This was on the PassPort Forum:

People have different priorities. For most BB10 users it is hard to understand why I keep saying BB10 is not what the BBOS is. It is "almost" there maybe by next year it will come to fold.
    I read this thread but this guy is a troll & he refuses to look at new things. All he wants is to rant & tell everyone how he hates the Passport.

He refused to acknowledge ready solutions for what he is asking for. So just ignore this guy.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:40 AM
    yes, I used it also. Don't think "Blend" or BB10 has it yet.
    Group contact is already in BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:41 AM
    I am actually glad that BB10 is not what BBOS was! Regardless of what's missing in BB10, overall I find it superior to BBOS in many ways. BB10 is why I am back with BlackBerry and keep buying their phones again!

Posted via CB10
    Well, nobody is saying they want all of the bad things back, they are mainly talking about the features. While I agree that BB10 is overall a better experience, it could only help it if it also had BBOS's features. The combination of BBOS communications features and BB10's slick interface and speed would make for a pretty powerful tool. 10.3.1 brings us ever so much closer to having that, there are a few more features I would like to see added that would make it the ultimate phone OS, but we'll see if they ever add those things...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    idssteve and Frehley like this.
    10-12-14 10:12 AM
    The most important thing is that BBOS 7 requires BIS or BES to work. This means maintaining a network for these phones to work. As time goes on & more BBOS users migrate to other OS or to BlackBerry 10 then BlackBerry will be loosing money to maintain this worldwide network for a few users.

Posted via CB10
    Last i heard BIS is still revenue positive for them but that was about a week ago... has this changed?
    10-12-14 10:19 AM
    Well, nobody is saying they want all of the bad things back, they are mainly talking about the features. While I agree that BB10 is overall a better experience, it could only help it if it also had BBOS's features. The combination of BBOS communications features and BB10's slick interface and speed would make for a pretty powerful tool. 10.3.1 brings us ever so much closer to having that, there are a few more features I would like to see added that would make it the ultimate phone OS, but we'll see if they ever add those things...
    No objection to wanting features that would improve the BB10 experience. I totally agree with you and fully support that concept. But, some people talk about the old BBOS like it still is the greatest thing out there!

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 10:55 AM
    Last i heard BIS is still revenue positive for them but that was about a week ago... has this changed?
    Well I don't know if this has changed over the course of 1 week but what I'm saying is that BIS days are numbered coz there will be more & more people leaving BBOS 7 for Android, iOS, Windows & BlackBerry 10. Si when this happens it will no longer be commercially viable for BlackBerry to maintain the network.

That is why we have to move on. Not stubbornly insists on staying on BBOS. So what BlackBerry is currently doing is to convince as many BBOS current users as possible to switch to BlackBerry 10. Otherwise when it is no longer viable to maintain the BIS these people might just move on to Android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 02:22 PM
    Well I don't know if this has changed over the course of 1 week but what I'm saying is that BIS days are numbered coz there will be more & more people leaving BBOS 7 for Android, iOS, Windows & BlackBerry 10. Si when this happens it will no longer be commercially viable for BlackBerry to maintain the network.

That is why we have to move on. Not stubbornly insists on staying on BBOS. So what BlackBerry is currently doing is to convince as many BBOS current users as possible to switch to BlackBerry 10. Otherwise when it is no longer viable to maintain the BIS these people might just move on to Android or iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, BIS days are numbered but it's still pretty high margin revenue for BBRY while it lasts. I'd expect Chen wouldn't want to shut it all off, and loose that revenue, Dec 31, 2014, for example. Never know, i guess, but a managed migration makes most sense from my armchair...
    10-12-14 02:35 PM
    Lmao are you for real?! You can't be for real!

I owned a Bold 9900. It was an amazing and beautiful phone. But it is nowhere as powerful as my Q10.

What is wrong with expanding the phone's height (or length, whatever) and just putting a track belt under the Q10's screen? The Q10 is already a powerful phone as it is, with a well optimised and resource-friendly OS.

