I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's not likely that BlackBerry will do that. Regardless of how the specs are upgraded on the device, BBOS is limited platform in many ways. It requires the user to restart the phone when installing apps, apps are limited to how much RAM is on the device since that is where they are stored, and over a few days the phone begins to crawl based on low memory. The black clock issue when an app runs into an issue takes the whole phone down with it. I remember BBM Groups doing this whenever someone would join or leave and my phone was out of commission for 10+ minutes.

Like Thurask said, a lot of the core strengths of BBOS can be brought over to BB10. It is a new OS, so of couse it just takes time to bring that back. Hopefully 10.3.1 will bring a lot of that back since it is focused on the Classic and the return of the toolbelt.
    Okk, now I see your point, I guess it's just another pipe dream then. There's very little that I would like to return from the old OS because BB10 seems to do everything pretty well for me. Here are some things I wish they would bring back, I'm a pretty basic user, but I'm a huge fan of blackberry so my necessities will far differ from yours.

1. The old Memopad app.

I relied on the memopad like nothing else. I set it to a convenience key so anytime I had a thought....BAM memo.

They've finally made a couple memopad apps that work like the old, plain and simple, so that's changed a bit. But I would have liked if it was launched with the phone. "Remember" app was pretty much a waste unless you leave the window open at all times, otherwise I "forget".

2. Brickbreaker

My phone died when I was 2 levels away from the end. I never beat it. Need to redeem myself.

3. Convenience keys

This may be a hardware issue BUT, I'm sure they could use the Mute button. Or at least give the user an option to select what the mute button does.

4. Shortcut keys

I don't want to use anything like quicklaunch, I want these options native!

5. Can't remember anything else at the moment. I have to hop in the shower, heading to disney world!

Posted via Q10RR
    donemt likes this.
    08-25-14 06:34 AM
    I liked alt (back) for quick switching between apps. In many ways BlackBerry OS multi-tasked better than any phone, including bb10

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 12:01 PM
    What if it's a totally new BBOS, as such in look and feel. Perhaps the new os will have all features, look and feel of BBOS, but is remade on BB10 platform? I would buy it in a heart beat.

Posted via CB10
    ^this and it'd take like a year to build a completely new os JUST for one device

Posted via CB10
    Not possible. BBOS is outdated, and ready for the trash bin. BB10.3.1 will utilize special features to take advantage of the Classic Design. And when people use it, they will react as WOW. AHH.

Posted on my Q5
    Dual booting. It's possible!! Maybe just by rebooting the phone and holding or pressing a sequence of buttons to open the option. Or maybe they CAN do it live within the settings or options menu.

Posted via Q10RR
    I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's not likely that BlackBerry will do that. Regardless of how the specs are upgraded on the device, BBOS is limited platform in many ways. It requires the user to restart the phone when installing apps, apps are limited to how much RAM is on the device since that is where they are stored, and over a few days the phone begins to crawl based on low memory. The black clock issue when an app runs into an issue takes the whole phone down with it. I remember BBM Groups doing this whenever someone would join or leave and my phone was out of commission for 10+ minutes.

Like Thurask said, a lot of the core strengths of BBOS can be brought over to BB10. It is a new OS, so of couse it just takes time to bring that back. Hopefully 10.3.1 will bring a lot of that back since it is focused on the Classic and the return of the toolbelt.
    If that arrogant ML/RIM would have designed BB10 correctly the first time we wouldn't be have this conversation. Q10 did not have a tool belt because it would take them longer to program. Do you really need gesture on a keyboard phone? Might be a little faster on scrolling and pressing a button, but on a small screen you don't use it, because the screen is to small to press the button.

Look what we lost BB10 vs OS7 phones: RSS feeds and sharing on BBM, hub menu, end call, syn key, hdmi port, convenience key, removable battery..........

Now JC and BlackBerry is faced with fixing the mess. Now the OS file and program has to be so big because it is supporting 3 different types of phones. 1. Qwerty with tool belt small screen, 2. Qwerty with big screen (PassPort) 3. Touch/gesture Phones.

