I don't own the classic just yet but I've owned the Q10 and Z30 and watched every classic review. Most reviews I have seen are "fair" but the following things just urk the hell out of me.

1) Telling the BlackBerry Story: Every reviewer starts their review mentioning how blackberry was king of the hill and lost their popularity over the years. They have told these stories during the z10, q10, z30 and passport reviews. When will this end? Why do they still feel necessary to "bring everyone up to speed?" Blackberry never went anywhere. They don't discuss the past history of every LG or motorola phone they review. So annoying.

2) This is a phone by BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans: Sorry, not buying it. There are plenty of people out there who use iphones and androids and all they do is text,email, browse the web and maybe Facebook. I was with someone the other day and he has an iPhone 4 for work and it's ringing off the hook! And he's struggling to email away on the small screen. I'm like, why don't you just get a blackberry? He was like, I loved my BlackBerry but I was sticking to the iPhone because I can talk to it. Many people don't even realize that blackberries do that now too. I get why reviewers say it's for BlackBerry fans, but that's just not the whole story. One of the reason blackberry has difficulty tapping into a lot of these folks is because reviewers who keep looking at blackberry fans like aliens and not regular phone users.

3) BlackBerry is stuck in the past: It's nice to sum it up like that, but how so? Did the reviewer forget that blackberry has full screen touch phones also? Did they miss that the reason the classic exists is to push keyboards back into the market with a modern take? I wonder if a lot of these reviewers have cars with stick shifts. I bet they would argue that the stick gives them a more control and a comfortable connection with their vehicle. More control. I wonder if they see themselves "stuck in the past."

4) The app situation: I get that BlackBerry is not the best choice for those who like apps, but at least clarify that the app situation is because app developers don't develop for BlackBerry. They make it seem like the BlackBerry brass are sitting around wondering what instagram is. Windows phone has the same problem. I don't mind them pointing out that it's an issue, just get the explanation right.

5) Not mentioning or reviewing blend. Blend is huge because it will put your blackberry into any other device out there. You can get all the apps you need on a tablet and use blend to connect your phone. It's sad that most of the reviewers don't even mention it. I sit in front of a pc all day at work. Who cares is the classic has a 3.5 inch screen when I can reply to texts on my laptop.

6) BlackBerry doesn't innovate : Well tell me who does innovate? Every other phone out there is a slab of glass. What has been a huge innovation in the last 3 years? Waving your hand over glass to reveal your messages or putting your phone on a tiny watch screen? Both neat tricks but nothing practical. The passport keyboard is a first. Blend is the first cross platform integration app. Those are both as innovative as a watch phone or a hand wave trick. Plus they are a lot more practical. Hell I'd argue putting a keyboard and a trackpad on a modern phone is more innovative than half the tricks android companies throw out there.

Believe me I know BlackBerry and the classic aren't for everyone. Believe me I wish BlackBerry would bring their specs up to speed. I just wish the press would stop treating blackberry like some joke and be fair. They are right it's not 2012 anymore. BlackBerry has a great product now and it's fair to review it like one.

FYI: I think phone dog, technobuffalo and pocket now continue to give fair blackberry reviews. I respect them the most.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-15 11:58 AM
    You have summed it up very well thanks

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    02-01-15 12:04 PM
    First off, I've been with BlackBerry when it was king of the hill... haha just kidding.

Well said. I hope in the next few years BlackBerry can get out of that misconception that it isn't innovative or up to par. A capacitive keyboard is pretty innovative.

I blame those misconceptions on both BlackBerry and the media. BlackBerry did not realize the impact a slab of glass would have on the consumer. They waited too long to innovate. Imagine if BlackBerry had come out with the Z30 and Passport and Classic a year or two following the first iPhone release. Things would be much different now. The media likes to talk about new and ground breaking things, and Apple and Google had that. BlackBerry was seen "as your father's phone" and not the innovative full touch glass slab of the future. So the media didn't care about BlackBerry anymore.

