Thank you op, I'm happy with my upgrade (went from curve to a 9900) and going to buy a note 4 that way I'll have the best of two worlds. I've said it before and I'll say it again bb10 is too complicated and the focus on gestures has been a mistake. Having a trackpad and not being able to make a custom selection is a downer did you try out macros that's one of the reasons why os7 had been so efficient ?

There is a reason why android is using buttons for navigation.. Also I'm sick of hearing about how old os7 is the op gave an honest review and people area flaming him for that? Seriously the bb10 diehards still seem to have hard time accepting that efficiency beats content consumption.

To further use the car analogy.
    Ford decided to ditch the touch screen for real buttons because it's better and more precise so new doesn't always mean better.

Or to use OS: XP versus Windows 8 XP may have been older but it's still miles ahead of 8
    12-21-14 04:00 AM
    • Many keyboard tricks are absent while editing text ex. Alt+ left/right trackpad, Alt+trackpad in, etc
    What? you can't highlight text and copy it?... really?! is it all touchscreen based(to highlight and copy txt) like the Q10? if so then no thanks!
    12-21-14 04:22 AM
    If you want every single BBOS function, you might as well stay with the old Curves and Bolds. BB10 is a totally different OS, and as a whole the best OS out there (IMO). When I now pick up and play with an old Curve or Bold, it feels so outdated and primitive (and, I am not talking about hardware!). The first thought that goes through my mind is how glad I am that BB10 came along! BB10 is a great touch OS, and the trackpad/toolbelt should just fill its precision gaps, nothing more. I really don't want my phone to have a dual personality!
    12-21-14 04:25 AM
    I disagree here. Apple is a very easy OS to use. IOS is very simple to understand; my godchildren picked it up in minutes. I'm pretty sure that's partially why people choose Apple because it's no fuss and easy to learn. I think a long time BlackBerry fan would be frustrated by the lack of business-oriented developments. They would probably feel like their needs weren't considered, but the Apple OS isn't difficult at all.

As for the OP, it's a new OS. The Classic is bound to be not what you expected.
    You know what's really funny about this is that to old people BlackBerry 10 is "not simple".. I have a Nephew of barely 2 YEARS old and he move around the phone like it's nothing! Even better than her grandmother, the owner of the phone. He YouTube a lot, play games and browse around for games and download them using SNAP! Imagine all the steps before downloading on snap, he takes pictures, listen to music etc all on 10.3.1 and I wonder to myself where does BB10 really becomes LESS complicated?..

#TeamBlackBerry
    12-21-14 06:23 AM
    What? you can't highlight text and copy it?... really?! is it all touchscreen based(to highlight and copy txt) like the Q10? if so then no thanks!
    Both works or course.
    You can select, cut/copy/paste text by either touchscreen gestures or by use of shift+trackpad, menu key etc. Or you can use a combination if you want, eg select text with shift+trackpad, then cut and paste with touch. Or vice versa.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:31 AM
    I believe the OP is ...
    Why the bold type all the time? It makes your posts very harsh on the eyes.

Posted via CB10
    gnirkatto likes this.
    12-21-14 06:49 AM
    Why the bold type all the time? It makes your posts very harsh on the eyes.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure why y'all can't manage a PM for such questions.

For your answer, read here.
    12-21-14 07:05 AM
    Not sure why y'all can't manage a PM for such questions.

For your answer, read here.
    Sorry, Using CrackBerry app. Wish it supported PM's. Also, I didn't find your answer in that link, but feel free to PM me your explanation. :-)

Posted via CB10
    eldrover likes this.
    12-21-14 09:18 AM
    I believe the OP is expressing what concerned me. BlackBerry added a toolbelt to BB10, and tried to sell it as a new BBOS phone, but never developed shortcut keys for the Q line, and now have the top row added with limited abilities. I'm surprised the OP didn't mention missing BIS too. For those who already tasted BB10 and ran back, this is lipstick on a pig. For those who are moving from BBOS for the first time, expecting a fully functioning toolbelt, this has to be a WTF moment for most.

I love BB10, and wouldn't go back for nuttin'. Heck, I never thought I could give up keys or belt, and don't miss either. That's why I expected these threads. I have a long list of things I miss from BBOS. Some have been addressed as the OS has advanced, but even on 10.3.1, there are many things I find were superior on BBOS. For BlackBerry to win the hearts of those who haven't moved forward, or moved on to something else, they need to make the Classic truly classic in a sense.

