Hi Everyone!

Last December I got a Classic Q20(D 335)

Prior to that, I had Bold 9780 for over 8 years, but in November 2019 my carrier(EE - United Kingdom) stopped providing email service to older Blackberries(not sure about the ins and outs of it, just remember getting the message few months prior to November cut off date)
    Never had any problems with Bold and loved the phone(still do!), it even had wi-fi calling which was very important to me in those early years when only few phones offered that facility.

So, because the email service for the Bold stopped I had to look out for the replacement, and I thought that Classic would be my best bet, because it looked familiar with what I was used to, well, more familiar then anything else on the market that wasn't running Blackberry's old software(7 or something like that)

Bought the Classic one and I managed to transfer stuff from my old phone to the Classic one using Blackberry Link App.

For the first few days everything was working as it should, and I was supper happy with my new phone. Mind you, I don't use any apps etc. only phone calls and emails so I guess there was not much to not be happy about.. Different interface to learn etc. but nothing too taxing on my super limited technical knowledge.

After few days of use, I noticed that I no longer get emails from my server. I have another phone(Samsung S7) which I use for my private stuff(Classic is only for my business - calls and emails) Emails would arrive on my Samsung but not on Classic.

Tried playing with few settings on my phone but nothing made any difference. Re-installed email address but to no avail.
    By chance, I discovered that if I restart the phone, it would then(immediately after coming back from reset) communicate with the server, download the emails(but not the sent ones!) and then it would revert back to the old ways - nothing at all..

Importantly(I think) I also discovered that the other way to make it get emails(but again - only incoming emails, not the sent ones!) is to go to "System Settings" - "Networks and Connections" - "Mobile Network" - "Network Mode" and then change from let's say "4G & 3G" mode to "4G & 3G & 2G" or "3G & 2G" mode..
    Changing to different mode would make the phone fetch the emails within 10-15 seconds, providing my Wi-Fi is not selected. If Wi-Fi was on it wouldn't receive any emails even after swapping modes. I would have to turn wi-fi off, and only then swap modes otherwise it wouldn't work.

But, this changing mode would only be good for a single emails "fetch". After that, if I wanted to get emails again - I would have to go back into settings and swap those modes again, in no particular order - if it was in "4G&3G" mode and I switched to "3G&2G" it would still work, just the same as the other way round..

In desperation, I then re-installed the phone with my very first back up I made immediately after I transferred the old phone's stuff.
    It worked for a day or so but again, it then reverted back to the old ways. Re-installed my email but still the same - phone worked ok for few hours but then it stopped getting mail.

Sorry for the long essay, I thought the more info I put the better chance that someone will be able to make some sense of it.
    I am hoping it is some kind of software issue, I love the phone and would love to keep it(and get couple of extra ones for the back up) but my gut feeling is that it might be hardware problem, or perhaps ??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I am totally clueless, don't even know where to start, or who to call - network provider or email server admin stuff?? Hope I didn't forget to include some important info..

Many thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by FelixCulpa; 02-10-20 at 02:41 AM.
    02-09-20 01:48 PM
    What email provider do you use and what OS version is your phone on?

I use virgin for email and plusnet (EE mobile network) and although emails are sometimes a bit slow, they do come through.

In the early days I also had problems with sent emails disappearing from the phone, that was when virgin used gmail, it hasn't been a problem since they moved away from google though.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    02-10-20 03:50 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry BTW.

02-10-20 03:51 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often....

You sound very knowledgeable. I’m assuming everything setup via imap and device you purchased was the correct regional variant?
    02-10-20 07:59 AM
    What email provider do you use and what OS version is your phone on?

I use virgin for email and plusnet (EE mobile network) and although emails are sometimes a bit slow, they do come through.

In the early days I also had problems with sent emails disappearing from the phone, that was when virgin used gmail, it hasn't been a problem since they moved away from google though.

Hi, thank you for the welcome, and for your time!
    Strange I have been using blackberry for over 9 years and never came across this forum
    Mind you, I never used any of blackberry advanced functions, just used it for phone calls and receiving and sending emails, so with my previous Bold, I never had any problems which would prompt me to chase the solution on the net..

For emails I use LCN, my website hosting provider - I have been using them for almost 9 years and never had a problem with them in relation to my emails. I am on EE mobile network too. Again, been with them forever and never had any problems either..

OS version wise, it runs on 10.3.3. 2137 - Blackberry Link tells me it is the latest software release, your number looks bigger than mine(3216 vs 2137), does it denote later/newer software release, and if it does - how is it even possible, shouldn't Blackberry Link be up to date?
    02-10-20 01:19 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often....