I also think that one day people will be writing reviews about the latest iPhone in much the same way they write about Blackberrys now. Every product, every company has its time. And then they fall out of favor with the consumer. I don't say this because I hate iPhones (I've never really used one) it's just what happens to every product.

And all of this was typed on an awesome Classic keyboard, not a tiny glass iPhone screen! Haha

Posted via CB10
    Tristan49 likes this.
    02-01-15 01:21 PM
    Believe me I don't forgive bb for their faults. They worked hard to drop the ball back In 2011. But "tech fans" shouldn't be focused on some sort of tech justice. Tech fans should be excited about all tech. It's ok to say a phone is not for you but understand it could be good for others. You can see how someone might be a huge emailer who also loves twitter and what's app and still think a bb could be good for them. Its this smug "if you still need to use a BlackBerry " attitude I hate.
    jas1978, t.c.3 and Bob Ahlberg like this.
    02-01-15 01:35 PM
    1. Agree
    2. Chen says it's for enterprise.
    3. Chen kind of perpetuates that.
    4. Is what it is for people who don't come to CB.
    5. Agree.
    6. Agree.
    02-01-15 01:55 PM
    Isn't it "irk"? It irks me that someone would spell it "urk".
    kbz1960 and jas1978 like this.
    02-01-15 02:38 PM
    Isn't it "irk"? It irks me that someone would spell it "urk".
    Haha fair. I googled urk and it came up so I went with it. Sorry never had to type it before

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and BerryRipe like this.
    02-01-15 02:43 PM
    Haha fair. I googled urk and it came up so I went with it. Sorry never had to type it before

Posted via CB10
    Actually I stand corrected. Urban Dictionary has an entry for urk, but it's very conversational. Someone said they think it should be attributed to Steve Urkel. LOL
    02-01-15 02:49 PM
    OP u hit it right on the nail. I don't even bother addressing people who make fun of me for having a BlackBerry. I just let my phone and actions speak for itself.

Posted via Classic
    BerryRipe, Chris Chin and jas1978 like this.
    02-01-15 03:14 PM
    I understand what you mean and I agree with the "Tech fans should be excited about all tech." That's why I like BlackBerry--the OS and phones are awesome and feel just right for me. Apple and Google phones have no appeal to me. But the vast majority of smart phone users aren't tech fans. That's where Apple and Google beat out BlackBerry. The average consumer just wanted an awesome looking (futuristic) phone and to feel awesome using it. Apple's marketing gave that to people. BlackBerry instead focused on the business user, and not all business users are tech fans. So sooner or later that business user is going to be convinced by Apple's marketing.

It is a shame when people get on the "hate BlackBerry" bandwagon, or any hate bandwagon for that matter. I fault no one for liking any phone. If it works for you, then great, use it. But it is sad when people belittle another phone because their own phone's marketing has convinced them to feel that way. If Apple had come up with all the things BlackBerry has done everyone would have said Apple is the best:

Apple is so innovative with Blend--you can see and reply from any device. Oh look, Apple took out all the buttons and made the OS gesture based--that's so futuristic! No one can beat the strong encryption that Apple provides these billion dollar companies! The swipe feature on the virtual keyboard is the best. So easy to use! All your messages (text, email, facebook, twitter) in one place! The HUB is awesome and practical.

Yup, all the phone reviews would glorify these achievements if Apple or Google had created them.
    BerryRipe, andy957 and Hulk123 like this.
    02-01-15 03:33 PM
    I understand what you mean and I agree with the "Tech fans should be excited about all tech." That's why I like BlackBerry--the OS and phones are awesome and feel just right for me. Apple and Google phones have no appeal to me. But the vast majority of smart phone users aren't tech fans. That's where Apple and Google beat out BlackBerry. The average consumer just wanted an awesome looking (futuristic) phone and to feel awesome using it. Apple's marketing gave that to people. BlackBerry instead focused on the business user, and not all business users are tech fans. So sooner or later that business user is going to be convinced by Apple's marketing.

