Bold9900 is irreplaceable. The passport does the job perfectly well. 10.3.1 as an os is too heavy for the hardware packed in the classic and will crash more often than one expects.

If blackberry wants to truly replace the bold, they should make a bb10 replica, I would buy that phone as quickly as a hipster buys the new iPhone and for a higher price too !!

Drop gestures, and if you want to introduce new features don't force them on your clients. Give them an option to turn them off as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 03:24 PM
    Really agree for that, BlackBerry didn't support trackpad perfectly on their own apps !!

BBM is horrible with trackpad!!!
    - if you make font size either 6 or 8, will show the same messages with un-used space
    - navigation through chat should be as a pointer through text messages( like BBOS) so we can select/choose/browse links/ enter #hashtaq easily

Here is a screenshot of BBM chat with font size (5)

Attachment 325101

Posted via CB10
    It's going to maintain a certain size row, to fit the smilies.
    01-03-15 05:17 PM
    Bold9900 is irreplaceable. The passport does the job perfectly well. 10.3.1 as an os is too heavy for the hardware packed in the classic and will crash more often than one expects.

If blackberry wants to truly replace the bold, they should make a bb10 replica, I would buy that phone as quickly as a hipster buys the new iPhone and for a higher price too !!

Drop gestures, and if you want to introduce new features don't force them on your clients. Give them an option to turn them off as well.

Posted via CB10
    10.3.1 will run perfectly fine on the Classic. It's not that dang bad.
    01-03-15 05:18 PM
    +1^^^^^^^^
    01-03-15 05:28 PM
    Why 'it WILL run perfectly fine with 10.3.1' or 'it WILL crash more often with 10.3.1' ???

It already shipped with 10.3.1, and it DOES run perfectly fine and it DOES NOT crash more often.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 06:28 PM
    People must move on from the past!... really... I have used every blackberry device since the first... all have pros and cons... stop with this obsession!!

Classic and Passport are the new future with OS 10.3... it's where its at..

"In the good old days we had radio... who needs TV?" type mentality must stop.

And please no more "objective" analysis after24 hour of use.. it takes time to learn about the new capabilities and features.. prior to that you are NOT objective but just clinging on to old ways...it's just a fact!!

Let's here your evaluation after a month.. then it's more credible...

Clinging on to the past only serves to weaken the very company you cling on to...

Posted via CB10
    AGREED!

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 11:42 PM
    Dont agree with some of what has been posted. I too have suffered a lot and missed out on a lot since I moved from 7 to 10 but with time I found a workaround for everything...give the Classic a chance and with time you'll realize it's the best decision you have ever made

Posted via my Blackberry Classic
    01-04-15 02:52 AM
    This is a good post, but the first thing on the list should have been "it's not BB08", which of course it's not meant to be.

This is a whole new/different OSS. Best comparison I have heard is that it's like going from Windows XP to MAC. If you were vested in one, there's no way the other one will match it. They are just very different as side from both being OS's.

Again, NOT to try to take away from the post. It's probably going best I've seen for those considering moving from BBOS to BB10. Best know what you're getting into.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-15 04:02 PM
    wow! You are good!

Some good points but trust me I came to BlackBerry Z10 when first released from a Bold 9900 and i thought i went back into time! I got used to it quickly. How are you doing with the Classic now?

To your points of 8 apps, I've been using BB10 devices for the past 2 years now, I can't remember one time that I had more than 6 apps running at the same time.

If you are comparing the number of apps on OS7 to BB10, keep in mind some apps took a VERY long time to load on those devices. That problem does not exist anymore. Also keep in mind there are headless apps running to that are not limited to 8. The limitations is 8 Active frame apps on most devices and more on the Passport.

but it was really interesting for me to read your detailed write up. It was very similar to the concerns that i had back in the day.