You sound very knowledgeable. I’m assuming everything setup via imap and device you purchased was the correct regional variant?
    Thank you for the welcome!

Not sure if your comment regarding BB knowledge is meant as a joke?

I am most probably the least knowledgeable guy when it comes to all things BBerry.
    Apart from receiving phone calls and emails and replying to them, I can honestly say I have never done anything else with it.
    And that is with my previous one - Bold 9780, a simple phone

Actually, I have never used any of the common programs associated with BB - not even BB messenger, never downloaded&opened a single app on it, and just reading about stuff like syncing contacts etc. is enough for me to start running scared

Getting back to you question - I have set up the imap email by just following instructions and inputting details from my email server provider. As for the regional variant, to be honest I wouldn't even know what that is?? If I had to guess, you probably mean if the device I bought is meant for UK? If that is the question - I don't really know, I bought it from a UK seller on Ebay, but that doesn't mean anything, device could have been imported... But how do I tell, if that is possible to tell at all?

many thanks in advance!
    02-10-20 01:31 PM
    Today I got in touch with the company that sold me Classic, hoping that they may be able to help me with the problem.
    The guy advised me to do the hard reset and said that should solve the problem.
    Thinking I've got nothing to lose, I did just that - from the Blackberry Link on my desktop, there is an option for a "Factory Reset"
    Before I did that, I performed the full back up of the phone.

After the reset, I again re-installed my IMAP email and initially everything appeared to be working ok, but within an hour or so my blackberry stopped syncing sent emails, yet again!

Another problem is, as expected, by doing a factory reset I have lost all of my contacts and "Remember" notes, the only 2 things that I transferred from my old device.
    Those things are buried somewhere in the full back up but I am reluctant to perform full restore in case I double up on some of the settings which have been performed by Factory Reset. For instance, I read somewhere on these forums that when restoring the back up you don't need to include the "Blackberry runtime" in "Application data" etc.

Not sure how to get my contacts and notes only, if that is at all possible to get separately, I read on some of the old threads that it used to be impossible(threads were few years old)?
    If I perform the full back up restore, will that clash with my newly installed clean "Factory reset" ?

So many questions.. hope all this makes sense to someone - I am totally clueless
    02-10-20 02:10 PM
    Thank you for the welcome!

Not sure if your comment regarding BB knowledge is meant as a joke?

I am most probably the least knowledgeable guy when it comes to all things BBerry.
    Apart from receiving phone calls and emails and replying to them, I can honestly say I have never done anything else with it.
    And that is with my previous one - Bold 9780, a simple phone

Actually, I have never used any of the common programs associated with BB - not even BB messenger, never downloaded&opened a single app on it, and just reading about stuff like syncing contacts etc. is enough for me to start running scared

Getting back to you question - I have set up the imap email by just following instructions and inputting details from my email server provider. As for the regional variant, to be honest I wouldn't even know what that is?? If I had to guess, you probably mean if the device I bought is meant for UK? If that is the question - I don't really know, I bought it from a UK seller on Ebay, but that doesn't mean anything, device could have been imported... But how do I tell, if that is possible to tell at all?

many thanks in advance!
    I was speaking about technology in general. I’m only speculating that it could be related to a device intended for another region since your were achieving success toggling with network bands toggle. You’ve literally hit my level of expertise...

Now over to you @conite and others....
    02-10-20 05:50 PM
    Hi Everyone!

Last December I got a Classic Q20(D 335)

Prior to that, I had Bold 9780 for over 8 years, but in November 2019 my carrier(EE - United Kingdom) stopped providing email service to older Blackberries(not sure about the ins and outs of it, just remember getting the message few months prior to November cut off date)
    Never had any problems with Bold and loved the phone(still do!), it even had wi-fi calling which was very important to me in those early years when only few phones offered that facility.

So, because the email service for the Bold stopped I had to look out for the replacement, and I thought that Classic would be my best bet, because it looked familiar with what I was used to, well, more familiar then anything else on the market that wasn't running Blackberry's old software(7 or something like that)

Bought the Classic one and I managed to transfer stuff from my old phone to the Classic one using Blackberry Link App.

For the first few days everything was working as it should, and I was supper happy with my new phone. Mind you, I don't use any apps etc. only phone calls and emails so I guess there was not much to not be happy about.. Different interface to learn etc. but nothing too taxing on my super limited technical knowledge.

After few days of use, I noticed that I no longer get emails from my server. I have another phone(Samsung S7) which I use for my private stuff(Classic is only for my business - calls and emails) Emails would arrive on my Samsung but not on Classic.

