After digging through the 10.3 leak files, I found some interesting details. While the Khan seems like a repackaged Q10, the Classic seems to be paired with the Z3/Z30 devices in the radio files as well as graphical assets. We may actually see the S4 Pro that was used for the Z30 in the Classic.

mtp8960ab

manitobana
    manitobarow
    aristo
    astro
    anisio
    athos
    classicatt
    aramis
    classicvzw
    classicrow
    classicna
    astrox

I spotted something interesting with the Setup app. There are four PNG format icons for it, each named after the respective device.

Classic Detail Findings - 10.3 Leak-setup_icon.png

icon_A_Classic_Manitoba.png (Z30/Classic/Z3)
    5" 16:9 (Classic - 3.5" 1:1)
    104 x 104 px

icon_L.png (Z10)
    4.2" 5:3
    120 x 120 px

icon_N_R_Khan.png (Q10/Q5/P'9983)
    3.1" 1:1
    99 x 99 px

icon_W.png (Passport)
    4.5" 1:1
    156 x 156 px

The Classic's icon is paired with the Z30 and Z3 which have larger displays. This could just be due to the 720x720 display being stretched bigger from the Q10/Q5 and the compensation for the lower pixel density.
    NoLimitz80, Anatomy, Matty and 5 others like this.
    08-22-14 11:47 AM
    Nice find

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 11:51 AM
    I'm hoping this is true. It's not "killer" specs, but I definitely don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars to "upgrade" to a phone with the exact same internals as my Q10... So even though it's a little bump, it's definitely welcome for me.
    08-22-14 07:51 PM
    I'm hoping this is true. It's not "killer" specs, but I definitely don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars to "upgrade" to a phone with the exact same internals as my Q10... So even though it's a little bump, it's definitely welcome for me.
    It's a very good sign that it's listed under the 8960AB with the Z30 while the Khan, Q10, Z10, Q5 etc are listed under the 8960. There's some distinction there. I'm less worried now.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 08:02 PM
    Thanks for digging

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    08-22-14 08:02 PM
    Thanks for digging
    No need to thank me. I'm super excited for it so I had to do some digging.

The 10.3.1 beta sdk will hit this month and there's not a lot left. There will be a lot more info on the Classic with that release.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 09:26 PM
    So basically what we are looking at for the Classic is

720 x 720 screen
    1.7ghz dual core with Adreno 306 / 320 GPU
    2 - 3GB ram
    16gb Storage
    8mp rear camera
    2mp front camera

I think this would be a good upgrade for all Q10 / Q5 owners and BBOS upgrade people

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 SQR100-2
    08-24-14 05:10 AM

720 x 720 screen
    2 - 3GB ram
    16gb Storage
    8mp rear camera
    2mp front camera

I think this would be a good upgrade for all Q10 / Q5 owners and BBOS upgrade people
    Sounds about right. No certainty on the camera but I imagine overall specs more closely tied to the Z30. I was hoping for slightly better in that area, but probably won't see the Passport's camera.

A few other benefits over the Q10 are the obvious increase in display size to 3.5" and toolbelt, what looks like dual speakers at the bottom with a bottom mounted usb (yes!), a 2500mAh integrated battery, and a thinner body.

One downside is, I've heard HDMI may be omitted.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-24-14 07:02 AM
    Sounds about right. No certainty on the camera but I imagine overall specs more closely tied to the Z30. I was hoping for slightly better in that area, but probably won't see the Passport's camera.

A few other benefits over the Q10 are the obvious increase in display size to 3.5" and toolbelt, what looks like dual speakers at the bottom with a bottom mounted usb (yes!), a 2500mAh integrated battery, and a thinner body.

One downside is, I've heard HDMI may be omitted.

Posted via CB10
    They might have went the same way the Passport did, hdmi out is gone, but the usb port is actually a slimport, where through an adapter it would function the same as a hdmi out.

