I get what you’re saying about the consistent experience.

The biggest problem for me was switching all my data from BB10 to iOS, it was a nightmare, I needed to copy it to an Android phone and then buy software to get it onto the iPhone, that was a frustrating weekend let me tell you!

Once in the Apple ecosystem it seems like it may be difficult to leave as getting the data back off could be an issue, having said that I haven’t really looked into it that much as it’s still early days.

I’m pleased with my choice though and fully expect to be flamed here for it lol!
    Mistake was BB10..... if you'd been like most BlackBerry users and skipped BB10 and went straight to iOS back in 2009, 2010. You'd have grown into the ecosystem with no issue.

I got BB10 at lauch, but LINK didn't fully work back then.... so I switched to a cloud based emails. And I got into installing leaks so I needed a quick turn around process without using LINK as it was no reliable in those days - OneDrive helped with that. Along with Ultimate backup and knowing what data I'd need. So when it came time to move to Android, was very simple switch over. Then going from Android to iOS it was much the same.

Really no magic needed when moving back from iOS to Android either.... and there are plenty of "how too" articles on it. Each OS takes some time to get use to... and then just when you have it figured out, they update it.
    10-20-20 08:06 AM
    Mistake was BB10..... if you'd been like most BlackBerry users and skipped BB10 and went straight to iOS back in 2009, 2010. You'd have grown into the ecosystem with no issue.

I got BB10 at lauch, but LINK didn't fully work back then.... so I switched to a cloud based emails. And I got into installing leaks so I needed a quick turn around process without using LINK as it was no reliable in those days - OneDrive helped with that. Along with Ultimate backup and knowing what data I'd need. So when it came time to move to Android, was very simple switch over. Then going from Android to iOS it was much the same.

Really no magic needed when moving back from iOS to Android either.... and there are plenty of "how too" articles on it. Each OS takes some time to get use to... and then just when you have it figured out, they update it.
    Migrating from one platform to another is never a friction-free experience and this is not unique to BB10 being in the mix. You're substituting your reality as someone else's.
    10-20-20 08:14 AM

Trouble is things like sms and phone logs aren’t in the cloud as far as I’m aware on BB10 and I wanted them transferred over, nightmare I can tell you!

Appreciate the cloud thing is a good solution but it doesn’t solve all the data transfer issues unfortunately.
    10-20-20 10:23 AM
    Trouble is things like sms and phone logs aren’t in the cloud as far as I’m aware on BB10 and I wanted them transferred over, nightmare I can tell you!

Appreciate the cloud thing is a good solution but it doesn’t solve all the data transfer issues unfortunately.
    That's where Ultimate Backup came into play....
    10-20-20 11:44 AM
    That's where Ultimate Backup came into play....
    Yes but how do you get it from ultimate backup into the iPhone?

I used a Samsung app to get the data off the BB10 phone plus SMS backup to get the SMS from the BB10 phone to an Android phone, as SMS backup is also available for Android phones but there doesn’t seem to be a way to go direct from BB10 to iOS.

I could have missed a trick of course but I had to scratch my head for a while to find the solution.
    10-20-20 12:15 PM
    Check out "Device Switch app" in BlackBerry World!
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27535024

That one suppose to push data between different mobile platforms... BlackBerry, iPhone, android and more...

Another option is this one across several mobile platforms too:
    Check out InTouchApp Contacts - Backup + Sync + Auto-update in BlackBerry World!

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/72643

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    Last edited by BB-nomade; 10-21-20 at 05:53 AM.
    10-21-20 05:37 AM
    Check out "Device Switch app" in BlackBerry World!
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27535024

That one suppose to push data between different mobile platforms... BlackBerry, iPhone, android and more...

Another option is this one across several mobile platforms too:
    Check out InTouchApp Contacts - Backup + Sync + Auto-update in BlackBerry World!

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/72643

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    Device switch app has a limit on the number of SMS messages it can handle I believe.

