Last night my Classic's touch screen became virtually unresponsive. A couple spots on the screen responded, but I couldn't navigate where I needed to go. Rebooting the phone did not help. Woke up this morning to the same thing. Later in the morning it got a bit better, and then it just developed a mind of its own.

Basically it started opening random text messages, making random phone calls, closing apps, opening apps...crazy stuff! I actually put it on the counter and showed my co-worker. We watched it going crazy for 5 minutes! I finally turned the phone off because I was worried it was either a virus, or at the very least would be calling and messaging people on me all day. Turned it on at the end of the day and it was still behaving the same erratic way.

I did a google search and found this YouTube video which is very similar to what I experienced:

I'm going to try and re-load the OS tonight. Hopefully that works. For the record, I bought the device from ShopBlackBerry right at launch in December. The double-typing issue quickly developed and got progressively worse. Finally I got a warranty replacement about 3 weeks ago, and until last night the device has been fantastic.

I will report back after the refresh of the OS, but if anyone has any words of wisdom in the meantime, I'm all ears.
    05-29-15 08:21 PM
    That is one crazy phone. It kinda reminds me of a girlfriend from several years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by double_fault; 05-30-15 at 06:49 AM.
    05-29-15 09:21 PM
    So the reload didn't do anything. Now it's bugging out in the initial setup. I don't have time for this! I just need my phone to work. Ugh. Tried to switch back to my Q10 but quickly was reminded that it uses micro SIM whereas the Classic uses nano SIM. And my old micro SIM is now deactivated in my carriers system. Guess it's off to the mall to get another SIM. So frustrated...
    05-29-15 09:26 PM
    Have you reload the OS?
    05-29-15 09:31 PM
    Have you reload the OS?
    Yes, through Link. It loaded an older version though. Tried to do the update but can't even get through the initial setup because the phone is tweaking so bad.
    05-29-15 09:33 PM
    I got exactly the same problem with my passport. It started 2 days ago. I thought it was a virus. Did full device scan with MaxSecure antivirus app. Found nothing . Did security wipe, reloaded os with link. Still got the same problem. I bought my passport 5 months ago here in Shanghai. Since all blackberry dealers in mainland China do not have a license to sell (I guess so at least), they will not take it back to replace it or repair it. They couldn`t care less. So, if somebody knows a solution other than software reload/refresh.... Thanks!!!!
    MrVeda likes this.
    05-30-15 12:21 AM
    The Classic does indeed have a mind of its own. I press a letter once and it presses it again on its own.

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    05-30-15 02:11 AM
    Did you do a security wipe? And start all over again?

When I watch that youtube film... it seems like the phone is on a retail/demonstrating mode... to show people what it can do..

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-30-15 04:34 AM
    Maybe its a server bug like 1,5 years ago with the sensors.

My Q10 and Z30 is fine...hope it stays so.

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-30-15 04:42 AM
    Warranty replacement comes in to mind

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    05-30-15 09:23 AM
    Did you do a security wipe? And start all over again?
    I re-installed the operating system. I didn't do a security wipe first though. Do you think that would make a difference? I'm doubtful it would.
    05-30-15 09:25 AM
    Warranty replacement comes in to mind

LeapSTR100-1/10.3......
    It'll probably come to that. I spent all my free time last night just trying to get everything going on my Q10 so I'd have a phone for the weekend. I'll be gone all weekend now, so I'll have to deal with BlackBerry next week. I just had it replaced a few weeks ago. Hopefully they're just as supportive this time around.
    05-30-15 09:27 AM
    It'll probably come to that. I spent all my free time last night just trying to get everything going on my Q10 so I'd have a phone for the weekend. I'll be gone all weekend now, so I'll have to deal with BlackBerry next week. I just had it replaced a few weeks ago. Hopefully they're just as supportive this time around.
    Good luck with that. I have been dealing with ShopBlackberry regarding double typing that started on my Classic and the guy wanted a log, then he wanted me to do a software reload on the line with him, which meant I had to call from another phone etc etc. So, I finally did a software reload and manually reinstalled everything onto my phone. Did not do a restore. And so far, so good. Crossing fingers. Last resort would be to deal with the rep again. Next time, I am buying thru Amazon.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 12:35 AM
    Yes, through Link. It loaded an older version though. Tried to do the update but can't even get through the initial setup because the phone is tweaking so bad.
    When I had my Q10 and did an OS reload, I could not get it to go past the initial setup and was stuck in an infinite loop without having an option to skip. If it does not work, what about using an autoloader with the most recent OS ?
    05-31-15 05:37 AM
    Hi Denny, should you get any information from BlackBerry about the source of the problem, it would be great if you could share it with me. I tried to get it fixed here in Shanghai yesterday with no result. Once again, this shop - like probably any other in mainland China - has no license to sell BlackBerry hence no warranty offer. Thanks in advance!
    05-31-15 09:25 PM
    You can just carefully slide the nanosim into Q10 and align it properly..this is what I do if I wanna switch btwn Classic and Q.

