A quick search didn't show any results, so I thought I start a new thread to discuss this.

After 2 days of usage, I found the following issue with ending phone calls on the Classic:

when a call is active, and the screen locks, either by itself, after the screen lock timer kicked in, or by manually locking it by pushing the lock button, you cannot end the call by pushing the end button once. You have to hit it twice. Once, to 'unlock' the screen. A 2nd time, to end the call.

If you don't lock the screen, before placing the phone on your ear, the screen will also lock, but unlock instantly, once the phone gets removed from ear. Therefore only one end call push is needed in this case.

However, in situations when using a Bluetooth headset (like I always do), or when placing the phone on a table (eg. for a concall with speakers on), the 'regular' screen lock will kick in, and end call will require 2 pushes.

I think that this was potentially overlooked by BB, as getting the physicall end button back, and not having to look at the phone and to being sure a call will be ended when pushing this button was one of the features that myself (and many others?) were looking forward to most, on the Classic. I don't think that this was done on purpose, conscioulsy.

I can't remember how this was in BBOS (and don't want to power up my 9900 just to find out), but don't think that 2 pushes were ever needed, regardless of the screen being locked or not, and in which way.

Actually, finding this out, leaves me quite stunned. I hope that there either is a setting somewhere that I overlooked, to change this behavior, and that someone will help me with that, or alternatively, for BB to fix this asap.
    Chrisy and flyingsolid like this.
    12-21-14 07:29 AM
    I think is BB10 fault. I was waiting for Classic for those two buttons but I think nothing has changed from bb10 touch devices.
    12-21-14 08:14 AM
    Well, the delay of Classic rollout was justified by BB with having to refine BB10 OS to make it fit the toolbelt better, if I remember correctly.
    Ending a call under any circumstance, when pushing the end call button once, would have been such a neccessary refinement, imho.
    12-21-14 08:23 AM
    +100 definitely the single most important feature of the toolbelt. Let me ask you, does double pressing the end call button guarantee to end the call every time? If so, at least we have that, but if what you say is true we definitely have to bring that up to BB to get fixed. Time to hit icanmakeitbetter...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-21-14 08:27 AM
    It's a religious debate of epic proportions...on one hand you had people accidentally hanging up phone calls a lot on BBOS (wooooops!) because of the single key press when they were attempting to multi-task, and on the other hand you have a second key press, but some assurance you're not going to accidentally kill the call...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by c.bryant34; 12-21-14 at 09:14 AM.
    12-21-14 08:50 AM
    And no, this was not overlooked. This was done intentionally for the reasons stated above.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:51 AM
    This thread is timely. While on the phone with my carrier yesterday, I accidentally hung up on them using my 9900 because I hit the end button while navigating the home screen to close an app. I was ticked because just getting though took me almost an hour!

I wouldn't mind the press twice feature in certain scenarios ie. home screen lock and while outside the phone app. Seems like it would help prevent what I went through yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 08:57 AM
    Ha. And everyone wanted those buttons back because it's faster than 2 touches. Now you have to hit the button twice. No difference in speed.
    12-21-14 09:04 AM
    +100 definitely the single most important feature of the toolbelt. Let me ask you, does double pressing the end call button guarantee to end the call every time? If so, at least we have that, but if what you say is true we definitely have to bring that up to BB to get fixed. Time to hit icanmakeitbetter...

I tested it many times and hitting it twice always ended the call, no exception. THe issue is the inconsistency - there are scenarios when 1 press is sufficient, while others need 2.
    Will definitely take a look at icanmakeitbetter.....
    12-21-14 09:49 AM
    And no, this was not overlooked. This was done intentionally for the reasons stated above.

Posted via CB10
    This makes no sense.
    If it was intentional, it would ALWAYS be either the one or the other way. But not 1 press in scenario A and 2 presses in scenario B.
    So definitely a bug, inconsistency, flaw or overlooked, or whatever else one wants to call it.
    12-21-14 09:53 AM
    Ha. And everyone wanted those buttons back because it's faster than 2 touches. Now you have to hit the button twice. No difference in speed.
    Not sure who this "everyone" was, but that's not really the reason. It's faster than swiping, then possibly re-opening a phone app and then re-touching a screen (which requires up to 3 independent touches and releases. With a button you can just keep your finger on the surface and apply pressure to make a click twice.
    12-21-14 09:57 AM
    I've always squeezed a few times on the hangup button on the 9900 just to be sure. Still easy to do since you don't need to lift and retouch, just rest finger over the button and squeeze at least twice.
    12-21-14 09:59 AM
    This thread is timely. While on the phone with my carrier yesterday, I accidentally hung up on them using my 9900 because I hit the end button while navigating the home screen to close an app. I was ticked because just getting though took me almost an hour!

I wouldn't mind the press twice feature in certain scenarios ie. home screen lock and while outside the phone app. Seems like it would help prevent what I went through yesterday!

Posted via CB10
    I personally would prefer single press to end call, regardless of which scenario. In particular, as there are more methods to multitask now in BB10 (swipe up) as in BBOS.
    However, if they make it 2 presses in EVERY scenario, fine. I just don't like inconsistent operations of a phone, where I have to think of which scenario I'm in first, before deciding how to perform a specific action.
    Yes, I could educate myself to ALWAYS double press, but I think this would be more cumbersome and less speedy compared to what people expected from the return of the toolbelt.
    And, who knows which unwanted actions the 2nd press of the end call button might cause, in a scenario when the first press already ended a call.
    ViaCassian likes this.
    12-21-14 10:05 AM
    Locked or unlocked, hitting it twice is always going to end the call right? So why not just hit it twice all the time? Even if one press will end unlocked, hit it twice instead for consistencies sake, problem solved?

