A blast from the past!! I remember a lot of those shortcuts. Particularly, when Google Maps was still usable on BlackBerry.

As far as laggy apps go, nothing could possibly be worse than my Android running Jellybean when it originally came with Froyo. Nothing sucks more than an OS software update that is incompatible with hardware (ahem iOS, ahem).

BlackBerry updates, leaked or official, so far have been hardware friendly. Of all the different OS options out there, BlackBerry has the least amount of junk apps. Once you get used to the new OS, going back to BB7 will feel like using Windows 95 after using 7 for so long.

Ad for OneNote.... I highly suggest loading Snap, and downloading ColorNote. More on this later!

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 09:06 PM
    Well, sounds like the toolbelt gimmick won't fool anyone for very long.

Oh well.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    12-23-14 09:27 PM
    Long weekend and found many more things to add to the list. See the first post in this thread.

As usual, if anyone feels there is an error, misunderstanding or omission; feel free to let me know so I can correct it, thanks.

I will also say, I have encountered MANY instances where the Classic would lag to what I would deem unacceptable amounts. The lag was mainly in the Calendar app but also in Notes, Docs to Go and Hub.
    12-28-14 09:07 PM
    The most annoying adjustment is how the Talk button interacts. I use Classic for talk/text 95% of the time and I am so used to being able to start typing numbers or letters from homescreen and have the ability to call or select a contact. instead it just brings up a personal assistant which has thus far confused me way more than it has assisted me. Also when I press call from a txt msg it goes to the calls screen instead of giving me the option to call the current msg contact. It just seems like I have to go through way too many menus or gestures just to make a phone call. I wish it would go straight to the search textbox in contacts. I hate having to touch the textbox every time i wish to search for a contact. I know I am old school but it feels like my productivity has been slowed down going from the curve to the classic. Maybe I am missing something or have to get used to touching things all the time or i am supposed to be a different kind of productive. I havent used any of the apps or emails or twitters etc besides clock, calculator and weather.
    12-29-14 08:09 PM
    The most annoying adjustment is how the Talk button interacts. I use Classic for talk/text 95% of the time and I am so used to being able to start typing numbers or letters from homescreen and have the ability to call or select a contact. instead it just brings up a personal assistant which has thus far confused me way more than it has assisted me. Also when I press call from a txt msg it goes to the calls screen instead of giving me the option to call the current msg contact. It just seems like I have to go through way too many menus or gestures just to make a phone call. I wish it would go straight to the search textbox in contacts. I hate having to touch the textbox every time i wish to search for a contact. I know I am old school but it feels like my productivity has been slowed down going from the curve to the classic. Maybe I am missing something or have to get used to touching things all the time or i am supposed to be a different kind of productive. I havent used any of the apps or emails or twitters etc besides clock, calculator and weather.
    try this...>while in the text app chatting with someone>press the menu button>scroll with trackpad to call and push that doesn't take long
    12-29-14 10:40 PM
    Added several more.

Note, I have little to no phono app or msg app or bbm app comments since I do not yet have a carrier sim card installed.
    12-30-14 07:03 AM
    Thank you op, I'm happy with my upgrade (went from curve to a 9900) and going to buy a note 4 that way I'll have the best of two worlds. I've said it before and I'll say it again bb10 is too complicated and the focus on gestures has been a mistake. Having a trackpad and not being able to make a custom selection is a downer did you try out macros that's one of the reasons why os7 had been so efficient ?

There is a reason why android is using buttons for navigation.. Also I'm sick of hearing about how old os7 is the op gave an honest review and people area flaming him for that? Seriously the bb10 diehards still seem to have hard time accepting that efficiency beats content consumption.

To further use the car analogy.
    Ford decided to ditch the touch screen for real buttons because it's better and more precise so new doesn't always mean better.

