I was waiting for the Classic to arrive before deciding on it vs the Passport. Side by side with the Q10 I just couldn't see the upgrade potential of the Classic i.e. it's not that much different than the Q10.

With 3.1 on the Q10 much of the text selection issues are resolved without the trackpad and IMO the swipe gestures are appreciably just as efficient as the other belt buttons. The Classic screen was slightly bigger but again, not enough to warrant an upgrade.

In the end I went for the Passport since it was only $50 more than the Classic and in my mind represents a significant upgrade for those already on BB10.

For those coming from a 9900 I would totally understand the Classic being an upgrade.

Anyways, that is my experience.
    12-28-14 01:27 PM
    I was waiting for the Classic to arrive before deciding on it vs the Passport. Side by side with the Q10 I just couldn't see the upgrade potential of the Classic i.e. it's not that much different than the Q10.

With 3.1 on the Q10 much of the text selection issues are resolved without the trackpad and IMO the swipe gestures are appreciably just as efficient as the other belt buttons. The Classic screen was slightly bigger but again, not enough to warrant an upgrade.

In the end I went for the Passport since it was only $50 more than the Classic and in my mind represents a significant upgrade for those already on BB10.

For those coming from a 9900 I would totally understand the Classic being an upgrade.

Anyways, that is my experience.

that is what it was for and those that wanted full kb
    Superfly_FR and emkay47 like this.
    12-28-14 01:30 PM
    I came from a Glalxy S5 to a Q10, and now a Classic. Imo the Classic is a lot better than the Q10. Nicer screen, better feel, faster all around, and just plain sexy....

With all that being said, I have a Passport on the way and my fear is that I'm going to be Uber-impressed with the Passport and put my Classic down?!

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:36 PM
    I am in the process of coming back to BB. I too am a bit confused as to which one to buy. I am going to pull the trigger tonight on Amazon. I have played with both the Classic and the Passport and can't make up my damn mind. I felt the Passport felt a little funny to type on but maybe I would get use to that.

I played with the Classic and while I like it, i hate giving up the screen size and it does feel old. I know thats a little foolish and I know it is designed for an upgraded 9900.

I am coming from an iPhone 6+ and I had to do a lot of thinking as to coming back to BB. But you just can't deny the fact that BB handles email, texts, calendars and reminders better than any OS out there. The iPhone and Android is great with apps, games, and web browsing, maps etc. But when I really think about it, if I use 3 or 4 apps I'm lucky. The only other thing I was concerned about is BB Maps, I didn't really like it. I use Google and now I hear we can download "Snaps" and download google maps. If thats true, then its a winner.

I just have to decide which BB to get. I was hoping for some thoughts from actual users of both devices.

Thanks,

Wayne
    ponpiri likes this.
    12-28-14 01:37 PM
    ...I have a Passport on the way and my fear is that I'm going to be Uber-impressed with the Passport and put my Classic down?!

Posted via CB10
    Be afraid. Be very afraid. Haha

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-28-14 01:45 PM
    I am in the process of coming back to BB. I too am a bit confused as to which one to buy. I am going to pull the trigger tonight on Amazon. I have played with both the Classic and the Passport and can't make up my damn mind. I felt the Passport felt a little funny to type on but maybe I would get use to that.

I played with the Classic and while I like it, i hate giving up the screen size and it does feel old. I know thats a little foolish and I know it is designed for an upgraded 9900.

I am coming from an iPhone 6+ and I had to do a lot of thinking as to coming back to BB. But you just can't deny the fact that BB handles email, texts, calendars and reminders better than any OS out there. The iPhone and Android is great with apps, games, and web browsing, maps etc. But when I really think about it, if I use 3 or 4 apps I'm lucky. The only other thing I was concerned about is BB Maps, I didn't really like it. I use Google and now I hear we can download "Snaps" and download google maps. If thats true, then its a winner.

I just have to decide which BB to get. I was hoping for some thoughts from actual users of both devices.

Thanks,

Wayne
    Hi there, Wayne.

I also own a 6+. When I purchased my 6+, I thought it was was the ultimate device for me -- a big iPhone. However, since receiving my Passport, it is the device I will grab before even turning to my 6+.

If you choose the Passport, you will definitely get use to the typing experience. No worries there.

I also own the Classic. I had originally assumed I'd hate the Passport and be in love with the Classic. Although the keyboard is superb and the nostalgia factor is a major draw, like yourself, the screen size of the Passport is what keeps me favoring the Passport over the Classic.

It will all just come down to what you want and need from your device. You can't go wrong with either one for sure.

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-28-14 01:52 PM
    It will all just come down to what you want and need from your device. You can't go wrong with either one for sure.
    Totally agree... they're both great devices.
    12-28-14 01:59 PM
    ...the Classic screen is great but my Q10 was nice and bright too. If you take out the fact that it is slightly larger I don't believe the. 4 increase warrants the 2 year clock to begin running on a contract imo.
    12-28-14 02:36 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Go for the passport! Flagship blackberry it is!!

From my awesome Passport

Posted via CB10
    geekaren likes this.
    12-28-14 02:48 PM
    Definitely go with Passport if one handed use is not a must have thing for you.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-28-14 03:46 PM
    Choice is good. Both are excellent choices. Enjoy.

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    12-28-14 04:27 PM
    classic is trash. save your money. get a q10 or passport. Now i see more then ever why blackberry and bankrupt or always in the same sentence.
    12-28-14 04:32 PM
    classic is trash. save your money. get a q10 or passport. Now i see more then ever why blackberry and bankrupt or always in the same sentence.
    Brilliant.