Im now so efficient with BB10 that i can't even use my old 9900 the way i used to. It is for sure a touch geared product (as was the 9900)
    01-29-15 02:04 PM
    It's a 3.1 to 95 change gap.. 95 onward is all ui changes (in terms of end user interaction)

You just have to get over it... like in 3.1 there was a desktop like we know and love today but it was rarely seen as the lack of start and windowd apps etc. we always remember what now days would be considered living in mycomputer.

The same from BlackBerry os7 to 10 it's the same in function but very different in hows- yet rooted in the same methodology.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    01-29-15 02:56 PM
    Really agree for that, BlackBerry didn't support trackpad perfectly on their own apps !!

BBM is horrible with trackpad!!!
    - if you make font size either 6 or 8, will show the same messages with un-used space
    - navigation through chat should be as a pointer through text messages( like BBOS) so we can select/choose/browse links/ enter #hashtaq easily

Here is a screenshot of BBM chat with font size (5)

Attachment 325101

Posted via CB10
    this is ****ty,

in my 9360 if I reduce the font size, it actually reduces the actual OS size in whole, not just the text only text element of the OS.
    Last edited by 2c; 01-29-15 at 04:29 PM.
    01-29-15 04:11 PM
    When the Q10 was released the editing and phone functions where so poor many where begging for the tool belt.

Now I have the classic with the latest OS, the editing has finally come of age and I barely need the trackpad - and in some cases it just causes confusion particularly when selecting options and two items often appear to be selected.

I never thought I'd say this, but now I've used the classic for a few days, I actually think the trackpad is a retrograde step. I do like the efficiency of the toolbelt though, and almost feel removing the trackpad would make space for a dedicated hub button next to the phone button.

I do though think the classic is just a little to big and heavy for general messaging. I would prefer the Q10 with the latest software, but I have absolutely no faith in the Q10 keyboard which drove me nuts double typing. Also, it has a lack of touch sensitivity around the edges of the screen.

The passport is undoubtedly a great phone, but too big for me. Perhaps a 'Visa' version with similar dimensions to the Q10 would be have been perfect.
    ny1979 likes this.
    01-29-15 05:35 PM
    To the OP's point of missing shortcuts: BlackBerry 10 allows you to create your own shortcuts for speed dials, app launches and other actions. Check your System Settings and you'll find the option quite clearly.
    Classic not exactly what I expected coming from Curve-img_20150130_070419.png

Once you've gotten there, you have quite a few pre-populated but other than dialing Voicemail all of them are editable, for instance I have my M key set as a shortcut to launch Maps. If you select a key to edit, you'll get these options:

Classic not exactly what I expected coming from Curve-img_20150130_070403.png

Going to BlackBerry 10 can take some time, but as some people have said you can't make a snap decision. It takes a good two weeks and a good dig through the settings to get a good grasp on the OS, but once you've customised it to your workflow it becomes almost second nature.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-15 06:09 AM
    Wow.....makes me not want to get the expensive classic now
    02-01-15 02:52 AM
    To the OP's point of missing shortcuts: BlackBerry 10 allows you to create your own shortcuts* for speed dials, app launches and other actions.
    Just to be clear, this is not what I'm referring to in any of my issues. But its a good reminder for those that may not know of this simple feature.

*Must be noted that app launch shortcuts are currently the slower press and hold type.
    02-01-15 08:40 AM
    It's a 3.1 to 95 change gap.. 95 onward is all ui changes (in terms of end user interaction)
    That's the perfect analogy and makes sense of the whole situation for me. With Windows 95, MS over-reached and under-delivered. I waited patiently with Windows 3.1 until Windows 2000 (shocking, I know!), because with 3.1, I didn't have to worry about losing my work to a frozen/BSOD'd computer and I didn't want to have to learn a new system when it wasn't really worth learning. When Windows 2000 came out, despite massive changes in interface design, I made the switch happily, because the system was stable and by then I had hardware that made the workflow make sense (there really wasn't much sense to running multiple windows on an 8.9" laptop screen).