 Timeless White Q10 
    06-01-15 09:38 AM
    So the reload didn't do anything. Now it's bugging out in the initial setup. I don't have time for this! I just need my phone to work. Ugh. [...]Guess it's off to the mall to get another SIM. So frustrated...
    Every time I think it cannot get worse it gets worse with new problems/issues with this device.

This is how Blackberry loses the few customers that are still sticking with BB........
    It makes me laugh when they have the slogan that with a BB you get the job done.

I truly want to purchase a classic as I love my 9900 (**and hated the Q10 so I sold it after 4 weeks**) that I now use as a second phone next to my IP #6 , but it's pretty clear by now that the classic is NOT a stable 'business phone'. Like the TS, I don't have time to deal with all this BS and certainly don't want to spend days on and to get a newly purchased diveice to work how it should have worked in the first place.

I have until the release of the Blue colored Classic to decide if I still want to buy one contract free......but BB is making it VERY hard for customers to still care it seems.
    06-01-15 04:18 PM
    I have had this same thing happen to me multiple times. Sadly, although I love BlackBerry the classic is very poorly built, it lags all the time, screen becomes unresponsive and freezes.

The worst is when you're doing something important and this happens -- you feel like smashing your phone!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-15 07:22 PM
    Good luck with that. I have been dealing with ShopBlackberry regarding double typing that started on my Classic and the guy wanted a log, then he wanted me to do a software reload on the line with him, which meant I had to call from another phone etc etc
    Yeah I went through the same process (sending logs etc) when I had mine replaced last month with them. I thought it would be a hassle, but it actually wasn't that bad. The initial time to analyse the logs was slow (they told me 1-2 days and it took them about 5 to call me back), but after that it was great. They gave me the option of shipping the device back first OR taking a credit card hold from me and me waiting for them to send me a replacement device with a return mailer. I chose the latter option and everything went smooth and quick. I was also pleasantly surprised to see that it was handled by BlackBerry directly, and not Digital River.

I just called them again tonight to start the process on my replacement device. I couldn't generate a log from the phone (because I can't get out of the initial loop), but I was able to do it through Link and email it in. Now I just wait for the call. Hopefully they'll call with good news in a couple days. Until then I'm rocking my Q10 loud and proud.
    06-02-15 12:17 AM
    Every time I think it cannot get worse it gets worse with new problems/issues with this device.

This is how Blackberry loses the few customers that are still sticking with BB........
    I agree. I am the biggest BlackBerry advocate, but I'm extremely frustrated with the poor quality of the hardware over the past 4-5 years. Not to derail this, but I've had the double-typing issue on most of my recent BlackBerry devices ever since the 9780. Enough is enough BlackBerry!
    06-02-15 12:19 AM
    Hi Denny, should you get any information from BlackBerry about the source of the problem, it would be great if you could share it with me. I tried to get it fixed here in Shanghai yesterday with no result. Once again, this shop - like probably any other in mainland China - has no license to sell BlackBerry hence no warranty offer. Thanks in advance!
    I will definitely pass along my findings. There's a good chance they may just replace it though; in which case I'll probably never find out.
    06-02-15 12:20 AM
    So after going back and forth with BlackBerry for over a week, they finally agreed to swap it out again. I've had the replacement device for over a week and so far, so good. The new spacebar is hard to press, but it's great other than that. BlackBerry has been analysing my defective device for a few days now; I should have an answer early this week as to whether they're accepting the claim or not.
    06-20-15 07:20 PM