It is a shame when people get on the "hate BlackBerry" bandwagon, or any hate bandwagon for that matter. I fault no one for liking any phone. If it works for you, then great, use it. But it is sad when people belittle another phone because their own phone's marketing has convinced them to feel that way. If Apple had come up with all the things BlackBerry has done everyone would have said Apple is the best:

Apple is so innovative with Blend--you can see and reply from any device. Oh look, Apple took out all the buttons and made the OS gesture based--that's so futuristic! No one can beat the strong encryption that Apple provides these billion dollar companies! The swipe feature on the virtual keyboard is the best. So easy to use! All your messages (text, email, facebook, twitter) in one place! The HUB is awesome and practical.

Yup, all the phone reviews would glorify these achievements if Apple or Google had created them.
    Yup. To build on this just look at the reviews. The physical keyboard is amazing to type on....the hub is innovative....the OS and gestures are smooth...the battery and build and fantastic....and then they sum it all up by saying "this is only a phone for BlackBerry fans"....whaaaaaat? You just said you loved typing on that keyboard again, and youre NOT a blackberry fan. How could you not recommend this to an iPhone or Android user who misses their keyboard? Why not tell people that BlackBerry is back with a solid device and users who miss their BlackBerry should consider this if they were waiting to go back?

When is the Apple is a leader thing going to die? Apple makes a great product but they have been "in style" for way too long. I think google and Microsoft are also beating apples pants in innovation. Really don't get so many people in the tech press. Apple no longer represents the "future" if everyone has already caught up.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978, Bfalcon1 and kbz1960 like this.
    02-01-15 03:56 PM
    Yup. To build on this just look at the reviews. The physical keyboard is amazing to type on....the hub is innovative....the OS and gestures are smooth...the battery and build and fantastic....and then they sum it all up by saying "this is only a phone for BlackBerry fans"....whaaaaaat? You just said you loved typing on that keyboard again, and youre NOT a blackberry fan. How could you not recommend this to an iPhone or Android user who misses their keyboard? Why not tell people that BlackBerry is back with a solid device and users who miss their BlackBerry should consider this if they were waiting to go back?

When is the Apple is a leader thing going to die? Apple makes a great product but they have been "in style" for way too long. I think google and Microsoft are also beating apples pants in innovation. Really don't get so many people in the tech press. Apple no longer represents the "future" if everyone has already caught up.

Posted via CB10
    Android way out sells apple. Apple has the apps but then so does android.
    02-01-15 04:06 PM
    Android way out sells apple. Apple has the apps but then so does android.
    Yeah its weird though. You could spin those numbers a million ways. Either way I think the iphone is a great device and has a purpose in life but it's no longer innovative. Apple you can unlock your phone with your thumb, android you can unlock it with your f****ing face!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-15 04:29 PM
    Well said and those three reviewers are the main ones I watch because of their fair and unbiased reviews also.

I've come back to blackberry after having every iPhone and most flagship Androids in the last 4 years. Loving my BlackBerry Passport, but if I had listened to all the so called BIG tech sites. The passport wouldnt have been for me. Well, they were wrong!

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and Bfalcon1 like this.
    02-01-15 04:31 PM
    I love the Classic period. I hope they are reading these threads and see all that's missing is jjuuuussttttt a more up to date processor give it MORE juice to get stuff done so it won't "appear" things are moving slow. I don't think the keyboard can get any better on the Classic. And I don't care about the camera or apps. I don't look for Blackberry to be my primary device for all things digital. I like it for email text and phone calls. I'll play in my spare time on my Note 4 ^_^

Sent from my: SM-N910T / SQC100-4 with Tapatalk : PIN 2BFBBCE3: T-Mobile 4G LTE
    Chris Chin likes this.
    02-01-15 05:54 PM
    Yeah its weird though. You could spin those numbers a million ways. Either way I think the iphone is a great device and has a purpose in life but it's no longer innovative. Apple you can unlock your phone with your thumb, android you can unlock it with your f****ing face!