And I also would have liked a better camera, and also wireless charging. But oh well...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-24-14 11:03 AM
    All this helps but still concern about the RAM. I need 3g RAM. I hope they (BB) fixes the BBM in BB10 10.3 so there is multiple sharing like in OS7. I don't want a Q10 with a tool belt that is called a Classic
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-27-14 at 04:53 PM.
    08-24-14 11:16 AM
    With awful specs like that, it better be priced accordingly. I guess waiting a little while is good as well because blackberry phones drop in value very quickly. Its ludicrous of Rim go price them like they do given bb's reputation.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 12:54 PM
    With awful specs like that, it better be priced accordingly. I guess waiting a little while is good as well because blackberry phones drop in value very quickly. Its ludicrous of Rim go price them like they do given bb's reputation.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously. Enough with the "awful specs" stuff. It's a phone with a tiny *** screen, with a keyboard and a gd trackpad. You want high end specs? For what? Some 3d spreadsheets? Some virtual power points? Maybe do some hardcore keyboard short cutting? You want cheap devices, you use last year's specs. And for the classic, that makes total sense. I have a z30 and it works like butter, and I will nab a classic and will be just as happy.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 01:35 PM
    Seriously. Enough with the "awful specs" stuff. It's a phone with a tiny *** screen, with a keyboard and a gd trackpad. You want high end specs? For what? Some 3d spreadsheets? Some virtual power points? Maybe do some hardcore keyboard short cutting? You want cheap devices, you use last year's specs. And for the classic, that makes total sense. I have a z30 and it works like butter, and I will nab a classic and will be just as happy.

Posted via CB10
    High end CPU's help a lot more than you might think. Faster cpu would allow for faster startup times, app load times, improve camera quality (post processing), smoother scrolling, less lag and jank in general. And don't say lag doesn't exist on BlackBerry 10, cause it definitely does.
    08-24-14 02:03 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but they are awful specs considering what BlackBerry will charge for it. $699 off contract to start. Quote me on that because I guarantee it will happen.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 02:17 PM

720 x 720 screen
    2 - 3GB ram
    16gb Storage
    8mp rear camera
    2mp front camera

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 SQR100-2
    Damn man, I hope it's not 8MP. it's 2014, I know it's classic but since it's "supposed to be classic" it shouldn't have to have lower specs.
    With all those social apps, we need to take more and more pictures.
    I mean I don't mind if pictures quality were as good as iPhone5s.
    08-24-14 02:48 PM
    I could care less about the camera, except taking photos at an accident scene. For me it's a communication tool, no fb, no twitter, no social media. Talk, text, email, sports, stocks and nasa app. But, that's just me☺
    08-24-14 03:43 PM
    I agree with both sides of the argument. Even the specs of the Q10 run great for me so it's not the end of the world if we see Z30 specs. On the other hand, I would like this phone to be future proof and a better camera wouldn't hurt.

I think an important piece will be price point....and I highly doubt it'll be 699. I imagine it'll be more of a fleet device like the 9900 re-release and be sold for less than expected.

Posted via CB10
    ivanshen and Frehley like this.
    08-24-14 03:56 PM
    High end CPU's help a lot more than you might think. Faster cpu would allow for faster startup times, app load times, improve camera quality (post processing), smoother scrolling, less lag and jank in general. And don't say lag doesn't exist on BlackBerry 10, cause it definitely does.
    Dude I work in app development for a major retailer. I'm aware of the benefits of better specs. What I'm saying is that you are talking about a device who proudly focuses on communication and productivity and the z30 specs will MORE than account for anything you need in that category. If you want HTC or Samsung flagship specs, buy a passport. That's why it exists. If you want a smaller productive device that's also competitive in price, then get a classic. If you want a classic with a quad core processor to power a 720x720 screen for "faster boot times" for an affordable price...just give up because that can't happen for an affordable price. Also nobody other than the 10 people reading this thread would pay for wasted power like that. The rest of the modern world is no longer worrying about smoother scrolling. And if they were they wouldn't come back to a keyboarded blackberry to get it.

