You apparently don't know my back ground,
    I'd be surprised if anyone knows anyone's background on the forums... Less the obvious people like Bla1ze and co. But then again, do we really know their background. Doubt it.
    01-13-15 09:28 AM
    Hey there, BB10 is far easier than BB7, you're just familiar with the latter. If you picked up an Android, iOS or WP device, you'd probably say the same thing - not because you are right, but because you're used to it.

However, the contacts thingy is actually a bug that hasn't been fixed since 10.0 on both, Facebook and Twitter, and I honestly don't know why people keep defending the damn thing. That's plain fanboyism.

Yes, the ability to have all of your contacts in one place is marvelous, but some people don't like it. I personally don't. I like to keep it clean, with only the contacts and their info I input myself.

Now, your complaint would be less valid if they didn't even allow you to not sync them, but they do! Both apps ask you if you want to sync your contacts, and even if you select "no" it still does.

Summarizing, selecting to sync contacts throws them all of them in your contacts app, and that's OK, but selecting to not sync them still syncs the info of your existing contacts; and the whole rest of them is still available when you search using the phone app, when you use compose, when you use the assistant, etc, even if you also disable it on the contacts app itself... it just doesn't work.

I just deleted those two and downloaded twittly for twitter and nothing for Facebook, since there's no 3rd party app.

I cannot wrap my head around people saying that the current implementation is the perfect implementation. Everything BlackBerry is always perfect, right?
    01-13-15 09:31 AM
    Ya, the Contacts is the biggest gripe I have with BB10. It works well enough for me but it is LONG overdue for a fundamental code rewrite.

From a Z30
    Mr4aces and flyingsolid like this.
    01-13-15 09:42 AM
    Why not post comments to improve the software instead of how I'm stupid, lazy, old, and want BB10 customized fur me, READ the thread, Why have less?
    First, the title of the thread is "BB10 is way too complicated", not "please post your suggestions to improve BB10".

Second, I have posted many suggestions in the various BlackBerry Beta forums where the suggestions are actually read by BlackBerry. Why rant here?

Third, I have never even hinted that you are stupid or old. Ever. I've only commented that your use case is very unique. Please don't put derogatory words in my mouth.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    jas1978, andy957 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    01-13-15 09:46 AM
    BBOS was actually extremely complex, with endless options, settings, menus, long button presses, short button presses, hidden icons, BIS settings, email required BIS while other apps didn't, etc. It would take a brand new user much time to learn.

The issue here is that you obviously mastered BBOS (after many years of use I imagine), so it obviously seemed easy at the end,.. and now have to learn something new. Luckily this something new is much simpler (albeit consequently missing of some of those granular controls and options BBOS offered).

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 09:49 AM
    However, the contacts thingy is actually a bug that hasn't been fixed since 10.0 on both, Facebook and Twitter, and I honestly don't know why people keep defending the damn thing. That's plain fanboyism.
    It's not fanboyism if 'the way it works' works for someone. I have contacts sync with Gmail, FB & Twitter and only chose Gmail to view in the Contacts app. When I search in the Phone or Contacts app, I don't find any FB or Twitter contact just like I chose to.

If I wanna tweet or FB to one of the contacts on those networks, I go to the Hub, choose the social network from the list and compose a tweet/ message. The list of contacts appears without any issues and I can choose the contact I need. That's how it works and it works perfectly for me.
    01-13-15 10:13 AM
    I have Facebook and Twitter installed on my Q10 using the latest beta OS 10.3.1 and I don't have the problem that the OP is talking about. When I'm in the Contacts app or when I'm in the Phone app, I don't get contacts from Facebook or Twitter. I have the linking/merge off and the accounts set to off in the Contacts app.

And as far as I'm concerned, this is not "complicated" but VERY useful, particularly with LinkedIn. I've been able to get contact information of some people just by enabling the account.

Ya, the Contacts is the biggest gripe I have with BB10. It works well enough for me but it is LONG overdue for a fundamental code rewrite.
    It works perfectly in beta OS 10.3.1.1949
    01-13-15 10:44 AM
    I'd challenge the OP to find any platform to jump to from BB7 that isn't more feature rich and therefore a bit more complex in some areas. I'm not saying that BB10 is perfect, but it's built for speed and simplicity compared to the others.