Posted via CB10
    “There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”

― Benjamin Disraeli
    02-02-15 01:27 PM
    �There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.�

― Benjamin Disraeli
    Haha I love this! I'm going to use this at my job. You have no idea how often people bend stats to make the case for their agenda. Our mobile team loves to show mobile stats to take credit and brag about how well we are doing in mobile over desktop, but always fail to mention that it might be because apple and Samsung are doing a good job getting more mobile devices in people's hand.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-15 03:42 PM
    I don't own the classic just yet but I've owned the Q10 and Z30 and watched every classic review. Most reviews I have seen are "fair" but the following things just urk the hell out of me.

4) The app situation: I get that BlackBerry is not the best choice for those who like apps, but at least clarify that the app situation is because app developers don't develop for BlackBerry. They make it seem like the BlackBerry brass are sitting around wondering what instagram is. Windows phone has the same problem. I don't mind them pointing out that it's an issue, just get the explanation right.
    Posted via CB10
    Phil Libin thinks that the notion of "Apps" will go away within 3-5 years. I'm tending to agree. The lifecycle costs of native phone apps, along with associated dual development costs for both major markets, is creating havoc for businesses.

Watch for html5 and other new web standards that will gut the app market. Apps were obsolete in 2009, but adoption of competing technology is slowed when there are only two primary players. They have little reason to change the status quo except to benefit themselves.
    02-02-15 07:14 PM
    Phil Libin thinks that the notion of "Apps" will go away within 3-5 years. I'm tending to agree. The lifecycle costs of native phone apps, along with associated dual development costs for both major markets, is creating havoc for businesses.

Watch for html5 and other new web standards that will gut the app market. Apps were obsolete in 2009, but adoption of competing technology is slowed when there are only two primary players. They have little reason to change the status quo except to benefit themselves.
    It's so true. I work in app development for a major retailer and it's expensive, time consuming, and we just don't see the results of mobile web. Only reason we have it is because our competitors do. There are a few things( like full access to the camera) that HTML5 will need to work out, but I agree. In a few years apps won't matter much.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 07:20 AM
    It's so true. I work in app development for a major retailer and it's expensive, time consuming, and we just don't see the results of mobile web. Only reason we have it is because our competitors do. There are a few things( like full access to the camera) that HTML5 will need to work out, but I agree. In a few years apps won't matter much.

Posted via CB10
    Agree 100% and retailers have slim margins and spending millions on app development and then content management for those apps is expensive with little ROI. What most retailers are finding is they're building apps only to have people look at the item on their site and then go to Amazon to buy it. Worse, companies that rely on advertising dollars to keep their sites going are finding that mobile does not monetize, so as the entire world switches from PC's to tablets and phones, we'll see our favorite content sites disappear because they can't make margins. Add to this the pressure to spend working capital on apps that won't perform, and you have a dreadful state of affairs.

It's all okay though, clearly those 2-3 major players have proven over and over again we should blindly and completely trust them, they've earned our undivided respect, and we should be willing to give all of ourselves to them for the sense of security they provide and the notion that we'll get something free and useful from them in the future.
    02-04-15 11:28 AM
    Engadget review just released. Exactly everything I hate and mentioned above. Overall a fair review but they sum it up in the end saying blackberry is stuck in the past and you should move on. This is after they pretty much complimented the entire device.

At least they reviewed blend

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/10/b...=rss_truncated

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 08:10 PM
    First of all my classic is in the mail on its way here. Secondly, I'm an iPhone user. I have an iphone 4, been holding out for iphone 6, however apple decided to go big, bigger, monstrosity... Not for me. No new tech for us over in Sweden the last three or four years (oh yay unlock with fingerprint...) Siri still doesn't work and apple pay, doubt it will ever work here either. I never had a blackberry but looking so much forward to it! I use my phone for texting, emails and calling. And a little browsing...
    Condensates version: Apple lost me because of their ego.
    BerryRipe likes this.
    02-10-15 11:22 PM
    First of all my classic is in the mail on its way here. Secondly, I'm an iPhone user. I have an iphone 4, been holding out for iphone 6, however apple decided to go big, bigger, monstrosity... Not for me. No new tech for us over in Sweden the last three or four years (oh yay unlock with fingerprint...) Siri still doesn't work and apple pay, doubt it will ever work here either. I never had a blackberry but looking so much forward to it! I use my phone for texting, emails and calling. And a little browsing...
    Condensates version: Apple lost me because of their ego.
    Welcome to BlackBerry good sir! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 11:41 PM

