01-08-16 07:32 AM
137 1234 ...
tools
    I understand the analogy, but I disagree. The Curve may have been Corolla-like in terms of hardware, but with OS 7 it was Corolla on the outside and Lexus on the inside. OS 7 had very high levels of functionality, and so the OP's old Curve was like a Corolla with heated power seats, a/c, telescopic steering, etc., etc. I'm sure you get my point.

So now he buys a ... Lexus. Kind of. Except it's Corolla-ish on the inside. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles he's accustomed to having (although it's getting there, slowly). Check out Kevin's comments on email 'triage' which BlackBerry is trying to address. At this point, OP has a Lexus and every once in a while, the manufacturer adds in the luxury functionality that he expected to be there already (umm, Mr. OP? Your air conditioning is ready now.... Sorry it took 2 years).

Can we stop with the analogy of cars? It doesn't translate. Even a car 20 years old is enough to go 60 mph and that's enough fo many. Bbos devices have difficulty loading modern webpages at this point. They can't install any modern apps and don't see OS updates anymore. Even if you are productive anymore you are very limited on what you can be productive on.

It's like having a 30 year old ford that can't go passed 40mph, doesn't have AC, and can't be fixed at the mechanics if there's ever an issue

See what I did there? I just used a car analogy. Shoot me!

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and kbz1960 like this.
    12-20-14 02:28 PM
    You are coming from a curve and basing this on 2 hours of use? Hahahahaha. BB still takes time to learn, even with a tool belt.

I'm upgrading from a 9310 Curve.

TL;DR version: This phone is VERY biased towards touch, I was expecting better key, trackpad and shortcut implementation.

Longer version: Here are some things I noticed in my 2 hours of playing....
    (some stuff I may not of figured out, feel free to correct me)

• Maps has no shortcuts.
    • 'Minimize to Hub then open the requested app' animation is annoying as heck.
    • Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    • Can't esc or back out of some popup menus.
    • OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    • Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    • Can't open selected link in new tab using trackpad.
    • Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    • Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    • Enter key does advance to next entry or finish an entry.
    • No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.
    • added more
    • Caution- found 2 ways that BB closes an app and will not prompt you to save and you lose data.
    • Can't open submenus by trackpading left or right.
    • Can't auto spell correct words while still at the end of the word.
    • T shortcut in calendar does not select and highlight today.
    • Can't open bookmarks with K shortcut in initially opened tab page.
    • Can't do the 'alt-tab' like feature to go directly back to the last used app.
    • Live tiles shows the clock instead of the timer that is running.
    • In title of notes, can't shift select whole line with trackpad up/down motion.
    • On screen paste square keeps popping up even though I've already pasted.

I'm not seeing the UPGRADED in efficiency except for overall hardware.
    12-20-14 02:42 PM
    I got the Classic yesterday and am completely happy with it.

I think I might be one of those key-target person ;-)
    I had/have a Bold 9900 and got a Z10 to use the new BB10 (which, for the OS itself is more powerful), but somehow always missed my Bold, and finally went back to it (the trackpad, the qwerty etc.).

So I am now really happy to have all the good features of BB10 including my missed toolbelt.

I so love having a back-button again!!

Posted via CB10
    freedomx20a, geekaren and nick13b like this.
    12-20-14 02:43 PM
    Can we stop with the analogy of cars? It doesn't translate. Even a car 20 years old is enough to go 60 mph and that's enough fo many. Bbos devices have difficulty loading modern webpages at this point. They can't install any modern apps and don't see OS updates anymore. Even if you are productive anymore you are very limited on what you can be productive on.

It's like having a 30 year old ford that can't go passed 40mph, doesn't have AC, and can't be fixed at the mechanics if there's ever an issue

See what I did there? I just used a car analogy. Shoot me!

Posted via CB10
    And to continue with the car analogies, BB7 is DOA in today's market. Even if BlackBerry built an improved BB7 device, it wouldn't sell. Period. It'd be like Honda bringing back the original Accord or Toyota bringing back the original Corolla and selling it as a current model. Outside of enthusiasts and collectors, it would be a failure of epic proportions (and illegal due to emissions standards, but that's another matter entirely.)

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX, Soul_Est and donemt like this.
    12-20-14 02:50 PM
    I went from a Bold 9000 --> 9700 --> 9900 --> Q10 --> Classic. That transition from 9900 to Q10 took some time. It was a completely different OS. Of course, the initial Q10 OS had many more issues than the one we use today....

