if passport work well for you why eyeing the classic then?
    Im intrigued with the classic. Plus its new. Makes me want to try it.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:15 AM
    classic and passport are aimed at different ppl so I think it all comes down to each person on what they like about the two phones ,I love my passport but if work give me a classic i would be happy
    geekaren likes this.
    12-29-14 01:21 AM
    A little off topic but, which phone runs Android apps better via Snap? The Classic or Passport?

I'm assuming the Passport because of the hardware?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 01:25 AM
    A little off topic but, which phone runs Android apps better via Snap? The Classic or Passport?

I'm assuming the Passport because of the hardware?

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Passport hands down I'd expect. Not to mention the battery drain and the fact that the Passport has a larger one.

I've read some reviews where folks complained that the Classic was slow to launch Android apps. I have yet to hear anyone complain that the Passport has any such issue. That said I don't play games. I'd guess there has to be some massive games that cause some lag. But I do not know...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Lefty724 likes this.
    12-29-14 01:33 AM
    What Passport owners seem to be saying here is, in order to live with the Passport you will end up carrying a smaller second device around with you.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 04:14 AM
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. Haha

Posted via CB10
    And extra afraid!

Passport/CB10 on WIND
    12-29-14 06:07 AM
    Great work.
    12-29-14 06:25 AM
    I think the decision between Classic and Passport depends a lot on the size. For example I own a Passport since about two months and use it as my daily driver. It is a great device for sure, but the size is a bigger problem for me than I thought it would be. I won't replace the Passport with anything right now, but I started looking again at the Classic. It seems just the right size for me, plus I can go back to my beloved BlackBerry + pocket pouch combo, which I can't with the Passport since there is no pouch available.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I had a Passport, and I ultimately was not comfortable with the size. I need to be able to do things with one hand, and I just could not do that. In addition, the keyboard is just not as nice to type on the Passport. It does not fit in pants pocket comfortably, so I just couldn't figure out what to do with it on the go, and I did not want to carry a man purse with me everywhere. It also does not fit in a standard cup holder, which is where my Classic/Z30/Bold is always placed when in my car. These are all the "little" things that I just could not overcome. See drkpitt's post as further guidance for your decision, but I do agree that the size is a huge (no pun intended) decision factor, since this is something you will have with you all the time.

Posted via CB10
    Vintage123 and christausky like this.
    12-29-14 07:41 AM
    Agreed. I had a Passport, and I ultimately was not comfortable with the size. I need to be able to do things with one hand, and I just could not do that. In addition, the keyboard is just not as nice to type on the Passport. It does not fit in pants pocket comfortably, so I just couldn't figure out what to do with it on the go, and I did not want to carry a man purse with me everywhere. It also does not fit in a standard cup holder, which is where my Classic/Z30/Bold is always placed when in my car. These are all the "little" things that I just could not overcome. See drkpitt's post as further guidance for your decision, but I do agree that the size is a huge (no pun intended) decision factor, since this is something you will have with you all the time.

Posted via CB10
    that is why I didn't buy when I went to play with it and the 3 rows kb
    12-29-14 07:47 AM
    Lol I can use passport one hand cuz of swipe to correct but I'm 6 2 jatt.

Classic old tech old style get passport unless you NEED one hand like you travel with luggage in one hand a lot.

The extra second you take to stop and type 2 hand on the excellent quality kb makes you like it more.

It is the new crack blackberry
    12-29-14 08:43 AM
    classic is trash. save your money. get a q10 or passport. Now i see more then ever why blackberry and bankrupt or always in the same sentence.
    Really?! Well then you must have been sleeping for the last year and half or since BB10's been launched! BlackBerry the company, has continued to have billions on hand every fiscal quarter, despite burning through some of that cash and having less then stellar handset sales. What you should be saying is bankrupt and BlackBerry have yet to be seen in the same sentence.