1) Telling the BlackBerry Story: Every reviewer starts their review mentioning how blackberry was king of the hill and lost their popularity over the years. They have told these stories during the z10, q10, z30 and passport reviews. When will this end? Why do they still feel necessary to "bring everyone up to speed?" Blackberry never went anywhere. They don't discuss the past history of every LG or motorola phone they review. So annoying.

2) This is a phone by BlackBerry for BlackBerry fans: Sorry, not buying it. There are plenty of people out there who use iphones and androids and all they do is text,email, browse the web and maybe Facebook. I was with someone the other day and he has an iPhone 4 for work and it's ringing off the hook! And he's struggling to email away on the small screen. I'm like, why don't you just get a blackberry? He was like, I loved my BlackBerry but I was sticking to the iPhone because I can talk to it. Many people don't even realize that blackberries do that now too. I get why reviewers say it's for BlackBerry fans, but that's just not the whole story. One of the reason blackberry has difficulty tapping into a lot of these folks is because reviewers who keep looking at blackberry fans like aliens and not regular phone users.

3) BlackBerry is stuck in the past: It's nice to sum it up like that, but how so? Did the reviewer forget that blackberry has full screen touch phones also? Did they miss that the reason the classic exists is to push keyboards back into the market with a modern take? I wonder if a lot of these reviewers have cars with stick shifts. I bet they would argue that the stick gives them a more control and a comfortable connection with their vehicle. More control. I wonder if they see themselves "stuck in the past."

5) Not mentioning or reviewing blend. Blend is huge because it will put your blackberry into any other device out there. You can get all the apps you need on a tablet and use blend to connect your phone. It's sad that most of the reviewers don't even mention it. I sit in front of a pc all day at work. Who cares is the classic has a 3.5 inch screen when I can reply to texts on my laptop.

6) BlackBerry doesn't innovate : Well tell me who does innovate? Every other phone out there is a slab of glass. What has been a huge innovation in the last 3 years? Waving your hand over glass to reveal your messages or putting your phone on a tiny watch screen? Both neat tricks but nothing practical. The passport keyboard is a first. Blend is the first cross platform integration app. Those are both as innovative as a watch phone or a hand wave trick. Plus they are a lot more practical. Hell I'd argue putting a keyboard and a trackpad on a modern phone is more innovative than half the tricks android companies throw out there.

Believe me I know BlackBerry and the classic aren't for everyone. Believe me I wish BlackBerry would bring their specs up to speed. I just wish the press would stop treating blackberry like some joke and be fair. They are right it's not 2012 anymore. BlackBerry has a great product now and it's fair to review it like one.

FYI: I think phone dog, technobuffalo and pocket now continue to give fair blackberry reviews. I respect them the most.

Posted via CB10
    I salute you for the awesome points you have mentioned which are truly the facts and should be an eye opener for every other reviewers as well as for people who troll. Kudos!!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 11:50 PM
    Engadget review just released. Exactly everything I hate and mentioned above. Overall a fair review but they sum it up in the end saying blackberry is stuck in the past and you should move on. This is after they pretty much complimented the entire device.

At least they reviewed blend

BlackBerry Classic review: A love letter to fans and few others

Posted via CB10
    Saw that review today, then read your thread. Right on the money sir ; it's the blind leading the blind when it comes to reviews of BB devices. The original reviewer should sue them for plagiarism .
    02-11-15 12:06 AM
27 12