This guy DetroitBORG on YouTube who posts lots of really thorough, good reviews of all devices has posted a review of the Classic. It's a great review, but what I really enjoyed is that I learned some things about the OS itself that I wasn't aware of. Highly recommend.

05-30-15 08:11 PM
    This guy DetroitBORG on YouTube who posts lots of really thorough, good reviews of all devices has posted a review of the Classic. It's a great review, but what I really enjoyed is that I learned some things about the OS itself that I wasn't aware of. Highly recommend.

I don't recommend reading the comments. I didn't get through all of them (no need to waste my time) but the first few tell me that people really need to get a life.

I agree though. Nice, thorough review. I remember this one from back in February.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    05-30-15 08:51 PM
    I don't recommend reading the comments. I didn't get through all of them (no need to waste my time) but the first few tell me that people really need to get a life.

I agree though. Nice, thorough review. I remember this one from back in February.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    I was only mentioning the video, not the comments because most of the comments are either barely understandable or spam/trolls. I actually think this video is almost better as a BB10 tutorial than as a review, although it's quite a good review as well.
    Last edited by andy957; 05-30-15 at 09:10 PM.
    donemt likes this.
    05-30-15 08:54 PM
    BlackBerry Classic 10 (and 10 OS) Review (mostly negatives here, sorry, but I'm pissed)

About me: I am an IT Pro, I embrace technology - Loved the 8300 Curve series (except as a phone - it dropped a lot of calls.) Had 2 of the same Curve model for 10 years. I understand a new BB means a learning Curve (pun) but this BB 10 OS is unprecedented.

If one sentence sums it - Transition from other technologies to a BlackBerry (or older to new BB) is a difficult thing, but it's never been more difficult than with this device. There are some positives. I'll list them at the end if I'm not too tired.

Bullet points (attempt at brevity)

• Desktop software installer is ATROCIOUS. It does not work with Win 7! Unforgiveable. How can they RELEASE this?!?? The old BB Desktop Mgr was a sweet little app that you could grab from the cloud and be using within 5-10 mins on any PC you want. Blend for BB 10 OS is only installed on one PC, and that's cause I needed to call BB tech support to help me!!!! Ha ha ha. I'm IN support for a living. That's how bad it is.
    • Optical track pad works most the time, but cuts out when it feels like it. Sometime the only way to make a call is to touch the screen. Cursor goes MIA
    • Calendar is always looking to be online/synced when loaded, so expect noticeable delays, even with wifi, when you want to perform a simple operation like checking or making a new entry.
    • "Award Winning" Keypad? Really? I was not on the committee. The bump on each key should be in the middle, not right/left like they crafted it. It's weird and not really intuitive.
    • The filing system (make an audio recording and try to store it) is so complex the first time I tried it - I literally did not know what was going on.
    • Repositioning icons around the screen is very difficult. It keeps asking if I want to make a new folder (to nest the icon inside) cause I didn't drop it exactly when the line appears. Didn't they spend some time testing this?????
    • Navigator - try using the GPS function from a stored address. Easy task, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Instead of using the address used to launch the app (yes, from a GPS teardrop in Contacts) it goes out and looks for suggestions, NONE OF WHICH are the stored address!! Absolutely HORRIBLE. GPS function is NOT user friendly under duress - like if you are lost! Bad.
    • The way "Contacts" works - very confusing. Too many optional links to too many different addrs books. I don't need device local and a Blend version of my contacts for the synced PC. I can decide when and where to overwrite when I sync. Right? Add to that Gmail and SIM addrs. books, and what if I install Blend on three more PC's? Will it give me 3 more addrs books to manage? Goodness gracious. I recently had to create a dupe of a contact that came up under some kind of search/find (??) but when I searched Contacts directly, I could not find him. (Yes I was searching ALL Contacts) Tried a few times too before I gave in and just re-created him. Sucks.
    • The menus for finding all the system customizeable options and stuff?? OMG, you had better have some time on your hands! They're all over the place. (Example - "change lock screen image" is under security. "Change home screen image" is somewhere else.)
    • The swipe from top to bottom to reveal the "secret" settings controls (which for some funtions is the only way to get to Settings) is really hard to do, even when practicing during the tutorial! But...
    • They made the sides of the screen SO EASY to trigger with any slight touch of your palm that frequently I will ****-dial, or lose an open app, whatever, just read "mess up" when I don't want to. UGH.
    • Don't know if it's ATT or what, but frequently others will say "Hello hello, are you still there...?" and my outbound audio (mic) will be muted. If I toggle the mute off and on, several times, sometimes it fixes it, as does speaker phone to normal, and back. I know there's a mute key on the left side. I'm not engaging it - the mute icon is not highlighted. This also happened with my old Curve phone.
    • There's no apps out there for BB, not really. I can't deposit my checks with it. I'm not even an "app person" and the few things I like to do, I can't. Can't play LeafSnap either.