Good info for anyone else doing the same switch though.
    10-21-20 02:54 PM
    Try this on your browser url bar after a site is loading like google map or orther instagram touch.facebook.com

Nice for this small screen of classic
    Paste on your url

javascript:document.getElementsByName("viewport")[0].setAttribute("content","width=device-width,initial-scale=0.8,minimum-scale=0.4,maximum-scale=0.8");document.getElementByid("viewport").se tAttribute("content","width=device-width,initial-scale=0.8,minimum-scale=0.4,maximum-scale=0.80");

Posted via CB10
    10-23-20 03:05 PM
    I get what you’re saying about the consistent experience.

The biggest problem for me was switching all my data from BB10 to iOS, it was a nightmare, I needed to copy it to an Android phone and then buy software to get it onto the iPhone, that was a frustrating weekend let me tell you!

Once in the Apple ecosystem it seems like it may be difficult to leave as getting the data back off could be an issue, having said that I haven’t really looked into it that much as it’s still early days.

I’m pleased with my choice though and fully expect to be flamed here for it lol!
    As someone who uses BB10, Android and iOS, I won't flame you.

However, I'd like to mention a possible alternative to transferring data between phones so that switching phones or even platforms is less intimidating and time-consuming.

So long as you're comfortable with cloud services, you could use your choice for all your personal data, then, when switching phones, all you would have to do is install the appropriate app, login with your credentials, and sync.

I can have the exact same emails, address books, calendars, tasks and notes on all my BB10, Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Linux devices this way (though I choose to segregate some things to single devices.

Unfortunately, for other types of files, such as photos and videos, there is no longer a way to natively sync BB10, but I can access the same files on all other devices (Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux).

I never worry that losing a device will cause me to lose information. Spinning up a new phone or switching platforms is just a matter of installing and configuring apps (which takes time, but does not put my data at risk.

Just my opinion.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-24-20 08:47 AM
    As someone who uses BB10, Android and iOS, I won't flame you.

However, I'd like to mention a possible alternative to transferring data between phones so that switching phones or even platforms is less intimidating and time-consuming.

So long as you're comfortable with cloud services, you could use your choice for all your personal data, then, when switching phones, all you would have to do is install the appropriate app, login with your credentials, and sync.

I can have the exact same emails, address books, calendars, tasks and notes on all my BB10, Android, iOS, PC, Mac and Linux devices this way (though I choose to segregate some things to single devices.

Unfortunately, for other types of files, such as photos and videos, there is no longer a way to natively sync BB10, but I can access the same files on all other devices (Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux).

I never worry that losing a device will cause me to lose information. Spinning up a new phone or switching platforms is just a matter of installing and configuring apps (which takes time, but does not put my data at risk.

Just my opinion.

Good advice, the only thing that was a major headache for me was the SMS really, I have a lot of old conversations I needed to transfer over which was the main sticking point and to a lesser extent the phone call logs.
    10-24-20 02:29 PM
    Oh and thanks for not flaming me!!
    10-24-20 02:30 PM
    Good advice, the only thing that was a major headache for me was the SMS really, I have a lot of old conversations I needed to transfer over which was the main sticking point and to a lesser extent the phone call logs.
    Yes. SMS is a pain. That's what prompted me to almost completely stop using SMS with my SIM number. I ported my old SIM number to Google Voice and got a new phone number, which I now only use with Signal, so I'll always be able to backup, restore and transfer messages in the future. I also use MySudo which provides me with additional alias phone numbers for both voice and SMS to protect my privacy. Between my work and private life I have between 5 and 8 active phone numbers at any one time, and I don't want ANY of them tied to my carrier SIM card so that I can move between phones and make or receive calls on any device.

10-24-20 07:34 PM
    Wow. You've thought this out.
    10-24-20 07:50 PM
    Wow. You've thought this out.
    My business is business continuity/cyber resiliency, so I do think about this stuff a lot. LOL

I use a hypothetical "car window" test, which is that I should be able to toss any device I own out of my car window on a bridge over a river at any time without losing any important information, and be back up and running on a new device within half a business day (four hours).