12-28-14 04:37 PM
    cannot please evreyone
    12-28-14 04:48 PM
    Another Internet punk, surprise surprise.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 05:28 PM
    and he is rocking a passport.....thought BB user were not trashing other BB user....go figure
    mk2234 likes this.
    12-28-14 05:37 PM
    I'm finding that more and more here. It used to be just Apple and Android users. Now if you don't have a certain Blackberry you get called names.

mk2234, ponpiri, Soul_Est and 1 others like this.
    12-28-14 06:19 PM

Thanks,

Wayne
    Hi Wayne,

I have the Passport and the Classic (as well as Z10, Z30, Q10) and use them both. Ultimately I prefer the Passport because of the CPU horsepower and 3GB RAM it has in addition to the impressive camera and the swipe back to delete text. In other areas though the Classic basically nets out to a draw as the toolbelt it has effectively negates the Passport's touchpad since you can scroll through screens without touching the screen as well, cut and paste easily, and the keyboard is actually faster to type on since the keys are closer together. You get used to the Passport keyboard quickly but the fact is the keys are still a bit too far apart and I feel that typing on it gets tiring after a while, even with the use of swiping next word predictions (which I'm pretty good at.). For the areas that the Passport doesn't shine, I also carry my Z10 around as the primary and use it about 75% of the time with the Passport at 25%. I can type so fast on the Z10 with little effort so it still remains my messaging champ. I would use the Passport more except that my primary BBM ID is on the Z10. Once we go to unified BB IDs that may change. But I digress.

Here are some of my opinions on the differences between the Classic and Passport for what matters to me:

- If you're going to pound out lots of emails and instant messages, BBMs, etc. the Classic will be better.
    - If you're going to take lots of pictures, the Passport is far better. Not even close.
    - If you're going to be a heavy user of Android apps and run a lot at the same time or in the background the Passport is better.
    - If you're going to read a lot of websites and emails and articles, Kindle, Instagram, Facebook, the Passport is better.
    - If you really like one handed use the Classic will be far better. Not even close. The Passport can be used one handed for most situations, but you'll still revert to two hands a lot for any texting.
    - If you're going to use the phone as a speakerphone in loud environments the Passport has a slight edge as it's louder, but the Classic actually sounds a bit richer.
    - If you're going to make regular calls with the earpiece the Passport is better; the loudness compensation for your ear position is something to marvel at
    - For in the hand feel, the Black Passport and Black Classic feel terrific and is a draw. I also have the Red Passport and it feels terrible due to the red plastic slippery back; I put a protective clear skin on the back to try to give it more tactile feel but it's poor workaround. I suspect the White Classic will have a slippery plastic white back so be careful what colors you choose.
    - For screen quality at a real world distance, they look pretty similar which is impressive. Classic is super bright, high contrast, great color just like the Passport. However, up close the Passport wins by a mile as the pixel structure of the Classic becomes noticeable

In summary, the Classic is a very nice phone and will do as a phenomenal upgrade for those who are coming from Bolds or those who really like the trackpad as they can navigate like champs with virtually no finger movement saving time. If the Classic had come out with better CPU, more RAM, and the Passport's camera, I would choose the Classic over the Passport (and possibly the all touch Z10 and Z30 as well). As it stands though, I would use the Passport more often than the Classic. But I have the caveat mentioned above where I carry the Z10 to handle all of my heavy texting needs since the virtual keyboard is unbeatable for me.

Hope this helps!
    12-28-14 09:17 PM
    I think the decision between Classic and Passport depends a lot on the size. For example I own a Passport since about two months and use it as my daily driver. It is a great device for sure, but the size is a bigger problem for me than I thought it would be. I won't replace the Passport with anything right now, but I started looking again at the Classic. It seems just the right size for me, plus I can go back to my beloved BlackBerry + pocket pouch combo, which I can't with the Passport since there is no pouch available.

Posted via CB10
    conker and christausky like this.
    12-28-14 09:26 PM
    Great review drkpitt!!! Spot on.

I have and love my Classic very much. I have a Passport on the way and it will be my camera/calendar/tablet for taking pics and scheduling jobs (self employed) while the Classic will be my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    drkpitt likes this.
    12-28-14 09:52 PM
    Im eyeing on the classic as well but i dont think i am ready to let go of my passport. The form factor of this passport is just amazing.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-14 12:45 AM
    Im eyeing on the classic as well but i dont think i am ready to let go of my passport. The form factor of this passport is just amazing.

Posted via CB10
    if passport work well for you why eyeing the classic then?
    12-29-14 12:46 AM

Thanks,

Wayne
    I think you already have the answer.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-29-14 01:02 AM
    I use Google and now I hear we can download "Snaps" and download google maps. If thats true, then its a winner.
    Google Maps runs as well on the Passport as on my LG G2. And the G2 is a pretty fast phone.

Yeah. Google Maps. No problem at all.

Using Snap you can install pretty much any Android app directly from Google Play so long as the app does not require Google Services to run. Some apps depending on which function you use might prompt for installing GSF (which you can't) , but will nonetheless run just fine.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 01:06 AM
    To me it's just a question of size. The Passport is absolutely not a one handed phone if that's what one needs.

I would also have to give some weight to how much running of Android apps one wants to do. The Passport runs Android apps quite a bit better than early gen BlackBerry 10 devices. I expect the Classic does better than the Z10 but then it's nice to have the extra GB of RAM.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    12-29-14 01:13 AM
62 123