So far so good! The vkb is implemented quite well. I'm getting used to "the flick.".

What phone are you currently using?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    Still on my Nokia Icon, if I weren't so pi**ed at BlackBerry I would have got the Z30 too, great phone.
    05-03-15 11:45 PM
    @thymaster Oh, I am staying with BlackBerry no matter what! I'm just not sure if I HAVE to have the Classic in such a rush now. I mean, I could just hang on to that upgrade for awhile and keep using my Q10 and Z30. I have found workarounds to keep my Q10 usable. I hope I can do that with the Classic too if I get it and it starts double typing on me.

Posted via CB10
    Please share, how you work around the problem that is.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-04-15 01:26 AM
    Auto correct is only effective if you choose the correct word on the spot, if you type past the miss typed word it sees it as acceptable. Sgosh, you finally gave up and got a Z30, how's it going?
    What do you mean choose? Are you speaking about the predictive text?
    Auto-correct is suppose to insert the correct word automatically when you press the space bar after typing aand for instance. I haven't seen it do this apart for 'i'm'.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 07:02 AM
    What do you mean choose? Are you speaking about the predictive text?
    Auto-correct is suppose to insert the correct word automatically when you press the space bar after typing aand for instance. I haven't seen it do this apart for 'i'm'.

Posted via CB10
    Yes with predictive text. As I remember, automatic word insertion was an option in auto-correct. It seems if you choose the correct word in predictive text enough, it will start Inserting it automatically, if you type past it, it sees it as acceptable, and adds it to the library. It took my a while to figure this out on my Q10, and it started inserting double typed words automatically when I had words spelled correct! This was on a Q10 with 10.2, I never made it to 10.3.
    Last edited by SteveNoza; 05-04-15 at 08:38 AM.
    05-04-15 08:25 AM
    Oh, ok. I will erase my learnt words and see if it improves for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 09:06 AM
    Oh, ok. I will erase my learnt words and see if it improves for me.

Posted via CB10
    If it's learning double typed words, they will start showing up on the word suggest, but I had to go in and delete all the double typed words out of the predictive text library too.
    05-04-15 09:24 AM
    If it's learning double typed words, they will start showing up on the word suggest, but I had to go in and delete all the double typed words out of the predictive text library too.
    The irony. If it weren't so frustrating it would be funny!

05-04-15 09:45 AM
    Shall we open a topic called " Classic single typing! "?

Classi Double Typing-mini-me.png

Posted via my awesome Classic
    05-04-15 10:57 AM
    To all you folks whining, how hard is it to turn on auto-correct? This will fix 99% of all your double typos. For those complaining about the space bar, just simply turn off "double press space bar to insert period". It's as simple as that. You should be thanking BB for giving you the choice. 6 months in with my Q10 and no double typing whatsoever.
    Let us know when you decide to call a "defect" a "defect". You almost sounded there like a customer care rep. who had no idea whatsoever!

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 12:41 PM
    BlackBerry should start including spare keyboards and screwdrivers with each new phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 01:06 PM
    BlackBerry should start including spare keyboards and screwdrivers with each new phone.

Posted via CB10
    you mean two sided tape and glue for the classic right?
    MarsupilamiX and Q10Bold like this.
    05-04-15 01:07 PM
    you mean two sided tape and glue for the classic right?
    Hehe thats the case- the 9900, Q10 and Passport is 'easy' to repair. But Classic...no way!! I saw the YT video and I dont think you can put the whole glued parts together.
    I dont know why Foxconn did it this way :/
    But I think its the cheaper to glue every part together :/ :/

BlackBerry please go back to your roots!!!!!!!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-04-15 03:01 PM
    Used to have this issue with my Q10. The next firm ware update usually sorts it out. No issue with my classic yet.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 03:57 PM
    Don't scare me because I just got my Classic from Craigslist. I used to have a defective Q10.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 05:34 PM
    To all you folks whining, how hard is it to turn on auto-correct? This will fix 99% of all your double typos. For those complaining about the space bar, just simply turn off "double press space bar to insert period". It's as simple as that. You should be thanking BB for giving you the choice. 6 months in with my Q10 and no double typing whatsoever.
    If you've never had the problem, you should consider yourself lucky.

Without auto correct on, I have more errors, not less. It picks up some of them, but not all of them so if I rely on it, I have errors in my typing.

I have a pkb because I like to be accurate in my typing and I can feel when I make errors. With double type, I get errors and if I don't look, have double letters in messages. It's happened more often than I'd like that I've sent off a text with a double ee at the end of the last word (or other double letter) because I send messages quickly - the whole point of my pkb is so that I can message quickly and not have to reread everything.

I had it on my Q10 and BlackBerry replaced a couple of keyboards and devices for me. Not sure they'd do that if autocorrect was that effective, nor would I complain.

Somehow the new keyboards and devices didn't double type until after a some usage.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-04-15 05:40 PM
    Don't scare me because I just got my Classic from Craigslist. I used to have a defective Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Then you should worry, casually looking through the threads on the Q10, Passport and Classic will lead you to easily believe the double type is condition dependent as in it often recurs to users who had a problematic handset even after exchanges and upgrades. The Classic seems to be faring worse than the Q10 at this point as more has surfaced at this point than it did around the same time after Q10 launch. Passport is not much better neither if at all.