10-24-20 08:30 PM
    which is that I should be able to toss any device I own out of my car window on a bridge over a river at any time without losing any important information
    Litterbug!
    10-24-20 09:37 PM
    Litterbug!
    LOL. I don't actually do it....well...there was that one hostile takeover attempt....

Actually, I got the idea after reviewing Netflix's resiliency program. They created a tool called "chaos monkey" that randomly terminates instances in production so that there are always unplanned outages happening in their system, which forces engineers to design for resiliency.

I use a poor man's version of that. On the first Monday of each month I roll a six-sided die on my desk, and if it comes up with a 1, I have to immediately factory reset either my phone, laptop or desktop. I roll the die again to determine which one. Then wipe and reset it.

Thanks to this, I've developed written guides for bringing each back on line, which I can do in the course of a normal day with little mental strain.

I really like the sense of security and independence I have, knowing that the loss of a device won't be a hassle, and that I won't lose my info.

brookie229 likes this.
    10-24-20 09:55 PM
    Yes. SMS is a pain. That's what prompted me to almost completely stop using SMS with my SIM number. I ported my old SIM number to Google Voice and got a new phone number, which I now only use with Signal, so I'll always be able to backup, restore and transfer messages in the future. I also use MySudo which provides me with additional alias phone numbers for both voice and SMS to protect my privacy. Between my work and private life I have between 5 and 8 active phone numbers at any one time, and I don't want ANY of them tied to my carrier SIM card so that I can move between phones and make or receive calls on any device.

Yep, SMS is certainly a pain. Now I’ve moved to a supported OS I use WhatsApp, which certainly doesn’t pass your privacy test but at least I should be able move the messages to a new phone/platform more easily.
    10-25-20 04:41 AM
    LOL. I don't actually do it....well...there was that one hostile takeover attempt....

Actually, I got the idea after reviewing Netflix's resiliency program. They created a tool called "chaos monkey" that randomly terminates instances in production so that there are always unplanned outages happening in their system, which forces engineers to design for resiliency.

I use a poor man's version of that. On the first Monday of each month I roll a six-sided die on my desk, and if it comes up with a 1, I have to immediately factory reset either my phone, laptop or desktop. I roll the die again to determine which one. Then wipe and reset it.

Thanks to this, I've developed written guides for bringing each back on line, which I can do in the course of a normal day with little mental strain.

I really like the sense of security and independence I have, knowing that the loss of a device won't be a hassle, and that I won't lose my info.

Although I have all my business contacts and a lot of business messages on my phone, they aren’t super critical in the same way yours are.

All my business data is held on a server and backed up in several places at a minimum of once a week and at least one of those backups is off site.

That’s all I need for my data, I don’t need the car window test to work as my business would survive even if I need to go back a week on the data as it’s not that time critical.

Having said that it would be nice to have your level of resilience but it isn’t worth the extra work in my case.
    10-25-20 04:49 AM
    Although I have all my business contacts and a lot of business messages on my phone, they aren’t super critical in the same way yours are.

All my business data is held on a server and backed up in several places at a minimum of once a week and at least one of those backups is off site.

That’s all I need for my data, I don’t need the car window test to work as my business would survive even if I need to go back a week on the data as it’s not that time critical.

Having said that it would be nice to have your level of resilience but it isn’t worth the extra work in my case.
    That all makes sense to me. The key thing is that you've thought about it and are comfortable with your resiliency posture.

Honestly, I do what I do because it simplifies my life and has a tangential benefit of increasing my productivity and effectiveness. I can work from anywhere under almost any circumstances, and I'm not beholden to any single platform or vendor.

Vendor independence is great. I have two Internet service providers for my home, which allows me to work through outages and negotiate for the best rates by occasionally canceling either service if they try to raise my rates. I currently pay a total of $50 a month for a 1 Gbps and a 75 Mbps connection.

10-25-20 11:34 AM
    Nice. I pay around 17$ for 12 mbps.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-20 02:01 PM
70 123