If they would have made the new Q20 (you call it a Classic) as a 9900 with upgrade OS and hardware we wouldn't be having this discussion. The 9900 is a working man's phone not a phone for playing Candy Crush or whatever and the Q20 will be also. Still to small a screen not for gaming, but a compromise for surfing.

Yeah, I still think they made a mistake by not having a ergonomic keyboard. 5-10 years from now when we all have Carple Tunnel in our thumbs?
    Classic = BBOS 10.0?-my-opinion.gif
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-25-14 at 01:46 PM.
    08-25-14 01:25 PM
    This thread is the chamber of horrors

BBOS will soon be gone, and I call it a good riddance.

It's so beyond me why people would want BB10 to be like that abomination of an OS, tbh.

But yeah, as one poster said:
    The Classic will be a Q10 with Toolbelt.
    Not a lot more and not a lot less.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 04:34 AM
    I just think it would be neat if there was a 'skin' overtop of the 10.3 that allowed it to function as bbos did.

I liked all the menu's and short cuts.

Posted via CB10
    The ability to create themes like they used to have in BBOS would allow that but unfortunately BB10 doesn't have that functionality it seems.

Posted via Q10RR
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-26-14 06:55 AM
    This thread is the chamber of horrors

BBOS will soon be gone, and I call it a good riddance.

It's so beyond me why people would want BB10 to be like that abomination of an OS, tbh.

But yeah, as one poster said:
    The Classic will be a Q10 with Toolbelt.
    Not a lot more and not a lot less.

Posted via CB10
    Well, this IS a forum devoted to a BB10 device so it's understandable that this thread would feel like a "chamber of horrors". lol That said, i'd honestly like someone more knowledgeable than myself to kindly explain what it is about BBOS that is such an "abomination"? No flame intended. Just trying to understand since it's abundantly obvious that someone at RIM/BBRY shares that view.

I get that BBOS wasn't well suited for touch, especially gesture based touch. BBOS was optimized for Trackpad, which is a plus if you happen to prefer Track over Touch. I also get that BBOS had it's share of memory leaks, etc. but ... After devoting a year using Z and Q hoping for BB10 to mature, i'm back on 7.1.0.1066 and simply couldn't be happier with the efficient, low intensity, operation. Stress induced fatigue is MUCH reduced for all 26 of us in my office. Probably thanks to routine battery swaps, mem leak issues have been virtually non-existant. (I NEVER tether to a wall, fwiw.)

BB10 is finally maturing but when will it get "Themes", for example... ?? How about GENUINE speed dial? The single biggest complaint we'd likely agree on is OS7's browser. But seems to me that could be improved with a better version... AND more device ram. Not the fault of the OS that it was virtually abandoned, IMO.

You are right, BBOS will too soon be coerced into obsolescence. Unless BB10.3.1 manages to incorporate some of the "lower stress" features of BBOS, some of us will truly lament "the good ole days". A lamentation based on CONTEMPORARY experience.
    Mr4aces and flyingsolid like this.
    08-26-14 08:39 AM
    Well, this IS a forum devoted to a BB10 device so it's understandable that this thread would feel like a "chamber of horrors". lol That said, i'd honestly like someone more knowledgeable than myself to kindly explain what it is about BBOS that is such an "abomination"? No flame intended. Just trying to understand since it's abundantly obvious that someone at RIM/BBRY shares that view.
    As I have stated in previous posts, BBOS is sitting on a more archaic architecture and it wasn't built to support todays standard of media and data. I heard the WebKit browser that is used on BB7 was a pain to get to even work on BBOS. There are too many limitations that disrupt the flow of work for users. Some examples include limiting app storage to what is shared/allocated in the RAM vs. the internal storage. Most BB7 devices had up to 256-512MB RAM. The most we see on devices these days are 2-3GB RAM. On the other hand, BB10 devices have anywhere between 8GB-64GB of internal storage where apps can be stored and they don't bog down the OS when installed. Not to mention a restart isn't required after apps are installed.