And yes blackberry will likley price it wrong. But that's a different thing entirely.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:19 PM
    Dude I work in app development for a major retailer. I'm aware of the benefits of better specs. What I'm saying is that you are talking about a device who proudly focuses on communication and productivity and the z30 specs will MORE than account for anything you need in that category. If you want HTC or Samsung flagship specs, buy a passport. That's why it exists. If you want a smaller productive device that's also competitive in price, then get a classic. If you want a classic with a quad core processor to power a 720x720 screen for "faster boot times" for an affordable price...just give up because that can't happen for an affordable price. Also nobody other than the 10 people reading this thread would pay for wasted power like that. The rest of the modern world is no longer worrying about smoother scrolling. And if they were they wouldn't come back to a keyboarded blackberry to get it.

And yes blackberry will likley price it wrong. But that's a different thing entirely.

Posted via CB10
    Spending less time waiting for apps to load, waiting for the phone to boot up, waiting for other things to process, all helps in productivity...

08-24-14 04:28 PM
    Spending less time waiting for apps to load, waiting for the phone to boot up, waiting for other things to process, all helps in productivity...

Slagman were talking about milliseconds at this point. The cost to value ratio is not worth it for a quad core processor on a biz phone for a few extra milliseconds of app launch time that nobody in the mainstream market would notice, understand, or appreciate.

Like I said before. The rest of the world has moved on from terms like "boot time" and"multitasking" and "scroll speeds" like 3 years ago. If you are so picky about the boot times of your phone, and your current BB10 device is not cutting it, then maybe you should go with another brand or get a passport. BlackBerry is not going head to head with LG and Samsung to secure flagship grade quad core processors to put out a $600 keyboarded trackpaded design, with a 3.5 inch screen. It's not worth it for BlackBerry , it's not worth it for the mainstream customer nor the carriers.

The classic is a phone fine tuned ( and hopefully priced) for the biz customer who just wants to do biz type work. There's a lot of them still and blackberry is targeting them for a decent upgrade form the 3 year old bold. Not the galaxy s5

Posted via CB10
    08-24-14 04:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    Try opening a file with 600 jpgs or use FaceBook and Twitter for 2 hours. That will eat up the RAM.
    08-24-14 06:29 PM
    I still don't know why the Foxconn edition will have the same specs as the Q10 and Q20 (you bb calls it a Classic). Are we going to pay $300 extra for a stainless bezel?
    08-24-14 06:33 PM
    Slagman were talking about milliseconds at this point. The cost to value ratio is not worth it for a quad core processor on a biz phone for a few extra milliseconds of app launch time that nobody in the mainstream market would notice, understand, or appreciate.

Like I said before. The rest of the world has moved on from terms like "boot time" and"multitasking" and "scroll speeds" like 3 years ago. If you are so picky about the boot times of your phone, and your current BB10 device is not cutting it, then maybe you should go with another brand or get a passport. BlackBerry is not going head to head with LG and Samsung to secure flagship grade quad core processors to put out a $600 keyboarded trackpaded design, with a 3.5 inch screen. It's not worth it for BlackBerry , it's not worth it for the mainstream customer nor the carriers.

The classic is a phone fine tuned ( and hopefully priced) for the biz customer who just wants to do biz type work. There's a lot of them still and blackberry is targeting them for a decent upgrade form the 3 year old bold. Not the galaxy s5

Posted via CB10
    I never said that I'm always thinking about it. And we're not at all talking about milliseconds. Some apps take anywhere from 15 - 30 seconds to load. Cutting those load times in half might not sound like a big deal, but when you're trying to pull some data in real time and you're left standing there staring at your phone like an ***** for half a minute, it looks bad and slows things down.

But you know, even if you just pretend none of this happens and a few seconds never hurts anyone, I just can never wrap my mind around the concept of "good enough." I know I'm in the minority to have this mindset, but I honestly just can't really grasp the concept. It's like in school, even if a "core" class required a C or better to pass, I will never settle for that C... But I think I'm probably the only one like that.