You remember BBOS and the memory leaks? How about the JVM Error? How about needing to go to the Host Routing Table and "registering"? (BB10 depends less on the NOC) How about requiring service books just to use the BlackBerry Browser, or instant messaging other than BBM, or even just SENDING MMS?! How about forgetting your carrier.blackberry.net login and losing your device, deeming you unable to regain your settings including your @carrier.blackberry.net email setup? How about being required to carry a different device other than your personal phone because one is on BES?

Ugh. I can't.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    My learning curve on the 9900 was longer than on the iPhone. At the time I switched I answered over 200 emails/day with 10 email accounts for my business. Moving to the 9900 saved me 60-75% answering emails. Yes, there is battery problems and that is why some people want removable batteries. I carry 2 spare batteries, have a cradle and 4 other chargers. This said pulling a battery is minor compared to what the phone saves me in time and efficiency.

Define "powerful" There is no way you can type on your Q10 as fast as I can on the 9900. Powerful to me means fast and efficient for emails and texting not browsing on the internet.

I'll repeat what I have been saying all along, the BB10 is only "now" featuring the some of the BBOS. 2-3 year later?

You are also missing the point of my posting. I am expressing my view from manufacturer's point and not as a consumer.

Mr4Aces: Just think if JC would have asked a BBOS employee instead of a BB10 bozo, we would have had the retro 9900 out in 3 months running on BBOS8.
    This meaning a 9900 successor could have been out on the market by last spring. The problem JC had was he was miss informed by the prior executives and RIM/ML staff. I'm also saying that the 9900 is a phone that could live forever with very little cost to BlackBerry. I'm not saying it is better than the other BB phones. I'm saying the 9900 is the fastest typing phone with the ergonomic keyboard.

You have no idea how OS7 works on the 9900 for social media otherwise you not be making the comment about BBM and messaging.
    I have had up to 20 Twitter accounts and 4 BBM Channels. (They are no longer active)

I read this thread but this guy is a troll & he refuses to look at new things. All he wants is to rant & tell everyone how he hates the Passport.

He refused to acknowledge ready solutions for what he is asking for. So just ignore this guy.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4Aces: You are also missing the point of my posting. I am expressing my view from manufacturer's point and not as a consumer.
    So before you call me a troll better research who you are call one.

In regards to the PassPort, I have only said that device is to big for me. Nothing about how it functions.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 10-12-14 at 04:45 PM.
    Frehley likes this.
    10-12-14 04:34 PM
    My learning curve on the 9900 was longer than on the iPhone. At the time I switched I answered over 200 emails/day with 10 email accounts for my business. Moving to the 9900 saved me 60-75% answering emails. Yes, there is battery problems and that is why some people want removable batteries. I carry 2 spare batteries, have a cradle and 4 other chargers. This said pulling a battery is minor compared to what the phone saves me in time and efficiency.

Define "powerful" There is no way you can type on your Q10 as fast as I can on the 9900. Powerful to me means fast and efficient for emails and texting not browsing on the internet.

I'll repeat what I have been saying all along, the BB10 is only "now" featuring the some of the BBOS. 2-3 year later?

You are also missing the point of my posting. I am expressing my view from manufacturer's point and not as a consumer.

This meaning a 9900 successor could have been out on the market by last spring. The problem JC had was he was miss informed by the prior executives and RIM/ML staff. I'm also saying that the 9900 is a phone that could live forever with very little cost to BlackBerry. I'm not saying it is better than the other BB phones. I'm saying the 9900 is the fastest typing phone with the ergonomic keyboard.

You have no idea how OS7 works on the 9900 for social media otherwise you not be making the comment about BBM and messaging.
    I have had up to 20 Twitter accounts and 4 BBM Channels. (They are no longer active)

So before you call me a troll better research who you are call one.