To make a car analogy, it's like buying the new Corolla, when you were used to the previous model, and now the steering wheel and shifter have half the capabilities. Sure, there's lots of new features beyond that, but if two big features you bought it for disappoint, what is the point?
    Or, just give up on the idea to make those legacy users happy by making BlackBerry 10 more like BlackBerry 7, move on to make BlackBerry 10 truly amazing... like fully optimize the camera firmware, make Android runtime better, somehow add Google Services, improve BlackBerry Map software, keeps up Hardware performance, Speed up IoT development, etc etc.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1151
    12-21-14 09:27 AM
    Thank you op, I'm happy with my upgrade (went from curve to a 9900) and going to buy a note 4 that way I'll have the best of two worlds. I've said it before and I'll say it again bb10 is too complicated and the focus on gestures has been a mistake. Having a trackpad and not being able to make a custom selection is a downer did you try out macros that's one of the reasons why os7 had been so efficient ?

There is a reason why android is using buttons for navigation.. Also I'm sick of hearing about how old os7 is the op gave an honest review and people area flaming him for that? Seriously the bb10 diehards still seem to have hard time accepting that efficiency beats content consumption.

To further use the car analogy.
    Ford decided to ditch the touch screen for real buttons because it's better and more precise so new doesn't always mean better.

Or to use OS: XP versus Windows 8 XP may have been older but it's still miles ahead of 8
    From users point of view, you are right that you should use whatever works for you. From BlackBerry point of view, the investment to make BlackBerry 10 looks like BlackBerry OS 7 may never get enough return to justify it.

BlackBerry made Classic because they believe the return will justify the investment... but first of all, they underestimated the effort level it required to release Classic, that's why Classic and 10.3.1 as released later than they expected, it was supposed to be November initially ... and from the reaction of this thread you may even get the impression that the released Classic may be half baked for these users, more investment is required to reach the goal BlackBerry set for themselves initially, which is to please legacy users who can't adapt to BlackBerry 10 as it was.... and for the users like me who came from legacy but adapted to BlackBerry 10 successfully, Classic is a completely waste of resource and slows BlackBerry down as a corporation to march forward.

I am sure the crowd Mr. Chen hangout with... executives who usually are over 50... the specs don't matter crowd... would love to see BlackBerry come up with some super fluid 9900 successors that no extra learning is required. I hope that crowd is happy with Classic because they are the decision makers and budget funders for corporations. I hope this niche of the niche is big enough to provide the return to justify the growing investment. And I hope this won't become a resource hog that impacts BlackBerry 's soon to be released IoT roadmap and make BlackBerry a "soon" "around the corner" company again.

jem9777 likes this.
    12-21-14 10:00 AM
    From users point of view, you are right that you should use whatever works for you. From BlackBerry point of view, the investment to make BlackBerry 10 looks like BlackBerry OS 7 may never get enough return to justify it.

BlackBerry made Classic because they believe the return will justify the investment... but first of all, they underestimated the effort level it required to release Classic, that's why Classic and 10.3.1 as released later than they expected, it was supposed to be November initially ... and from the reaction of this thread you may even get the impression that the released Classic may be half baked for these users, more investment is required to reach the goal BlackBerry set for themselves initially, which is to please legacy users who can't adapt to BlackBerry 10 as it was.... and for the users like me who came from legacy but adapted to BlackBerry 10 successfully, Classic is a completely waste of resource and slows BlackBerry down as a corporation to march forward.

I am sure the crowd Mr. Chen hangout with... executives who usually are over 50... the specs don't matter crowd... would love to see BlackBerry come up with some super fluid 9900 successors that no extra learning is required. I hope that crowd is happy with Classic because they are the decision makers and budget funders for corporations. I hope this niche of the niche is big enough to provide the return to justify the growing investment. And I hope this won't become a resource hog that impacts BlackBerry 's soon to be released IoT roadmap and make BlackBerry a "soon" "around the corner" company again.

The Classic has drum up a lot of interest in users who thought BlackBerry was dead. Speaking for myself, I moved away from BB for a while and have been (mostly) enjoying Apple and the Classic is what brought me back. Believe it or not, but it's refreshing for people who love pkb to see that BlackBerry is still at it and they actually listen to their customers, for better or worse.