Another issue is when an app crashes or has a lot to load on BBOS (i.e. BBM Groups), it often takes the whole OS down with it. So the user is sitting there for literally 10-15 minutes while the phone goes through a painful process that includes the infamous black clock (of death). It is difficult to get work done or even make / answer a simple call when this is happening.

An issue I often had was sending and receiving large files due to the size limitation of BIS. I now send 10-20MB ZIP files effortlessly on my Q10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but BIS/BES are proprietary services with BlackBerry, whereas now they have moved to a more BYOD environment with the addition of Exchange support. While it has shown some minor limitations, it is much more universal for the average user over BIS, and BES support is still present on BB10 for those that need the extra security.

BB10/QNX also holds a lot more potential for the future and has a history of supporting multi-core processors for the hardware it runs on. Unlike BBOS, it supports more than just JAVA and web based apps. It also supports C/C++ (with Cascades), JavaScript/CCS/HTML, ActionScript/AIR, or Java Android. This is MUCH more enticing for developers and we have seen many more rich applications on BB10 that bring the level of quality that Android and iOS bring.

There are many more and I am a user who has owned (and still own) multiple devices on both platforms over the years. BBOS has its strengths, but I feel BB10 is far superior and will continue to bring what was lost with BBOS soon.
    Mr4aces and idssteve like this.
    08-26-14 02:27 PM
    As I have stated in previous posts, BBOS is sitting on a more archaic architecture and it wasn't built to support todays standard of media and data. I heard the WebKit browser that is used on BB7 was a pain to get to even work on BBOS. There are too many limitations that disrupt the flow of work for users. Some examples include limiting app storage to what is shared/allocated in the RAM vs. the internal storage. Most BB7 devices had up to 256-512MB RAM. The most we see on devices these days are 2-3GB RAM. On the other hand, BB10 devices have anywhere between 8GB-64GB of internal storage where apps can be stored and they don't bog down the OS when installed. Not to mention a restart isn't required after apps are installed.

Another issue is when an app crashes or has a lot to load on BBOS (i.e. BBM Groups), it often takes the whole OS down with it. So the user is sitting there for literally 10-15 minutes while the phone goes through a painful process that includes the infamous black clock (of death). It is difficult to get work done or even make / answer a simple call when this is happening.

An issue I often had was sending and receiving large files due to the size limitation of BIS. I now send 10-20MB ZIP files effortlessly on my Q10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but BIS/BES are proprietary services with BlackBerry, whereas now they have moved to a more BYOD environment with the addition of Exchange support. While it has shown some minor limitations, it is much more universal for the average user over BIS, and BES support is still present on BB10 for those that need the extra security.

BB10/QNX also holds a lot more potential for the future and has a history of supporting multi-core processors for the hardware it runs on. Unlike BBOS, it supports more than just JAVA and web based apps. It also supports C/C++ (with Cascades), JavaScript/CCS/HTML, ActionScript/AIR, or Java Android. This is MUCH more enticing for developers and we have seen many more rich applications on BB10 that bring the level of quality that Android and iOS bring.

There are many more and I am a user who has owned (and still own) multiple devices on both platforms over the years. BBOS has its strengths, but I feel BB10 is far superior and will continue to bring what was lost with BBOS soon.
    Thank you very much for this education. I usually start with only 280mb of RAM, with the multiple social medias I work and the 600 jpgs in my picture file, I have to pull the battery quit often. I have since secured internet and a PC so most of my media work is now done on the PC and I do not have to rely on the 9900 for all my internet functions. The 9900 is still highly used for emails and texting.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-26-14 05:16 PM
    Thank you very much for this education. I usually start with only 280mb of RAM, with the multiple social medias I work and the 600 jpgs in my picture file, I have to pull the battery quit often. I have since secured internet and a PC so most of my media work is now done on the PC and I do not have to rely on the 9900 for all my internet functions. The 9900 is still highly used for emails and texting.
    You're welcome. I tried to keep the comparison down to the OS level with the differences between BB10 and BBOS. The improvements in hardware like multi-core processors and larger battery life are a whole different story. So while I think BB10 takes some getting used to at first, once you adapt, it's a wonderful platform.