In regards to the PassPort, I have only said that device is to big for me. Nothing about how it functions.
    Powerful in terms of processor speed--multi-core I might add, and RAM. Can you run apps on OS 7 at the level that the Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3 and Passport can? Multiple active frames open that don't close without you force closing? I owned a Bold 9900. I owned two, as a matter of fact! I know Wtf I'm talking about. I've seen both struggle, requiring a battery pull or alt-shift-del. It's a limitation of the java-based OS. I'm not so sure you know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. As well, I can assure you that the Q10 has an ergonomic keyboard that surpasses that of the slightly curve-formed keyboard on the Bold 9900. It is designed well, with the bezels forming enough space between each row so as to avoid any accidental presses, whilst having each key curved so as to allow you to feel what you're typing real time. Again, I owned two Bold 9900. I kept the two Bold 9900 when I got the Z10, but sold all three devices when I got this Q10. There was no longer any need for it.

Also, I'm a researcher. I type on this Q10 a crazy amount daily. Emails to faculty, my research partners, group texts, personal texts and BBM, accessing encrypted databases through the VPN, remoting to my desktop, creating and editing Word and Excel docs and spreadsheets prior to publication, and a whole lot more. Don't think that your 10 emails and your 200 emails/day can surpass what I put my Q10's keys through on less than half a day. And that's with only 5 email accounts, 3 of which are my personal ones.

Can you setup EAS on your BIS? No. You get some bull**** OWA setup that takes more than 3 minutes to pull email, when Outlook email was designed to push out email.

Just shut up and buy an iPhone. Maybe go use Ryan Seacrest's keyboard or some ****. Stop with your rubbish and go to iMore and talk smack about BlackBerry while praising your bigger iPhone 6 plus. Your situation isn't going anywhere as you're not a priority. Stop thinking your opinions represent everyone else's and that you can somehow manage BlackBerry better than those who actually run the company. You're not John Chen. Otherwise, be content with the direction BB10 is going and appreciate it for what it is.

Norg likes this.
    10-13-14 05:16 AM

Just shut up and buy an iPhone.

Sorry but you lost me there. You made at least a few arguably rational points till there. Do you think BB has all the customers they need? Telling legacy users to "shut up and like it or leave" is precisely part of what happened to BB. The OP acquiesced in post #93 and BBOS derangement syndrome haters continued to dig up previous posts to beat on him about. If this thread is inappropriate i trust the mods will shut it down or move it. Have new forum rules been implemented where BBOS is fair game for any and all blame but that defending BBOS is not allowed?

I, and others, sympathize with some of the OP's positions but i also sympathize with some of your positions. I can find justice in moving this thread to other venues but advising a fellow BlackBerry user to buy an iPhone is a poor way to debate issues. IMO.

This is a Q20 forum and the Q20 "Classic" is what it will be, at this point. It's time we ALL turn toward supporting Q20 users with their chosen device. A GOOD choice, IMO.
    rthonpm likes this.
    10-13-14 08:59 AM
    That's like saying that Microsoft should have fixed windows 9x or windows mobile and apple should have fixed mac os or newton os instead of moving on to windows nt and os x architectures.

If the architecture isn't there it just isn't there and you have to move on as bbos was originally designed for pagers and they got all they could out of it.
    Not exactly. Microsoft is a good case in point. They managed to move their user base along with Windows upgrades. Even in the jump to the NT kernel as the mainstream OS (XP) they managed to maintain all the backwards facing conventions pretty much and even a lot of the backwards compatibility.

They in effect redesigned the plumbing of windows along the way while keeping the UI very familiar to the users.

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    10-14-14 12:31 AM
    Sorry but you lost me there. You made at least a few arguably rational points till there. Do you think BB has all the customers they need? Telling legacy users to "shut up and like it or leave" is precisely part of what happened to BB. The OP acquiesced in post #93 and BBOS derangement syndrome haters continued to dig up previous posts to beat on him about. If this thread is inappropriate i trust the mods will shut it down or move it. Have new forum rules been implemented where BBOS is fair game for any and all blame but that defending BBOS is not allowed?