If there are some legacy OS users who assumed that there wouldn't be a learning curve for any new OS, then the fault is on them for being unhappy with their choice. That's an unreasonable expectation to have imo.

If some legacy OS users cannot adapt to BB10, then they can find solutions that work best for them even though the Classic is catered to them because it's what they were asking for...
    12-21-14 10:08 AM
    The Classic has drum up a lot of interest in users who thought BlackBerry was dead. Speaking for myself, I moved away from BB for a while and have been (mostly) enjoying Apple and the Classic is what brought me back. Believe it or not, but it's refreshing for people who love pkb to see that BlackBerry is still at it and they actually listen to their customers, for better or worse.

If there are some legacy OS users who assumed that there wouldn't be a learning curve for any new OS, then the fault is on them for being unhappy with their choice. That's an unreasonable expectation to have imo.

If some legacy OS users cannot adapt to BB10, then they can find solutions that work best for them even though the Classic is catered to them because it's what they were asking for...
    Have you looked at Passport?

12-21-14 10:41 AM
    Have you looked at Passport?

Yes. I passed on it because it isn't necessary for my daily use. This is what some don't understand about the spec war. You have to put the specs into context. A phone could have the "highest" and latest specs, however that doesn't mean that it's best for every user.

For my uses, I don't see the point in paying almost $700 for a phone that I'll be browsing, texting and talking on when I can do the same for $200 with a form factor I enjoy. This is part of the reason I sold my iphone 6: $650 for a phone that didn't improve my usage whatsoever didn't make sense to me.

And just a general observation - now this isn't directed towards you - but I find it interesting that in comparing a BB10 phone to a Samsung (notorious for pushing specs), BB fans here will site that specs don't matter but with the Classic vs Passport debate that logic goes out the window.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    12-21-14 10:48 AM
    Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:50 AM
    Yes. I passed on it because it isn't necessary for my daily use. This is what some don't understand about the spec war. You have to put it into context. A phone could have the "highest" and greatest specs, that doesn't mean that it's best for every user.
    Agreed. Specs are everything is the other extreme of specs don't matter. Cost, form factor, OS, apps, feature sets, etc., are all parts of equation.

ponpiri likes this.
    12-21-14 10:57 AM
    And just a general observation - now this isn't directed towards you - but I find it interesting that in comparing a BB10 phone to a Samsung (notorious for pushing specs), BB fans here will site that specs don't matter but with the Classic vs Passport debate that logic goes out the window.
    For BB10 vs Samsung, OS differences make specs matter less. SW efficiency could make inferior hardware perform better.

For BB10 vs BB10, SW efficiencies are pretty much the same, hardware specs become a bigger factor than the scenario above. But as you pointed out, specs are still not the only factor in choosing devices.

Also, many people here consider CPU specs as the only specs we talked about. That's not true neither. Any measurable parameters can be specs, such as battery life, dimensions, weights, screen resolution, connectivity interface specs, physical keyboard or not, etc. Those are all parts of a device's specs. In too many times I can tell people debate about specs without even understanding what exactly specs are.

12-21-14 11:19 AM
    Sadly my list has grown since my first post. (will post more later)

This OS/apps needs quite a bit of fixing for efficient, productive tool belt usage. I'm finding it very lacking. Debating if I will keep this phone or not.
    Dude you are holding thus phone to an impossible standard. The phone cannot be OS7 because os 7 was a mature platform that did some things very well after years of development. You are on OS 10 which is relatively new and designed for modern app usage.

BlackBerry has tried to write some code to make the tool belt effective for native apps but as a whole, the phone cannot be OS7 and never will be.

If you are contemplating leaving to go back to the bold or whatever, remember that you are just delaying the inevitable. Their will not be more than 1 more year of support for that product.

Give BB10 a chance. 99% of smartphone users have gotten used to something other than BlackBerry's OS7. I'm sure you can too.

Posted via CB10
    chalx and Alexandre Biron like this.
    12-21-14 12:10 PM
    FWIW I am more efficient on my Passport then any of my Legacy devices. I type just as fast, navigate the OS just as quickly or faster once you memorize the gestures and tricks, the phone itself does everything faster from opening the browser to loading HTML intensive emails and folders, and my battery life is similar. When I get home, I just sit at my computer and it auto-connects to Blend so I can respond to posts, emails, BBMs, and Texts right from my computer and not even have to take it out of my pocket. To top all the productivity off, as a bonus I can now also use all the "popular" social apps that friends and colleagues use, and even play a few games on my down time .

