Just wondering if anyone remembers when John Chen said that the Foxconn agreement had the manufacturing of the Blackberry devices at their Taiwan factory?

I remember a few articles stating that this was done as a security measure.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 02:39 PM
    Just wondering if anyone remembers when John Chen said that the Foxconn agreement had the manufacturing of the Blackberry devices at their Taiwan factory?
    Taiwan is officially governed by the Republic of China. I don't know where Foxconn is located in China, it could be that when you say Taiwan and others say China, you're talking about the same thing?
    02-18-15 02:42 PM
    This was the Crackberry article with a link to the Blackberry news release discussing the manufacturing sites.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-a...ership-foxconn

Just wondering what caused the change of heart to have the Classic being made in China? Only thing I can think was the cost to build the device for Blackberry was lower being done in China as opposed to Mexico or elsewhere despite it being built by Foxconn? Just a thought

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 07:03 PM
    Taiwan is officially governed by the Republic of China. I don't know where Foxconn is located in China, it could be that when you say Taiwan and others say China, you're talking about the same thing?
    I remember when Taiwan was taken over by the Republic of China. They moved the manufacturing to main land China and everything was crap.

Taiwan's factories and people are far superior than mainland China. Taiwans do not like to be called Chinese.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 07:06 PM
    Foxconn built the z3 not the classic. Am I wrong ?

Posted via my Z10
    02-18-15 07:10 PM
    Foxconn built the z3 not the classic. Am I wrong ?

Posted via my Z10
    They make the Z3, Classic, and upcoming Rio.

They also make iPhone and iPads, so they do a pretty good job.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Thorsten Heinsight likes this.
    02-18-15 07:21 PM
    My wife,who works at BlackBerry Would strongly disagree with you.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    02-18-15 07:48 PM
    The quality of goods built by China can be built to a very high standard. It all depends on what the ordering manufacturer specifies and is willing to pay/monitor.

It is the same all over the world.

Low quality Chinese goods are because the ordering companies ordered crap to save a penny in order to build "value" for the ****-for-brains shareholders by making people hate the western brands so much that they buy Chinese brands like Xiaomi instead.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:01 PM
    as stated above China caan produce very high quality products, it all comes down to the acceptance of goods- sometimes reffered to at the docks or the dock handoff / acceptance.

A batch or shipment of goods can be inspected and rejected for QC reasons and can force the manufacturer to rebuild or refurbish the goods. Most of the time this does not happen because the acceptance side is financially linked to the production side and they would be biteing their own hand if they reject a shipment. I blame the acceptance company for bad quality - as stated apple uses China and is "known" for high quality construction etc.

Also quality standards, proofs etc. are all in the contract.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 08:45 PM
    The quality of goods built by China can be built to a very high standard. It all depends on what the ordering manufacturer specifies and is willing to pay/monitor.

It is the same all over the world.

Low quality Chinese goods are because the ordering companies ordered crap to save a penny in order to build "value" for the ****-for-brains shareholders by making people hate the western brands so much that they buy Chinese brands like Xiaomi instead.

Posted via CB10
    So basicly you are saying xiaomi is crap? Or did I read it completely wrong?

Xiaomi actually has some good build quality tho. They do not market like apple and samsung and they tend to sell online in western country's. This safes loads of money and that's why it's also way cheaper

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 02:57 AM
    So basicly you are saying xiaomi is crap? Or did I read it completely wrong?

Xiaomi actually has some good build quality tho. They do not market like apple and samsung and they tend to sell online in western country's. This safes loads of money and that's why it's also way cheaper

Posted via CB10
    Again, almost any manufacturer can make high quality stuff, it just typically costs more and has longer production cycles, and requires dock side qc.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 06:22 AM
    For those who are interested on this thread I emailed Blackberry Investor Relations regarding the Classic. The response I got back was as follows.