Hopefully there is an app that can help you with your use of posting to multiple platforms at once like the Social Feeds app.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-26-14 05:27 PM

BB10 is finally maturing but when will it get "Themes", for example... ?? How about GENUINE speed dial? The single biggest complaint we'd likely agree on is OS7's browser. But seems to me that could be improved with a better version... AND more device ram. Not the fault of the OS that it was virtually a

You are right, BBOS will too soon be coerced into obsolescence. Unless BB10.3.1 manages to incorporate some of the "lower stress" features of BBOS, some of us will truly lament "the good ole days". A lamentation based on CONTEMPORARY experience.
    1. I don't think, as a consumer, that BBOS is an abomination. It works very well. It's why I preferred the OS to Android and iPhone for so long. The OS worked. And it worked well. Every system has its vice and BBOS had its own. Maybe it was a pita to work on? Who knows? Maybe it was difficult to market against the other Major OS's out there?

2. Yes I agree that Speed dials and other shortcuts need to be present. Not only that but I sorely miss my convenience keys to get to my memopad quickly to jot down a quick note.

3. I disagree on the death of OS7 so soon. Many countries in the eastern hemisphere still heavily rely on those devices and OS. They are still receiving updates, we just don't hear from them too frequently.

Many of us legacy users remember the "good" in the good ol' days, not the regular grinding days of loading leaked OS's and having to pull the battery when we got the dreaded hour glass. Yes we loved those devices but when they gave us problems, they were a pita. Yes, I prefer BB10. I've never had to pull the battery for restart for an app, or got stuck with an hourglass. I'm a legacy device user who definitely welcomed the new OS with open arms. Many others are stuck in the past. They would feel disloyal to move on to the NOW.

Posted via Q10RR
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-26-14 05:36 PM
    1. I don't think, as a consumer, that BBOS is an abomination. It works very well. It's why I preferred the OS to Android and iPhone for so long. The OS worked. And it worked well. Every system has its vice and BBOS had its own. Maybe it was a pita to work on? Who knows? Maybe it was difficult to market against the other Major OS's out there?
    It does work well, and I also preferred BBOS to Android and iOS for many years. Today though, those other platforms have made huge strides to the point where I can't see myself going back to BBOS for my primary device. On the other hand, BB10 is a fusion of strengths BBOS had for communication, security, battery, etc. and rich app quality and a more modern, fluid UI like Android/iOS.

How about GENUINE speed dial?
    2. Yes I agree that Speed dials and other shortcuts need to be present. Not only that but I sorely miss my convenience keys to get to my memopad quickly to jot down a quick note.
    Speed dial works very well on BB10, so I'm not sure what you two are referring to. I can have visual thumbnails for preferred contacts whenever I open my calls menu/app, and assign contacts to single digit numbers where I can press and hold to call them.

3. I disagree on the death of OS7 so soon. Many countries in the eastern hemisphere still heavily rely on those devices and OS. They are still receiving updates, we just don't hear from them too frequently.

Many of us legacy users remember the "good" in the good ol' days, not the regular grinding days of loading leaked OS's and having to pull the battery when we got the dreaded hour glass. Yes we loved those devices but when they gave us problems, they were a pita. Yes, I prefer BB10. I've never had to pull the battery for restart for an app, or got stuck with an hourglass. I'm a legacy device user who definitely welcomed the new OS with open arms. Many others are stuck in the past. They would feel disloyal to move on to the NOW.
    Yes, BB7 is still prevalent in certain countries for many reasons. For one, they are more affordable. Another area that is important is the compression that BIS/BES brings on BBOS. I use a lot more data on BB10 than I did on BB7 for example. At the same time, this limited my experience in ways like not allowing to send files over a certain size and/or images being compressed when being uploaded to social media platforms. On the other hand, I still enjoy this factor of BBM on BB10 where I can quickly send an image to a friend, and BBM will compress it on the fly. If they would like the full quality version, they can request it. The option is there.

So while BBOS has its advantages in areas like cost and compression, I feel BB10 devices can make up for them as they get cheaper and the software develops. The Z3 for example is a solid device from what I have heard, and it is more affordable than other BB10 devices.