OP, search the forums for each issue you're having, and you'll see that all this has been discussed before and workarounds are out there. You'll get used to it and before you know it you'll wonder why you didn't upgrade sooner.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-15 11:45 AM
    Ah the contacts app issue. Well, I'm currently using an iphone (ios 8) but I have used BB10 for quite some time using different devices. Blackberry just cannot seem to fix their contacts app. I've contacted Michael Clewley at BB highlighting this issue but seems its yet not fixed although he said it would be fixed in upcoming releases. Turning off the social networks integration in the contacts app DOES NOT function as it should. Its broken and facebook/twitter contacts still show up in search or in the app. I mentioned to Clewley how I thought Facebook and Twitter BB10 apps should not have access to the contacts app automatically by default upon install. The issue is that Facebook and Twitter apps sync your contacts with the contacts app in the phone without your intervention. Once contacts are written on the phone even if you turn them off they just wont go away unless you delete the app itself. If BB could fix this probably this would have been done by now I feel your pain. Hang in there!
    01-13-15 11:46 AM
    I have Facebook and Twitter installed on my Q10 using the latest beta OS 10.3.1 and I don't have the problem that the OP is talking about. When I'm in the Contacts app or when I'm in the Phone app, I don't get contacts from Facebook or Twitter. I have the linking/merge off and the accounts set to off in the Contacts app.

And as far as I'm concerned, this is not "complicated" but VERY useful, particularly with LinkedIn. I've been able to get contact information of some people just by enabling the account.

It works perfectly in beta OS 10.3.1.1949
    Well, then unlucky me, because it's been like that on 3 different models since 10.0 on official releases and leaks.

So, if you, on the assistant, start typing a Facebook contact's name, it doesn't appear at all?
    01-13-15 11:46 AM
    Ah the contacts app issue. Well, I'm currently using an iphone (ios 8) but I have used BB10 for quite some time using different devices. Blackberry just cannot seem to fix their contacts app. I've contacted Michael Clewley at BB highlighting this issue but seems its yet not fixed although he said it would be fixed in upcoming releases. Turning off the social networks integration in the contacts app DOES NOT function as it should. Its broken and facebook/twitter contacts still show up in search or in the app. I mentioned to Clewley how I thought Facebook and Twitter BB10 apps should not have access to the contacts app automatically by default upon install. The issue is that Facebook and Twitter apps sync your contacts with the contacts app in the phone without your intervention. Once contacts are written on the phone even if you turn them off they just wont go away unless you delete the app itself. If BB could fix this probably this would have been done by now I feel your pain. Hang in there!
    "They just don't get it"

What is really dumb is having to use Gnewsreader to do 80-90% of what BBMOS7 does. When it originally came from RIM.

Isn't it great to keep buying apps just so you can maintain what you had.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-13-15 at 12:11 PM.
    01-13-15 11:54 AM
    I not the only dumb a** that think BBM is to hard to use
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...august-988733/
    01-13-15 12:23 PM
    Isn't it great to keep buying apps just so you can maintain what you had.
    No, not at all. Problem is we don't have a choice. It's even worse on other platforms.

Unless you can build and make your own phone with OS, we have to make due with what we get.

I'm done complaining about the backwardness of BB10 and just post my suggestions on the BB Beta forums in hopes that they listen.
    01-13-15 12:31 PM
    I don't have any of the issues that others seem to have with their contacts. I turned off all of the accounts except local contacts and that's all I see. Frankly, I'm not even really sure why people go into their contacts app. I hardly use mine at all. Everything I want to do can be accomplished without ever going into the contacts app. The only possible complaint that I have is when I choose to send a new text message and I type in a contact name, why oh why does it make me choose between a person's mobile or home number or email address? Home numbers don't text and if I wanted to send an email, I'd have picked email instead of text message! This is a wasted step in the process!
    01-13-15 12:39 PM
    Honestly I wish there was a way to unfriend random Facebook and Skype people from the contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-13-15 12:46 PM
    No, not at all. Problem is we don't have a choice. It's even worse on other platforms.

Unless you can build and make your own phone with OS, we have to make due with what we get.

I'm done complaining about the backwardness of BB10 and just post my suggestions on the BB Beta forums in hopes that they listen.
    It is worst on other platforms. BB has always have innovated software and devices. But sometimes they take 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

I'm glad you also voice your opinion to improve BB. This where BB users shine.

We all want BB to succeed, but making it difficult does not help the new user. If BB is not called out they will not improve.
    01-13-15 12:48 PM
    But sometimes they take 2 steps forward and 1 step back
    That's still progress
    eduzojordan and rocah360 like this.
    01-13-15 12:53 PM
    I read this entire thread and I think the main gripe from the OP is pretty understandable. He is unhappy with the native contact manager in bb10. Everyone can agree that it needs to be updated. It duplicates to much and does not give you tools to consolidate them well. As for social contacts, it may best to not select to have contacts sync for those apps. There are also 3rd party contact apps that cleanup and sort out the contacts. Otherwise it is what it is...

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-13-15 01:05 PM
    I have heard this argument over and over...BB10 is too complicated. It isn't complicated...it's NEW. Just as Microsoft updates their OS every once in a while, there is a learning curve involved. If you move to IOS or Android...same thing.

Trust me, BB10 is the most brilliant mobile OS out there and getting better with each successive update...very intuitive and far more efficient that BBOS. With time you will come to see that. There are tons of tutorials online for you to watch to help you out.