It's like when I'm building my PC, I never make it so the specs are "just" good enough to accomplish what I need it to do right then. I always make them a bit over powered so they are future proof, and so far, that's worked out, I only upgrade my PC once every 4.5 - 5 years and can play latest games at the highest graphics settings all of the time. Toward the end of the 4.5 - 5 years is when I finally start to encounter a few games where at the highest graphics settings they are pushing my hardware. Before that, my PC will be running at far below its max to accomplish that.

And in terms of a "professional" device, a newer, more efficient CPU actually can be more power efficient, meaning better battery life. Kind of like how a Toyota Prius pushing itself to its limits will get worse gas mileage than a V8 car matching the Prius' speed...

I do believe that our BB10 devices are constantly being pushed to their limits. The constant heating up of the devices kind of indicates that...

08-24-14 06:42 PM
    I never said that I'm always thinking about it. And we're not at all talking about milliseconds. Some apps take anywhere from 15 - 30 seconds to load. Cutting those load times in half might not sound like a big deal, but when you're trying to pull some data in real time and you're left standing there staring at your phone like an ***** for half a minute, it looks bad and slows things down.

But you know, even if you just pretend none of this happens and a few seconds never hurts anyone, I just can never wrap my mind around the concept of "good enough." I know I'm in the minority to have this mindset, but I honestly just can't really grasp the concept. It's like in school, even if a "core" class required a C or better to pass, I will never settle for that C... But I think I'm probably the only one like that.

It's like when I'm building my PC, I never make it so the specs are "just" good enough to accomplish what I need it to do right then. I always make them a bit over powered so they are future proof, and so far, that's worked out, I only upgrade my PC once every 4.5 - 5 years and can play latest games at the highest graphics settings all of the time. Toward the end of the 4.5 - 5 years is when I finally start to encounter a few games where at the highest graphics settings they are pushing my hardware. Before that, my PC will be running at far below its max to accomplish that.

And in terms of a "professional" device, a newer, more efficient CPU actually can be more power efficient, meaning better battery life. Kind of like how a Toyota Prius pushing itself to its limits will get worse gas mileage than a V8 car matching the Prius' speed...

I do believe that our BB10 devices are constantly being pushed to their limits. The constant heating up of the devices kind of indicates that...

And I think you summed up the point here. You are looking solely from the consumer point of view not the biz side. "Good enough " in terms of the classic will be the difference between releasing a successful unit or not. You want to add a quad core (bigger battery to compensate) more ram and all the bells and whistles so that you don't slowdown on Facebook or heat up when doing stuff? Fine. It'll cost 200 extra a device.

Guess what your enterprise IT department would say to that? Right. They will stick to their 3 year old bolds, as we pat ourselves on the back because our device stays cool using Twitter. Another blackberry fail, and closer and closer to no more devices.

Blackberry isn't Samsung. They aren't making a device for every niche market, and they can't afford to be wrong. You get 2 choices. The passport for the crazy high end, or the "good enough" classic for the mainstream.

Personally. I'd rather have a practical phone that's good enough than an awkward phone that boots faster. But that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    JGoodard, ibpluto and Mangelhaft like this.
    08-24-14 06:59 PM
    And I think you summed up the point here. You are looking solely from the consumer point of view not the biz side. "Good enough " in terms of the classic will be the difference between releasing a successful unit or not. You want to add a quad core (bigger battery to compensate) more ram and all the bells and whistles so that you don't slowdown on Facebook or heat up when doing stuff? Fine. It'll cost 200 extra a device.

Guess what your enterprise IT department would say to that? Right. They will stick to their 3 year old bolds, as we pat ourselves on the back because our device stays cool using Twitter. Another blackberry fail, and closer and closer to no more devices.

Blackberry isn't Samsung. They aren't making a device for every niche market, and they can't afford to be wrong. You get 2 choices. The passport for the crazy high end, or the "good enough" classic for the mainstream.

Personally. I'd rather have a practical phone that's good enough than an awkward phone that boots faster. But that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure all of the businesses using iphones are doing it to save money. Just saying...

08-24-14 07:03 PM
87 123 ...