Good things:
    • BB HUB is concept is cool
    • Different color LED's for different notifications is cool
    • Battery life is great if you remember to turn off wifi
    • Takes a decent picture
    • LOVE LOVE LOVE how I can zoom email text and it RE-FLOWS to fit!!
    • Like how I can scroll to the top for Settings when I need it.

Lastly, am I sorry I got the BB10 Classic? Yeah, I think so. I think if I had to re-do it, I'd live with the stupid iPhone 5 and its virtual keyboard (OMG, which I DO HATE, lemme tell you) because everything else about the iPhone, at least in terms of user-friendly, is superior. I went for the Classic because I loved the hard keys on my Curve 8310, and the keyboard on the Classic 10 is still a wonderful vacation from my work iPhone whenever I have to send any note that needs to look professional. And I am learning it. But the sensitivity to the slightest brush and the screen flips, and the ridiculous battle with the GPS, and the cursor going away - no matter how much I learn, I'm stuck with those.
    Last edited by MikoDel; 06-07-15 at 10:17 AM.
    06-07-15 10:05 AM
    BlackBerry Classic 10 (and 10 OS) Review (mostly negatives here, sorry, but I'm pissed)

About me: I am an IT Pro, I embrace technology - Loved the 8300 Curve series (except as a phone - it dropped a lot of calls.) Had 2 of the same Curve model for 10 years. I understand a new BB means a learning Curve (pun) but this BB 10 OS is unprecedented.

If one sentence sums it - Transition from other technologies to a BlackBerry (or older to new BB) is a difficult thing, but it's never been more difficult than with this device. There are some positives. I'll list them at the end if I'm not too tired.

Bullet points (attempt at brevity)

• Desktop software installer is ATROCIOUS. It does not work with Win 7! Unforgiveable. How can they RELEASE this?!?? The old BB Desktop Mgr was a sweet little app that you could grab from the cloud and be using within 5-10 mins on any PC you want. Blend for BB 10 OS is only installed on one PC, and that's cause I needed to call BB tech support to help me!!!! Ha ha ha. I'm IN support for a living. That's how bad it is.
    • Optical track pad works most the time, but cuts out when it feels like it. Sometime the only way to make a call is to touch the screen. Cursor goes MIA
    • Calendar is always looking to be online/synced when loaded, so expect noticeable delays, even with wifi, when you want to perform a simple operation like checking or making a new entry.
    • "Award Winning" Keypad? Really? I was not on the committee. The bump on each key should be in the middle, not right/left like they crafted it. It's weird and not really intuitive.
    • The filing system (make an audio recording and try to store it) is so complex the first time I tried it - I literally did not know what was going on.
    • Repositioning icons around the screen is very difficult. It keeps asking if I want to make a new folder (to nest the icon inside) cause I didn't drop it exactly when the line appears. Didn't they spend some time testing this?????
    • Navigator - try using the GPS function from a stored address. Easy task, right? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Instead of using the address used to launch the app (yes, from a GPS teardrop in Contacts) it goes out and looks for suggestions, NONE OF WHICH are the stored address!! Absolutely HORRIBLE. GPS function is NOT user friendly under duress - like if you are lost! Bad.
    • The way "Contacts" works - very confusing. Too many optional links to too many different addrs books. I don't need device local and a Blend version of my contacts for the synced PC. I can decide when and where to overwrite when I sync. Right? Add to that Gmail and SIM addrs. books, and what if I install Blend on three more PC's? Will it give me 3 more addrs books to manage? Goodness gracious. I recently had to create a dupe of a contact that came up under some kind of search/find (??) but when I searched Contacts directly, I could not find him. (Yes I was searching ALL Contacts) Tried a few times too before I gave in and just re-created him. Sucks.
    • The menus for finding all the system customizeable options and stuff?? OMG, you had better have some time on your hands! They're all over the place. (Example - "change lock screen image" is under security. "Change home screen image" is somewhere else.)
    • The swipe from top to bottom to reveal the "secret" settings controls (which for some funtions is the only way to get to Settings) is really hard to do, even when practicing during the tutorial! But...
    • They made the sides of the screen SO EASY to trigger with any slight touch of your palm that frequently I will ****-dial, or lose an open app, whatever, just read "mess up" when I don't want to. UGH.
    • Don't know if it's ATT or what, but frequently others will say "Hello hello, are you still there...?" and my outbound audio (mic) will be muted. If I toggle the mute off and on, several times, sometimes it fixes it, as does speaker phone to normal, and back. I know there's a mute key on the left side. I'm not engaging it - the mute icon is not highlighted. This also happened with my old Curve phone.
    • There's no apps out there for BB, not really. I can't deposit my checks with it. I'm not even an "app person" and the few things I like to do, I can't. Can't play LeafSnap either.