People inherently do not like change, but trust me, once you grasp BB10, there is no going back.
    01-13-15 01:47 PM
    I agree. I now have a Z30 which I like a lot, but I also missed the simplicity and I will say greater functionality of OS7.

I was hoping that the BB10 OS phone would be a Bold 9900 with more speed and a better camera, and possibly more apps. I am eyeing the Classic, which is what I thought the new BB10 phones would be from the beginning
    Mr4aces and AllanQuatermain like this.
    01-13-15 02:23 PM
    "They just don't get it"
    The issue you are facing with universal search and contacts is a bug. I have been dealing with it for a year now.

You need to stop saying blackberry doesn't get it. BlackBerry is the only company who gets it. Bb10 is 2 years old. They haven't matured like bbos has. I work in app development for one of the largest retailers in the world. We have a very long list of enhancements and defects that we prioritize and we try to schedule and fix. I can't imagine what it must be like to develop an entire OS.

You can't just assume BlackBerry devs are ignorant or stupid because something you want isn't there or is malfunctioning. Software development is difficult and expensive. It takes time. Be patient.

Remember, hen the iphone launched it didn't have mms, or bluetooth, or 3g

Posted via CB10
    highos, cbvinh, Alain_A and 5 others like this.
    01-13-15 03:08 PM
    Considering I recall reading some of your other threads... may I make a suggestion to you? The big long crazy disgruntled rant is doing nothing to help you. In fact, the overall tone in your posts makes me just want to argue with you.

Yes, we understand you are upset because your phone doesn't function like your old Bold 9900. And, it does seem you understand that you are the minority and it is unlikely you are going to get what you want. So, is the whole point of this just to let off some steam, are you asking for validation and comfort in your complaints, or do you actually expect that this type of ranting will make some head way. I'm guessing you must realize that it will not. I'm guessing you must realize that BlackBerry will never go back to OS7 and that BB10 with all of its changes is here to stay.

So... why don't you try to tone it down a bit and create an actual discussion rather than I giant rant (although I do admit, sometimes a rant is called for). I tell you what, you will probably get a lot more sympathy and may in fact encourage some changes. I know I have seen things that I have requested or commented about in the forums come to fruition. Take a deep breath, think about what you'd like to see, think of why this would be beneficial, and leave out the ranting and how BB10 is such a failure.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." -Reinhold Niebuhr
    twirlyboy, cbvinh and allsportsfan like this.
    01-13-15 03:16 PM
    Just like somebody pointed, it depends on "...very unique set of needs..."
    I have used BB 8310, 8520, 9780 and 9900, at those times I considered BB OS good and easy to use (except for hour-glass delay).
    Now, after using Z10 and Z30 (current phone) I think BB OS is old, slow and not as easy to use as BB 10. Yeah, BB 10 is far from perfect, but is way better than BB OS considering is not two years old yet. Android and iOS in contrast are 10 and 8 years old.
    Just like with many things in life, is better not to live in the past...if BB OS and BB legacy devices were so good, fast and easy to use; why so many hard-core professional BB users switched to Android and iOS?
    twirlyboy likes this.
    01-13-15 03:34 PM
    It's only complicated because you are trying to put square pegs in a round hole. You like things a certain way, and every other way you consider "complicated" or "worse".

Simply because BlackBerry didn't tailor BB10 to your very unique, outlier needs, doesn't mean they don't "get it". They just choose not to "get you" because you represent one device sale - and you bought one anyway!

For me, also coming from a 9900, I find BB10 far more powerful overall, AND a model of simplicity.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.1949
    Wow! You're responses towards the OP are top notch. Loving it!

@OP the contents app is as complicated as you make in out to be. If you don't want any social media info within your contacts then do as others have suggested and review your setting to tailor then to your needs. It's not required for you to apply all types of social account information, so if is bothers you then shut it all off. BB10 contact app is trying to synchronize people's multiple pieces of information they have, that is usually scattered everywhere. Could a better job at placing that information be done? Maybe. But if you're unwilling to commit to a new learning curve upon transitioning to BB10, then I'm afraid you'll be left behind.

Remember, there is such a thing as a bad consumer index, don't be so reluctant to learn and become part of the consumer group a company is willing to forgo!

Look! It's Zedzilla 30!
    eduzojordan likes this.
    01-13-15 03:47 PM
    Came from a 9900 as well to a Q10 and I find the Facebook (and other social media apps like LinkedIn or Twitter) contacts to be frustrating too. I don't want my phone contacts saturated with FB friends. I don't mind their pictures being updated, but I don't need their education or employment all updated. I don't want to login every single time I want to use the app (since I find it superior to the mobile site). There need to be options (yes I know there are some) that actually work...
    fkornre likes this.
    01-13-15 04:21 PM
159 1234 ...