I want to get my 2016 Blackberry Classic screen fixed and use it as my main mobile phone in 2020 as it remains the only phone i have ever liked but I read that certain services are being discontinued by Blackberry / Research in Motion. Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    11-27-19 05:27 PM
    Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    Sure, as long as you're willing to jump through some hoops to get apps working or don't mind them only working the browser.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-28-19 12:47 PM
    Sure, as long as you're willing to jump through some hoops to get apps working or don't mind them only working the browser.
    And don't mind the extra battery drain lol
    11-28-19 03:28 PM
    2020? None of us has a crystal ball. We can only say what works or what workarounds are viable today.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-19 07:06 PM
    I want to get my 2016 Blackberry Classic screen fixed and use it as my main mobile phone in 2020 as it remains the only phone i have ever liked but I read that certain services are being discontinued by Blackberry / Research in Motion. Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    Answer is: Yes, but no.

The thing with the apps you mentioned is: There is no more support anymore. Nor from BlackBerry, neither from developers.
    But what you can do is - use your browser for each service you want to use.
    Set bookmarks for each page (for easy access), like: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter... You name it.
    This should work in most cases.
    Keep in mind, that's just like using your web browser at home: No notifications, just manual checking.

What will remain is: You can use the Classic natively for: SMS texting, E-mail standard with Hub (no apps) and simple phone calls.

Otherwise you are still able to sideload Android Apps (*.apks), but keep in here mind OS10 only supports Apps until Android 4.4 (as far as I know),
    if services/apps ain't supported beyond that runtime, they also stop working.

As far as your web browsing experience goes: BlackBerry didn't update the native Browser since 2015, which means some pages won't work anymore or will show content strange.

It works, but not in a pleasent way.
    11-29-19 08:59 AM
    Answer is: Yes, but no.

The thing with the apps you mentioned is: There is no more support anymore. Nor from BlackBerry, neither from developers.
    But what you can do is - use your browser for each service you want to use.
    Set bookmarks for each page (for easy access), like: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter... You name it.
    This should work in most cases.
    Keep in mind, that's just like using your web browser at home: No notifications, just manual checking.

What will remain is: You can use the Classic natively for: SMS texting, E-mail standard with Hub (no apps) and simple phone calls.

Otherwise you are still able to sideload Android Apps (*.apks), but keep in here mind OS10 only supports Apps until Android 4.4 (as far as I know),
    if services/apps ain't supported beyond that runtime, they also stop working.

As far as your web browsing experience goes: BlackBerry didn't update the native Browser since 2015, which means some pages won't work anymore or will show content strange.

It works, but not in a pleasent way.
    Correct and just for clarification

ART 4.3 is supported as the maximum runtime. Anything that requires ART 4.4 or higher is not BB10 supported.

OP - budget wise if you don’t already have Android/iOS device, the KEYone 3/32 Silver Edition would be the least expensive BBAndroid PKB for the usage described as it’s running Oreo 8.1 now.
    11-29-19 09:02 AM
    thank you ! so the Blackberry era is well and truly over.
    11-29-19 09:05 AM
    well yes, but 2020 is only 4 weeks away !
    11-29-19 09:06 AM
    Correct and just for clarification

ART 4.3 is supported as the maximum runtime. Anything that requires ART 4.4 or higher is not BB10 supported.

OP - budget wise if you don’t already have Android/iOS device, the KEYone 3/32 Silver Edition would be the least expensive BBAndroid PKB for the usage described as it’s running Oreo 8.1 now.
    Thanks, didn't really remember if it was 4.3 or 4.4 - just went optimistic.
    11-29-19 09:11 AM