
    3. Who said that blackberry should sell classic with just a 10$ profit?
    4. Obviously they were not as high as they used the same soc/screen resoultion etc. So a lot of r&d costs were already spent when developing older BB10 devices. In fact BB10 is already optimized to run on faster hardware
    5.never said it was the same. Premium materials? Like the cheap plastic backside? Rofl.
    I suggest that you face the fact that one doesn't have to be a fanboy and defend every decision of a company. One can simply use a phone and naming the flaws. You are obviously not able to do that. That's why you are a fanboy and not an objective customer.
    12-18-14 02:55 AM
    1. Fact? Prove this!
    2. I am I customer. I can decide to buy a classic or a q10. Classic is much more expensive without being that different. Therefore I regard the classic as overpriced. Got that?
    4. Obviously they were not as high as they used the same soc/screen resoultion etc. So a lot of r&d costs were already spent when developing older BB10 devices. In fact BB10 is already optimized to run on faster hardware
    5.never said it was the same. Premium materials? Like the cheap plastic backside? Rofl.
    I suggest that you face the fact that one doesn't have to be a fanboy and defend every decision of a company. One can simply use a phone and naming the flaws. You are obviously not able to do that. That's why you are a fanboy and not an objective customer.
    1. been 4 months and yesterday during the Q&A they said it would come in february, thats 6 months lol.
    2. the q10 costs so much more than a slice of bread, therefore its expensive with your logic. producing a new product still involves a lot of extra costs even if you dont want to accept that
    3. at this point i doubt you want them to get any profit on them, also you still only compare the SoC. you have no idea (neither do I) about the actual costs to develop the OS, add support for a new component, the trackpad in EVERY. SINGLE. APP and so on
    4. right because adding a trackpad from the ground up is easy just because they had such more than 3 years ago on a completely different os... right. adding new components DO HAVE a high R&D cost, especially if you have to add support for it everywhere from the ground up
    5. q10 "glass"weave is just as well plastic, sorry to disappoint. the bezel is stainless steel, the camera "door" on the back is glass etc. also theres difference between plastic and plastic lmao. samsung uses the highest grade plastic for their phones used in space research, i guess you still call that cheap plastic, yet its really not and costs more than the steel back of a htc one... also, the classic uses corning gorilla glass, q10 uses normal glass...

call me a fanboy right, yet i have a galaxy s3, s4, xperia z and i even admitted that i wouldnt buy a classic myself, but you are just a clueless troll who have no idea how hardware manufacturing and software development works. just because you claim the soc is not new it wont make the cost of coming up with a new product using the old soc any less expensive, as coming up with a new product itself has a lot of costs, the hardware used is really just a minor part of it all

edit: i dont even care if its blackberry, apple, samsung or sony. im defending companies in general. just because you think something is expensive it wont make their costs any less. and i truly believe that they didnt overprice it by hundreds just to get some short term profit, it doesnt really how the company worked since john chen is in charge... free BES for small companies with the EZPass program or whatever it was called, exchanging iphones for passports, the passport itself which is probably the cheapest flagship blackberry ever produced and so on
    12-18-14 03:12 AM
    I will add to this, the iPhone 6 is only only duel core and 1.5 GB ram and it's going for $750. Mod should go tell Apple off that their phones are over priced and that he refuses to buy it. LOL.

The specs don't warrant a $449.99 price tag??? you are absolutely right! but the 'BRAND' warrants $449.99

THINK FELLA! they need to make money and this is blackberry... the king of the hill during the 90's/early 2000's
    Jrox74, seacan2 and werkregen like this.
    12-18-14 03:31 AM
    1. In market devices will get the update in february. As classic wasn't available 6 month before february and didn't even launch with 10.3 I don't see your weird calculation as a fact.
    2. I accept that there a extra costs. I never wrote that this wasn't the case. Please read others posts and don't interpret them the way you would like them to be. I just don't see that the amount of extra costs are justified. Of course classic has to be more expensive than Q10. Just not as expensive as it is
    3. Why do you doubt this? Why do you think i am only regarding the soc? Stop putting words in my mouth!
    4. I don't see many new components on classic that were not already present in other devices that are already available. The OS needs further development no matter whether classic has the specs the put into or would be $10 more expensive to produce. Passport has a much better specs (not only soc!)/price ratio than classic does. And you know what? It gets updated, too...
    5. Of course there are differences between plastic and plastic. That's why i said that classic has a cheap plastic backside. Just like z10 has.
    anon(9184750) likes this.
    12-18-14 03:33 AM
    450 is a fair price. I will do 450. In white.

Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    12-18-14 03:34 AM
    I will add to this, the iPhone 6 is only only duel core and 1.5 GB ram and it's going for $750. Mod should go tell Apple off that their phones are over priced and that he refuses to buy it. LOL.
    Iphones soc is light years faster than cassics. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about
    12-18-14 03:37 AM
    I have posted this once and I post it again here.

The purpose for non-removable battery is it's engineered to increase space so that they can increase the battery size and capacity to at least 35% more. Would you rather have 35% bonus juice or have a removable battery option with 35% less juice. This is why Apple engineers took the internal battery route in the first place. People where complaining back then until some understood the fact and live it.

A 350 reduction that quickly would be very tempting even for me. I have tried to justify the 450 price tag but the non-removable battery is such a hindrance. It's a psychological thing at the moment and not because I can't afford it and support BlackBerry.

via CB10 - CH(s): (C0012477B , C003B32E9) - OS 10.2 Rogers
    wincyUt likes this.
    12-18-14 03:42 AM
    And you're obviously not understanding the post. It's sarcasm post. Apple set it's high phone price for a reason and so is Blackberry. If OP thinks the classic is expensive with the current specs then he should tell Apple that their low spec iPhones are over priced and see how they respond.

Iphones soc is light years faster than cassics. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 03:50 AM
    No i didn' get it. The difference is that iphones are among the best-selling devices available. People who are buying them are not really "price sensible" customers. No BB10 device has ever been a success. We'll see how soon BB has to adjust classics pricing as they had to do with z10/z30/q10/q5 because "nobody" bought them.
    12-18-14 03:56 AM
    The specs don't warrant a $449.99 price tag??? you are absolutely right! but the 'BRAND' warrants $449.99

THINK FELLA! they need to make money and this is blackberry... the king of the hill during the 90's/early 2000's
    Easy with the brand propaganda. The brand is probably the fourth or fifth popular our there.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 04:03 AM
    Ok let me make this clear, I haven't said anything bad about your wall hugging phone so don't get defensive. I'm just saying Apple hardware specs are typically low but they perform great and consumers love it and willing to pay any price for an Apple phone. If it's a consumer phone I'm looking for I would totally go buy an iPhone.

Blackberry have it's worth as well. It's priced $450 for a reason and which to me is fair and because it's a different tool then Apple iPhone. Most of the buys are going to be corporate customers and they are willing to dish out $450 easily for a productivity phone vs. a $750 iPhone where people are most like going to play games all day which is fun as well. It's a no brainer in business the Classic is by far the better return on investment choice because it's a productivity device.

No i didn' get it. The difference is that iphones are among the best-selling devices available. People who are buying them are not really "price sensible" customers. No BB10 device has ever been a success. We'll see how soon BB has to adjust classics pricing as they had to do with z10/z30/q10/q5 because "nobody" bought them.
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 04:35 AM
    1. Fact? Prove this!
    I believe calling members fanboys are against the rules on this forum so I have hit the report button and would suggest others do the same.
    seacan2 likes this.
    12-18-14 04:37 AM
    Tell them...

Posted via CB10
    12-18-14 04:46 AM
    I'm just saying Apple hardware specs are typically low but they perform great and consumers love it and willing to pay any price for an Apple phone.
    Apple hardware specs are typically low? Are you serious? Every single iPhone flagship device comes on top of all processing power benchmarks. Current dual-core iPhone 6 design is faster than any other SoC on the market, including octa-core variants. I don't like iOS, but I have to admit Apple hardware engineers are best of the best.
    12-18-14 05:23 AM
297 1234 ...