First thing first, this is not a hate or flame thread. Just one persons opinion on the Classic.

I was really looking forward to give the Classic a shot. I have the Passport as my daily driver and was planning on switching back and forth between the two just to keep things fresh.

I picked up the Classic outright from Rogers Wireless. Got home, turned it on and started to play. Right away I was amazed at how great it felt in my hands. Holding the PP for so long I had gotten used to a wide device. The Classic just feels so natural in your hands! This was ALMOST a good enough reason for me to keep it, almost.

Honestly, other then the comfortable hold, I wasn't able to find anything else that I was enjoying about the Classic.

I have gotten used to BB10, and I enjoy it. Great, smooth OS. I was finding that the toolbelt has absolutely no place in BB10. I am sorry, I get that this is supposed to be a transition from the 9900 to BB10, but if you can't figure out BB10 without a toolbelt, then you are lost on many other levels!

Quality control is another issue for me here. I am not sure who exactly is building devices for BlackBerry right now, Foxconn is it? Anyways, with the keyboard back light on my Passport there is a bit of a light leak. Pretty much every other Passport owner has this from what I have read. On the Classic, I feel like I could have used it as a source of a flashlight. (Some exaggeration) On a serious note though, there was a lot of light creeping through the keyboard. So much that it was quite distracting while typing in bed. Call me OCD or whatever, but I am cheap with my money and prefer that it be spent on quality products.

Also, why the HE:LL wouldn't they illuminate the trackpad??!!? I wish I could have gotten a picture of everything lit but the trackpad. It does not look appealing at all. It throws off the whole flow and design of the toolbelt.

There are a few more little quams I had with the Classic. You could call my dislikes shallow or obsessive, sure. Personally if they are trying to convert diehards over from the great device that is the 9900, I don't see how this device is going to stand up to the battles of time like the 9900 did.

Once again, this is just my opinion. Opinions are like As'sholes, everyone has them. Needless to say, the device is going to be returned to Rogers and I will wait for another device to swap back and forth from.

TLDR: Bought the Classic, didn't like it due to personal reasons (toolbelt, quality control) and returned it Rogers. Better luck next time.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:35 AM
    Fair take. I also questioned the existence of the toolbelt/trackpad and got flamed for it... so don't worry.

Did you ever have the q10? I really like my q10 but I'm attracted to the larger screen of the classic. However I don't like the toolbelt or trackpad... I get why they used them but I don't like them.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 09:52 AM
    Fair take. I also questioned the existence of the toolbelt/trackpad and got flamed for it... so don't worry.

Did you ever have the q10? I really like my q10 but I'm attracted to the larger screen of the classic. However I don't like the toolbelt or trackpad... I get why they used them but I don't like them.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I rocked the Q10 for about 4 months. It was a great device but I went through "phase" where I was against BlackBerry for PB issues. So I said F that and made a trip to Android for a bit.
    But yeah, the Q10 is a great device. I regret not holding onto mine. A Q10 design with just a bigger screen would be a great idea. Hopefully we get good news whenever BlackBerry comes out with their design road map.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 10:27 AM
    Even if the trackpad is redundant, I'd love to have it because touching the screen for me just isn't appealing. I appreciate the intuitive, webos like operation of BB10, but I have to change grip slightly to use some of the touch features and it sometimes interrupts the "flow" of use.
    01-10-15 10:43 AM
    Also, why the HE:LL wouldn't they illuminate the trackpad??!!? I wish I could have gotten a picture of everything lit but the trackpad. It does not look appealing at all. It throws off the whole flow and design of the toolbelt.
    Agree 110%.
    01-10-15 12:31 PM
    I agree. The Classic is only for cool people. ;-)

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    momofteme and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-10-15 03:06 PM
    I agree. The Classic is only for cool people. ;-)

Posted from my awesome Classic.
    Ouch

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 04:10 PM
    I can not agree with all of your statements, but in the end everything boils down to each and everyone's individual use of the device and their own workflow.
    For example I just switched from the Passport and do not think the toolbelt is useless. It integrates well enough in the system and I actually quite like it when using the device one-handed. Having said that, most of the time I keep using the phone as I was using my Q10, so gesture based.

I completely agree with the dark trackpad, especially in dark environments that black space between the BlackBerry key and back key looks really odd.

Regarding the light bleed of the keyboard, I was also surprised at first. However I think this happens due to the more raised keys of the device? I haven't checked yet for a detailed comparison with my other BB10 devices, but this would be my first guess.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 04:22 PM
    I do agree about the one handed use. That is a big benefit from the form factor of the Classic.

The keyboard didn't feel much different to me from my 9900 and there was never any light bleed back then.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 04:32 PM
    Personally disagree re tool belt. I used all the BlackBerry 10 touch devices but after a few weeks I use the tool belt for almost everything!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 08:52 PM
    The back button is especially handy!

Posted via CB10
    01-10-15 08:52 PM
    When you say light bleed..when it's dark? So far I don't see any problems with light of the K-board

Z 30
    01-10-15 09:06 PM
    I was finding that the toolbelt has absolutely no place in BB10. I am sorry, I get that this is supposed to be a transition from the 9900 to BB10, but if you can't figure out BB10 without a toolbelt, then you are lost on many other levels!
    What makes you think that people "can't figure out BB10 without a toolbelt"? Maybe you can't figure out BB10 with a toolbelt, which is basically no different that running any other BB10 phone with a toolbelt.

Was it illuminated on every other phone? Perhaps they were trying to minimize it, or just save money.

There are a few more little quams I had with the Classic. You could call my dislikes shallow or obsessive, sure. Personally if they are trying to convert diehards over from the great device that is the 9900, I don't see how this device is going to stand up to the battles of time like the 9900 did.
    Could you please elaborate on this? What are the "battles of time" and why won't it hold up? From everything I've read, it's very rugged.
    01-10-15 09:10 PM