I'm not saying the Classic should be BlackBerry's hail mary phone but it was designed with one intention in mind. Get as many BBOS hold outs and companies that still have employees on BBOS7 device upgraded and of that platform without the shell shock of moving to a completely gesture based operation like on all other BB10 devices. That is the Classic's target market, anyone expecting it to replace your current Q10 or Z devices, haven't taken 30 seconds of there life to devote to some research.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-29-14 08:56 AM
    Really?! Well then you must have been sleeping for the last year and half or since BB10's been launched! BlackBerry the company, has continued to have billions on hand every fiscal quarter, despite burning through some of that cash and having less then stellar handset sales. What you should be saying is bankrupt and BlackBerry have yet to be seen in the same sentence.

I'm not saying the Classic should be BlackBerry's hail mary phone but it was designed with one intention in mind. Get as many BBOS hold outs and companies that still have employees on BBOS7 device upgraded and of that platform without the shell shock of moving to a completely gesture based operation like on all other BB10 devices. That is the Classic's target market, anyone expecting it to replace your current Q10 or Z devices, haven't taken 30 seconds of there life to devote to some research.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    well I have a Z 30 and I have done my research on that.....I still bought it...as far as I am concerned it is just as fast as my Z for 99.99 % of the time.

Chen always said it is for the business people with the ability for consumer to buy it..That for every devices they will make in the future.
    12-29-14 09:04 AM
    I have small hands for a dude anyway so I always use 2 hands to type on any device I have. On the Classic, I can get by a few things one handed but prefer to wait and use 2 whenever possible because of speed and accuracy.

So I thought one handed operation was a big deal, but I learned that 2 hands is just more comfortable and efficient.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 09:16 AM
    What Passport owners seem to be saying here is, in order to live with the Passport you will end up carrying a smaller second device around with you.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt most passport users carry a 2nd smaller device around with them. Of those that do carry 2 devices, I would expect them to be different sizes, if they are for different purposes.

The passport feels big at first, but after a few hours, everything else starts to feel small. I returned to blackberry from iPhone5, and the passport made me realize that I can't type with 2 hands on an iPhone5 because my hands are too big.

Some people see the requirement of using 2 hands to type on the passport as a negative, but I see the inability to type with 2 hands on the iPhone as a negative.

I also suspect that most people that want to type with a single hand are texting and driving, so they deserve a swift kick to the jewels anyways.
    geekaren likes this.
    12-29-14 09:52 AM
    well I have a Z 30 and I have done my research on that.....I still bought it...as far as I am concerned it is just as fast as my Z for 99.99 % of the time.

Chen always said it is for the business people with the ability for consumer to buy it..That for every devices they will make in the future.
    Fair enough! But just because you have the ability to purchase said device and are coming from an older BB10 model like a Z30, doesn't negate the fact that the BlackBerry Classic's targeted market is NOT meant for current BlackBerry 10 users but rather, older BBOS users who have 9900 or older BBOS7 devices.

It's your prerogative if you want to move to a BlackBerry Classic from your current BB10 device. It's just my opinion and seems to be the majority of CB members opinion, that it's just not worth signing into a carrier agreement or purchasing it unlocked if you're coming from a Q, Z and definitely not a Passport models.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    12-29-14 09:55 AM
    Fair enough! But just because you have the ability to purchase said device and are coming from an older BB10 model like a Z30, doesn't negate the fact that the BlackBerry 4 ) Classic's targeted market is NOT meant for current BlackBerry 10 users but rather, older BBOS users who have 9900 or older BBOS7 devices.

It's your prerogative if you want to move to a BlackBerry Classic from your current BB10 device. It's just my opinion and seems to be the majority of CB members opinion, 1) that it's just not worth signing into a carrier agreement or 2) purchasing it unlocked if you're coming from a Q, Z and 3 ) definitely not a Passport models.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    1) agreed with you

2) always depends of one's needs

3) i don't get your thoughts on this one

4) agreed
    12-29-14 10:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not at all. I carry two devices...both of them large haha. That's a personal choice though. My Passport has been the device that has received most of my use since I received it a month ago.
    12-29-14 10:09 AM
    Hi Wayne,

