So I am new to BlackBerry phones and the first one I got was the Classic and it arrived abt a week ago. I have discovered a few shortcuts w/ it (multiselect emails in hub/quick launch of apps by assigning a letter/holding down a letter for a moment to make it capitalized) basic stuff. But for those who are familiar with the toolbelt or for those who have used the Classic for a while, what are the handiest keyboard/toolbelt shortcuts you use on a daily basis? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 03:30 PM
    Here is what I always post:

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.

2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.

3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.

4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.

5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.

6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.

7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.

8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.

9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Enjoy :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    04-17-16 05:19 PM
    Love interacting with the OS with the toolbelt
    04-18-16 01:29 AM
    Thank you for that. I am learning these as we speak

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 02:20 AM
    Here is what I always post:

1. To minimize an app, press the call end button. Simple enough, but you can build on that. From the homescreen with the apps in active frame (minimized), highlighting one and pressing the back key will close it. So combine this with the fact that pressing call end will minimize it, if you want to outright close a program, all you have to do is press call end, then back, since it highlights the app you just minimized automatically. The benefits to this are that not only do you not need to move your thumb as much, but you can do this without looking at your phone. Swiping up and touching the x requires looking.

2. While in an app, pressing the BB button will open the overflow menu (3 dots on the bottom right). If that menu has more than one page, simply swipe on the trackpad in the direction of the other page and it'll switch.

3. To access the top menu inside apps, no more need to reach your thumb all the way to the top of the screen, simply long press the BB button.

4. As long as the phone app isn't minimized (where you might have navigated away from the main phone log), when you bring up the phone app by pressing the call send button, the last call should be highlighted, so to quickly redial the last number, simply press the call send button twice.

5. From the hub, holding the shift key and swiping up or down with the trackpad will start highlighting messages, let go of shift and you can start selecting messages that are not together by highlighting then pressing down on the trackpad. You can toggle already selected messages on and off by clicking on them. To cancel the selection, press the back button. Press the BB key to open the options for what you just highlighted.

6. Long pressing with the trackpad does exactly what long touching on the touchscreen does. Trust me, this is super useful.

7. To select text, just use the trackpad to where you want to start, then hold shift and swipe over the trackpad. Then to copy the text, just press the BB key to open the menu, "Copy" should be highlighted so you can just press the BB key again (basically press BB key twice). Then to paste the text, go to where you want to paste, and same thing, press BB key twice.

8. In the camera, if you press and hold the trackpad, the camera will refocus, then when you let go of the trackpad it will take the photo.

9. In an email, just press the BB button twice to send, unless you have text you have copied that haven't been pasted yet. If that's the case and you still want to send, make use of tip #2 and swipe in the direction of the "more" option on your trackpad, then hit the trackpad or BB key.

Enjoy :-)

I signed up just to say thanks for tip #3. Had my Classic over a year now and didn't even know that. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 03:08 AM
    On any screen, pressing and holding the End key is the same as pressing and holding the Power button.
    04-18-16 07:48 AM
    I signed up just to say thanks for tip #3. Had my Classic over a year now and didn't even know that. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    NICE!
    This is what we like to see

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 08:13 AM
    Wow slagman5, I really like #7 and #9. Now I can finally get more use out of that BB button! Thanks man!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-16 08:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    No problem, it's one of my favorite features.

04-18-16 11:27 AM
    Wow slagman5, I really like #7 and #9. Now I can finally get more use out of that BB button! Thanks man!

Posted via CB10
    Yep, more proof BB didn't do enough to show off the phone's features, lol. It's no wonder people think BB's are not capable of doing anything...

04-18-16 11:28 AM
    Yep, more proof BB didn't do enough to show off the phone's features, lol. It's no wonder people think BB's are not capable of doing anything...

Yep, and all the Q10 users who don't see the point of tool belt *shake my head*

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 and idssteve like this.
    04-19-16 06:06 AM
    Yep, and all the Q10 users who don't see the point of tool belt *shake my head*

Posted via CB10
    +1

04-19-16 06:14 AM
    Alt + U to mark HUB messages read/unread.

Also, all of the customizable long-press shortcuts from the home screen are great. Those, along with one-handed use and toolbelt for text editing just kill any other phone's appeal for me.

From a Classic
    04-21-16 12:15 PM
    Alt + U to mark HUB messages read/unread.

Also, all of the customizable long-press shortcuts from the home screen are great. Those, along with one-handed use and toolbelt for text editing just kill any other phone's appeal for me.

From a Classic
    Holy cow! Thanks for the Alt + U!!!!

Where can I find all these shortcuts?? Usually, I can see the shortcut if I click the BlackBerry button (it'll show which keys to press), but the 'Alt+U' wasn't there.

Seriously, there must be a manual or something with all these shortcuts.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 03:10 PM
    Turns out mass Alt + U doesn't work. Only works on 1 notification/email at a time.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-16 10:27 PM
    Great tips here, thank you! One question - is there any shortcut or toolbelt tip that will open up the *left* menu in the Hub? The menu you get when you swipe left to right or click the icon with the three lines in the lower left corner and then you get the Hub root menu thing that lists Hub, Priority Hub, Text Messages, BBM, etc. ?
    04-22-16 10:58 PM

I have a Classic for over 2 years and soooo didn't know about this - amazing! Thanks! I get a weird feeling BlackBerry probably wanted us to 'find' these little tips rather than explain them for us lol

BBM @ 2C1C340C / Blue BlackBerry Classic!
    04-23-16 10:45 AM
    I have a Classic for over 2 years and soooo didn't know about this - amazing! Thanks! I get a weird feeling BlackBerry probably wanted us to 'find' these little tips rather than explain them for us lol

BBM @ 2C1C340C / Blue BlackBerry Classic!
    Yah, it's amazing how little they made their capabilities known... At least from everyone I've met, I can say for sure that the mass majority of people who dismiss BlackBerry phones have no clue what BB10 could do...

04-23-16 12:21 PM