I don't think it's deliberate either. But BlackBerry have failed to knowledge the problem 2 years back with the Q10. If they had come to realization and fixed it then, the problem wouldn't be this widespread to the Passport and Classic.

I don't think it's quite that deliberate. It's simply that the keyboards are built cheaply. I posted a picture in a couple of threads which shows how delicate they are internally.

Some cheaply built stuff can last for freakishly long lives. But on the whole, failure will be common.

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    05-05-15 02:14 PM
    I don't think it's deliberate either. But BlackBerry have failed to knowledge the problem 2 years back with the Q10. If they had come to realization and fixed it then, the problem wouldn't be this widespread to the Passport and Classic.
    I'm pretty sure Blackberry knows, but has made the call to stay silent, i.e., not advertize that they released a defective design. Instead, they likely crunched the numbers and came to the decision that quietly doing warranty repairs in the background would cost the company far less than giving the press something else to pick on Blackberry about, i.e., shoddy design / construction.

Blackberry can't afford the PR hit, and I'm sure that's the bottom line on their decision to remain quiet.

And if you think about it, if only 50% of all Q10, Passport and Classic users experience this, that still leaves the vast majority of Blackberry owners (so 50% of all pkb owners, and 100% of all vkb owners) blissfully unaware that the issue even exists! This contains the hit to reputation, only to those who are affected.
    mwrdukberry likes this.
    05-05-15 02:32 PM
27 12