I think the faith of the "Classic" was predetermined by a staff that never used the 9900 during the first 2 months if JC tenure. Then to make matters worst they had another bozo to do a rendering that also never used a 9900. JC most likely took the word of these people by the time JC announced the "Classic" the proto types were already setup as a straight keyboard. Mean while the cash went out for a new Q10 with a track belt. Just think if JC would have asked a BBOS employee instead of a BB10 bozo, we would have had the retro 9900 out in 3 months running on BBOS8.

Look at all the 9900 parts on Ebay and Amazon. Just think same frame, same keyboard, same glass. Make the back a little thicker to accommodate a bigger battery, updated mother board with 2-3g RAM and a better camera.

If I was running the R & D and my staff could not come up a design in 7 days they would be all fired.

BBOS8? Just some updates from 7.1 or modify the hybrid. The retro 9900 does not need the BB10 the screen is to small to play games anyway. Sell this for under $200-300 and you have a winner. Dedicate one (1) person to update and develop the BBOS8. And if BIS is going away modify the OS.

Continue to keep making this retro 9900 til hell freezes over. Drop the price 10-15% each year for 3-4 years.

While this retro phone is making money and increasing the user base. Start working on a 3.5 screen for the next update 6-10 months later under a new series using BB10.

I wonder how many man hours went into the BB10 OS to add the track belt with the BBOS hub? I would bet money it is not up to par with BBOS7. I took them 2-3 years to add about half the features that was dropped from OS7.

Yeah, I'm the guy that was ******** 1-2 mos ago about BB10 not being as good as OS7. I don't think Blend will do everything OS7 does. So if Blend is suppose to incorporate the features of OS7 what happened when BB10 came out?

OP think I'm beating a dead horse. Open your eyes.

BB "just don't get it"
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 10-04-14 at 07:20 AM.
    10-04-14 06:40 AM
    "if JC would have asked a BBOS employee instead of a BB10 bozo"
    "If I was running the R & D"
    " Sell this for under $200-300 and you have a winner. "
    "BB "just don't get it"

This really belongs in the "Armchair CEO" forum
    Alec Senior, bp3dots and KKruglov like this.
    10-04-14 07:00 AM
    This really belongs in the "Armchair CEO" forum
    That's right stick it where the people interested in the "CLASSIC" won't see it.

Another cover up.
    10-04-14 07:11 AM
    Continue OS 8 lol
    10-04-14 07:13 AM
    That's right stick it where the people interested in the "CLASSIC" won't see it.

Another cover up.
    Nonsense. It's the perfect venue for you to council John Chen and his executive staff on how they ought to go about doing their jobs.
    10-04-14 07:26 AM
    Continue OS 8 lol
    I talking about getting the retro phone out in the shortest time as cheap as possible. And for a specific phone that is current being used. Not for a phone of the future, but for an existing phones and the retro 9900. The future sales of the existing BBOS phones and this retro phone will more than off set one (1) employees wages.

How will this phone become dated if it is used for emails and text messaging? Only when these are no longer used any more.

The object of a company is to make money. If you have a product that is old technology and works, why quit making it?

I'm sure everybody has bought a computerize wash, dry, refrigerator or stove. How long did they last? My daughter went through 2 refers and 2 washers before she went back to the old fashion washer and refer. I have a washer and drier that is 25 years old and the only thing I've replaced is the knob on the washer and the heat sensor on the drier.

If it's not broke don't fix it.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-04-14 07:40 AM
    Nonsense. It's the perfect venue for you to council John Chen and his executive staff on how they ought to go about doing their jobs.
    If you want I can edit this to your specifications.
    10-04-14 07:45 AM
    Have you read the 10.3.1 thread?

we now have shortcuts, and custom notification profiles

Also we have fast internet, and apps out the wazoo.

Besides a removable battery, I don't know what else you need. to be as good a the 9900, besides the hourglass we used to get to look at alot.

Seriously that 10.3.1 leak with shortcuts, and profiles makes the Q10 2 buttons short of perfect.!