Tried playing with few settings on my phone but nothing made any difference. Re-installed email address but to no avail.
    By chance, I discovered that if I restart the phone, it would then(immediately after coming back from reset) communicate with the server, download the emails(but not the sent ones!) and then it would revert back to the old ways - nothing at all..

Importantly(I think) I also discovered that the other way to make it get emails(but again - only incoming emails, not the sent ones!) is to go to "System Settings" - "Networks and Connections" - "Mobile Network" - "Network Mode" and then change from let's say "4G & 3G" mode to "4G & 3G & 2G" or "3G & 2G" mode..
    Changing to different mode would make the phone fetch the emails within 10-15 seconds, providing my Wi-Fi is not selected. If Wi-Fi was on it wouldn't receive any emails even after swapping modes. I would have to turn wi-fi off, and only then swap modes otherwise it wouldn't work.

But, this changing mode would only be good for a single emails "fetch". After that, if I wanted to get emails again - I would have to go back into settings and swap those modes again, in no particular order - if it was in "4G&3G" mode and I switched to "3G&2G" it would still work, just the same as the other way round..

In desperation, I then re-installed the phone with my very first back up I made immediately after I transferred the old phone's stuff.
    It worked for a day or so but again, it then reverted back to the old ways. Re-installed my email but still the same - phone worked ok for few hours but then it stopped getting mail.

Sorry for the long essay, I thought the more info I put the better chance that someone will be able to make some sense of it.
    I am hoping it is some kind of software issue, I love the phone and would love to keep it(and get couple of extra ones for the back up) but my gut feeling is that it might be hardware problem, or perhaps ??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I am totally clueless, don't even know where to start, or who to call - network provider or email server admin stuff?? Hope I didn't forget to include some important info..

Many thanks in advance!!
    You issues sounds like a connection problem?

Who is the provider ? If I may ask?
    What region is your phone tied too?
    02-10-20 07:40 PM
    Do you have your apn set up correctly?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-20 03:32 AM
    You issues sounds like a connection problem?

Who is the provider ? If I may ask?
    What region is your phone tied too?
    Hi and thank you !

Provider is EE, UK biggest network. As for the region, I don't really know, is there way to look it up?
    Bought it from an internet seller on Ebay(reputable one) but the handset could be imported, for all I know?
    It was advertised as Unlocked, that's all I know. And the number next to Q20 was SQC 100-1, if that denominates anything region wise?

Cheers
    02-11-20 05:56 AM
    Do you have your apn set up correctly?

Posted via CB10
    Hi and thank you !

To be honest, I don't even know what "apn" stands for, never mind setting it correctly

As I mentioned in one of my previous replies, on the advice of the seller, yesterday I performed "Factory reset" with Blackberry link, and the phone&email has been working ok for the last 24 hours...
    I am not really sure how that factory reset affects things, I can only hope that it will make a difference?

Cheers
    02-11-20 06:03 AM
    I was speaking about technology in general. I’m only speculating that it could be related to a device intended for another region since your were achieving success toggling with network bands toggle. You’ve literally hit my level of expertise...

Now over to you @conite and others....
    Hi and thank you for the input!

I am not really good with technology in general either
    It was purely by an accident that I discovered that toggling between different network bands makes a difference(albeit only a temporary one).. I was desperate and started playing with "buttons", thinking I have nothing to lose, might as well try my luck

Cheers
    02-11-20 06:10 AM
    Hi and thank you !

Provider is EE, UK biggest network. As for the region, I don't really know, is there way to look it up?
    Bought it from an internet seller on Ebay(reputable one) but the handset could be imported, for all I know?
    It was advertised as Unlocked, that's all I know. And the number next to Q20 was SQC 100-1, if that denominates anything region wise?

Cheers
    That's the right model of phone so that in itself isn't the problem unless there is a hardware fault of some sort.

when you set up your email did you tick the use push email box?

I've not heard of your email provider, can you access your account via the web? If you can you might check the settings there to see if there is anything which might prevent it syncing.

I guess things should be ok on the server side though as your other phone has no issues.

The biggest problem is the fact that it works but doesn't if you know what I mean.

With regard to your contacts and notes you can restore them by doing a custom restore and de selecting all the apps and media just leaving the phone settings etc. This will at least allow you to back them up some other way as I would suggest if you are still having the problem you should use an autoloader to do a clean OS install. You are on the latest OS though, the number you quoted is the software release number which is different to the OS number. 2137 SR is 3216 OS.