I, and others, sympathize with some of the OP's positions but i also sympathize with some of your positions. I can find justice in moving this thread to other venues but advising a fellow BlackBerry user to buy an iPhone is a poor way to debate issues. IMO.

This is a Q20 forum and the Q20 "Classic" is what it will be, at this point. It's time we ALL turn toward supporting Q20 users with their chosen device. A GOOD choice, IMO.
    You may be right that I shouldn't be telling people to buy an iPhone. I just wanted to disrespect him for having disrespected me in one of his replies. I find reciprocity to be key in maintaining integrity in CrackBerry forums. Haha

10-15-14 04:22 AM
    No! Its a Q5 with a Tool belt.

Posted via Q10Bold
    10-15-14 04:23 AM
    yes, I used it also. Don't think "Blend" or BB10 has it yet.
    Me Three, terribly missed...new Contact Groups doesn't sync with Outlook EAS, its too bad my business laptop no longer syncs with my "business" phone as well as it once did!!

Posted on CB10 via my kick@ss Q10
    Last edited by Norg; 10-26-14 at 12:48 AM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-15-14 10:43 PM
    Group contact is already in BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but it no longer syncs with Outlook EAS.

Posted on CB10 via my Snappy Z10
    10-15-14 11:01 PM
    I think the Classic is classic. By your standards any phone called a classic should be a brick with a long antenna.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 10-16-14 at 08:38 AM.
    10-15-14 11:24 PM
    "Dinner" is not "dinner", it's food on a plate that I eat.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 02:49 PM
    [WARN]Ok guys, cool it with the personal shots. Remember, discuss the post, not the poster.[/WARN]
    10-16-14 11:41 PM
    Haven't we all learned yet that naming schemes are marketing tools? It's designed to evoke a response from the potential buyers, and the BlackBerry Classic is supposed to make you think of BB7 devices. That's all "Classic" means and represents. A nostalgic marketing ploy.
    10-19-14 09:32 AM
    Haven't we all learned yet that naming schemes are marketing tools? It's designed to evoke a response from the potential buyers, and the BlackBerry Classic is supposed to make you think of BB7 devices. That's all "Classic" means and represents. A nostalgic marketing ploy.
    It could have just been called a Bold then. We have had many variations of it thus far... I agree with you tho. I would have been happy with the 9930 ramped up with touch screen and BB10. I like physical form factor better than the Q10 and I think will like it's size better than the Classic. The keypad is where these phones excel. I'm a heavy emailer and need super long battery life for travel. I really don't use it for Internet often. If you need that go to a full flat screen model.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 11:43 AM
    Wow you guys complain so much

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 03:30 PM
    Haha well actually I don't hate BBOS. I like BBOS! I've had it since the 8700 all the way to Bold 9900! I loved OS 7.1! I hated the battery life on the Bold 9900--I occasionally had to do a "battery pull" NOT for a reset but for a battery swap, but "4G" with the efficient handling of the NOC basically made it the most data efficient device that can actually be livable ever!

I was just making the point that there were annoyances in BBOS that don't exist in BB10. There really are many things the Java-based OS can't achieve without being antiquated.

The toolbelt is a feature I will miss. That BlackBerry button replaces any need for me to smudge my screen. Haha I did hate the trackpad though. I think I'm more of a click-wheel kind of guy. Haha remember how you had to hold alt when you wanted to scroll left to right? It was cool. Haha and although I am annoyed by the HRT and service book provisioning stuff that most other devices don't have to worry about, BIS was the best and handling email! And if the personal email is Gmail or Outlook.com/(then "Windows Live"), then calendar and contacts synchronisation was great too! And I LOVED the shortcuts on the main screen when you turn off "Dial from Home Screen"!!! I still sometimes accidentally press N to try and open the browser, L to open the calendar app, C for contacts, etc.