I have the Passport and the Classic (as well as Z10, Z30, Q10) and use them both. Ultimately I prefer the Passport because of the CPU horsepower and 3GB RAM it has in addition to the impressive camera and the swipe back to delete text. In other areas though the Classic basically nets out to a draw as the toolbelt it has effectively negates the Passport's touchpad since you can scroll through screens without touching the screen as well, cut and paste easily, and the keyboard is actually faster to type on since the keys are closer together. You get used to the Passport keyboard quickly but the fact is the keys are still a bit too far apart and I feel that typing on it gets tiring after a while, even with the use of swiping next word predictions (which I'm pretty good at.). For the areas that the Passport doesn't shine, I also carry my Z10 around as the primary and use it about 75% of the time with the Passport at 25%. I can type so fast on the Z10 with little effort so it still remains my messaging champ. I would use the Passport more except that my primary BBM ID is on the Z10. Once we go to unified BB IDs that may change. But I digress.

Here are some of my opinions on the differences between the Classic and Passport for what matters to me:

- If you're going to pound out lots of emails and instant messages, BBMs, etc. the Classic will be better.
    - If you're going to take lots of pictures, the Passport is far better. Not even close.
    - If you're going to be a heavy user of Android apps and run a lot at the same time or in the background the Passport is better.
    - If you're going to read a lot of websites and emails and articles, Kindle, Instagram, Facebook, the Passport is better.
    - If you really like one handed use the Classic will be far better. Not even close. The Passport can be used one handed for most situations, but you'll still revert to two hands a lot for any texting.
    - If you're going to use the phone as a speakerphone in loud environments the Passport has a slight edge as it's louder, but the Classic actually sounds a bit richer.
    - If you're going to make regular calls with the earpiece the Passport is better; the loudness compensation for your ear position is something to marvel at
    - For in the hand feel, the Black Passport and Black Classic feel terrific and is a draw. I also have the Red Passport and it feels terrible due to the red plastic slippery back; I put a protective clear skin on the back to try to give it more tactile feel but it's poor workaround. I suspect the White Classic will have a slippery plastic white back so be careful what colors you choose.
    - For screen quality at a real world distance, they look pretty similar which is impressive. Classic is super bright, high contrast, great color just like the Passport. However, up close the Passport wins by a mile as the pixel structure of the Classic becomes noticeable

In summary, the Classic is a very nice phone and will do as a phenomenal upgrade for those who are coming from Bolds or those who really like the trackpad as they can navigate like champs with virtually no finger movement saving time. If the Classic had come out with better CPU, more RAM, and the Passport's camera, I would choose the Classic over the Passport (and possibly the all touch Z10 and Z30 as well). As it stands though, I would use the Passport more often than the Classic. But I have the caveat mentioned above where I carry the Z10 to handle all of my heavy texting needs since the virtual keyboard is unbeatable for me.

Hope this helps!
    Best overview I've read. Ever. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:17 AM
    Fair enough! But just because you have the ability to purchase said device and are coming from an older BB10 model like a Z30, doesn't negate the fact that the BlackBerry Classic's targeted market is NOT meant for current BlackBerry 10 users but rather, older BBOS users who have 9900 or older BBOS7 devices.

It's your prerogative if you want to move to a BlackBerry Classic from your current BB10 device. It's just my opinion and seems to be the majority of CB members opinion, that it's just not worth signing into a carrier agreement or purchasing it unlocked if you're coming from a Q, Z and definitely not a Passport models.

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    That's what I found just by comparing side by side the Q10 to the Classic i.e. Why would I switch -its the same device ostensibly. Also, I was worried about putting the PP in my front pants pocket on weekends and found after testing that it wasn't much different than carrying my wife's iphone i.e. it's not as bad as you think.
    12-29-14 10:36 AM
    I also suspect that most people that want to type with a single hand are texting and driving, so they deserve a swift kick to the jewels anyways.
    The most positive thing I have read about texting one handed on a passport. Passport owners are less likely to text and drive.
    When I owned a Passport, I could at a uncomfortably stretch text one handed, though attempting to reach the Q, A, or Z I would come close to loosing grip if the phone. I'm a active person, I like to walk. I attempted to send my wife a text while walking down the road with the Passport in my right hand and my 20 week old bullmastiff puppy on a lead in my left hand (a task that I take for granted with my Q10). I had to stop and hold the passport with both hands in fear of dropping a brand new phone. OK, so maybe not many people walk the dog and text. But someone may walk, stand, or sit with a drink, sandwich in the other hand. It's not just texting, it's difficult (not impossible) to reach the top left corner of the passport screen if you are holding it in your right hand, and vice-a-visa. One example is the Facebook application has a menu button in the top left corner of the screen.
    The passport showed me how I use a phone one handed on the move. However the passport is top of the BlackBerry range, has the best screen, and is a great phone when you are sitting down with two free hands.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 02:42 PM

