For some reason, a BlackBerry Z30 gets significantly better reception than my Classic. How can this be
    , considering that they both have a Paratek antenna?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-17 02:54 PM
    There's a lot more to reception than just the antenna. Antenna placement and the way you hold the phone for one. Have you verified that both are even choosing the same frequency? There's usually at least two viable freqs from each tower. There are a lot of other variables.
    12-31-17 05:00 PM
    Can you expand on this? I'm getting a Classic to replace my aging Q10, and I want to learn it's strengths & weaknesses compared to the Q10.

I was seriously thinking about a Passport because of the significantly better specs but finally decided against it for two reasons.

The Classic is a slightly upgraded Q10 so I won't have a learning curve (plus I've missed having a physical "end call" button. I just wasn't sure if I'll like the qwertz vs qwerty pkb.

The other reason is that I've never seen or held a Passport. The bigger size wouldn't be any problem with using it since my big mitts can nearly wrap all the way around my Q10. The issue could be that it wouldn't fit in my shirt pockets like the Q10 or Classic can. So I want to find out what quirks the Classic has so I can get the most enjoyable experience with the best (IMHO) OS for getting serious work done & keeping me as organized & on task to the extent possible given that I tend to get focused on part of a task only to have that lead to unrelated stuff!

Or as Bill Engvall put it, look! Squirrel! ;-)

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    Last edited by scubafan; 01-03-18 at 05:44 PM.
    01-03-18 05:14 PM
    Can you expand on this? I'm getting a Classic to replace my aging Q10, and I want to learn it's strengths & weaknesses compared to the Q10.

I was seriously thinking about a Passport because of the significantly better specs but finally decided against it for two reasons.

The Classic is a slightly upgraded Q10 so I won't have a learning curve (plus I've missed having a physical "end call" button. I just wasn't sure if I'll like the qwertz vs qwerty pkb.

The other reason is that I've never seen or held a Passport. The bigger size wouldn't be any problem with using it since my big mitts can nearly wrap all the way around my Q10. The issue could be that it wouldn't fit in my shirt pockets like the Q10 or Classic can. So I want to find out what quirks the Classic has

Hey Scuba. Happy New Year. Did you find your factory unlocked classic yet?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-03-18 05:18 PM

The other reason is that I've never seen or held a Passport. The bigger size wouldn't be any problem with using it since my big mitts can nearly wrap all the way around my Q10. The issue could be that it wouldn't fit in my shirt pockets like the Q10 or Classic can. So I want to find out what quirks the Classic has so I can get the most enjoyable experience with the best (IMHO) OS for getting serious work done & keeping me as organized & on task to the extent possible given that I tend to get focused on part of a task only to have that lead to unrelated stuff!

Or as Bill Engvall put it, look! Squirrel! ;-)

The Classic seems to be the right size. I had my Q10 for a couple years, which now seems tiny in comparison.

Other than the size, the Classic doesn't have the HDMI port. I really liked the matte black color of the Q10, I prefer the LCD screen on the Classic. Classic is notably heavier. Functions are the same as the Q10, so as you said no learning curve. As a matter of fact my Classic set-up mirrors my Q10.

While I don't need the track pad, it certainly cuts down on greasy screens, and will handle most edit / selection tasks far more precisely.

I've had no "call" issues with either BlackBerry, although I prefer the green / red buttons on the Q10 more, as every other phone I have had has that same format.

BlackBerry transfer is a joke, as it didn't do anything but transfer settings (not text messages).

I personally feel I should have made the switch earlier, but can't really beat the price point now.

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-03-18 07:28 PM
    K definitely off topic to the OP. Please keep your responses related to OP

Posted via CB10
    01-09-18 04:34 PM