I want to get my 2016 Blackberry Classic screen fixed and use it as my main mobile phone in 2020 as it remains the only phone i have ever liked but I read that certain services are being discontinued by Blackberry / Research in Motion. Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    11-27-19 04:27 PM
    Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    Sure, as long as you're willing to jump through some hoops to get apps working or don't mind them only working the browser.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-28-19 11:47 AM
    Sure, as long as you're willing to jump through some hoops to get apps working or don't mind them only working the browser.
    And don't mind the extra battery drain lol
    11-28-19 02:28 PM
    2020? None of us has a crystal ball. We can only say what works or what workarounds are viable today.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-19 06:06 PM
    I want to get my 2016 Blackberry Classic screen fixed and use it as my main mobile phone in 2020 as it remains the only phone i have ever liked but I read that certain services are being discontinued by Blackberry / Research in Motion. Can I still use it in next year for Facebook /messenger, What's App, You Tube, Spotify, YAHOO Mail as well as texting and phoning ? Thank you.
    Answer is: Yes, but no.

The thing with the apps you mentioned is: There is no more support anymore. Nor from BlackBerry, neither from developers.
    But what you can do is - use your browser for each service you want to use.
    Set bookmarks for each page (for easy access), like: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter... You name it.
    This should work in most cases.
    Keep in mind, that's just like using your web browser at home: No notifications, just manual checking.

What will remain is: You can use the Classic natively for: SMS texting, E-mail standard with Hub (no apps) and simple phone calls.

Otherwise you are still able to sideload Android Apps (*.apks), but keep in here mind OS10 only supports Apps until Android 4.4 (as far as I know),
    if services/apps ain't supported beyond that runtime, they also stop working.

As far as your web browsing experience goes: BlackBerry didn't update the native Browser since 2015, which means some pages won't work anymore or will show content strange.

It works, but not in a pleasent way.
    08st1300 likes this.
    11-29-19 07:59 AM
    Answer is: Yes, but no.

The thing with the apps you mentioned is: There is no more support anymore. Nor from BlackBerry, neither from developers.
    But what you can do is - use your browser for each service you want to use.
    Set bookmarks for each page (for easy access), like: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter... You name it.
    This should work in most cases.
    Keep in mind, that's just like using your web browser at home: No notifications, just manual checking.

What will remain is: You can use the Classic natively for: SMS texting, E-mail standard with Hub (no apps) and simple phone calls.

Otherwise you are still able to sideload Android Apps (*.apks), but keep in here mind OS10 only supports Apps until Android 4.4 (as far as I know),
    if services/apps ain't supported beyond that runtime, they also stop working.

As far as your web browsing experience goes: BlackBerry didn't update the native Browser since 2015, which means some pages won't work anymore or will show content strange.

It works, but not in a pleasent way.
    Correct and just for clarification

ART 4.3 is supported as the maximum runtime. Anything that requires ART 4.4 or higher is not BB10 supported.

OP - budget wise if you don’t already have Android/iOS device, the KEYone 3/32 Silver Edition would be the least expensive BBAndroid PKB for the usage described as it’s running Oreo 8.1 now.
    Grungni likes this.
    11-29-19 08:02 AM
    thank you ! so the Blackberry era is well and truly over.
    11-29-19 08:05 AM
    well yes, but 2020 is only 4 weeks away !
    11-29-19 08:06 AM
    Correct and just for clarification

ART 4.3 is supported as the maximum runtime. Anything that requires ART 4.4 or higher is not BB10 supported.

OP - budget wise if you don’t already have Android/iOS device, the KEYone 3/32 Silver Edition would be the least expensive BBAndroid PKB for the usage described as it’s running Oreo 8.1 now.
    Thanks, didn't really remember if it was 4.3 or 4.4 - just went optimistic.
    11-29-19 08:11 AM
    For basic use, it seems to depend what network you use. I don’t think Verizon’s volte works, and with the retirement of their 1x and 3g network, you may not be able to make calls. I understand AT&T’s volte works just fine, and maybe Tmo
    12-12-19 10:34 AM
    For basic use, it seems to depend what network you use. I don’t think Verizon’s volte works, and with the retirement of their 1x and 3g network, you may not be able to make calls. I understand AT&T’s volte works just fine, and maybe Tmo
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!
    12-12-19 06:08 PM
    Thanks, Chuck! This is a discussion that really interests me. I am on AT&T and have been thinking to go to a Classic when my current phone dies. Since all I need is call/text/email I’ve been researching the viability of the Classic post-3G.
    AA Byron likes this.
    12-13-19 08:12 AM
    Thanks, Chuck! This is a discussion that really interests me. I am on AT&T and have been thinking to go to a Classic when my current phone dies. Since all I need is call/text/email I’ve been researching the viability of the Classic post-3G.
    That is what I'm doing currently. I use my Classic without having set up BBID. So I can 'only' install the older Android apps. I also get 1x warning message per day from the phone that BBID is not installed. Other than that, text, eMail and Calendar works, I can even sync eMail, calendar and contacts to Google or Microsoft if I want. That is enough for me, since dual carry another phone for all the other stuff.
    12-13-19 09:53 AM
    That is what I'm doing currently. I use my Classic without having set up BBID. So I can 'only' install the older Android apps. I also get 1x warning message per day from the phone that BBID is not installed. Other than that, text, eMail and Calendar works, I can even sync eMail, calendar and contacts to Google or Microsoft if I want. That is enough for me, since dual carry another phone for all the other stuff.
    Very good idea to use your Classic without a BBID.