"While BlackBerry devices may be manufactured in different regions, BlackBerry is committed to manufacturing BlackBerry Classic smartphones for North American government and regulated customers in the Americas.
    Regards,
    Investor Relations"

Still seems odd to me that this phone appears to be manufactured in China for the consumer and North America for governments and regulated industries.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 01:53 PM
    I thought everything is made in China nowadays

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport - 10.3.1.2243
    03-03-15 02:54 PM
    People's Republic of China = China

Republic of China = Taiwan, not China no matter how many assertions, claims and threats China makes.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-04-15 02:01 AM
    When was Taiwan taken over by China? Are we in some parallel universe here ?

Anyways, just to clarify, Foxconn is a Taiwanese company, who do almost all of their manufacturing (yes, including your beloved iphone6) in China, as manual labor is much cheaper there.

Quality wise, China really varies, depending on management and QC. You will find utter useless junks to premium goods, all made in China.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 04:33 AM
    The interesting thing was during a few Q and Q sessions at various financial results Mr. Chen indicated for "security purposes" that the Foxconn agreement meant no manufacturing at the Chinese sites. Foxconn was able to use their North American and other Asian sites to manufacture Blackberry's.

When I saw that a friend's Classic was built in China I questioned it. After 2 emails to BB Investor Relations they did confirm the following in an email

"Hi Evan,
    Regions will vary , but as noted, we are committed to manufacturing BlackBerry Classic smartphones in the Americas for our North American government and regulated customers."

It just seems odd that there would be 2 different type of "Classics" for retail vs enterprise customers.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 06:44 PM
    People's Republic of China = China

Republic of China = Taiwan, not China no matter how many assertions, claims and threats China makes.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by kjjb0204; 03-05-15 at 02:10 AM.
    03-04-15 10:41 PM
    For those who are interested on this thread I emailed Blackberry Investor Relations regarding the Classic. The response I got back was as follows.

"While BlackBerry devices may be manufactured in different regions, BlackBerry is committed to manufacturing BlackBerry Classic smartphones for North American government and regulated customers in the Americas.
    Regards,
    Investor Relations"

Still seems odd to me that this phone appears to be manufactured in China for the consumer and North America for governments and regulated industries.

Posted via CB10
    Wtf? I wonder if the noncamera verizon classic is made in NA.....my regular verizon one isn't.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 12:33 AM
    The interesting thing was during a few Q and Q sessions at various financial results Mr. Chen indicated for "security purposes" that the Foxconn agreement meant no manufacturing at the Chinese sites. Foxconn was able to use their North American and other Asian sites to manufacture Blackberry's.

When I saw that a friend's Classic was built in China I questioned it. After 2 emails to BB Investor Relations they did confirm the following in an email

"Hi Evan,
    Regions will vary , but as noted, we are committed to manufacturing BlackBerry Classic smartphones in the Americas for our North American government and regulated customers."

It just seems odd that there would be 2 different type of "Classics" for retail vs enterprise customers.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Wow.

Posted via Q10Bold
    03-05-15 01:50 AM

"Hi Evan,

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Wow.

Posted via Q10Bold
    How do we get a NA made one ?
    03-05-15 09:25 AM
    How do we get a NA made one ?
    There's no difference.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:37 AM
    If there were no difference we wouldn't be talking about it, the BlackBerry rep wouldn't have a scripted answer to the question, and BlackBerry would be making them all in china

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:07 PM
    How do you know where a particular classic is made?
    Typically this type of information is printed on a label in battery compartment, but this is not accessible in the Classic.

Alfredo

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:04 PM
    This info was printed on the Classic box but should be also printed on the device somewhere it's self

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:34 PM
    If there were no difference we wouldn't be talking about it, the BlackBerry rep wouldn't have a scripted answer to the question, and BlackBerry would be making them all in china

Posted via CB10
    The reason why there isn't a difference is all BlackBerry devices can be secured on BES. Many components on these devices may be from another country (Eg. Let's say Samsung produces the 16 GB on board flash memory), although this does not mean these components are not made in China.

The reason why there is a scripted answer is people have this notion that nothing made in China is secure when in reality people aren't actually fully aware of how many goods they own that contain parts made in China but the product was assembled elsewhere.

Had this been true, it would mean that BlackBerry would lose out on its edge of being one of the most secure devices out there.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:51 PM
28 12