As long as BlackBerry makes this transition as smooth as possible, and educates its legacy users into their new platform, I feel they will be successful.
    08-26-14 06:08 PM

Thanks for the up close explanation. I agree, JAVA itself could, at times, be considered an "abomination" in it's own right. Stepping back and up a few levels to the user level, i also agree that BBOS had it's infuriating moments. That said, many of us are now experiencing the maturity of an impressively stable and capable BB7.1.

BBOS ram handling was admittedly abysmal but why is that? Was it an addressing limitation in the OS? I know our Bolds came loaded with 768MB ram. Yet, other implementations of SN 8255 came equipped with 1024MB low power ddr. OS7 addressing limitation? Or?

Irregardless, stepping back out of the weeds to the user level, QNX's microkernel OS offers wonderful potential. It IS, justifiably, the future. Problem is that future is only just now starting to arrive. QNX's lack of smart phone experience has prolonged their learning curve, IMO. Not to slam them, building a new OS from scratch is an aggressive undertaking for software capable giants like Apple. It has taken BBRY/QNX a justifiably and predictably great while to get BB10 to maturity. At least into adolescence.

The failure of strategy, IMHO, was in so effectively abandoning BBOS before BB10 was ready to replace it, IMO. And THEN attempting to coerce legacy users into an OS and device infrastructure that simply wasn't yet ready to fill legacy users' needs.

Microsoft carried fat OS's along side NT for a good 8yrs while NT matured into XP. All while MS made big bucks each step of the way. Mimicking that strategy might have proven at least a little more profitable for BBRY, IMO.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-26-14 10:38 PM
    Thanks for the up close explanation. I agree, JAVA itself could, at times, be considered an "abomination" in it's own right. Stepping back and up a few levels to the user level, i also agree that BBOS had it's infuriating moments. That said, many of us are now experiencing the maturity of an impressively stable and capable BB7.1.

BBOS ram handling was admittedly abysmal but why is that? Was it an addressing limitation in the OS? I know our Bolds came loaded with 768MB ram. Yet, other implementations of SN 8255 came equipped with 1024MB low power ddr. OS7 addressing limitation? Or?
    It gets pretty technical for me, but while I imagine it'd be possible to use all that, BB7 is probably the bottleneck in itself.

Irregardless, stepping back out of the weeds to the user level, QNX's microkernel OS offers wonderful potential. It IS, justifiably, the future. Problem is that future is only just now starting to arrive. QNX's lack of smart phone experience has prolonged their learning curve, IMO. Not to slam them, building a new OS from scratch is an aggressive undertaking for software capable giants like Apple. It has taken BBRY/QNX a justifiably and predictably great while to get BB10 to maturity. At least into adolescence.
    Remembering how long it took for Android and iOS to develop over the years, I actually think BB10 has been coming along very well for the 1-2 years it has been out. I guess you can add a year if the PlayBook is considered.

The failure of strategy, IMHO, was in so effectively abandoning BBOS before BB10 was ready to replace it, IMO. And THEN attempting to coerce legacy users into an OS and device infrastructure that simply wasn't yet ready to fill legacy users' needs.

Microsoft carried fat OS's along side NT for a good 8yrs while NT matured into XP. All while MS made big bucks each step of the way. Mimicking that strategy might have proven at least a little more profitable for BBRY, IMO.
    I agree here. Though BBOS wasn't completely abandoned. Since BB10's launch, BBOS devices still have outsold BB10 devices for most of the time. If I'm not mistaken, BB10 is catching up if not exceeded sales of BBOS already.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-14 10:53 PM
    Exceeded last quarter.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 12:48 AM
    It gets pretty technical for me, but while I imagine it'd be possible to use all that, BB7 is probably the bottleneck in itself.

Remembering how long it took for Android and iOS to develop over the years, I actually think BB10 has been coming along very well for the 1-2 years it has been out. I guess you can add a year if the PlayBook is considered.