I got my classic yesterday and I love it so far. My biggest annoyances were the lack of a call end key, the need to teach people how to do the perfect swype to replicate the "back" button in Android apps (or lose more valuable screen real-estate having an always-on-screen button), the difficulty setting the cursor in just the right position (trying to set the cursor after the last character on a line was sometimes very frustrating with big fingers), and that I missed doing text selection with the trackpad. The classic fixes the first three of my complaints. I do not understand why they did not implement text selection similar to the OS7 devices, though. When you hold down the trackpad you can select a word or select all - but not begin a selection and start moving the trackpad to determine how much you want to select. I think that is an oversight and I'm really hoping they come back and fix that one. Other than that - I'm completely over my 9900. It just takes a little time.
    eldrover and BEEBEEBEEBEE like this.
    12-20-14 02:59 PM
    This may be only partially related - but why not keep a phone you love? The 9900 is a superior business phone and if all you do is text and email, just keep it. My father was a writer. He used the same typewriter from 1948 till the mid-70's, then got a similar model and used it till he passed away in 1981. He was prolific, published all the time and never wanted an electric typewriter. I know folks that have old flip phones because all they do is talk...it's actually a *phone* for them, not an entertainment device
    This is probably the best post I've read on here. Use what works best for you.
    gtrvox, tuxedo323 and donemt like this.
    12-20-14 03:14 PM
    but not begin a selection and start moving the trackpad to determine how much you want to select. I think that is an oversight and I'm really hoping they come back and fix that one. .
    Set the cursor where you want to start, press Shift key once, move trackpad left/right as needed.
    momofteme likes this.
    12-20-14 03:21 PM
    This is probably the best post I've read on here. Use what works best for you.
    That may be true, but that is just putting off the inevitable. In addition, most people who have made the switch are eventually glad they did.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1154
    12-20-14 03:22 PM

TL;DR version: This phone is VERY biased towards touch, I was expecting better key, trackpad and shortcut implementation.

You need to upgrade to a Bold 9900.

BB10 OS is not for you.
    2c and Soul_Est like this.
    12-20-14 04:06 PM
    I haven't used the Classic myself (yet), but I'd wager there's definitely room for improvement. It's the same issue BBOS had adapting to touchscreens, but the inverse - BB10 is going to have issues adapting to the trackpad. Hell, considering that the Storm was BBOS' first attempt at touch, I'd say we're already ahead of the game with the Classic. It will never work exactly like BBOS, but it will likely become more polished with time.

Until then, you'll have to decide whether to stick with BBOS until its death, or learn and adapt in exchange for the advantages of BB10. Not a decision we can make for you here, but personally, I've been very happy to move on from BBOS. BB10 just makes more sense in a modern world, IMHO.
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-20-14 04:51 PM

SNIP!! .
    You gave it 2 hours and then decided all of this, give it 2 weeks then come back and let us know your feelings.
    I struggled with BB10 at first and missed my previous phone, I went back to my old phone during a vaction 6 months laterbecause it was unlocked ..... I couldn't wait to get that sim card back in my Z10.
    12-20-14 05:39 PM
    I know that Blackberry and Crackberry had been trying to pitch the Classic as the ultimate BB OS7 successor; but, it's just not conceivably possible to get a BB OS7 experience out of BB10. The two OSes are radically different.

If you like what you got, stick with it. =)
    12-20-14 07:14 PM
    Sadly my list has grown since my first post. (will post more later)

This OS/apps needs quite a bit of fixing for efficient, productive tool belt usage. I'm finding it very lacking. Debating if I will keep this phone or not.
    It's not OS7, and there are BETTER ways to do all the stuff you mentioned in BB10. But it sounds like you want the belt. OK, BlackBerry has you covered. Get the Classic. Solved.
    12-20-14 07:37 PM
    And that's why I don't use an iphone. It's too simple - meaning that it doesn't have the powerful capabilities and efficiencies of bb10 that make communication so much better. Sure, I could drive my son's electric 4 wheeler to work everyday, but my car gets me there faster and more efficiently. Use the best tools for the job which are not always the easiest to learn.

I know. That's why I said "I think a long time BlackBerry fan would be frustrated by the lack of business-oriented developments. They would probably feel like their needs weren't considered"
    12-20-14 07:43 PM
    I hope this is not the common feeling from legacy BB users. Because BlackBerry stopped from going forward and came back to please legacy BB users, with a hope that legacy users will be happy with Classic and upgrade. They could have spent resource on developing something way way cooler for the rest of the world, say Z50.
    12-20-14 11:00 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    People must move on from the past!... really... I have used every blackberry device since the first... all have pros and cons... stop with this obsession!!

Classic and Passport are the new future with OS 10.3... it's where its at..

"In the good old days we had radio... who needs TV?" type mentality must stop.

And please no more "objective" analysis after24 hour of use.. it takes time to learn about the new capabilities and features.. prior to that you are NOT objective but just clinging on to old ways...it's just a fact!!

Let's here your evaluation after a month.. then it's more credible...

Clinging on to the past only serves to weaken the very company you cling on to...

Posted via CB10
    AL8x B, mk2234 and rthonpm like this.
    12-20-14 11:30 PM
    Of course BB will look at the list of complaints their loyal bb7 users want and put them in bb10 just a matter of time.

Dont expect a smooth transition. When I first got the q10 the transition was not smooth.
    12-20-14 11:38 PM
    thats why they call it the classic(trash)in my eyes
    12-20-14 11:39 PM
    thats why they call it the classic(trash)in my eyes
    what the classic is trash for you? why?
    12-20-14 11:41 PM
    what the classic is trash for you? why?
    Because newer must be better, duh.
    12-20-14 11:53 PM
    I believe the OP is expressing what concerned me. BlackBerry added a toolbelt to BB10, and tried to sell it as a new BBOS phone, but never developed shortcut keys for the Q line, and now have the top row added with limited abilities. I'm surprised the OP didn't mention missing BIS too. For those who already tasted BB10 and ran back, this is lipstick on a pig. For those who are moving from BBOS for the first time, expecting a fully functioning toolbelt, this has to be a WTF moment for most.