Or to use OS: XP versus Windows 8 XP may have been older but it's still miles ahead of 8
    If you think that BB10 with gestures is too complicated, I wonder how you even function in this world. There are only a few gestures and it doesn't take long to learn them to be proficient. Driving a car with a standard is way more complicated than BB10 and lots of people can do it. iOS's solution is to have a button and just keep pressing it until you get back to where you started. That's dumbing it down for people and telling their users that they don't think they are smart enough.
    12-30-14 07:24 AM
    Added several more.

Note, I have little to no phono app or msg app or bbm app comments since I do not yet have a carrier sim card installed.
    Is there anything about the Classic that you do like? I'm sure that comes across as snarky but it's a sincere question. Your list of disappointments is quite extensive. Will you keep the phone?

Posted via CB10
    Alain_A, 1ese and gvs1341 like this.
    12-30-14 08:44 AM
    I think it'll take some time to get used to the touch device but some of your complaints may be actual shortcomings if the OS. Hopefully they correct some of those. It'll take time, but after a few months I think you'll find the Bb10 os does more things better than OS7.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 11:49 AM
    Thanx. I didnt know about that.
    12-30-14 12:10 PM
    I think it'll take some time to get used to the touch device but some of your complaints may be actual shortcomings if the OS. Hopefully they correct some of those. It'll take time, but after a few months I think you'll find the Bb10 os does more things better than OS7.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but these "issues" should've been fixed before the release! Some people will get frustrated and go back to the old routes, which we definitely would not want to happen.

#TeamBlackBerry
    12-30-14 03:00 PM
    all depends what is the shortcomings one is talking about
    12-30-14 03:04 PM
    This is the post I'm waiting for.
    Same here

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-30-14 03:15 PM
    By now BlackBerry 10 is more productive than BlackBerry 7 ever was. Not only because of shortcuts (even if there are some missing), but the hardware and software speed are miles ahead of BlackBerry 7. Yeah, I just said that.
    00_Agent and gvs1341 like this.
    12-30-14 04:24 PM
    I appreciated this post - coming from a Bold 9790, I was hoping for a 'Here's what's different to help you make your decision' list. Frankly, this one is more likely to nudge me towards the Classic, because many of the features/apps/shortcuts mentioned aren't ones I currently even use.

To the folks jumping on him for complaining - yes, we need to expect a learning curve. But instead of being critical, why not lend a hand? 'Yes, X shortcut to do Y no longer works. Here's how you do Y now.' To the folks who have done just that, thanks! I'll be bookmarking this thread to come back to for tips if/when I migrate to a Classic myself.

Re: specs: Ironically, it seems to me that a legacy user would be more likely to want cutting-edge specs. Why? Because if they've held onto their device for this long, they're clearly not the type who hops to something new as soon as it becomes available - they're in the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' mindset. So having powerhouse specs would help to future-proof the phone and delay the inevitable jump to the next next device.
    12-31-14 04:34 AM
    Well, on specs: if I remember correctly, almost none of the legacy devices were on cutting-edge specs when they got released. This was always a reason to complain for some (never for me, as long as they did their jobs well). Nonetheless, all of them lasted for many many years, and did their duties, unlike most other contemporary phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:52 AM
    P. S. One more on specs: I remember the time when basically ALL of my workmates had BBs, so literally hundreds, and I don't recall one single conversation on specs. Although the Nokia Symbians and the first iphones were out already. The specs debate began when the Androids and iphones started to become unusable due to lag after a SW upgrade, while the BBs still performed well.
    And nonetheless, 'The Market' decided to move elsewhere.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 08:57 AM
    I'm upgrading from a 9310 Curve.

TL;DR version: This phone is VERY biased towards touch, I was expecting better key, trackpad and shortcut implementation.

