All I can say is give it time. I felt the same way when I got the Q10 coming from the curve- but now I love my Q10. It's a huge change and there are little things you learn along the way. The phone learns too so all I can say is don't give up

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-15-15 01:50 AM
    Are you suggesting that BBM has lost users because it has transitioned to BBM10, or, BBM as we know it on BB10 and has become too complicated to use? BBM already started losing users on a large scale when you were still happy with your BBM on OS7. People moved to other platforms, where BBM wasn't even available (yet) and found other messaging apps. Now it's cross platform, but it joined the party too late where others took over. You already mentioned whatsapp in this thread, which is where people moved on to. BBM is pretty easy, I've made other people use it on both BB10 and iPhones and the complexity of the app itself is not the issue, BBM has changed to 'just another app' where others are dominating the market place. Isn't the amount of users on your BBM at his moment not equal to the amount when you were still on OS7? If so, then why blame the new BBM?

Posted from my Square Monstrosity!
    Your right about people started moving from BBM7. Part of that early movement was the other phones being produced and BlackBerry promises that weren't kept not because BBM7 was bad 2-3 years ago. I'm also not "blaming" BBM. Just saying it could be easier for non-work related users.

Never said BBM7 was primary used as group messaging. It was used more for sharing social media when there weren't as many ways to receive information on specific subject matter. So people turned to FB and TW. BBM7 was a way to feed this. Where today there are 30+ ways to get information/share. Almost to many.

Can't confirmed but FB paid $16b for Whatsapps? They bought this with revenue from these growth years. They also realize that they have to diversify or they will be the one that gets knocked down by a dragon slayer. Look at Google and Amazon.

Blackberry is no longer one of the top mobile manufactures. JC knows BlackBerry's can no longer compete so why try. BlackBerry is building on being diversifying.

If BBM10 was designed correctly from the start it would have been easier to stay in step with the trending of the mobile device industry. So yes, BBM10 has been losing market share, but not in the portions during the last 9 months to a year. I heard 1m in a month vs 100m joining Whatsapp.

I didn't want to go into all this, but I was called out as stupid and lazy in this thread. The thread was started to express my opinion that I feel BBM10 is to difficult as it is written now to grow and get new users. Unless BBM10 changes 6 months from now the only ones using BBM10 will be BlackBerry users and Enterprise subscribers. Of course this is just my unwanted opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-15-15 at 02:22 AM.
    01-15-15 02:02 AM
    I think it depends on how you log in into social media apps for the first time on phone. For example, if you logged in on Fb, there will be a pop up asks you to sync contacts. If you choose no, then no.
    Did that 3-4 times and 2 different FaceBook apps. I'm not the only one that had this problem. There's a recent thread(s) on CB saying FB was fixed then when people loaded they discovered it wasn't fixed. I sure B1aze replied back saying it wasn't. Don't know if it's fixed now.

Your very lucky if it did not happen to you. Would be interesting to know if your using a Classic. Might be device specific.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 02:35 AM
    Bluenose - thanks for the tip.

I use this typing name feature all the time on 10.2. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I have a BlackBerry Q device.

I'm alarmed to hear it's not available on BlackBerry 10.3. Can you confirm that simply typing the start of a name no longer works in 10.3?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 05:45 AM
    I went from a succession of Bolds to the Q10 last year, and I too found the initial learning curve (small c ) a bit steeper than I expected.

However, honesty, a few weeks later, and it all makes sense. The q10 isn't without issues, but it is genuinely the easiest computing device (mobile or otherwise) I have ever used.

Stick with it, it becomes intuitive.

I have used other mobile platforms as well as BlackBerry. Picking up an iphone, for example, it's difficult not to be impressed with how intuitive it is to use from the get-go. This is great if you're in a mobile phone shop and deciding what phone to pick purely based on ease-of-use. This isn't the case with BlackBerry 10.

However, with the iphone, the limitations become apparent the more you use it.

With the q10, it's the opposite - the strengths come out.

Best way to describe BlackBerry 10 is as a little computer, not as a mobile operating system.
    Hope this helps.