I am really, really excited for the classic now, I think it is gonna actually be a bigger better faster bold!!!

Now, if you just want a new model year bold with BNG, then i see where you are disappointed, but I am sorry to say I'm glad they didn't, change is bad progress is good.

;
    Chrisy, JGoodard, pgg101 and 8 others like this.
    10-04-14 07:47 AM
    You are missing the point of the Classic. The idea is to eventually migrate away from BBOS. It's a disadvantage to have to have to maintain two completely different code bases.
    The Classic will try to make BBOS hold-outs a little more comfortable with the transition. Those that simply can't deal with the change will be left behind and they can choose whatever alternative they want.
    BB10 is the way forward for BB. They will win some and lose some. That is just the reality of the situation.
    10-04-14 07:51 AM
    If it's not broke don't fix it.
    Except it IS broke, and needed fixing. The world was moving beyond what BB was able to deliver with antiquated java based BBOS. Not sure how you missed that.
    10-04-14 07:57 AM
    Have you read the 10.3.1 thread?

we now have shortcuts, and custom notification profiles

Also we have fast internet, and apps out the wazoo.

Besides a removable battery, I don't know what else you need. to be as good a the 9900, besides the hourglass we used to get to look at alot.

Seriously that 10.3.1 leak with shortcuts, and profiles makes the Q10 2 buttons short of perfect.

;
    Your right "now" the BB10.3.1 with the Q10 and "Classic" works.

The problem with the hour glass is lack of RAM because the 9900 end up with less than 300kb of usable RAM.

Specific OS for a specific use.
    10-04-14 08:00 AM
    Except it IS broke, and needed fixing. The world was moving beyond what BB was able to deliver with antiquated java based BBOS. Not sure how you missed that.
    I was refering to the concept of using the 9900. Not the antiquared OS.
    No did not miss that. I'm talking about putting a phone out in less than 3 months. Not a fully developed new phone.

What "if" this could have been done earlier this year? It would buy time to work out the OS by now or implement the BB10.
    10-04-14 08:06 AM
    Yes, "now", that's what we are talking about, aren't we? Can't go back in time.
    The Classic, with 10.3.1 (that's what it's shipping with), will deliver pretty much everything that was "removed" from BBOS - plus TONS of stuff that was impossible and didn't exist on BBOS. So what's the problem?
    10-04-14 08:06 AM

The problem with the hour glass is lack of RAM because the 9900 end up with less than 300kb of usable RAM.

Specific OS for a specific use.
    It's not the ram. Memory shouldn't be leaking like that to begin with. It's the architecture of the device and the os that was designed to run on it. The first few iphones had less ram. Hell the new iPhone 6 only has a tiny bit more ram than the bold. It's old legacy tech. Which is why it needed to be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:10 AM
    Yes, "now", that's what we are talking about, aren't we? Can't go back in time.
    The Classic, with 10.3.1 (that's what it's shipping with), will deliver pretty much everything that was "removed" from BBOS - plus TONS of stuff that was impossible and didn't exist on BBOS. So what's the problem?
    Removable battery;
    Convince button;
    Ergonomic key board;
    Charging contacts;

I can live without the convince button and charging ports. But the fixed battery turns the phone into "disposable"after 2 years, because most people won't take the phone apart to replace the battery.

The fluid design of the ergonomic keyboard is un touchable. And will help prevent Carpal Tunnel in your thumbs.

Yes the "Classic" is going to be better than the Q10 and the 9900 but it will never out type the 9900.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 10-04-14 at 08:28 AM.
    10-04-14 08:14 AM
    It's not the ram. Memory shouldn't be leaking like that to begin with. It's the architecture of the device and the os that was designed to run on it. The first few iphones had less ram. Hell the new iPhone 6 only has a tiny bit more ram than the bold. It's old legacy tech. Which is why it needed to be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    Would it take one (1) person more than 6 months to fix or redesign it? Don't you think the profit and increase of BB's user base more than offset a modification?
    10-04-14 08:19 AM
    If you think continuing to release BBOS phones would "increase there user base", then I don't know what else to say. We just disagree.
    10-04-14 08:23 AM
    OP, I hear what you're saying and it wouldn't be a bad idea except for the part where we use all the the old parts that were made to fit the screen size of the 9900... Going back to that screen size would be frustrating.
    10-04-14 08:29 AM
    Removable battery;
    Convince button;
    Ergonomic key board;
    Charging contacts;