Good things:
    • BB HUB is concept is cool
    • Different color LED's for different notifications is cool
    • Battery life is great if you remember to turn off wifi
    • Takes a decent picture
    • LOVE LOVE LOVE how I can zoom email text and it RE-FLOWS to fit!!
    • Like how I can scroll to the top for Settings when I need it.

Lastly, am I sorry I got the BB10 Classic? Yeah, I think so. I think if I had to re-do it, I'd live with the stupid iPhone 5 and its virtual keyboard (OMG, which I DO HATE, lemme tell you) because everything else about the iPhone, at least in terms of user-friendly, is superior. I went for the Classic because I loved the hard keys on my Curve 8310, and the keyboard on the Classic 10 is still a wonderful vacation from my work iPhone whenever I have to send any note that needs to look professional. And I am learning it. But the sensitivity to the slightest brush and the screen flips, and the ridiculous battle with the GPS, and the cursor going away - no matter how much I learn, I'm stuck with those.
    Oddly this all works to me, classic is not for you buddy, as i can do exactly the same stuff that I could on my iPhone, only faster and easier.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 01:45 PM
    I can relate to some of the initial reaction however that fades fast. No issues now. Love the keyboard and option of the trackpad even if I don't rely on it heavily. And I love the GPS. I've had all os types and I've grown fond of the blackberry GPS for ease of use. Google does a little overboard with options which is confusing when in a rush and never liked iphone for maps, etc. Windows comes the closest ironically.

Hope you eventually find something that meets all of your needs.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-15 02:02 PM
    Thx for the replies. No, I'm under contract now and I'm sticking with it. Another thing that I really could be better is the size of the cursor. I have my view settings on a larger font so I can read it more easily, but that hairline tiny blue cursor is not for us 50-somethings. If I can read the text without readers, I should be able to see the cursor too!
    06-08-15 11:17 AM
    You sound like you need a phablet with eyesight like that. Can't really blame the phone for this I guess. You need a much larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 02:49 PM
    Here's a few other things I left out of my first line items that may help you if you are new to this device...

*On the old Curve model, when I was done with a voice note, if I hit the return key, or stop, pretty much either, it would ASK me if I want to save the note. With the new OS, if you don't hit STOP on the recording screen before you try to save the note, it GOES AWAY. Here I am singing a song idea for minutes, like an *****, TWICE, and both times when I go to save it, IT'S GONE. You MUST hit the STOP key before you try to save a voice note. WHY IN THE WORLD would they change something like that?

*You cannot get the text notifier to chime more than once when you get a text message. WTF? What if I don't hear it? Good thing there's a light, which mine is now yellow for texts. Don't go crazy looking for it, AFAIK you can't do it

*In System Settings>Software Updates>Software Update Options I have "Auto download and install" turned off. But the other day it still flashed on the screen "You now have the latest xxxxxxx version of Blackberry Software" or something to that effect. ???? How did that happen?