Tom

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 05:59 AM
    What is so much different about BBM on BB10? You can use it, or any other social messaging that was on BBOS. I must be missing something here...

Are you saying they should have trashed it? What does an RSS reader and BBM have to do with each other?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-15-15 06:18 AM
    Enjoy them, spoil them, and hand them back.

You'll get BB10. It's really a great OS. I personally am no fan of the Classic however. That toolbelt is unneeded with the gesture based OS on the phone.
    They put gestures on my tool belt phone!! How dare they?!!
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-15-15 07:10 AM
    What is so much different about BBM on BB10? You can use it, or any other social messaging that was on BBOS. I must be missing something here...

Are you saying they should have trashed it? What does an RSS reader and BBM have to do with each other?
    I don't have my 9900 with me today as I'm away from home, so I'll explain it the best I can from memory. Please excuse me if I make an error.

If your on a social media, reading a article or even an email from your boss that you need to pass onto another worker. Anything. BBM7 allows you to share this by email, MMS (txing), FB, up to 5 TW accounts, a BBM group(s) or BBM channel(s). You can also do some multiple sharing.

Example: I'm receiving RSS feeds. I categorize the feeds i.e. Nascar F1 NHRA Indy = motorsports, college football (CFB) NFL = football. I have 5 different categories for 5 TW, 5 BBM channels, 5 FB accounts and 5 BBM groups. BBM7 allows you to do multiple sharing at the same time plus by email or MMS (texting).

BBOS7 allowed 5 Twitter accounts and up to 10 email account BBM10 allows only one TW and 5 emails.

I accept BBM10 does not allow multiple sharing and BB10 only has 5 email and 1 TW account(s). What is hard to understand is why BBM has restricted the social feed.

That is BBM7 in a nutshell. It would take pages for me to explain more. As you said my post are way to long now.

You might be wondering why all the bother with multiple accounts. I had a retail/wholesale,shop and a Web store I started in 1994. In addition I manufactured high end brake kits. Not having enough I had. Multiple websites and 3 different blogs/forums and owned as many as 700 urls to buy and sell along with custom email service. The feeds fed different parts of this. Thereby increasing traffic and sales. What remains is the special interest I want to retain. And every year that list is cut back.

Other people:
    That being all said this post/thread has gotten way off the subject matter. So I'm not going to reply to any more question not related to, "Why I think BBM10 is harder to use than BBM7." You asked and I wanted to help you understand how BBM7 works. I should have restricted the thread to BBM7 vs BBM10 as far as how to use it.

Please restrict additional post to BBM7 vs BBM10 being harder to use. This thread is getting way to long. And BBM10 is what it is. I've used it, I know its limitations and accept it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-15-15 at 09:37 AM.
    01-15-15 09:00 AM
    I think you are mixing OS and BBM. I have 6 emails at present, and know you can add many more. Twitter IDK, since I don't use it. From BBM I can share via any account, remember, Evernote, text and many more options. Maybe there's something wrong with your current OS.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-15-15 09:18 AM
    That is where BBM7 and BB10 is different. OS7 and BBM7 are one with the hub and multiple sharing.

My BBM10.3 restricts to only 5

6 email account but you can only put 5 on BB10.3 You almost have to have a GMAIL and Hotmail account to load android apps on BlackBerry. That leaves only 3 open. Work email? An old Yahoo? So being restricted to 5 email accounts you have use forwarding.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-15 09:30 AM
    That is where BBM7 and BB10 is different. OS7 and BBM7 are one with the hub and multiple sharing.

My BBM10.3 restricts to only 5

6 email account but you can only put 5 on BB10.3 You almost have to have a GMAIL and Hotmail account to load android apps on BlackBerry. That leaves only 3 open. Work email? An old Yahoo? So being restricted to 5 email accounts you have use forwarding.

Posted via CB10
    It BB10, not BBM10. First is OS second a messaging app. I have 6 emails on here, and have had more. I don't know why you think you're restricted to 5.
    01-15-15 09:38 AM
    Sorry I just added a 6th account. It didn't work for me when I was trying to set up 10 accounts from the 9900. So I thought it was restricted to 5.