That way the day BB Ltd decides to shut down servers, it shouldn't affect your device and you'd still be able to run whatever apk's still work
    12-13-19 11:02 AM
    I’m setting up my (first) BlackBerry Classic as I was looking for an “almost-dumb” phone to reduce my screen time.
    I’ve not logged in w/ a BB ID (I don’t even have one) nor w/ an Amazon account. Actually, I’ve also disabled BBM and Amazon services in the Parental Control panel.

I’ve chosen it rather than a real dumb phone because I can use it as a 4G hotspot and I can sync contacts and calendars with my own NextCloud server.

I’ve installed the few Android apps I may need from F-Droid store and APKMirror and some of the native apps released as BAR files.

I’m keeping all the radio (mobile network, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, gps) off to maximize battery life and activating them to the need.

I’ve experienced a few crashes and slowdowns, as well as loss of cellular signal at the end of each call and randomly. Sometimes loudspeaker doesn’t work and I can’t figure out why.

By now I’m pretty happy with my Classic, though I’m missing something:

- VoIP Client (I’ve tried to send an email to sip.fm developers asking if they would share the BAR - no answer yet);
    - Signal (the latest version works only on Android > 5.0 so no chance);
    - Spotify (?)
    - Terminal (I’ve tried to send an email to Term48 developers asking if they would share the BAR - no answer yet).
    12-15-19 02:45 PM
    Signal (the latest version works only on Android > 5.0 so no chance);
    For Signal see this thread: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...657.1561126407
    12-15-19 03:27 PM
    thanks Brookie!
    I'd already tried that version, it works, but as stated here it may stop working anytime (latest works on >= 4.4, not 5.0 as I wrote) without warning
    Besides, it comes with a really bad bug
    12-15-19 03:50 PM
    but as stated here it may stop working anytime
    Lol, anything may stop at any given time on BB10 so I wouldn't NOT use it for that reason. Viber or Skype or WhatsApp is just as likely to stop but not sure about the bug. Don't forget, almost ALL of these apps (with the exception of WhatsApp) are running on older outdated apk's that may also have bugs/security issues. BB10 users can't be choosers if they want to run these sorts of apps. You either have to use what works or stop using them altogether. Cheers!
    12-15-19 06:14 PM
    Lol, anything may stop at any given time on BB10 so I wouldn't NOT use it for that reason. Viber or Skype or WhatsApp is just as likely to stop but not sure about the bug. Don't forget, almost ALL of these apps (with the exception of WhatsApp) are running on older outdated apk's that may also have bugs/security issues. BB10 users can't be choosers if they want to run these sorts of apps. You either have to use what works or stop using them altogether. Cheers!
    You're right brookie, I'm aware of the limits, but Signal is a critical app, I will keep it on another device.
    I'm not going to use whatsapp neither other social apps, most of the apps I've installed are (almost) latest version (Fennec, Nextcloud, Telegram, TOR)
    12-16-19 03:50 AM
    You're right brookie, I'm aware of the limits, but Signal is a critical app, I will keep it on another device.
    I'm not going to use whatsapp neither other social apps, most of the apps I've installed are (almost) latest version (Fennec, Nextcloud, Telegram, TOR)
    The number one reason I purchased my KEYone Was to use Signal with a single client. I am not willing to use outdated APKs on BB10 for anything work-related.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    bb2020 likes this.
    12-16-19 09:52 AM
    Spotify (?)
    Found a working copy of Android Spotify in this thread

Would love Term48 BAR
    12-16-19 10:33 AM
    Actually, I’ve also disabled BBM and Amazon services in the Parental Control panel.
    You learn something new every day. I always wanted the BBM stuff to go away, now it's gone.
    bb2020 likes this.
    12-18-19 05:48 PM
    I’m setting up my (first) BlackBerry Classic as I was looking for an “almost-dumb” phone to reduce my screen time.
    I’ve not logged in w/ a BB ID (I don’t even have one) nor w/ an Amazon account. Actually, I’ve also disabled BBM and Amazon services in the Parental Control panel.

I’ve chosen it rather than a real dumb phone because I can use it as a 4G hotspot and I can sync contacts and calendars with my own NextCloud server.

I’ve installed the few Android apps I may need from F-Droid store and APKMirror and some of the native apps released as BAR files.

I’m keeping all the radio (mobile network, Wi-Fi, bluetooth, gps) off to maximize battery life and activating them to the need.
    this is what I achieved...60 hours, not bad!
    Attached Thumbnails Classic - Can I still use it in 2020?-2019-12-19-20.52.47.jpg  
    12-19-19 01:53 PM
    Found a working copy of Android Spotify in this thread

Would love Term48 BAR
    I use Spotify Lite version 0.12.92.17 (package version 1.0.0.9228) with no issues.
    12-20-19 09:23 AM
    Don't forget to check Blackberry World one last time for apps or games before it shuts down.
    12-20-19 12:39 PM
70 123