*The cursor appearance is not optimal, and there's no way to change it. Someone commented "With eyesight like that, you can't blame the phone." I beg to differ. Yes, my near vision is blurry, cause I'm older. But I can see all the other characters in the paragraph because THEY'RE BLACK. They're DARK against the WHITE BACKGROUND. There is CONTRAST. Why wouldn't they make the cursor contrast optimally against the background too? The cursor is a silly light blue color. That's not SMART. You can tell that YOUNG PEOPLE design this stuff. They all have great eyesight. It's a mistake not to consider that many people cannot see perfectly. One of the reasons I like a hard keyboard is cause I DO NOT NEED to clearly see all the characters in order to type a note. I know the keyboard goes qwertyuiop
    asdfghjkl
    zxcvbnm
    and when you have clicky keys, you do not need to be watching them every second in order to know when you have typed a character.

But the position of the cursor - that's a visual. It does turn a thicker, darker blue for a second to help with positioning when you move it. IF WAS THE THICKER BLUE permanently, I'd be able to locate it without needing clearer eyesight.

Last thing I would like to say is, somebody commented "All this stuff works for me." Nonsense. There is NO WAY that you are loading the BB Blend software onto a Win 7 platform with no hassle. If there was, then there wouldn't be several long How-To posts on the internet with pics of device manager and deleting USB hubs and blah-blah-blah and step after step after step. I'm sorry but I expected a HOST of readers chiming in harmony w/me about how unfair the "arrested development" of their PC software is, for the end user. If I, with a technical background, had to call RIM to install a stupid software to get my photos and videos off the device, and get my old address book on, how is somebody with just a cursory knowledge of the phone gonna do it? C'mon, it's WINDOWS. Every dumb__s in the world uses Windows, it needs to work!!!!! I would like to see how it works with a new Mac OS but I don't have one new enough to comment fairly.
    06-25-15 02:55 PM
    Last thing I would like to say is, somebody commented "All this stuff works for me." Nonsense. There is NO WAY that you are loading the BB Blend software onto a Win 7 platform with no hassle. If there was, then there wouldn't be several long How-To posts on the internet with pics of device manager and deleting USB hubs and blah-blah-blah and step after step after step. I'm sorry but I expected a HOST of readers chiming in harmony w/me about how unfair the "arrested development" of their PC software is, for the end user. If I, with a technical background, had to call RIM to install a stupid software to get my photos and videos off the device, and get my old address book on, how is somebody with just a cursory knowledge of the phone gonna do it? C'mon, it's WINDOWS. Every dumb__s in the world uses Windows, it needs to work!!!!! I would like to see how it works with a new Mac OS but I don't have one new enough to comment fairly.
    Um, egocentric aren't we? I have Link, Blend, everything installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system, no problems with installation, back up and restore data just fine, never have an issue connecting my phone through wifi or usb cable. Just because you have issues don't think it's "impossible" for others to not have issues.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    06-25-15 06:46 PM
    Um, egocentric aren't we? I have Link, Blend, everything installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system, no problems with installation, back up and restore data just fine, never have an issue connecting my phone through wifi or usb cable. Just because you have issues don't think it's "impossible" for others to not have issues.

Lol. He's an IT pro though so your argument is invalid.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-25-15 06:50 PM
    +1

Posted via CB10
    06-25-15 07:23 PM
    Lol. He's an IT pro though so your argument is invalid.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Oh, so he knows how to tell people to turn it off and back on?

Xenolock likes this.
    06-25-15 07:45 PM
    Installing blend works perfectly for most, but I'll chime in with regards with people who can't hear you over calls:

Your headphone jack may be physically faulty. I suggest you contact warranty and replace the phone if you keep seeing a problem with this. This has happened to me, the phone thinks you plugged in a headset out of the blue but you never do, and it stops getting input from the microphones.

I disagree with everything else about what you've said though. Clearly you just need to adjust to a new OS and phone. Just like many legacy BlackBerry users had to, you're an ex iPhone user and an older gentleman, it's normal that you won't adapt immediately, things are done somewhat differently and most here would say for the better.
    06-25-15 09:29 PM

Same for me, not a single problem on Win 7 - 64bit.