Using an autoloader will wipe your phone again so make sure you back up again.

02-11-20 09:09 AM
    If all else fails here is a link to the autoloader for your phone, it uses the same file as the Z30 by the way. Download it to a PC unzip the file, plug your phone in and run the .exe file. It will totally wipe your phone and do a clean install, it only takes about 15 minutes and you can start with a fresh phone.

https://mega.nz/#!s9hGBACZ!rI_BxhXIL...eeBqF5DyH8cb6U

02-11-20 09:23 AM
    That's the right model of phone so that in itself isn't the problem unless there is a hardware fault of some sort.

when you set up your email did you tick the use push email box?

I've not heard of your email provider, can you access your account via the web? If you can you might check the settings there to see if there is anything which might prevent it syncing.

I guess things should be ok on the server side though as your other phone has no issues.

The biggest problem is the fact that it works but doesn't if you know what I mean.

With regard to your contacts and notes you can restore them by doing a custom restore and de selecting all the apps and media just leaving the phone settings etc. This will at least allow you to back them up some other way as I would suggest if you are still having the problem you should use an autoloader to do a clean OS install. You are on the latest OS though, the number you quoted is the software release number which is different to the OS number. 2137 SR is 3216 OS.

Using an autoloader will wipe your phone again so make sure you back up again.

Thank you sooo much for such an extensive reply, it is super helpful and super appreciated!

Not sure about the push email - I have installed it via IMAP thingy, and the process is more or less automatic. Other than filling in my email provider's server identifiers, I don't remember doing anything else.
    Yes, I can access my emails via web, my email is linked to my website domain. I have been with them since 2011 and never had a problem with my email..

As I mentioned in my earlier post, yesterday I did a "Factory reset"("reset your device to factory defaults")on Blackberry Link app, and it has been working like a charm since.

Now looking back, all I did when I initially got my phone was to load the back up file which I created from my old BB Bold. Maybe the phone already had some screwed up setting, which obviously would have remained on it, regardless of the back up file.
    Now that I did a Factory reset, with a bit of luck it might solve the problem, well, here is hoping

Thank you for the tip on restoring contacts and notes!
    Just double checking - when I open Blackberry Link I can see the options under "Back up Type" - "Custom back up" and then I have to tick off "Application data" and "Media" and just leave "Device settings and local contacts and Calendar Data?
    How are device settings going to influence this all, I am not really sure what device setting is supposed to be?

Thank you for the autoloader link, will definitely download it, how does it differ from from "Factory Reset" ?

Thank you once again for your time&effort, it is so very much appreciated!!
    02-11-20 11:47 AM
    Thank you sooo much for such an extensive reply, it is super helpful and super appreciated!

Not sure about the push email - I have installed it via IMAP thingy, and the process is more or less automatic. Other than filling in my email provider's server identifiers, I don't remember doing anything else.
    Yes, I can access my emails via web, my email is linked to my website domain. I have been with them since 2011 and never had a problem with my email..

As I mentioned in my earlier post, yesterday I did a "Factory reset"("reset your device to factory defaults")on Blackberry Link app, and it has been working like a charm since.

Now looking back, all I did when I initially got my phone was to load the back up file which I created from my old BB Bold. Maybe the phone already had some screwed up setting, which obviously would have remained on it, regardless of the back up file.
    Now that I did a Factory reset, with a bit of luck it might solve the problem, well, here is hoping

Thank you for the tip on restoring contacts and notes!
    Just double checking - when I open Blackberry Link I can see the options under "Back up Type" - "Custom back up" and then I have to tick off "Application data" and "Media" and just leave "Device settings and local contacts and Calendar Data?
    How are device settings going to influence this all, I am not really sure what device setting is supposed to be?

Thank you for the autoloader link, will definitely download it, how does it differ from from "Factory Reset" ?

Thank you once again for your time&effort, it is so very much appreciated!!
    I’m not sure if the Bold settings and the Classic settings match up. Since BBOS uses proprietary BIS data settings and BB10 uses carrier data settings, there could be some conflict.

Way above my pay grade. The email settings for BB10 would be similar or even same to Android/iOS settings using IMAP as I recall.
    02-11-20 01:36 PM
    Hi and thank you !

Cheers
    This was posted by Raino
    Attached Thumbnails Classic Q20 - Communication with email server problem-classic.png  
    02-11-20 02:18 PM
    I’m not sure if the Bold settings and the Classic settings match up. Since BBOS uses proprietary BIS data settings and BB10 uses carrier data settings, there could be some conflict.