Longer version: Here are some things I noticed in my many 2 hours of testing....
    (some stuff I may not of figured out, feel free to correct me)

• Maps has no shortcuts.
    • 'Minimize to Hub then zoom out from Hub to open the requested app' animation is purposeless.
    • Trackpad highlighted item is often not very obvious.
    • Can't simply back key out of many popup menus.
    • OneNote is VERY slow when used in the browser.
    • Unable to simply type in a calendar entry on the highlighted day.
    • Can't open selected link in new tab using trackpad.
    • Only allowed 8 apps open at one time.
    • Unable to simply hit enter then type in data within the note while creating the note.
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    • Enter key does not advance to next entry or finish an entry in several areas.
    • No true minimize of apps or no way to minimize and go directly to 'icon page 1' to quickly launch another app.
    • Caution- found 2 ways that BB closes an app and will not prompt you to save and you lose data.
    • Can't open submenus by trackpading left or right.
    • Can't auto spell correct words while still at the end of the word.
    • T shortcut in calendar does not select and highlight today.
    • Can't open bookmarks with K shortcut in initially opened tab page.
    • Can't do the berry key hold 'alt-tab' like feature to go directly back to the last used app.
    • Live tiles shows the clock instead of the timer that is running.
    • In title of notes, can't shift select whole line with trackpad up/down motion.
    • On screen paste square keeps popping up even though I've already pasted.
    • Must hold shift to page up.
    • At times, cursor gets stuck at bottom of web pages.
    • Scrolling down with trackpad on web pages is slowed down compared to cursor movement inside screen area.
    • Lack of shortcuts in 3rd party Blackberry apps (this is to be expected in Android apps).
    • Can't search within System Settings.
    • Negative symbol with physical keypad not working in calculator.
    • I have experienced many, many moments of what I would call unacceptable lag - specs do matter it seems.
    • Must swipe, press tiny envelope on home screen or trackpad left to Hub if you wish to resume exactly what you were doing in the Hub.
    • No setting to remove totally redundant menu bar at bottom of most main apps.
    • Can't just press enter key after searching in Contacts.
    • Same in Compose, can't press enter to select highlighted account.
    • No save prompt when backing out of a new Instant Actions or calendar edit.
    • Unread shortcut in Hub goes firstly to newest unread, not oldest.
    • Can't spacebar page down/up in some System Settings menus.
    • Hotspot login pages do not allow trackpad copy/paste using menu berry button.

added 3 more from user mdrejhon - Thank you!!
    • Can't just directly type appointments into Calendar
    • Goofy lag when scrolling up/down very fast in "Month" view in Calendar via trackpad
    • Can't "rolodex" through the days via Shift/Alt trackpad horizontally

more added 12/24/14
    • Help files are not totally locally stored in the phone, no wifi=no help.
    • No zoom on photos with trackpad, io does work though.
    • Some sort of paste bug happens every so often where V key is stuck pasting all the time.
    • The blackberry assistant shortcut does not launch BA until you let go of the microphone key.
    • Vocal dictation can be done in most apps. Nice!
    • No shortcut to launch task and notes separately.
    • Tasks show up in active frame if it has a due date.
    • One can pinch/zoom inside the calendar to see more events.
    • Long press of Berry key often opens Settings and Help.
    • Must have note open for body of its contents to be shared, not just the title.
    • Secondary 'More' menu used within first menu instead of simply scrolling through the menu.
    • Enter key deletes browser history instead of opening it to view it. Was a glitch of some sort. Gone after reboot.

