Don't shoot the messenger, I had a candid talk with a very knowledgeable Blackberry AT&T rep who stated;

"the delay is due to Blackberry's lack of production, they did this on the Q10 when they announced carriers would get the phone." "... it took months for us to get the q10 after it was announced and I would bet it is the same for Classic and Passport"

I myself have been holding the torch on att assuming they have been delaying the release but maybe some of the blame can be directed at the mfg itself for lack of production. Anyway, something for everyone to chew on while we wait.
    Oiram Asojonih likes this.
    02-04-15 11:35 AM
    If that was the case, then how come it has been announced and made available in several other countries since the AT&T announcement? Logic says that's complete BS.
    irweezyy, THBW, bungaboy and 6 others like this.
    02-04-15 11:37 AM
    If that was the case, then how come it has been announced and made available in several other countries since the AT&T announcement? Logic says that's complete BS.
    ... but... but... these phones need to have the AT&T logo on them! That totally requires retooling the assembly line...
    02-04-15 11:42 AM
    I highly doubt what the rep said is entirely or even partially true. When a manufacturer goes into production with a product they don't do so blindly. AT&T would have been contacted months ago and specific production runs and in some cases custom specifications (the round cornered Passport springs to mind) would have been allocated. AT&T knows when they're going to launch the phone and have done for months, they don't tell the reps this sort of information until they need to know; they need them to pump current inventory not devices due in the future.
    02-04-15 11:45 AM
    ... but... but... these phones need to have the AT&T logo on them! That totally requires retooling the assembly line...
    Totally, whole new process lol!
    02-04-15 11:52 AM
    The rep was actually quite candid about their own problems. With respect to the q10 statement it was right on. So time will tell with the Classic and Passport but I have no doubt to question the reps honesty as I stated she was quite candid about the shortcomings on att's part.

Hypothetically lets assume there is just enough difference for att Classic version vs other carriers probably using the same unlocked version you can buy from Amazon or BB direct. I would say it puts the classic right next to the Passport with the slightly different variant to cause the delays.

Time will tell...
    02-04-15 11:53 AM
    The rep is speculating based on the Q10 AT&T launch. Tier one reps don't have special info. Its be like me speculating on the inner workings of CB.
    irweezyy likes this.
    02-04-15 11:59 AM
    I have no doubt that she genuinely believes what she's saying, but being passionate about something doesn't necessarily make it true. Reps are always the last to know what's going on, they may have a day or two heads up about certain things before consumers do but information is imparted to them on a need to know basis. Once a company starts blaming others through their reps you know something's not quite right about the info.
    jas1978 likes this.
    02-04-15 12:25 PM
    Maybe AT&T wants special squared corners for their version of the Classic. You know how they like to be different. Maybe they are also getting the retro trackball. .
    02-04-15 12:35 PM
    I highly doubt what the rep said is entirely or even partially true. When a manufacturer goes into production with a product they don't do so blindly. AT&T would have been contacted months ago and specific production runs and in some cases custom specifications (the round cornered Passport springs to mind) would have been allocated. AT&T knows when they're going to launch the phone and have done for months, they don't tell the reps this sort of information until they need to know; they need them to pump current inventory not devices due in the future.
    While not doubting the OP's post, I have to agree.

Meanwhile, it's been 50 days since the announcement that the Classic would be available on AT&T and Verizon.
    02-05-15 05:26 AM
    Can we please stop posting what reps say......... can that be a new rule.....
    servandohv likes this.
    02-05-15 10:42 AM
    and by the wAy... you didn't even say a date... why use this title when there's NO FREAKING date mentioned..... wtf
    02-05-15 10:44 AM
    While not doubting the OP's post, I have to agree.

Meanwhile, it's been 50 days since the announcement that the Classic would be available on AT&T and Verizon.

and keep counting b/c I don't think it will be released anytime soon, but I hope I'm wrong.
    02-05-15 10:50 AM
    When a manufacturer goes into production with a product they don't do so blindly. AT&T would have been contacted months ago and specific production runs...
    This assumes that components and production capacity are readily available. In the past we have seen that component availability often holds things up.
    02-05-15 11:05 AM
    This assumes that components and production capacity are readily available. In the past we have seen that component availability often holds things up.
    Agreed, but if that were the case then there'd be a general drying up of availability and launches. How many other carriers have actually launched the Classic since AT&T announced they were going to carry it? Even tiny carriers like WIND in Canada have had no difficulty obtaining units, I would be simply amazed if this were the reason that AT&T can't pull together a launch for a couple of devices whether there are componentry concerns or not.

2 cents.
    02-05-15 11:27 AM
    Agreed, but if that were the case then there'd be a general drying up of availability and launches. How many other carriers have actually launched the Classic since AT&T announced they were going to carry it? Even tiny carriers like WIND in Canada have had no difficulty obtaining units, I would be simply amazed if this were the reason that AT&T can't pull together a launch for a couple of devices whether there are componentry concerns or not.

2 cents.
    The difference is Att & Verizon are huge. I don't think either carrier will want to take in limited supply just to fulfill initial orders to keep others waiting for the next production batch. I think they learned their lesson from iphone releases, granted the demand is not the same for BB but why bother with a PR problem. In addition as I stated earlier since att is getting a carrier specific passport who is to say the classic is not in the same boat so those devices floating out there now are probably different than the att branded device we will eventually get.
    02-05-15 11:47 AM
    So what are the chances that AT&T was willing to delay the Passport for rounded corners - by so long that there isn't even a release date yet - but for the Classic said "Looks great, we'll release it whenever you get them made."
    02-05-15 11:53 AM
    The fact is we are all on the outside looking in. What ever reasons we have all been told or speculated is just that. The devices will eventually be released ... tick tock
    tenacious_dog likes this.
    02-05-15 11:56 AM
    Don't forget the AT&T exclusive PMA wireless charging back cover. That TOTALLY need a production line revamp.

/s
    02-05-15 12:25 PM
    Don't forget the AT&T exclusive PMA wireless charging back cover. That TOTALLY need a production line revamp.

/s
    I hope you are right. That is the only reason I have waited this long on att is for the wireless charging feature. Although nothing in the specs which was released by att states anything about it, so I just hope they with held that info until it nears the actual release. Would be a nice option.
    02-05-15 12:30 PM
    So would it be safe to assume that the Classic is awaiting this, too?
    02-05-15 12:35 PM
    I hope you are right. That is the only reason I have waited this long on att is for the wireless charging feature. Although nothing in the specs which was released by att states anything about it, so I just hope they with held that info until it nears the actual release. Would be a nice option.
    So would it be safe to assume that the Classic is awaiting this, too?
    I think both of you missed the /s at the end...

/s = sarcasm

It's just a back cover really.
    02-05-15 12:39 PM
    Thats all bull****! I worked for BB and i know thats not how it works!!!
    02-05-15 12:51 PM
    I think both of you missed the /s at the end...

/s = sarcasm

It's just a back cover really.
    I don't think it is a cover since you can replace the battery on the q20 more than likely if it is implemented it will be under the oem cover. My old 9700 had a new cover but they used the charging tabs. I would hope if it is implemented they do it all internally and it doesn't add any bulk like qi.
    02-05-15 01:17 PM
    Thats all bull****! I worked for BB and i know thats not how it works!!!
    And then...

Posted via CB10
    pandabear444 likes this.
    02-05-15 02:51 PM
56 123