I was having problems with syncing the 2 devices and setup so I had to limit the transfer and manually added emails. I did not try to add more than 5 after the wipe.

You are correct thank you.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-15-15 09:43 AM
    Frankly it sounds like to me, you need to sit down and take some time to sort out your contracts period. As you said, if you type Mary then all the Marys start popping up.... Well what would expect? The phone isn't going to read your mind as to which particular Mary you want to call. As well, if you can't tell which Mary is which in your phone there inlies the problem.
    Lmao..hilarious

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic
    01-15-15 01:58 PM
    Go into assistant and unselect the social accounts so it doesn't search them from universal search.
    BigBadWulf and Mr4aces like this.
    01-15-15 08:33 PM
    Sorry I just added a 6th account. It didn't work for me when I was trying to set up 10 accounts from the 9900. So I thought it was restricted to 5.

I was having problems with syncing the 2 devices and setup so I had to limit the transfer and manually added emails. I did not try to add more than 5 after the wipe.

You are correct thank you.

Posted via CB10
    It's ok, you're old, I understand.
    kbz1960 and Mr4aces like this.
    01-15-15 10:02 PM
    keeping my bold9900 i dont need a bb10 phone my phone can do anything that i need it too

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Yep I know where you're coming from. Just got the Passport and wondering why they change software just because they can??? So many more steps needed in the basics.
    I do have to say that the phone specs and speed are awesome. Shame about the OS. Might have to go the Classic for ease of use? Love and missing that toolbelt.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-16-15 06:01 PM
    I love the 9900 for many reasons and BBOS7 was fine. My concern with any BBOS device is how long carriers will support BIS because without that, the phone is not very useful except for calls and texting.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-16-15 06:56 PM
    Probably until most of them switch the new platform

Z 30
    01-16-15 08:20 PM
    I think the will probley do a update to rewrite the os so it doesn't need bis

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-16-15 09:04 PM
    I love the 9900 for many reasons and BBOS7 was fine. My concern with any BBOS device is how long carriers will support BIS because without that, the phone is not very useful except for calls and texting.

Posted via CB10
    I agree and those are my concerns as well.

As I stated before, I'm on the fence at the moment, since presently I could not be more happy with my 9900.

Reading about Classics issues of limited functionality also won't provide much encouragement.

So I see more and more, that for me changing to Classic really only comes down to 9900's BIS being no longer supported and that time has has sure not arrived yet.

In the meantime, I can let Classic mature, let all the bugs getting ironed out and if that time is right, I can still switch to Classic, which by then will be much cheaper. Perhaps Classic II will be out by then too.

As for supporting Blackberry with my immidiate purchase, well let the "market" worry about that. If Blackberry goes down, they can only blame themselves. They could have easily brought out Classic with much of BOTH OS7 and OS10 functionality. It's not like we did not wait LONG ENOUGH for Classic to be released.
    Gazza12 likes this.
    01-17-15 11:22 AM
    There's an app that allows you to share something to multiple accounts at the same time. QuickPost.
    It'll be added to BlackBerry 10 someday.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 11:27 AM
    There's an app that allows you to share something to multiple accounts at the same time. QuickPost.
    It'll be added to BlackBerry 10 someday.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the info I will check it out on my wife's phone.
    Gnewsread, Feedminder BBM10 all feed social media. Where it is lacking is not one feeds the combination of FB TW BBM Channels at the same time.
    01-17-15 01:01 PM
    I'll purchase a new BB in a few months and have been reading posts that seem relevant.
    I've skimmed these pages and failed to see 2 points explecitly addresses, both of which I suspect the OP had in mind: Time and clarity.

I've had 3 BB's: a 7130e, a 9630, and a 9930. I'm now trying to decide between a Classic and a Q10. With all 3 BB's EVERYTHING involved in set up and migration was either done automaticaly OR you got a screen clearly stating what was needed. With android OS I frequently get cryptic error messages asking for something, but I have no idea what. It sounds like BB10 might be getting cryptic, perhaps?