05-04-15 10:14 PM
    The irony. If it weren't so frustrating it would be funny!

I'm still pretty sad and frustrated over the whole double typing fiasco, I was one of the BlackBerry faithful. Now with the Classic and Passport, it's like watching a multi-car pile-up knowing many people are being hurt.
    05-04-15 10:43 PM
    I'm still pretty sad and frustrated over the whole double typing fiasco, I was one of the BlackBerry faithful. Now with the Classic and Passport, it's like watching a multi-car pile-up knowing many people are being hurt.
    It herds us pkb folks into the vkb realm. If droid or windows had a hub, I would have defected.

SteveNoza likes this.
    05-04-15 11:05 PM
    @sgosh Wow, thank you so much for the offer! But I think I am doing okay with my workarounds. And I WISH I was in the Vancouver area! I love all things Canadian - hope to get up there one day

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:07 AM
    @ATFC Okay, here are my workarounds for double typing on my Q10. On this phone the "a" key is affected. It is so sensitive that if I even barely touch it, it will type. Sometimes I swear I don't even touch it at all and it will do it. Basically I had to really learn how to type while avoiding that key!!! So if I am typing one of the letters around it, I just make sure I hit it a certain way to not touch that "a" key. Now if I need an "a", I just barely touch it and it types an "a". If I touch it too long it will type a capital A. Haha. I just kept working with this until I had it down where I could type this way out of habit and not have too many errors to correct. If someone else uses my phone, they freak out and give up and hand it right back to me. Haha. But I know how to type just so where I don't have many problems. Another thing I do when it is acting up REALLY bad, I take my fingernails and dig them around the sides of the affected key until I can kinda grab it and pull it out. I do this VERY carefully because obviously if it is pulled too hard the whole key will come off! Haha. But I only do this out of desperation and very carefully. It just seems to give it a little stretch so that it isn't so "stuck". There are also the basic workarounds - autocorrect, spellcheck, and talk to text. I did all of those in the beginning but it annoyed me. I basically just learned to adjust my typing a bit to accommodate the affected key. I'm a pretty fast typist and I don't think it has slowed me down too much!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:16 AM
    I might just get a Q5 to use over wifi (can't use one with my carrier). I am betting I would never have this kind of issue with it. I love the clicky keyboard anyway But I still want that Classic so bad... Maybe I will get both. haha.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:24 AM
    Then you should worry, casually looking through the threads on the Q10, Passport and Classic will lead you to easily believe the double type is condition dependent as in it often recurs to users who had a problematic handset even after exchanges and upgrades. The Classic seems to be faring worse than the Q10 at this point as more has surfaced at this point than it did around the same time after Q10 launch. Passport is not much better neither if at all.

I got a Q10 two weeks ago that seems to be pretty solid with its keyboard. The Classic I got on Sunday seems all right, too. It's hard to decide which one to be kept.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    05-05-15 03:22 AM
    I got a Q10 two weeks ago that seems to be pretty solid with its keyboard. The Classic I got on Sunday seems all right, too. It's hard to decide which one to be kept.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    There are anecdotal experience from certain users that says firmer keys are less prone to double type, so there.

05-05-15 03:53 AM
    There are anecdotal experience from certain users that says firmer keys are less prone to double type, so there.

I think it was determined that the rubbery and stiffer iterations were equally prone to developing double-typing. That was the case for me, so I can verify.

I have kept all the keyboards I replaced myself... lol.

05-05-15 05:45 AM
    @ATFC Okay, here are my workarounds for double typing on my Q10. On this phone the "a" key is affected. It is so sensitive that if I even barely touch it, it will type. Sometimes I swear I don't even touch it at all and it will do it. Basically I had to really learn how to type while avoiding that key!!! So if I am typing one of the letters around it, I just make sure I hit it a certain way to not touch that "a" key. Now if I need an "a", I just barely touch it and it types an "a". If I touch it too long it will type a capital A. Haha. I just kept working with this until I had it down where I could type this way out of habit and not have too many errors to correct. If someone else uses my phone, they freak out and give up and hand it right back to me. Haha. But I know how to type just so where I don't have many problems. Another thing I do when it is acting up REALLY bad, I take my fingernails and dig them around the sides of the affected key until I can kinda grab it and pull it out. I do this VERY carefully because obviously if it is pulled too hard the whole key will come off! Haha. But I only do this out of desperation and very carefully. It just seems to give it a little stretch so that it isn't so "stuck". There are also the basic workarounds - autocorrect, spellcheck, and talk to text. I did all of those in the beginning but it annoyed me. I basically just learned to adjust my typing a bit to accommodate the affected key. I'm a pretty fast typist and I don't think it has slowed me down too much!

Posted via CB10
    I'm torn between admiring your tenacity, or weeping for you. Lol.

Bbnivende and solitude1984 like this.
    05-05-15 05:47 AM
118 ... 2345