BB10/QNX is very stable on my Q10. The workflow? At this point, it's just not as good as OS 7.1. So I find myself back on my Bold 9900. Maybe I need better hardware (like a Passport) to make the design choices in BB10 make sense. I don't know. One thing I do know is that when it's ready, it will be obvious, like it was with Windows 2000.
    02-16-15 08:28 AM
    I also migrated from a Curve that I drove for almost 3 years. I purposefully held out until the Classic was released for two reasons: A) I can't type a touch screen worth a damn B) I didn't want to loose my 'belt'.

Yes there are a lot of differences between the old OS7 devices and the Classic but they are all able to be overcome IMO.

Keep I mind the Classic has been out for two months, most certainly still in its infancy.

The thing I miss most from my Curve? One handed navigation. With the trackpad and fully functional BlackBerry key I could navigate one handed around the entire device unless I had to actually type. Hopefully they will restore some of this functionality in future updates.

In the mean time, stop focusing on the negatives and explore all the expanded functionality of your new Classic!!

Posted from my Classic
    Elite1 likes this.
    02-16-15 06:12 PM
    I also migrated from a Curve that I drove for almost 3 years. I purposefully held out until the Classic was released for two reasons: A) I can't type a touch screen worth a damn B) I didn't want to loose my 'belt'.

Yes there are a lot of differences between the old OS7 devices and the Classic but they are all able to be overcome IMO.

Keep I mind the Classic has been out for two months, most certainly still in its infancy...

... In the mean time, stop focusing on the negatives and explore all the expanded functionality of your new Classic!!

Posted from my Classic
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!

Great post from a newer member!
    02-16-15 06:22 PM
    If you are contemplating leaving to go back to the bold or whatever, remember that you are just delaying the inevitable. Their will not be more than 1 more year of support for that product.
    I doubt you seriously belive that support will cease in 1 year.

And what is wrong with delaying until Classic
    a) matures
    and
    b) is deeply discounted to for 0.99 on a two year contract.

Why the big hurry to buy something that the manufacturer released with this many issues?
    02-16-15 08:57 PM
    I'm a hs teacher. Have seen a number of students with Q5's, and this week, saw two classics. Very surprising but the classic users seemed to like them. High school students are very patient with phones I find. Most of them are using phones with cracked screens and other glitches..old software etc. As long as they text and take pics.

Mostly they use hand me downs from mom or dad.
    Anyway off topic but thought I would mention it.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:52 AM
    I doubt you seriously belive that support will cease in 1 year.

And what is wrong with delaying until Classic
    a) matures
    and
    b) is deeply discounted to for 0.99 on a two year contract.

Why the big hurry to buy something that the manufacturer released with this many issues?
    Support for BB os7 has already been terminated gas it not? Or at least the company has announced said termination of support.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:53 AM
    Anything else wrong w the classic?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-21-15 11:02 AM
    Support for BB os7 has already been terminated gas it not? Or at least the company has announced said termination of support.
    The 9900 was just recently rereleased and Blackberry still offers some other OS7 phones too. How could support be terminated for phones that are offered or are still under warranty?
    02-21-15 11:14 AM
    Looking at it the other way, how could BlackBerry spend precious resources on a very out dated software that has relation to its original.
    Apple and Google don't work on two operating systems, how could BlackBerry afford to?

I don't know anything for a fact buy my gut says they are just maintains basic legacy support until the last remaining BES7 customers move over to BES10 or BES12. That's about 1 or 2 years away I would think. No longer.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 01:14 PM
    Looking at it the other way, how could BlackBerry spend precious resources on a very out dated software that has relation to its original.
    Apple and Google don't work on two operating systems, how could BlackBerry afford to?

I don't know anything for a fact buy my gut says they are just maintains basic legacy support until the last remaining BES7 customers move over to BES10 or BES12. That's about 1 or 2 years away I would think. No longer.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. I would still say it depends on how many enterprise customers there are on bbos by then, but if BlackBerry doesn't have a plan to move on in 2 years we are all in trouble

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 01:41 PM
137 ... 3456