I love BB10, and wouldn't go back for nuttin'. Heck, I never thought I could give up keys or belt, and don't miss either. That's why I expected these threads. I have a long list of things I miss from BBOS. Some have been addressed as the OS has advanced, but even on 10.3.1, there are many things I find were superior on BBOS. For BlackBerry to win the hearts of those who haven't moved forward, or moved on to something else, they need to make the Classic truly classic in a sense.

To make a car analogy, it's like buying the new Corolla, when you were used to the previous model, and now the steering wheel and shifter have half the capabilities. Sure, there's lots of new features beyond that, but if two big features you bought it for disappoint, what is the point?
    Fr3lncr, sam_tek, WES51 and 1 others like this.
    12-20-14 11:58 PM
    People must move on from the past!... really... I have used every blackberry device since the first... all have pros and cons... stop with this obsession!!

Classic and Passport are the new future with OS 10.3... it's where its at..

"In the good old days we had radio... who needs TV?" type mentality must stop.

And please no more "objective" analysis after24 hour of use.. it takes time to learn about the new capabilities and features.. prior to that you are NOT objective but just clinging on to old ways...it's just a fact!!

Let's here your evaluation after a month.. then it's more credible...

Clinging on to the past only serves to weaken the very company you cling on to...

Posted via CB10
    No, really they don't. They have every right to love BlackBerry as it was, and still is if they keep their old phone. I find nothing wrong with that at all. I have a mixture of technologies in my life, as most do. The older stuff I stick with, because I prefer their design and function. If one doesn't find something an improvement, kudos to them for not feeling the need to keep up with the Jones'.
    TgeekB, sam_tek, kbz1960 and 1 others like this.
    12-21-14 12:06 AM
    Thank you all. Yes the more I use this Classic, I'm sadly realizing this is quite a different OS. As we all know, different is not necessarily better to everyone.

I am now smacked in the face with the hard fact that this is not a BB7 replacement, and I highly doubt there ever will be.

In the Classic I'm gladly seeing more features and hardware speed, most everything else looks cumbersome. It's pretty obvious toolbelt functionality was tacked on as best they could. I was hoping for more of a ground up revamp for toolbelt usage.

OS updates may help I suppose. Depends how BB continues it and how far.
    the thing is that if bbos7 was still around then there would be no blackberry.....................bbos7 is old and dead this is the only way that blackberry had a chance to still alive ,bb10 is new and getting better with each os update using something new will always take time to get used to all of us who came from bbos7 have been where you are now give it time and you will find that it will get better
    12-21-14 01:19 AM

• Maps has no shortcuts.
    • 'Minimize to Hub then open the requested app' animation is annoying as heck.
    • Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    • Can't esc or back out of some popup menus.
    • OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    • Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    • Can't open selected link in new tab using trackpad.
    • Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    • Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    • Enter key does advance to next entry or finish an entry.
    • No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.
    • added more
    • Caution- found 2 ways that BB closes an app and will not prompt you to save and you lose data.
    • Can't open submenus by trackpading left or right.
    • Can't auto spell correct words while still at the end of the word.
    • T shortcut in calendar does not select and highlight today.
    • Can't open bookmarks with K shortcut in initially opened tab page.
    • Can't do the 'alt-tab' like feature to go directly back to the last used app.
    • Live tiles shows the clock instead of the timer that is running.
    • In title of notes, can't shift select whole line with trackpad up/down motion.
    • On screen paste square keeps popping up even though I've already pasted.

Yes, BB10 is very biased towards touch but you cannot say it is not upgraded in efficiency, simply because you need a little bit better knowledge and mastering of the OS before judging and comparing with BBOS.

At this point in time the tool belt implementation may not be as efficient as it was in prior OSes, but the Classic is much more than just the tool belt and trackpad implementation.

I switched from a 9700 to a Z30 early this year and now also have a Q10. Both new devices are overall much more efficient than my Bold was, though there certainly is room for improvement.

By the way you can assign any available shortcut to Maps or any other application.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:24 AM
    I don't think the Classic even with the trackpad will be the same as using trackpad in os7. The bb10 was built for gestures and I'm thankful that it has become better every update. In future it willl have more updates and making trackpad improvement.I'll be counting on that When I first held the Q10 coming from 9360 and 9780 I had to bare in mind it was a different OS and have to keep an open mind. Of course I have annoyances but I'll just have to live with it since I really didn't fancy other phones. I have tried iphone and samsung but I keep on buying other phones(cant last 6 months) and selling the other one as I was not satisfied. It was not just what I look for a smartphone.

I'm very much looking forward to this phone even if I have the Q10. I just hope my carrier will have it.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 02:39 AM
137 1234 ...