Does the Blackberry Classic have a maximum current draw while charging? I purchased a power charger with a 5V/2.5 amp USB port. I connected a Drok USB tester between the phone and the power charger (power bank) in order to measure the voltage and the current while charging. It measures 5 volts but only 0.840 amps so does the Classic have a maximum current draw which a charging device cannot overcome? Its annoying that my power charger can deliver 2.5 amps but the Classic appears to be able to only accept up to 0.850 amps. I have tried different chargers, cables, etc but no matter how many amps the charger can deliver my USB tester only shows about 0.850 amps being drawn by the phone. I checked the manual for the Classic but that level of detail in specifications is missing.
    01-28-16 02:45 PM
    It will take more than that, might be meeting some resistance (remember it's running the device as well).

Is it getting warm at all when charging?
    01-28-16 02:52 PM
    Over time it will get warm but not right away. But even from the start I measure only 0.85 amps from different power chargers that deliver 2.5 amps.
    01-28-16 03:27 PM
    I am on the phone with BB Support right now and it has taken me 10 minutes for them to understand my question. This does not bode well I am afraid. If they cannot answer my question that says a lot about Blackberry as a company and their poor support. I spoke with a power charger manufacturer today and the rep told me that the iPhone 5 and older phones could only accept up to 1 amp. Talking to BB support again and the girl is still confused? I love the phone but their phone support sucks like all other cell phone manufacturers. After half an hour on the phone she tells me she provides software support and not hardware support? INCREDIBLE?
    01-28-16 03:35 PM
    That is a very specific technical question, no smartphone company customer support will provide that info, the technicians are fixing phones not answering the phone. All they can do is provide basic setup help, and if not solved they will initiate a RMA. Call apple or samsung or whatever, they wont know what you are asking. Why dont you grab another phone you may have handy and see what reading you get. It is a start..... good luck
    joseanmx likes this.
    01-28-16 05:13 PM
    I should be able to contact someone at a smartphone company with these type of questions like an EE or Application Engineer. But it sounds like they don't care about their customers who have questions that cannot be answered by the front line folks. I checked on an Android phone and its charging current measured 1 amp. It appears anyone who pays additional dollars to get a charger that puts out more than 1 amp per charging port is wasting their time and money. The companies that manufacture chargers and hype the 2.5 amp output/port have to know that most phones will only accept 1 amp or less during charging but most customers will be fooled into thinking their phones will charge faster with these chargers than with a 1 amp output charger that usually comes with their phones.
    01-29-16 09:59 AM
    The device will draw only the current needed to charge the battery, operate the device if on and keep the charge controller operating properly.

Being able to provide more current only guarantees that the above requirements are met. Most devices today are capable of alerting you if the charger is not capable of delivering the minimum current...

I think it is best to go with a 2 amp charger when not using the one provided with the device.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-16 11:51 AM
    Chill your phone & try it. Internal circuitry might limit amps, in and out, based on battery temperature, among other variables. My "smart guys" have measured MUCH more than .84 on quite a few different devices. Including Classic. "Convincing" the circuitry you're not plugged in to a PC might be the first step to exceeding .85. Or .5, for that matter.

Larger LiOn/LiPo batteries can certainly tolerate more charging amps than smaller ones. Classic's is significantly larger than many but buried inside with relatively limited access to heat rejection sinking. Thermal conductivity of glass weave battery covers provides superior battery heat rejection, for example. Net effect might be that the larger, hotter, battery might not accept or provide any more amps than a smaller, better cooled, battery.

Never used a Drok... looks interesting. Certainly "prettier" than some of the hacked up stuff I'm used to. Lol.
    I'd be curious to validate, somehow, that the usb tester itself isn't influencing other circuitry some way. Remember Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. Lol. (sort of)

Edit- just to be clear, LiPo/LiOn cells themselves WILL accept and provide destructive current levels. It's up to circuitry to prevent catastrophic LiOn melt down. Careful!!
    Last edited by idssteve; 01-31-16 at 09:52 AM.
    01-31-16 09:03 AM