Edit: saw the post above, fair enough
    Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:13 AM
    I just tested the following scenario:

• started a call
    • multitasked to a different app by swiping up
    • while being in the other app, locked the phone by pressing the lock button
    • then pressed the end call button.
    • lock screen turned on - but the phone stayed locked - there was no way to end the call, even by continuosly pressing the end call button.
    • then I discovered a tiny little popup at the top of the screen saying ' call active-tap here to return to call'
    • I tapped, the phone app opened, and then I could end the call with the call end button.
    • so 2 presses of the end button PLUS one touchscreen tap were needed to end a call !?!?

This is not nice at all. The end call button should work everywhere, in all scenarios, in the same way. If it has to be double press, then for god's sake yes, but also in the scenario that I just tested, please, and with no screen tapping involved.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-21-14 10:13 AM
    Locked or unlocked, hitting it twice is always going to end the call right? So why not just hit it twice all the time? Even if one press will end unlocked, hit it twice instead for consistencies sake, problem solved?

Edit: saw the post above, fair enough
    Posted via CB10
    You didn't read my previous post, did you?

Edit: saw your edit, fair enough
    12-21-14 10:15 AM
    You didn't read my previous post, did you?
    Like I said in my edit afterwards, I saw it after and realized as such.. sorry about that, hahaha

Posted via CB10
    12-21-14 10:16 AM
    I really hope this gets resolved. Clearly we shouldn't have to press End twice to end a call. I'm still using a Motorola Q9c (Windows Mobile) in great anticipation of the Classic and my 2008 Motorola only needs 1 End press from any screen. Hopefully they will sort this out for the Classic. I can't imagine why you would have to press the End button twice when connected to a bluetooth headset, for example. I'm on a good 20 calls a day with my bluetooth headset so I'm hoping this gets resolved. It's clearly not about the pain of having to press the End button twice - it's about knowing 100% for sure that the call actually ended (ie. Did I press the End button once or twice - and did it register properly both times?).
    ViaCassian likes this.
    12-21-14 11:41 AM
    I really hope this gets resolved. Clearly we shouldn't have to press End twice to end a call. I'm still using a Motorola Q9c (Windows Mobile) in great anticipation of the Classic and my 2008 Motorola only needs 1 End press from any screen. Hopefully they will sort this out for the Classic. I can't imagine why you would have to press the End button twice when connected to a bluetooth headset, for example. I'm on a good 20 calls a day with my bluetooth headset so I'm hoping this gets resolved.
    Clarification:
    When a Bluetooth headset is connected, the end call button OF THE HEADSET works after single press already, even if the phone got locked manually. When ending the call on the phone is wanted/needed, end call has to be pressed twice, after the screen locked by itself or manually, even though a headset was connected.

It's clearly not about the pain of having to press the End button twice - it's about knowing 100% for sure that the call actually ended (ie. Did I press the End button once or twice - and did it register properly both times?).
    Absolutely, this is exactly the main issue.
    12-21-14 12:02 PM
    This phone is being touted as "Classic." So what part of that does BlackBerry not get?!

Take the 9900, study it, get to know it well, and transfer every darned feature, as was, onto the Classic. That's the definition of Classic.

I was expecting negative posts about the new phone. That's normal. But not something as simple and 'crucial' as this.

Remember the "G" feature? Read an email, stop in middle, close it, then later come back, hit "G" and it would return to where you holding. Does the "Classic" do that?

Posted via CB10
    outlib, Johberry and VeryBumpy like this.
    12-21-14 12:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    LMAO! we should ask GE to make a land line phone that you gotta hang up twice.
    12-21-14 12:37 PM
    Hmmm....after some more testing and contemplating, here the obvious:

When multitasking, ie opening another app while a call is on, the end call button is supposed to serve 2 potential purposes: 1. to minimize the app and go back to the home screen, and/or 2. to end the call.

So I understand that a design selection had to be made: will the button behave like 1. or 2. in the opened app?

I guess it was decided to have the button react in standard mode, ie to close the active app first, before dealing with the active call. I also think this was chosen to not confuse legacy users, who might not (yet?) be overly familiar with alternative BB10 options, like swiping up, rather than pressing end call.

These users would otherwise be requested to decide: am I in a call, while working in a different app? If yes, I will have to swipe up to minimize the app. If no, I could alternatively press the end call button to minimize.

I think this would not get appreciated - and slowly, I'm beginning to understand the design choices that had to be made. I think this is the crux of trying to squeeze an OS that was developed without having a toolbelt in mind, onto a 'classic' keyboard format!

So while right now, I don't have an idea for an immediate solution, I still believe that when the screen got locked, manually or by timer, ONE SINGLE PRESS of the call end button should end a call. And this should be doable in the software. No excuses.
    ViaCassian, outlib and Johberry like this.
    12-21-14 01:24 PM
    I tested it many times and hitting it twice always ended the call, no exception. THe issue is the inconsistency - there are scenarios when 1 press is sufficient, while others need 2.
    Will definitely take a look at icanmakeitbetter.....
    Well, no biggie if 2 will end every time, then just get used to double clicking the end button, still doable without looking, unlike a touch control.

12-21-14 02:17 PM
    This phone is being touted as "Classic." So what part of that does BlackBerry not get?!

Take the 9900, study it, get to know it well, and transfer every darned feature, as was, onto the Classic.
    This Classic is ladened with omissions and compromises regarding toolbelt and trackpad implementation.

It's a good first showing by BB's UI design team but can only pray they are still working on improving it.
    ViaCassian and anon(4295315) like this.
    12-21-14 03:51 PM
    Well, no biggie if 2 will end every time, then just get used to double clicking the end button, still doable without looking, unlike a touch control.

Unfortunately, one exception discovered, as described in post #15.
    12-21-14 03:54 PM
84 123 ...