After setting up multiple business and private email accounts, messaging clients; after reloading thousands of contacts and all of my calendars; after forwarding my office phone to my new Classic -- I finally have a few minutes to explore the phone.

It occurs to me that the Classic is exactly was I was looking forward to when I switched from my 9900 to my Q10 on the day the flagship OS10 device was released: Reasonably familiar hardware and shortcuts with a powerful, fast and stable OS.

With its apparently sturdy keyboard, unplagued by the Q's double-typing defect and a generously proportioned screen with no deadspots around the edges (another Q complaint), the classic is solid. Able to jump to the desired program by pushing a single key, the magic of BlackBerry of old has returned. Interestingly, to me, one of the most important features reintroduced in the Classic is a physical hang up key. Hanging up is hanging up.

Had BlackBerry released the Classic instead of the Q10, I would likely have remained the avid BlackBerry enthusiast and voluntary promoter I had been for years before that. Despite its pros, the Q10's cons cooled me down to the extent that I was not even certain that I would stay with BlackBerry. This phone is renewing my confidence in the company.

Both those who have held out with their 9900s as well as those who have moved on to iPhones and Android devices but nostalgically remember their Curves and Bolds are likely to love this device.

Perhaps it is not too late; perhaps Chen's vision is 20/20.

Posted Via ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    Alain_A and geekaren like this.
    12-30-14 08:20 AM
    Enjoy it.... you might even want to buy a couple of them.
    12-30-14 08:35 AM
    Maybe I should get one for my wife...

Posted Via ClassicSQC100-4/10.3.1.1154 CB10
    12-30-14 08:43 AM
    It may not be such a slam dunk as we may think trying to bring iPhone and Android users back to BlackBerry. Wasting time is something that BlackBerry does well when it comes from product concept to product execution and delivery. It is this type of delay that has caused BlackBerry traditionalists to venture out and experiment on other platforms. Those who never thought they could leave the keyboard and type on glass have had more than enough time to evolve, adapt, and even perfect typing on glass.

Deep down I hope that those who have left will eventually return but I really think that it will only be one customer at a time. The article below simply highlights what challenges BlackBerry has to face and eventually resolve. A hard look into the mirror and a strong dose of reality is needed by BlackBerry to turn things around.

Review: IPhone user tries to go back to BlackBerry
    12-30-14 08:57 AM
    Wasting time is something that BlackBerry does well when it comes from product concept to product execution and delivery.
    Thanks for my morning laugh. It's also sad and true. Hopefully they can improve on it and on the timeliness software side of things also.
    12-30-14 09:41 AM