10-18-14 09:03 AM
51 123
tools
    The biggest dilemma for people like me that bough early bb10 products is that we really need to get better specs to justify an upgrade. Plus the fact that it needs to be enough faster to be more future proof than our current phones.

If the hardware is the same, then there is no reason to expect that the classic would last any long than a q10.

It doesn't need to greatest specs on the market, but it does need to be better than a q10.

For bb10 alone, not much is needed but the sad reallity is, for many of us, our phones need at least a few andriod apps. We need good performance so those apps run well.

For bb10 alone, q5 specs would be decent.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 08:54 AM
    Less that 200USD? Man, you're extremely cheap.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-16-14 08:57 AM
    $300 to $499 is fair price range.

OP, this is physical keyboard device so don't compare it to all the other "All Touch" devices.
    10-16-14 09:01 AM
    Lol no they did not sign a 5-year agreement just for the Z3. A BB exec told me Foxconn will actually play a bigger part in their production
    I should have said ATM. The Passport is not made by Foxconn. The Q10, Z10 and Z30 wasn't either. My understanding is the Classic isn't either. But other phone in the future might be made by Foxconn.
    10-16-14 09:13 AM
    That's my fear, but still I hope. Not for me really, but for BlackBerry themselves.
    If those entry-level specs are correct and if the phone is indeed made by Foxconn, a $150 phone could really appeal to many enterprises willing to upgrade their BBOS-based devices. After all, the business is really focused on BES now
    At $150, they will be giving it away or losing money. No thanks. I expect 449-499 will be the final price.
    10-16-14 09:17 AM
    Would be amazing 299 usd
    Would be fair 349 usd
    Would be likely 399 usd
    Would be somewhat disappointing 449 usd
    Would be very disappointing 499 usd

Any higher would be laughable

I'm guessing 399 for us market.

Posted via CB10
    Yanncli21 likes this.
    10-16-14 09:32 AM
    But what you are missing is that smartphones are just an excuse to sell BES when it comes to enterprises

Posted via CB10
    What you are missing is that people who aren't on BES also want to purchase this phone. I know about 10 people who want this phone and none on them are on BES. So if you price it to make no money expecting them to purchase BES licensees, then you are giving it away to those 10 people I know and make nothing. You really should look at the parts cost of some of the new phones. Then you have assembly, packaging, marketing, distribution, R&D costs to recover, etc. To make a cheap smart phone, you are either using cheap materials, sweatshop labour or selling something else to make up for no/little margin.
    10-16-14 09:32 AM
    Volume. Compared to Apple & Sammy, BB's relatively tiny production volume will pressure per device production costs. Not insurmountable but will require creative solutions on their part.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-16-14 09:46 AM
    Would be amazing 299 usd
    Would be fair 349 usd
    Would be likely 399 usd
    Would be somewhat disappointing 449 usd
    Would be very disappointing 499 usd

Any higher would be laughable

I'm guessing 399 for us market.

Posted via CB10
    Spot on. Exactly what I was thinking.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:27 AM
    Less that 200USD? Man, you're extremely cheap.
    I'm just realistic, lookup the price of any dual core smartphone on the market. make a search on Amazon like this one :
    Amazon.com: android - $150-$200 / Unlocked Cell Phones / Cell Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories
    I see an octo core device listed for less than $200
    Sure the build quality probably is not as good. But then look at the Lumia devices. Nokia make great quality phone, have a look at their price/spec position

I'm not cheap. It's not about me. it's about the consumer market. And when it comes to the enterprise market, there is no need for expansive phone, for, again, this is not the core business of BlackBerry
    10-16-14 10:41 AM
    You're missing the point that this is a niche product
    What you are missing is that people who aren't on BES also want to purchase this phone. I know about 10 people who want this phone and none on them are on BES.
    So which is it ? a niche product for enterprise or not ?

In both case selling it over $200 just does not make sense
    10-16-14 10:44 AM
    I'm just realistic, lookup the price of any dual core smartphone on the market. make a search on Amazon like this one :
    Amazon.com: android - $150-$200 / Unlocked Cell Phones / Cell Phones: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Sure the build quality probably is not as good. But then look at the Lumia devices. Nokia make great quality phone, have a look at their price/spec position

I'm not cheap. It's not about me. it's about the consumer market. And when it comes to the enterprise market, there is no need for expansive phone, for, again, this is not the core business of BlackBerry
    Nokia also doesn't make a lot of money if at all on their phones. And again, if consumers buy the cheap enterprise phone that you envision, then the consumers side is a loss.
    10-16-14 10:44 AM
    What about R&D? The new stuff like the toolbelt, and modifying the OS accordingly? What about using and further developing your own OS instead of using an open source one? The have to make money somewhere.
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 10-16-14 at 10:57 AM.
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    10-16-14 10:45 AM

So which is it ? a niche product for enterprise or not ?