Way above my pay grade. The email settings for BB10 would be similar or even same to Android/iOS settings using IMAP as I recall.
    Hi,

I am not sure if I explained myself properly.. I wasn't referring to the Bold settings.
    Initially, I was able to transfer all (most of, at least) the data from my old Bold to the new Classic, using Blackbery Link.
    Don't ask me how, can't remember now, I just know I did, by following a set of instructions from t'internet

Anyway, after that, my new Classic phone had all of my old contacts and notes(well, "Notes" on Bold - "Remember" on Classic)
    I then performed the back up of my Classic, just in case.
    That is the back up I was taking about

So, now, that particular initial Classic back up contains my contacts and "remember" notes, which I had lost yesterday by doing factory reset.

Now, m3ach kindly advised me how to go about importing just those contacts and notes separately(without having to import all the rest of the backed up data). He said I should go into the "custom" back up and only import "Device settings and local contacts and Calendar Data", and that should sort out my contacts and notes.

I was just curious/concerned, having been bitten once, whether importing "device settings" would again alter some settings on my phone.
    I was thinking to myself, the phone is working ok at the moment, and I wouldn't like to alter its "settings" again - with my luck...

Yes, I think you are right about the IMAP settings etc.

Hope it makes sense

Cheers
    02-11-20 02:29 PM
    This was posted by Raino
    Wow! thank you for the comprehensive diagram.. I must have spent the best part of the afternoon chasing those values on the net
    Should have just waited for your post

Yes, my model, SQC100-1 seems to be perfectly ok for UK market, judging by that info.

Thank you so much, I am not sure if there is anything else I should learn from those tables?

Cheers!
    02-11-20 02:35 PM
    Wow! thank you for the comprehensive diagram.. I must have spent the best part of the afternoon chasing those values on the net

Yes, my model, SQC100-1 seems to be perfectly ok for UK market, judging by that info.

Thank you so much, I am not sure if there is anything else I should learn from those tables?

Cheers!
    Make sure that device matches box matches seller listing
    02-11-20 03:06 PM
    Make sure that device matches box matches seller listing
    Thank you - the phone was new/unused, but it didn't come with any accessories, boxes etc. just "gentlemen's agreement"

Cheers
    02-11-20 03:36 PM

Cheers!
    No worries, glad I found the info on Crackberry for you.................post often.
    02-11-20 05:10 PM
    If you want your notes and contacts back from your bold, do you have outlook on your PC?

If you do you can sync the bold with outlook to load all your contacts on there and then sync the Classic with outlook too. If you don't have outlook I guess you could use someone else's PC if they have outlook by setting up a user account on their computer and using outlook on that account to do the transfer.

As far as the notes go I'm not sure how you could do that unless you can export them into another format and import them into the Classic.

Hope that helps, it should avoid transferring the settings across again if you can make it work.

02-11-20 06:07 PM
    If you want your notes and contacts back from your bold, do you have outlook on your PC?

If you do you can sync the bold with outlook to load all your contacts on there and then sync the Classic with outlook too. If you don't have outlook I guess you could use someone else's PC if they have outlook by setting up a user account on their computer and using outlook on that account to do the transfer.

As far as the notes go I'm not sure how you could do that unless you can export them into another format and import them into the Classic.

Hope that helps, it should avoid transferring the settings across again if you can make it work.

Thank you!

Not sure if I explained that part regarding the back up file properly.

When I got my Classic, I transferred data from Bold to Classic using Blackberry Link, and all my old contacts and notes were transferred to Classic, successfully.
    Then, I made a full back up file from Classic, just in case..

So, if I am going to import settings, notes and contacts by selecting the option you mentioned - "Device settings and local contacts and Calendar Data" - those settings would not be from Bold, but from the very first back up file I created with Classic.

The only thing I am not sure about is what "Device settings" entails, what sort of interference would that have with my present settings on the phone?
    Maybe it has nothing to do with major/important things like mobile carrier's settings etc. If it is only the settings like what ringtone, volume etc. then I don't mind playing with that again..

It's been 2 days since the factory reset and the phone works like a clockwork, I wouldn't want to screw it up by cutting corners

Thank you for the tip on syncing to outlook, I will have to read a bit more about those things and learn how to do it, it sounds like a very useful feature - I feel like a caveman

I guess another way to do it would be to get another phone(which I am going to do anyway, providing my Classic works ok now) and then play with back up files and settings.. and if something goes wrong - just do the Factory reset

Many thanks for your time and effort - it is very much appreciated!
    02-12-20 03:55 AM
28 12