Give a Bold to a long time Android user and they will be more efficient on their Android then the BBOS device for quite some time as well. They will complain why they have to scroll to an app icon and click it, or program and memorize a macro, instead of just touching its picture. Why can't they just have a page full of apps on their main home screen instead of a bar or L of folders to scroll through? It's all relative

It takes a lot of time to learn and adapt to all the tricks and nuances of a new phone and OS. I can promise you that you were not as quick and efficient with your BB7 device during your first month as you are now .
    Xenolock, BigBadWulf and gvs1341 like this.
    12-21-14 09:36 PM
    Updated OP list.
    12-22-14 08:41 AM
    How do u get your posts in that bold text. That is one of the biggest things that I miss from BlackBerry OS. Is there anyway for me to set my system font as bold?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 09:58 AM
    I believe the OP is expressing what concerned me. BlackBerry added a toolbelt to BB10, and tried to sell it as a new BBOS phone, but never developed shortcut keys for the Q line, and now have the top row added with limited abilities. I'm surprised the OP didn't mention missing BIS too. For those who already tasted BB10 and ran back, this is lipstick on a pig. For those who are moving from BBOS for the first time, expecting a fully functioning toolbelt, this has to be a WTF moment for most.

I love BB10, and wouldn't go back for nuttin'. Heck, I never thought I could give up keys or belt, and don't miss either. That's why I expected these threads. I have a long list of things I miss from BBOS. Some have been addressed as the OS has advanced, but even on 10.3.1, there are many things I find were superior on BBOS. For BlackBerry to win the hearts of those who haven't moved forward, or moved on to something else, they need to make the Classic truly classic in a sense.

To make a car analogy, it's like buying the new Corolla, when you were used to the previous model, and now the steering wheel and shifter have half the capabilities. Sure, there's lots of new features beyond that, but if two big features you bought it for disappoint, what is the point?
    Looking for the ability to change my system font to bold. Is there a way to do that on the Classic. Could do it with BlackBerry OS. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:01 AM
    Looking for the ability to change my system font to bold. Is there a way to do that on the Classic. Could do it with BlackBerry OS. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    No, no bold any where in settings that I can see. There is an accessibility magnification feature that works well but doubt that's what you are truly wanting.
    p51 likes this.
    12-22-14 10:34 AM
    No, no bold any where in settings that I can see. There is an accessibility magnification feature that works well but doubt that's what you are truly wanting.
    Thanks for the reply. I keep hoping that they put that feature back in.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 05:17 PM

[B][COLOR=#000066]I believe the OP is expressing what concerned me. BlackBerry added a toolbelt to BB10, and tried to sell it as a new BBOS phone, but never developed shortcut keys for the Q line, and now have the top row added with limited abilities.
    They can throw us a few bones in an OS update -- and solve a lot of the "easy fix" issues.

I think BlackBerry will do a bunch of things to make the Calendar much more efficient -- currently Calendar is pretty crap on BB10. Calendar is a very important BlackBerry app to me, and the ability to:

• Just directly type appontments into Calendar (Bold does this, Classic can't)
    • Scroll up/down very fast in "Month" view in Calendar via trackpad (Classic has a weird behavior on this)
    • Easily "rolodex" through the days via Shift/Alt trackpad horizontally (Bold can do this, Classic can't)

With Exchange and BES integration, it's really great and efficient way to quickly schedule appointments really quickly. But right now, the "Calendar" app on the Classic is Crap with keyboards.

But I'm very pleased with the Classic overall; I'm expecting BlackBerry Inc. to fix the Calendar app. These are easy low-lying-apple bug fixes. Make us happy!
    12-23-14 06:14 PM
    I think it's important to highlight the things you were expecting - as others may be expecting them as well. It is equally important to see if the alternative way of performing the same action is a better way of accomplishing the same thing. If it is not, then there is room for improvement that will hopefully be addressed in future software releases.

Given your *expertise* power usage in BBOS7, ever considered being a test user for future Classic products? All talent has some use - in one form or another.
    12-23-14 07:32 PM
137 12345 ...