CB10 - Passport
    Fatoomah likes this.
    06-25-15 10:17 PM
    Oh, so he knows how to tell people to turn it off and back on?
    Ok..... not hating on OP but that's hilarious.

From a Classic
    06-26-15 07:09 AM
    Alright alright, I had that coming. And FYI, I don't just tell people to turn off, then on again. Sometimes when the s__t really hits the fan, I may even tell them to unplug. Or call it a day.

Thanks for the heads up about the headphone jack. I don't think I've plugged headphones into this more than once so far, so it's certainly not from over-use. Also, using the hard middle key on the side (toggle mute on/off) fixes it during a call. So even though MUTE is not indicated as "on" visibly on the screen, it seems to engage invisibly, and needs to be toggled to be turned off so the conversation can continue. But that doesn't mean you are wrong - it may have something to do with the headphone jack, still.

I guess my attitude is masking the fact that down deep I WANT all this stuff to work. Especially the Blend. This is an essential piece - Get your photos and vids off the phone, backup, make room for more.

I am truthfully very glad that this is working well for so many of you. But don't discount the fact that I've logged a decade of Blackberry loyalty. I have installed BB Desktop Mgr on probably 25 PC's during that time and I never had one hitch. With this new OS and accompany suite, it has not gone right, even one time. I have tried downloading from the device, I have tried grabbing it from BB support dot com, I have followed the prompts, etc.

Somewhere there's a tutorial online that someone did that shows Control Panel> Dev Mgr, and deleting the existing install, etc etc. When RIM webbed in and helped me, that's what they did. But I can't figure why it went wrong initially. RIM also had me turn off anti-virus, and these days the AV products never stop a legitimate product from loading. They may send up a flare, but you just click thru it. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway, I don't think it's fair to me that when I pay a full contract fee over however many months (30? I forget) paying full device value I should have to waste one iota of my time cleaning up after their development mess. I am on Win 7 x64 enterprise and Win 7 x64 home systems, and none of them (I think I tried 3 PC's so far) have worked. I'm sorry I'm so cranky but the reason I went with (STAYED with) Blackberry is because their stuff worked (in the past) so beautifully. Recently when I was forced to upgrade my work iPhone to a new OS, ALL OF THE VOICE NOTES were gone. I tracked down a freeware that allowed me to access the backups I had done. I was so happy (for a second) that I would be able recover the VN's. Ha ha, fool that I am, iPhone 4S does NOT back up voice notes when you do full backups. HUH?!??!?!???? WTF???? So unless you are signed into the cloud and sync all your stuff that way, you are SOL my friends. That made me sad, cause I had some valuable ideas on those VN's.

With the old BB 8310, I could push/pull photos, backup my voice notes - without even INSTALLING ANYTHING. It just appeared as a drive on the machine. I guess security wise, that's a liability, but I appreciated the simplicity of being able to see it like a flash drive. Also, the iPhone 4S would not even mount on my old Mac G3 10.4.11. For God's sakes it's an APPLE product, and i can't even see it on my Mac? Ha ha. Another reason why I decided BB was still for me. Eventually I will solve this problem and figure out WHY Blend an Link doesn't just do what it's supposed to do.

So you people are installing this software without any issues? That gives me hope. Maybe it's because I don't do Windows updates on a regular basis. Win update causes a lot of problems with some of the more specialized apps I run, interfering with background services and messing with memory usage and such and I have learned to update with caution, and infrequently. Maybe there's a lack of compatibility with RIM apps because of that. I know that SHOUTING on this forum makes me vulnerable to attack, so I expect the digs and the rest of it. I just want BB BLAND and KINK to install!!! It's not too much to ask. (yes those are those are intentional typos)

The Classic 10 device is cool and any of the other b__ching I'm doing, I can deal with it all. It's the RIM apps not loading that really pisses me off.
    06-26-15 09:49 AM
    Lol, well, that could be why you're having issues, not just the updates but because of the specialized software you have running. Perhaps something is not "getting along." I keep my Windows very lean, I constantly uninstall programs I don't use, remove background processes from starting with windows, and things like that. So only the bare minimum is usually running at any given time, so there's very little conflict that could happen between programs. I know that's hard to do in a enterprise environment...

06-26-15 10:42 AM