Yes the "Classic" is going to be better than the Q10 and the 9900 but it will never out type the 9900.
    Mr4aces please stop polluting the forums with this topic. It's a closed subject st the moment. If you can't live without convince keys, then wait for the next version or forever at this point. Life is full of compromises. This is no different.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:29 AM
    Would it take one (1) person more than 6 months to fix or redesign it? Don't you think the profit and increase of BB's user base more than offset a modification?
    No. Because a lot of the technology is open source technology and licensed tech not made by BlackBerry. The components are not all created by BlackBerry either. It's not just about fixing it. It would have to be redesigned for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:32 AM
    If you think continuing to release BBOS phones would "increase there user base", then I don't know what else to say. We just disagree.
    To many BBOS phones still being used when these phones die these users will move on. Some will stay with the BB line some will just buy something else. Why not capture these 8000 and 9000 series users now by have a phone they are familiar with? Look on Ebay, Amazon and some of the carriers like ATT they are still selling 8000 series phones. Why would they carry it if it wasn't selling? Familiarization!
    10-04-14 08:37 AM
    No. Because a lot of the technology is open source technology and licensed tech not made by BlackBerry. The components are not all created by BlackBerry either. It's not just about fixing it. It would have to be redesigned for bb10.

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying all the phones using BBOS will no longer work for emails, texting and phone calls. Nor will they be able to browse 3 years from now?

The BB10 has already been up dated for the tool belt. If you want to kill the BBOS, why can't this retro 9900 be updated to the BB10 after it's initial offering? Of course the BB10 would be specific to this model.

I think hardware is hardware and you could wipe BBOS off and upload BB10 to the retro 9900 with updayed hardware.

Am I thinking wrong?
    10-04-14 08:46 AM
    To many BBOS phones still being used when these phones die these users will move on. Some will stay with the BB line some will just buy something else. Why not capture these 8000 and 9000 series users now by have a phone they are familiar with? Look on Ebay, Amazon and some of the carriers like ATT they are still selling 8000 series phones. Why would they carry it if it wasn't selling? Familiarization!
    EBay is still selling atari, laser tag sets, and board games. It doesn't mean there's a market for them. Making observations of local ebay sales and a holding a global inventory in multiple countries in multiple carriers is not the same thing. I bet it.cost more to ship a single shipment of phones to a warehouse in India than the sales of all the bold sales in ebay in a year.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:46 AM
    BBOS had reached its peak. That's why it was necessary to move on to BB10; which, by the way, is only called BB10 because there was a copyright issue with BBX. If there was a way to make BBOS function any better, they would have just done that, but it was time to move on.

The functionality that's already present in BB10 is awesome. The function that's coming in 10.3.1 is going to be even better.

JB

Posted internationally thanks to my Passport
    Chrisy, Naeg1995 and JGoodard like this.
    10-04-14 08:47 AM
    Are you saying all the phones using BBOS will no longer work for emails, texting and phone calls. Nor will they be able to browse 3 years from now?

The BB10 has already been up dated for the tool belt. If you want to kill the BBOS, why can't this retro 9900 be updated to the BB10 after itks initial offering?

I think hardware is hardware and you could wipe BBOS off and upload BB10 to the retro 9900 with updayed hardware.

Am I thinking wrong?
    They will work fine but you can't just throw bbos on modern chips. One reason BlackBerry can run android apps is because it happens to be the same chip set. But it wouldn't be able to run ios for example. The chipsets running bbos are not being worked on by anyone anymore. BlackBerry is not going to pick up that. It was never their LOB to begin with. There's not enough bbosers to warrant the time and cost.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 08:50 AM
129 123 ...