But, come on, BlackBerry Attachment Service might be efficient with data usage, but it was annoying having to re-download something that is already being previewed. And if you got that, or really any entry, deleted from your service books menu by accident, you'll need to re-send service books on BIS! As well, no one needs to have the all unique and special "BlackBerry Internet Service" plan with BB10, which most prepaid carriers and T-Mobile won't offer. It costs them more to rent the licences! Also, BlackBerry Hub is beast!!! Yes, pressing M will give you the universal message list similar to BlackBerry Hub anyway, but it just feels so natural gesturing up-right!

Also, in regards to the memory leak issue in OS 7.1, I remember it wasn't as prominent as in earlier versions, but I guarantee you that it is still there. I dare you to keep apps wide open and keep switching by holding alt whilst scrolling left and right. Do that several times throughout the day and see if OS 7.1 won't start slowing on you. Check the info and you'll see that you're losing RAM so quickly such that you'll need to do a battery pull if you want your BlackBerry not to fail randomly on you and/or randomly deleting messages, calendar and contact entries. I remember having to clear something by pressing alt+LGLG every few days just to keep things running smoothly and to prevent losing PIM data. I don't remember what I was erasing exactly, but for some reason, from BlackBerry 4.0-7.1, it had helped me not get a "your memory is low" message. Otherwise, I would start seeing that hour glass (older OS) or the black square clock spinning without me realising that it's deleting my ****!

You really know your BBOS poopoo, very impressive !! In retrospect, speaking purely for my needs, I truly wish OS10 Contacts Apps could have been a little stronger with such features as Outlook Categories syncing with BlackBerry Contact Groups, that sort of thing...although I took the plunge into BB10 since AT&T launched the Z10, I'm still suffering through some of its shortcomings and am forced to use my laptop more often that I'd like to.

Again, congrats on explaining yourself so well earlier, well done!!!

Posted via my kick@ss Q10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    11-09-14 05:32 PM
    Not exactly. Microsoft is a good case in point. They managed to move their user base along with Windows upgrades. Even in the jump to the NT kernel as the mainstream OS (XP) they managed to maintain all the backwards facing conventions pretty much and even a lot of the backwards compatibility.

They in effect redesigned the plumbing of windows along the way while keeping the UI very familiar to the users.

Posted via CB10
    Before Windows Vista, we had no say in how Microsoft upgraded the OS and had to follow because they were virtually running a monopoly. It was until Windows Vista's release that MS suddenly realized no one moved, and at the same time Asus started churning out nice little Linux laptops...

It was then Microsoft felt threatened and made sure Windows XP compatibility when they released the Windows 7.
    11-13-14 07:52 AM
    Before Windows Vista, we had no say in how Microsoft upgraded the OS and had to follow because they were virtually running a monopoly. It was until Windows Vista's release that MS suddenly realized no one moved, and at the same time Asus started churning out nice little Linux laptops...

It was then Microsoft felt threatened and made sure Windows XP compatibility when they released the Windows 7.
    Actually, they don't really need competition from others they have competition with themselves. What I mean is, if people don't like the new OS, they simply keep the old one and revenue stops just the same as if they go to a competing brand. And this isn't the first time they released a dud and had to hurry up and release a good OS right behind it. But I do think it was the fastest. But if you think back you'd remember Windows ME...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-13-14 09:23 AM
    I'm inclined to agree with the OP with regard to the look of the phone.

My ideal Classic is basically a bigger Bold 9900 with a better camera and running on the BB10 OS.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that my ideal Classic would be an updated 9900, larger to accommodate the 3.5" screen and have the ergonomic "smiley face" keyboard of the 9900. I have a Q10 and, in my opinion I cannot type as fast, nor as accurately, on the straight keyboard. The 9900 keyboard was THE BEST physical keyboard ever designed.

And I would find a way to utilize BIS, and NOC...the data compression was awesome.

Just my two cents worth.
    Mr4aces and AthenaSmith like this.
    11-13-14 11:10 AM
129 ... 3456