Seems like a bug for sure. I mean, right now on non toolbelt devices you can end a call using the on screen buttons, even if your device locked (but you have to remove it from your face first to trigger the proximity sensor, to turn on the screen).

I can't imagine it being too difficult to map the end button directly to that call end event.

Unless of course the issue is that they took a shortcut and mapped the end button to the $end.call.virtual.button('click'), which can only happen if the screen is on,.. which is why it first triggers a screen on event.

A question: does the virtual end call button show up during a call on the Classic?

Eh, whatever,.. I'll stick with my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 04:16 PM
    A question: does the virtual end call button show up during a call on the Classic?
    No it doesn't.
    I just found this: even without the screen being locked, when e.g. scrolling to page 2 or 3 of the phone's home screen, when pushing the end call button once, will not end the call. All that happens is it will reopen the calling app, and then a 2nd end call press will end the call.

I cannot find a logical explanation for why the call will not get terminated after one press only.
    12-21-14 04:23 PM
    No it doesn't.
    I just found this: even without the screen being locked, when e.g. scrolling to page 2 or 3 of the phone's home screen, when pushing the end call button once, will not end the call. All that happens is it will reopen the calling app, and then a 2nd end call press will end the call.

I cannot find a logical explanation for why the call will not get terminated after one press only.
    maybe to avoid of disconnecting the call by mistake when you multi talk while talking
    12-21-14 04:28 PM
    I just tested the following scenario:

• started a call
    • multitasked to a different app by swiping up
    • while being in the other app, locked the phone by pressing the lock button
    • then pressed the end call button.
    • lock screen turned on - but the phone stayed locked - there was no way to end the call, even by continuosly pressing the end call button.
    • then I discovered a tiny little popup at the top of the screen saying ' call active-tap here to return to call'
    • I tapped, the phone app opened, and then I could end the call with the call end button.
    • so 2 presses of the end button PLUS one touchscreen tap were needed to end a call !?!?

This is not nice at all. The end call button should work everywhere, in all scenarios, in the same way. If it has to be double press, then for god's sake yes, but also in the scenario that I just tested, please, and with no screen tapping involved.
    Holy moly, so it's like any other touchscreen phone? They better fix this. The button needs to end the call period, one click or two, it doesn't matter the number, but requiring anything on the screen is a TERRIBLE idea...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Vintage123 and ViaCassian like this.
    12-21-14 05:05 PM
    I agree. Not what I had in mind with the return of the physical end key.i guess I'll just stick with my z10 for awhile and see if they fix it

Posted from my z10 via cb 10
    12-21-14 05:29 PM
    Unfortunately, one exception discovered, as described in post #15.
    Yah, thanks for pointing that out, definitely going to bring this up in icanmakeitbetter because that is freakin' ridiculous...

12-21-14 06:23 PM
    Doesn't the call end automatically when the other person hangs up? It's like that on my Q10. I don't bother end the call most of the times because I know the phone will automatically end the call once the other party has ended the call.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 06:23 PM
    Doesn't the call end automatically when the other person hangs up? It's like that on my Q10. I don't bother end the call most of the times because I know the phone will automatically end the call once the other party has ended the call.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to never get on a phonecall with a person that looks at it in the same way as you do ;-)

Posted via CB10
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    12-21-14 06:56 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    This phone is being touted as "Classic." So what part of that does BlackBerry not get?!

Take the 9900, study it, get to know it well, and transfer every darned feature, as was, onto the Classic. That's the definition of Classic.

I was expecting negative posts about the new phone. That's normal. But not something as simple and 'crucial' as this.

Remember the "G" feature? Read an email, stop in middle, close it, then later come back, hit "G" and it would return to where you holding. Does the "Classic" do that?

Posted via CB10
    Where was it ever written that the Blackberry Classic should be defined as you mentioned? That's YOUR opinion only... Classic was planned iMO to incorporate the best of the NEW Blackberry OS experience ...while maintaining as many feasible or desired features and form factor of the iconic Bold 9900 phone... as could be reasonably be implemented.

It's not a clone!!

... But it will continue to improve via new software upgrades... Blackberry will continue to listen to feedback and improve as has been the case with OS 10 to date...

So Blackberry does get it...

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:23 PM
    Where was it ever written that the Blackberry Classic should be defined as you mentioned? That's YOUR opinion only... Classic was planned iMO to incorporate the best of the NEW Blackberry OS experience ...while maintaining as many feasible or desired features and form factor of the iconic Bold 9900 phone... as could be reasonably be implemented.

It's not a clone!!

... But it will continue to improve via new software upgrades... Blackberry will continue to listen to feedback and improve as has been the case with OS 10 to date...

So Blackberry does get it...

Posted via CB10
    Um, then why did they so glaringly change the name from Q20 to Classic!?

And if there "must" be changes and differences, at least leave the really successful and DESIRED features be.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 07:34 PM
    classic sounds better than q 20
    Xenolock likes this.
    12-21-14 08:16 PM

Remember the "G" feature? Read an email, stop in middle, close it, then later come back, hit "G" and it would return to where you holding. Does the "Classic" do that?

Posted via CB10
    For a BB10 device, when you are in the middle of that long email, you can just swipe from right bezel to left out of the HUB. Then you open an active frame or an app. From inside that app--while using it--you just do the 'Peek and Flow' swipe up then right. Or, hit the End Key, then hit the HUB icon or swipe to the right (or use the trackpad, however you like) .

Now you are back to that email, right where you left off.

Welcome to BB10--fluid and intuitive.