In both case selling it over $200 just does not make sense
    What doesn't make sense is losing money when making a product. I don't think I ever said it was a niche product. What you are trying to say is that it should be cheap and make little money as they will make it back with BES licenses. If that is the case, then it shouldn't be allowed to be sold to anyone who doesn't buy the license. Your business model is a failure as consumers will buy the phone and not pay the license fees. This is a loss and not fiscally responsible.
    cbvinh likes this.
    10-16-14 10:50 AM
    But what you are missing is that smartphones are just an excuse to sell BES when it comes to enterprises
    *If* it were just that. BlackBerry has moved onto to other OS'es and would be perfectly happy to abandon devices if it wasn't profitable. The strategy they're moving to doesn't require end-to-end, from devices to servers.
    10-16-14 10:55 AM
    How many of those cheap Androids do you see in the wild? How many of them are desirable? How many of them will get upgrades?

Nokia devices aren't owned by Nokia anymore. That's how wildly successful they are for Nokia. Sold at a loss -> sold to another company, Microsoft.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-16-14 11:01 AM

Couple of thing.

How many of those phones would be accepted into enterprise environments?

Why don't you tell us which Nokia phones you are talking about so we can compare? When you do list them, try and find the cost of parts to manufacture each phone.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-16-14 11:10 AM
    The price that I'am looking for :

299$ US - 349 $ CAD will be perfect and a lot of entreprises will jump on it to upgrade. Less than that will not be good for the brand image.
    399$ US - 459$ CAD will be I think the release price even we think that this is a little bit overpriced. Highter than that will be a huge huge mistake.
    10-16-14 12:06 PM

A device is worth what people are willing to pay for it. And while you will reply that BB is not doing well, it doesn't mean making it cheaper will get people to convert since it still means you will have to own an "uncool" phone and it means switching app ecosystems. I think as long as it's not too expensive, you can't really use androids as a point of reference since they don't exactly fall under the same category as a qwerty phone with a toolbelt. I personally am willing to spend a little more for the Classic than all-touch phones with better specs simply for the form factor. If it is way overpriced compared to other BB's then it would be an issue with me...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and wincyUt like this.
    10-16-14 12:48 PM
    Just release the new software for my Q10 AKA Classic without toolbelt, for FREE

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 03:33 PM
    That seems about right............ On a 2 year contract of course. I hope you weren't thinking outright? That would just be exactly that, a dream!

That's my fear, but still I hope. Not for me really, but for BlackBerry themselves.
    If those entry-level specs are correct and if the phone is indeed made by Foxconn, a $150 phone could really appeal to many enterprises willing to upgrade their BBOS-based devices. After all, the business is really focused on BES now
    10-17-14 10:09 AM
    Well, I understand your points but I am holding onto mine
    we shall the price and how popular the Classic will be...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 12:54 PM
    Well, I understand your points but I am holding onto mine
    we shall the price and how popular the Classic will be...

Posted via CB10
    How are you going to judge how popular it will be?
    10-17-14 01:08 PM
    Well, We'll see if they announce hundreds of thousand unit shipped in few days, like with the Passport. i guess we'll also see if the Classic is quickly out of stock or not. If it's popular, Chen will certainly mention it, like he did with the Passport
    There are various factors to look at I believe. We've seen that the Bold 9900 was very popular but the Q10 was not. The Classic has to fit somewhere
    10-17-14 04:30 PM
    Well, We'll see if they announce hundreds of thousand unit shipped in few days, like with the Passport. i guess we'll also see if the Classic is quickly out of stock or not. If it's popular, Chen will certainly mention it, like he did with the Passport
    There are various factors to look at I believe. We've seen that the Bold 9900 was very popular but the Q10 was not. The Classic has to fit somewhere
    But popular or not, you can't prove whether that is due to, or not due to, the price of the device. It's all speculation unless you systematically ask every one in the world why they bought or didn't buy the device...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-17-14 05:18 PM
51 123