I'm a long time bold 9900 user but will be upgrading to the classic soon but first I have a few questions.

1. Does universal search still work like if I type in "bold 9900 cases" can I hit a google icon or youtube icon to auto search it for me?

2. Can I program the led different colors for text, e mail, bbm?

3. Are the classic ring tones still available? Can I set the amount of times each one rings?

4. Do you ever get the hour glass icon when you have too many apps running?

5. For those coming from the Bold 9900 are you overall more happy? What are the pros and cons?

If everyone can answer my questions one by one or whichever one they choose that would be great!

Thanks!
    03-18-15 06:29 PM
    2. Yes you can, that's a feature which came with 10.3.1 OS

4. I didn't use BBOS, and don't have a Classic but BB10 is much better at multitasking, it can take more Apps than you ever need open at one time.

There are some ring tones called "BB Pro 1" up to 4, so I imagine they are from BBOS
    03-18-15 06:39 PM
    1. Well sort of but it's not the same. More than likely, BlackBerry Assistant will open and give you the option to search the Internet.

2. Yes, you can program the LED for different colors but that's about it. I still use Bebuzz for patterns and multiple colors.

3. You can download the ringtones and use them but you will not be able to configure the number of rings.

4. No more hourglass. Nope, it's gone. Sorry. The phone keeps chugging away. And no more battery pulls either. Never do that! Besides on the Classic, the battery is non-removable.

5. BB10 is a different animal. It's going to take some getting used to. But don't let it discourage you. Give it time and it'll grow on you. I could never really go back now. Everyone's pros and cons are different.

Since I gave you one of my pro's in #4, I'll give you one of my cons to even it out: Phone doesn't go into bedside mode automatically when you plug it in. And there's no auto on or off feature. Is that one or two? .

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by tdyhedge; 03-18-15 at 06:55 PM.
    03-18-15 06:45 PM
    1. The internet searches are there, but youtube doesn't have a BB10 native app I think, so that's no longer there but there is a 3rd party app called SuperTube that adds the extended search option so it'll work just like that. I use that and like it.

2. LED colors are integrated into the OS, so yes, you can now set different color LED's for different things.

3. No idea about the classic ringtones, and about the number of times, don't think so. But I think you can download OS5 ringtones, seen them here on these forums before, do a quick search for the link.

4. The hour glass is gone, it's smooth 95% of the time, but every now and then it might lag a little bit but NOWHERE close to the legacy days...

5. I went from 9000 to 9900 to Q10 and now Classic, and I really like it. Much better than Q10 for sure. There are some features from legacy devices that for whatever reason doesn't work on the new phones like the ability to type in alphanumeric phones numbers directly and it'll call it. Don't know why they decided to remove a good feature and make it work like any other phone without a keyboard, but overall I still really like the phone.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-18-15 06:53 PM
    1- yes, mostly. You can type universally even without hitting the S key first. Just type, but it is a slight bit slower sometimes.
    2- yes, but apps will give you much more flexibility
    3- yes, you can google your favorite tones, transfer to device and assign them. You can have up to 3 repeat tones for texts, emails, etc. I have changed all my tones to match what my 9900 sounded like
    4- no way. Hour glass doesn't exist on BB10
    5- Yes, overall more happy. I miss the ultra efficiency of the 9900, mostly the fact that berrypop app would light the screen and just put up the msessage like an Iphone or Android. For the life of me I can't figure out why BB won't allow this basic function anymore- the best you get is the lock screen lights up but you get ultra tiny text, and if an email you only see the subject. Also miss the ability to glance and have weather and upcoming calendar built into the wallpaper via yet another great app. Nobody has been able to do this yet (except for Homescreen plus that has horrible reviews and doesn't seem to actually work). But the pro's are the great screen, larger keyboard, and ability to run apps unlike the 9900. Also battery is really good. And I can't wait to load up an SD card with all my music. And it's just a beautiful phone. Also, calls sound really, really good.
    03-18-15 07:34 PM
    Thanks everyone for your input so far, keep it coming!

How is the quality of the antenna compared to the 9900. Do you get an increase/better reception/coverage?
    03-18-15 10:33 PM
    1. FYI some people depending on their OS/carrier for some reason doesn't have Google available under their extended search. This was quite a prominent issue in the past with leaks. People with Verizon had reported this recently.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 11:32 PM
    How? Can't find this feature. Does it work for the Passport do you know?

2. Yes, you can program the LED for different colors but that's about it. I still use Bebuzz for patterns and multiple colors.
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    03-19-15 04:03 AM
    How? Can't find this feature. Does it work for the Passport do you know?
    Settings- notifications - choose a profile- customise app notifications- choose an app- at the bottom choose led colour.
    Only if you're on 10.3.1 though
    03-19-15 04:12 AM
    1. Yes

2. Yes, and there are apps that allow you to create custom color combinations and assign them to certain apps or contacts (I use Notification Manager).

3. Not preloaded I believe, but you can find them still.

4. Hell naw. There is no hourglass in BB10. Welcome to QNX.

5. Didn't come from a Bold but I'm quite happy with it. The biggest gripe? I wish it had Passport (or at least Z30) specs! But it's fine for most purposes.

From a Classic
    03-19-15 08:02 AM
    OP, may I add a question to the list?
    I used the 9930, then switched to Z10 and now Z30. I am tempted to go Classic. I am wondering what former users of the 99xx models think of the "flat" keyboard on the Classic (and Q10) compared to the "curved" keyboard on the 99xx devices? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
    03-19-15 08:41 AM
    1. FYI some people depending on their OS/carrier for some reason doesn't have Google available under their extended search. This was quite a prominent issue in the past with leaks. People with Verizon had reported this recently.

Posted via CB10
    Something missing I guess I don't care about.
    03-19-15 08:53 AM
    I used the 9930, then switched to Z10 and now Z30. I am tempted to go Classic. I am wondering what former users of the 99xx models think of the "flat" keyboard on the Classic (and Q10) compared to the "curved" keyboard on the 99xx devices? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
    I went from 9900 to Classic. No problems with keyboard.
    03-19-15 08:58 AM

Go for it! The more discussion the better!

I have a Bold 9900 now and I typed on the Classic keyboard for a couple of mins in store and it did feel a little bit different and a bit less ergonomic but nowhere close to being a deal breaker. Can anyone comment if they get any strain typing long e mail/messages on there classic keyboard since it's less ergonomic.
    03-19-15 09:42 AM
    It might take a little getting used to, but it's the best keyboard so far. The Q10 I would say was maybe slightly worse than the 9900's, but the Classic is JUST big enough to where it's a breeze to type just as quickly and without looking as with the curved keyboard.

farskija likes this.
    03-19-15 05:34 PM
    Go for it! The more discussion the better!

I have a Bold 9900 now and I typed on the Classic keyboard for a couple of mins in store and it did feel a little bit different and a bit less ergonomic but nowhere close to being a deal breaker. Can anyone comment if they get any strain typing long e mail/messages on there classic keyboard since it's less ergonomic.
    It'll take a bit of getting used to, but once you're adjusted to it, it'll be just as good or even better. It's better in my opinion, but then again I went 9900 -> Q10 -> Classic so maybe the jump from Classic from the Q10 could be the reason why it feels so much better, but it's at the very least as good as the 9900 once you're used to the straight layout...

farskija and 1TIME like this.
    03-19-15 05:36 PM