A close look at the base of the Classic that John Chen was holding showed what looks like the micro-USB port.
    There are also two dark areas on either side of the micro-USB port.

I am wondering if these are charging contacts for a desk stand.

Anyone else notice these?
    06-24-14 02:23 PM
    I think those are speakers.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 02:28 PM
    Yes, just speakers. But you can expect to be able to use at least a third party dock. Having the micro USB on the bottom was intentional - this is for docking, and removes the need for contacts.

A contact showed me a dock in development, but no official word if BlackBerry will produce them.

Posted via CB10
    06-24-14 10:56 PM
    Thanks.
    I hope that the Micro-USB connector is robust.
    Legal Eagle and Mr4aces like this.
    06-26-14 02:54 PM
    Maybe it will include wireless charging like the Z30? That would be awesome!!

Posted via CB10
    lazypapichulo21 likes this.
    06-29-14 08:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    It should, on at least one model. Hopefully all.
    06-29-14 09:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wait, does the Z30 support wireless charging? Which standard?

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10?
    06-30-14 12:26 AM
    Wait, does the Z30 support wireless charging? Which standard?

Qi charging, and only on the Verizon Z30.
    06-30-14 12:31 AM
    Hm, so the other versions don't have it? You can't just get the verizon back cover and put it on another version to get it to work? Lol.

06-30-14 12:38 AM
    Hm, so the other versions don't have it? You can't just get the verizon back cover and put it on another version to get it to work? Lol.

It's in the phone's hardware itself, because Verizon just loves to be annoying. Probably part of that USA exclusivity deal.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 01:14 AM
    Thanks, thurask, so I can save myself the trouble of even trying with an Aussie one.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    06-30-14 07:59 AM
    It's in the phone's hardware itself, because Verizon just loves to be annoying. Probably part of that USA exclusivity deal.

Posted via CB10
    Dammit, stupid Verizon...

06-30-14 10:56 AM
    I was hoping for charging contacts Micro USB just isn't as good as it wears out and also if you put the phone into a charging cradle at a slight angle or when you are laying in bed without looking, you have to make sure it goes in properly. With Contact pins, you just drop it in with no worry of ever breaking it.
    07-07-14 12:32 PM
    Hopefully it has Qi like the Verizon Z30 and Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 12:56 PM
    Charging contacts would be a huge win!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jake Storm; 07-07-14 at 10:24 PM.
    07-07-14 09:46 PM
    I've never owned a phone without charging contacts. Not since the bag phone days, anyway. The bottom usb is a marginally tolerable solution for cradles but wear is a concern. I routinely drop my 9900 in charging cradles at bedside, car, office, coworker's desk, break room, etc etc. countless times each day. 9900's charging contacts never complain. How well will micro usb hold up? ??

AFAIK, micro usb will require greater force to insert and remove. Will removal require two hands?

I also swap battery at bed time & carry charged spare in pocket. Even back in days of 5 day device endurance, spare batts & charging cradles are frequently essential assets.
    07-07-14 10:21 PM
    I've never owned a phone without charging contacts. Not since the bag phone days,...........
    Not many people will know what a bag phone is. ROFL

I do the same thing with extra batteries. I have to pull the battery a lot because I run out of RAM. Tweeting eats it up.

Let's hope the "Classic" (sarcastic) has lots of RAM.
    07-08-14 11:45 AM
    Not many people will know what a bag phone is. ROFL

I do the same thing with extra batteries. I have to pull the battery a lot because I run out of RAM. Tweeting eats it up.

Let's hope the "Classic" (sarcastic) has lots of RAM.
    Yeah, giving my age away there. . 24/7 availability has been a routine through multiple careers for multiple decades. Too many times I've plugged in a nearly dead device into the bedside charger only to get a call 5 minutes later and spend the next several hours trying to get power into the thing while trying to concentrate on the work issue. The nightly battery swap routine carries a side benefit of clearing ram, also.

It really doesn't matter how much endurance a device has, human nature will be to devote precious attention to priorities other than our devices... Untill the radio shuts off... . Charging cradles & spare batts are valuable assets to productivity, IMO.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-08-14 at 12:31 PM.
    07-08-14 12:19 PM
    I would love love love chargin contacts in the Classic.
    07-09-14 05:28 PM
    Bring back the charging contacts!!!

It was a classic item that makes BlackBerry so cool!

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    07-11-14 09:14 AM
    Has nobody considered the reason why the q10 did not have charging contacts, I am sure they did not do it just to **** off people, the simple fact of the matter is that they will have the figures for sales of devices and sales of charging cradles and if that latter number is a tiny fraction of the former it would indicate to them that it was not an important feature.
    07-12-14 02:10 PM
    Has nobody considered the reason why the q10 did not have charging contacts, I am sure they did not do it just to **** off people, the simple fact of the matter is that they will have the figures for sales of devices and sales of charging cradles and if that latter number is a tiny fraction of the former it would indicate to them that it was not an important feature.
    The people tasked with "inventing" the 10's were "fresh thinkers" who were sat in a room, and handed a bunch of iPhones and Androids. They were told "make a BlackBerry like these"

They had never used a BlackBerry before, they had no idea what was good about them.

We're 1.5+yr into BB10, and only just getting back some of the great functionality we lost from OS7.

Adding contacts for charging will be wise, some of us like our simple to use and very functional docks. (inserting a device onto a stand with usb, is NOT the same as setting a device into a dock).
    stardomains, dmlis and idssteve like this.
    07-13-14 12:29 PM
    Adding contacts for charging will be wise, some of us like our simple to use and very functional docks. (inserting a device onto a stand with usb, is NOT the same as setting a device into a dock).
    Indeed. It was not only nifty but handy and productive to have charging contacts. No fumbling with a cord every dang time you come into a room and want the thing to charge. Furthermore, wireless charging is usually flat and so you can't see the clock or display from across the room. Also I read somewhere that wireless charging isn't the cat's meow and doesn't charge it to 100% easily or at all. The charging contacts were another elegant and helpful Blackberry facet that I sorely miss. Unfortunately it looks like they aren't on the Classic from the picture I have seen. Hopefully it isn't too late to get Foxcomm to engineer them into the production run.
    07-13-14 12:43 PM
    Indeed. It was not only nifty but handy and productive to have charging contacts. No fumbling with a cord every dang time you come into a room and want the thing to charge. Furthermore, wireless charging is usually flat and so you can't see the clock or display from across the room. Also I read somewhere that wireless charging isn't the cat's meow and doesn't charge it to 100% easily or at all. The charging contacts were another elegant and helpful Blackberry facet that I sorely miss. Unfortunately it looks like they aren't on the Classic from the picture I have seen. Hopefully it isn't too late to get Foxcomm to engineer them into the production run.
    Wireless charging completely replaces the need for charging contacts if it is on all models (variants).

It charges to 100% no problem. You also get the choice of hundreds of different charging stands, vs one BlackBerry design previously.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 11:34 PM
    Wireless charging is intriguing. No "jiggle" to assure contact, I assume. . My questions are:
    1) does it require a "fixed" battery design?
    2) can it charge a spare battery?
    3) can it charge as fast as charging contacts?
    4) can it coexist with a cradle's external antenna provision? (SmoothTalker car kit amplifier, for example)
    5) can it be powered via automotive 12vdc?
    6) is it "green"? (might inductive losses add up Globally?)
    7) is there a thread devoted to wireless charging?

A redundant charging provision additional to usb is always reassuring.
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-14-14 at 04:39 AM.
    07-14-14 04:28 AM
26 12