The other issue is time. If one isn't a tech person, "time" to sit down with and get to kow a new OS only counts as available if one is mentally and physically awake and UNinterrupted. And no, the non-tech person is not going to have any way of knowing how much UNinterrupted time he's going to need. If the non-tech person has responsibilities and obligations this could be a bit difficult. Simply being willing to spend the time and energy is not enough.

I've had my 9930 for almost 2 years and I still can't use half of its wonderful features. Why? See the previous paragraph, lol. That said, I don't whine or blame the OS. My lack of time is not the fault of the OS.

However, BB should make things as transparent as possible, especially to new users who have limited time and energy to spend on learning a new OS, bearing in mind that the user will likely NOT be the one setting the limits on said time and energy.
    01-17-15 02:45 PM
    I'll purchase a new BB in a few months and have been reading posts that seem relevant.
    I've skimmed these pages and failed to see 2 points explecitly addresses, both of which I suspect the OP had in mind: Time and clarity.

I've had 3 BB's: a 7130e, a 9630, and a 9930. I'm now trying to decide between a Classic and a Q10. With all 3 BB's EVERYTHING involved in set up and migration was either done automaticaly OR you got a screen clearly stating what was needed. With android OS I frequently get cryptic error messages asking for something, but I have no idea what. It sounds like BB10 might be getting cryptic, perhaps?

The other issue is time. If one isn't a tech person, "time" to sit down with and get to kow a new OS only counts as available if one is mentally and physically awake and UNinterrupted. And no, the non-tech person is not going to have any way of knowing how much UNinterrupted time he's going to need. If the non-tech person has responsibilities and obligations this could be a bit difficult. Simply being willing to spend the time and energy is not enough.

I've had my 9930 for almost 2 years and I still can't use half of its wonderful features. Why? See the previous paragraph, lol. That said, I don't whine or blame the OS. My lack of time is not the fault of the OS.

However, BB should make things as transparent as possible, especially to new users who have limited time and energy to spend on learning a new OS, bearing in mind that the user will likely NOT be the one setting the limits on said time and energy.
    BB10 has both a solid help built in, along with a tutorial app, there's a guide with the phone in case someone desires to RTFM (I know, right? ), online help themselves, and we have a ton of how-to threads along with stickies, and the sometimes overwhelming plethora of normal threads.

The truth is out there, and readily available. It does take an investment in time, like any new phone would. I suppose you could go with the simplicity of iPhone, if the interest was more in lessening the leading curve than (imo) increasing the using pleasure.
    Laura Knotek and kbz1960 like this.
    01-17-15 04:18 PM
    Coming from Bold9900 to the Classic. I'm trying real hard to learn BBM10. It has changed drastically. It is no longer easy for people to use. OS7 was simple to use and there was so many more thing you could do with it. Like multiple social sharing. I think BlackBerry should have just made another program and named it BBME for enterprise groups.

Has anyone coming directly from OS7 to the Classic tried reading the tutorial for using BBM10? Waste of time.

It is to difficult to keep personal contacts separate from your social contacts. Why would you want them added to your contact list? All that does is adds more time to you search. To form a BBM group they have to be added to your contact list.

Who the hell wants a 1000+ social people in your personal contact list? Oh yeah, just group them, but when you open CONTACTS to make a call to your aunt the "ALL" comes up, so you have start typing her name Mary Smith. Now 100 Mary's come up before you add "S" for Smith. Type the "S" and 75 Mary's come up with the last name beginning with "S". Get my point.

The average user want it simple, fast and easy.
    Attachment 327304
    Dude... Honestly, read every post here and your original post really just sounds like a whole lot of whining about a few little things that you don't like. If you enjoy OS7 so much, stay with it until it dies gasping and expires. Save us the ranting and rather juvenile whimpering here... I've used every BlackBerry since 2008 and yeah, it's a big change from OS7 to BB10, but damn Man, it ain't the imminent failure of the universe and the sky isn't crashing down that you seem to see. It's just new. Stop crying and learn it and if you don't like it- don't use it. Simple.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-15 04:27 PM
159 ... 34567