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    The extra screen real estate and belt were plenty enough for me to switch from my Q. But I agree that the intent is to draw legacy users.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    12-29-14 05:05 PM
    Hi Wayne,

I have the Passport and the Classic (as well as Z10, Z30, Q10) and use them both. Ultimately I prefer the Passport because of the CPU horsepower and 3GB RAM it has in addition to the impressive camera and the swipe back to delete text. In other areas though the Classic basically nets out to a draw as the toolbelt it has effectively negates the Passport's touchpad since you can scroll through screens without touching the screen as well, cut and paste easily, and the keyboard is actually faster to type on since the keys are closer together. You get used to the Passport keyboard quickly but the fact is the keys are still a bit too far apart and I feel that typing on it gets tiring after a while, even with the use of swiping next word predictions (which I'm pretty good at.). For the areas that the Passport doesn't shine, I also carry my Z10 around as the primary and use it about 75% of the time with the Passport at 25%. I can type so fast on the Z10 with little effort so it still remains my messaging champ. I would use the Passport more except that my primary BBM ID is on the Z10. Once we go to unified BB IDs that may change. But I digress.

Here are some of my opinions on the differences between the Classic and Passport for what matters to me:

- If you're going to pound out lots of emails and instant messages, BBMs, etc. the Classic will be better.
    - If you're going to take lots of pictures, the Passport is far better. Not even close.
    - If you're going to be a heavy user of Android apps and run a lot at the same time or in the background the Passport is better.
    - If you're going to read a lot of websites and emails and articles, Kindle, Instagram, Facebook, the Passport is better.
    - If you really like one handed use the Classic will be far better. Not even close. The Passport can be used one handed for most situations, but you'll still revert to two hands a lot for any texting.
    - If you're going to use the phone as a speakerphone in loud environments the Passport has a slight edge as it's louder, but the Classic actually sounds a bit richer.
    - If you're going to make regular calls with the earpiece the Passport is better; the loudness compensation for your ear position is something to marvel at
    - For in the hand feel, the Black Passport and Black Classic feel terrific and is a draw. I also have the Red Passport and it feels terrible due to the red plastic slippery back; I put a protective clear skin on the back to try to give it more tactile feel but it's poor workaround. I suspect the White Classic will have a slippery plastic white back so be careful what colors you choose.
    - For screen quality at a real world distance, they look pretty similar which is impressive. Classic is super bright, high contrast, great color just like the Passport. However, up close the Passport wins by a mile as the pixel structure of the Classic becomes noticeable

In summary, the Classic is a very nice phone and will do as a phenomenal upgrade for those who are coming from Bolds or those who really like the trackpad as they can navigate like champs with virtually no finger movement saving time. If the Classic had come out with better CPU, more RAM, and the Passport's camera, I would choose the Classic over the Passport (and possibly the all touch Z10 and Z30 as well). As it stands though, I would use the Passport more often than the Classic. But I have the caveat mentioned above where I carry the Z10 to handle all of my heavy texting needs since the virtual keyboard is unbeatable for me.

Hope this helps!
    First, thank you for such a helpful post on the Passport vs. Classic. I have a couple questions for you since you seem to be quite familiar with these 2 phones.

For me, here are the most important factors I need in a phone. They are all incredibly important to me and just about equally weighted between all.

A - 1-handed usability (and comfortable in 1 hand!)
    B - speedy device that can handle heavy multitasking
    C - reliable device that gets me through the day (my days are 18 hours)

Okay, now some disclaimers.

A - 1-handed usability is very important to me because I am in school and do a lot of walking between bus stops / buildings / down hallways / etc. and carry a lunchbox in my left hand, and it's important that I'm productive when I'm walking between places since I do a decent amount of it throughout the day.