more added 12/28/14
    • Many mail shortcuts missing.
    • Can't simply start typing to search Tags when in Tags.
    • Can't change year easily in a calendar event, must use GoToDate.
    • Pasting a 3 page doc within Docs to Go with trackpad has major lag scrolling until you save the file and reopen it.
    • What purpose does the single letter index serve in Notes, it clutters up the list.
    • Can select multiple note in a folder at one time but can't move them.
    • Can't use enter key to open a highlighted selected note in a note search.
    • Can't set a shortcut to create new calendar event.
    • Can't shift del a line up from below to the line you are in.
    • Have to go all the way into properties to rename pictures in Pictures.
    • Can't switch between tasks and notes with the enter key.
    • Cant hit first letter of sub menu items to select them quickly.
    • BB Assistant email create will not allow enter key to move from To to Cc.
    • Can't page down with space on home page.
    • Can't use enter key in Phone to start the call
    • Can't use enter key to select a contact within contacts.
    • Custom snooze range poor, jumps from 30 min. to a day.
    • No camera shortcuts at all?
    • Camera takes a while to focus or has a hard time focusing.
    • Zip code field in contact is doesn't automatically set to numbers.
    • From Home, Blackberry Assistant shortcut does not launch until you let go of the microphone keyboard key.
    • Date not normally shown on Home screen, only time is.

more added 12/30/14
    • Maps tip: quick dbl tap with single finger to zoom in on that spot, and single tap with 2 fingers to zoom out.
    • Opening Calendar event from Hub ignores dark theme that is set inside the Calendar.
    • Finding Maps is very finicky on how searches are worded.
    • Sharing text from web page to Remember creates a Task instead of a Note.
    • Long press of Berry/menu key does nothing when in Hub?
    • When pressing back button from just opening an attachment or link, you don't return to the Hub msg you were just in.
    • Can't use a berry sub menu keyboard shortcut letter unless it is visible; ergo MUST More over to proper sub menu then key shortcut letter will work.

I'm not seeing the UPGRADED in efficiency except for overall hardware.
    Though I don't use many of these features, but from the way you're explaining you seem to be a hard core BlackBerry user, and these devices are created for you!

You should post this in BlackBerry forums nor CB forums in hopes such a detailed list grabs someone's attention!

Well done!

Passport Powered
    nah.uhh and Soul_Est like this.
    12-31-14 09:16 AM
    Seriously don't, Just don't.
    12-31-14 09:28 AM
    J

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 12:35 PM
    =

Posted via CB10
    12-31-14 12:36 PM
    I appreciated this post - coming from a Bold 9790, I was hoping for a 'Here's what's different to help you make your decision' list. Frankly, this one is more likely to nudge me towards the Classic, because many of the features/apps/shortcuts mentioned aren't ones I currently even use.

To the folks jumping on him for complaining - yes, we need to expect a learning curve. But instead of being critical, why not lend a hand? 'Yes, X shortcut to do Y no longer works. Here's how you do Y now.' To the folks who have done just that, thanks! I'll be bookmarking this thread to come back to for tips if/when I migrate to a Classic myself.

Re: specs: Ironically, it seems to me that a legacy user would be more likely to want cutting-edge specs. Why? Because if they've held onto their device for this long, they're clearly not the type who hops to something new as soon as it becomes available - they're in the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' mindset. So having powerhouse specs would help to future-proof the phone and delay the inevitable jump to the next next device.
    When I jumped to OS10, I was not expecting an OS7 experience. To be honest, my Bold had so many shortcuts that I could not remember or use. Same with my Q10. So, I will accept my Classic as it is and learn the ways that is unique to the Classic experience.

Just like someone moving to a different platform should not expect a similar experience. Open mindedness might make the transition smoother.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    01-01-15 11:43 AM
    Another edit, probably my last. See OP.
    01-01-15 01:19 PM
    There is a shortcut to separately create a new note or new task...

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 02:17 PM
    Really agree for that, BlackBerry didn't support trackpad perfectly on their own apps !!

BBM is horrible with trackpad!!!
    - if you make font size either 6 or 8, will show the same messages with un-used space
    - navigation through chat should be as a pointer through text messages( like BBOS) so we can select/choose/browse links/ enter #hashtaq easily

Here is a screenshot of BBM chat with font size (5)

Classic not exactly what I expected coming from Curve-img_20150104_001806.png

Posted via CB10
    anon(870071) likes this.
    01-03-15 03:19 PM
137 ... 23456