From a Z30
    Q10Bold likes this.
    12-21-14 10:42 PM
    How is this not making waves? How are people ok with this? We need to be vocal in bringing this issue to BB's attention. They are ending the icanmakeitbetter program, so now we have to resort to twitter and beta zone to hopefully get them to notice this issue. Please, every one, post this in all BB run mediums, the blackberryhelp twitter account, beta zone, everything. We need to be able to end calls with ZERO touch screen interface 100% of the time. NO EXCEPTIONS! Requiring touchscreen interface pretty much makes the call end button a decoration, because then it's exactly the same amount of attention and effort as with any device without the physical call end button...

In case anyone is confused, we are talking about if you're using speakerphone and you navigate away from the call screen, then the screen locks, in order to end the call from there, you need to press the call end button, THEN press an icon on the touchscreen, THEN press the call end button again... So in legacy devices it is a one-step process that doesn't require you to look at your phone at all, now it is 3 steps and require your attention to the touchscreen.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but that is absolutely 100% not acceptable and they better fix it in the next update. Whoever thought of that process needs to be fired because it seriously defies all logic...

12-23-14 09:41 AM
    Yeah...

I don't mind at all double pressing End to hang up, but I use speakerphone + minimize phone app all the time, and would not be cool with pecking at the screen to hang up when there's already a dedicated button for it. I do that already and it sucks.

From a Z30
    southlander likes this.
    12-23-14 09:50 AM
    Yeah...

I don't mind at all double pressing End to hang up, but I use speakerphone + minimize phone app all the time, and would not be cool with pecking at the screen to hang up when there's already a dedicated button for it. I do that already and it sucks.

From a Z30
    EXACTLY, I don't get how there isn't a big hub-bub about this on the beta zone discussion or their twitter account. We really need to start being more vocal to get these kind of improvements instead of being so "Oh well, what can we do?" about it all...
    12-23-14 09:56 AM
    Holy moly, so it's like any other touchscreen phone? They better fix this. The button needs to end the call period, one click or two, it doesn't matter the number, but requiring anything on the screen is a TERRIBLE idea...

For this exception to hold true the user has to manually lock the phone...if the user is on a phone call the phone should not lock itself and pressing the END key first time will bring phone to foreground (if it's not already there) and second press will end the call. If phone is already in the foreground then pressing END a single time ends the call.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4295315) likes this.
    12-23-14 12:17 PM
    For this exception to hold true the user has to manually lock the phone...if the user is on a phone call the phone should not lock itself and pressing the END key first time will bring phone to foreground (if it's not already there) and second press will end the call. If phone is already in the foreground then pressing END a single time ends the call.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure? I use a password lock and it automatically locks after a certain time period. On my Q10 I have this happen to me all of the time where I have to unlock the screen after being on the phone for a while in order to end the call. So are you sure that will never happen in this? I haven't been able to use the phone for calls yet, but I'll definitely test that out as the first thing when I do have it set up to use... Thanks for the info

12-23-14 12:43 PM
    If you have the Hold to Stay Awake option on in Advanced Interactions in 10.3.1 the phone should stay on and not lock while you are holding it. However, I don't know if that feature could be turned off on an Enterprise network, and if you set the phone down and talk while doing something else it could still lock on you. Also, if you turn on speakerphone to hear in loud environments and then lock the screen to prevent face-dialing that could still be an issue.

I don't have a Classic yet so I can't test but am interested in hearing about it from someone who has one.

From a Z30
    12-23-14 12:52 PM
    If you have the Hold to Stay Awake option on in Advanced Interactions in 10.3.1 the phone should stay on and not lock while you are holding it. However, I don't know if that feature could be turned off on an Enterprise network, and if you set the phone down and talk while doing something else it could still lock on you. Also, if you turn on speakerphone to hear in loud environments and then lock the screen to prevent face-dialing that could still be an issue.

I don't have a Classic yet so I can't test but am interested in hearing about it from someone who has one.

From a Z30
    Definitely, the moment I get the holster and can use the phone as my daily driver, I'll activate the nano sim and that will be the very first thing I test out because that is huge...

12-23-14 01:02 PM
    I'm almost positive that's the case, but if it's not it will be fixed I can guarantee you that. Will test it later when I have access to my Classic again.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 02:11 PM
    I'm almost positive that's the case, but if it's not it will be fixed I can guarantee you that. Will test it later when I have access to my Classic again.

Posted via CB10
    Cool, keep us updated. I really hope it's not as dumb as it sounds like it could be...

12-23-14 02:57 PM
    waiting for the wife to come home then I will test call ending
    12-23-14 03:45 PM
    How is this not making waves? How are people ok with this? We need to be vocal in bringing this issue to BB's attention. They are ending the icanmakeitbetter program, so now we have to resort to twitter and beta zone to hopefully get them to notice this issue. Please, every one, post this in all BB run mediums, the blackberryhelp twitter account, beta zone, everything. We need to be able to end calls with ZERO touch screen interface 100% of the time. NO EXCEPTIONS! Requiring touchscreen interface pretty much makes the call end button a decoration, because then it's exactly the same amount of attention and effort as with any device without the physical call end button...

In case anyone is confused, we are talking about if you're using speakerphone and you navigate away from the call screen, then the screen locks, in order to end the call from there, you need to press the call end button, THEN press an icon on the touchscreen, THEN press the call end button again... So in legacy devices it is a one-step process that doesn't require you to look at your phone at all, now it is 3 steps and require your attention to the touchscreen.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!

Sorry, but that is absolutely 100% not acceptable and they better fix it in the next update. Whoever thought of that process needs to be fired because it seriously defies all logic...

not sure about that one
    12-23-14 03:47 PM
    would be nice to be able to do some testing with other while being on face time from computer....
    12-23-14 03:48 PM
    I always hit the end key multiple times on every previous BlackBerry anyhow. Hitting twice doesn't bother me one bit.
    12-23-14 04:11 PM
84 1234