I agree here. Though BBOS wasn't completely abandoned. Since BB10's launch, BBOS devices still have outsold BB10 devices for most of the time. If I'm not mistaken, BB10 is catching up if not exceeded sales of BBOS already.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, 768 isn't a "clean octal". Which might circumstantially indicate some non-hardware limit?? Idk. If BBOS hit some internal wall, that might help explain their development "abandonment". ?? The abandonment I refered to was development. In all fairness, BBRY has rolled out some incremental OS updates fairly recently. Its just a shame they couldn't find resources to develop a 9901, or something, that better utilized SN 8255's 1024MB ram capabilities. New models like that DO sell and might have taken enough pressure off of BB10 to let it grow in a more organic way. ?? The approach bbry has taken seems analogous to IF MS had abandoned 16bit fat after introducing NT back in '93. NT was NOT ready for "prime time". Without 95, 98 & ME to keep pressure off of NT development, we might all, today, be using Mac, Linux, or "Quantum"...
    08-27-14 07:05 AM
    Yeah, 768 isn't a "clean octal". Which might circumstantially indicate some non-hardware limit?? Idk. If BBOS hit some internal wall, that might help explain their development "abandonment". ?? The abandonment I refered to was development. In all fairness, BBRY has rolled out some incremental OS updates fairly recently. Its just a shame they couldn't find resources to develop a 9901, or something, that better utilized SN 8255's 1024MB ram capabilities. New models like that DO sell and might have taken enough pressure off of BB10 to let it grow in a more organic way. ?? The approach bbry has taken seems analogous to IF MS had abandoned 16bit fat after introducing NT back in '93. NT was NOT ready for "prime time". Without 95, 98 & ME to keep pressure off of NT development, we might all, today, be using Mac, Linux, or "Quantum"...
    If I remember correctly the 99x0 had 256MB of RAM reserved for "Liquid Graphics", whatever that ended up doing.

Edit: http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9900-review

The 768MB of RAM is up from the 512MB found on current in-market BlackBerry Smartphones, but unfortunately the user in terms of additional Application Storage doesn't realize this increased capacity. We found Application Storage Free Space out of the box to be 229.9MB (with unused languages removed), which is actually less free space than my Bold 9780 had on it when I made the switch to the 9900 (it was sitting at 242MB of free space). I reached out to RIM here to see what was eating up all this additional memory and received the following response:

The additional RAM is used to power the capabilities of Liquid Graphics and the higher resolution displays found in these BlackBerry 7 devices. The amount of free application space remaining on the device is dependent on the number of languages preloaded on the phone, applications and user data in memory. In the Applications Management screen users can manage/delete their applications as needed and delete unwanted language packs. In addition, many applications efficiently utilize both the on-device Device Memory and Media Card to store portions of the application. This is true for many of the larger, graphics intensive applications such as the 3D Roller Coaster Rush Jurassic 2 game.

So is this slight drop in Application Storage memory a big deal? With 512MB of RAM in BlackBerry 6 devices, I've personally never come close to running out of memory, so I don't foresee it causing an issue for the vast majority of BlackBerry owners. It just sucks from a value proposition standpoint - I think most CrackBerry readers, myself included, we're under the impression that the jump to 768MB of RAM would mean a ~200+ megs of additional memory to take advantage of, and that's not the case.
    Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    08-27-14 07:12 AM
    If I remember correctly the 99x0 had 256MB of RAM reserved for "Liquid Graphics", whatever that ended up doing.

Edit: BlackBerry Bold 9900 Review | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, Thurask, good info. If they could have carved that 256 from 1024, they'd've had 768 USABLE. And many of us would have a little more hair on our head. . One of those "fateful" choices. Driven by OS limitations? Or by "bean counters"? No beans, no bytes... Lol.
    08-27-14 08:00 AM
    People seem to not have understood my thread. BB07 is dead. I am suggesting it would be awesome if on the "classic" BlackBerry there was a version of bb10 that was written to perform the same as 7.1. In such that if you hit the menu button the same menus as bbos 7.1 came up. I never understood why bb10 was so different from original OS.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-14 10:07 PM
43 12