B1 - I am an Android user and managing and switching between multiple apps is another need that's quite important to me. I'm actually worried about BB10's limitation on 8 switchable apps, since it's not uncommon for me to juggle more than that on Android. (I actually posted a thread on the BB10 OS forum expressing this worry)

B2 - While I am an Android user, I'm going to try to switch as much as possible to purely BB apps. To my understanding, running Android apps is basically emulation, which is usually never ideal. So, treat my multitasking need as multitasking between BB10 apps. I'm not interested in playing games / video / social media or any of that garbage. (which is why I'm kinda sick of Android / iOS / Windows Phone / [insert consumer phone here] ) I need phone calls, emails, texts, web browsing, calendar & contacts management, document editing, and on occasion maps & navigation.

C - My days are pretty busy and I'm not usually in a single location for more than a couple hours, which would make charging my phone throughout the day a royal pain. And a lot of my days creep upwards towards 18 hours, so I need a phone that won't let me down in that regard.

More disclaimers :

- I don't really have much of a camera need. Probably 65% of my purpose in having a camera on my phone is to scan up papers into black & white PDFs, while maybe 35% of the time, I do use it to photograph chalkboards from some distance away (and appreciate being able to see the detail in the writing).

- I am absolutely only going to go for 1 device, which I will put in my front jeans pocket. The 2 devices I carry around are my phone and laptop, that's it.

Basically, my needs can be boiled down thusly :
    (...I realize it may sound typical and at times unrealistic...)

I am a busy person, and I need a device that will be a reliable productivity "companion" for me. (A) It needs to be comfortable to use (so I can quickly and painlessly do what I need to do then put it away), (B) it needs to be fast and handle whatever I ask it to do (few things p iss me off more than a slow phone/computer which I rely on), and (C) it needs to be there for me during the day when I need it (so have decent battery life).

Of course, the Classic wins (A), and from what I understand the Passport wins (B) and (C) but in the gray area. What I'm interested to know is the extent by which each phone wins each category, since the {balance of} and {extent of} wins between each phone will probably be the most telling in which will suit me better.

Bottom line : the way I see it's {Passport's performance} vs. {Classic's convenience}. I have a physical passport so I'm able to feel what a real Passport will feel like. But I don't know how good or bad the Classic is at performing in the areas that are important to me.

Thanks in advance if you do reply.
    Last edited by Hevroth; 12-29-14 at 09:38 PM.
    12-29-14 09:01 PM
    -snip-
    Like myself and many others, the phone you want does not exist. Classic 2 will hopefully bring it (performance, efficiency, size) all in one high end package.
    tagumcity likes this.
    12-29-14 09:40 PM
    Like myself and many others, the phone you want does not exist. Classic 2 will hopefully bring it (performance, efficiency, size) all in one high end package.
    Right, of course. :-) Although, for me it almost existed in the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. But it being plagued with glass cracking issues shut it down for me. The infatuation with 4.5" + screen-ed phones (it's just about 5" + now) is what caused me to move away from the platform (that and the lack of productivity/efficiency in comparison with BB10).

I have both phones in transit to me, since I realize nothing beats first-hand experience; but I wanted to get an insider's look into my specific concerns to hopefully solidify some of my preconceptions or maybe even bias me towards 1 phone. :-)
    12-29-14 09:47 PM
    if that can help you

CrackBerry User
    Posts73 PostsGlobal Posts74 Global Posts
    12-21-2014, 05:41 PM
    #26 Report Post
    I think you have a faulty device.

I take my phone off charge at 6am, 6pm comes and I'm at 51%.

20+ emails a day sent, receive on average 20 emails a day, with 50% of them replied to, numerous (100+) texts to the wife, 5 phone calls minimum every 2-3 hrs. My job - I work in Projects, so I'm on my phone quite a lot.

I do not play any games, I do not have Skype on, I rarely check facebook while working, I don't tweet or instagram and have only taken one photo with this thing. I use it for work and work only.

If you work, it will last all day. If you are a social media addict, I do not know how long it will last.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 10:28 PM
62 123