Even when my phone is silenced, and I've got the volume down to the lowest, incoming calls where I have a ringtone associated make noise and everyone can hear the music. Am I missing something or will I have to turn this phone completely off whenever I am in a mtg or church or what have you if I want to keep my ringtones? TIA !
    05-15-15 05:00 PM
    Settings -> Notifications

There you can see how your profile types are setup, also check contact notifications.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-15 05:05 PM
    Thanks. That is how I put the phone on "silent" which works for everything, except for mp3 ringtones going off when a call comes in for some reason. I have to check and see if this is the case when it is not in the holster as it happens for sure when I have it on silent but in the holster. I learned the hard way in the audience of a play not too long ago. :-(
    05-15-15 05:13 PM
    You could also try putting the phone in bedside mode if you are in an important meeting or whatever. I use it every night and have never been woken up by my Z10 or Passport.

Posted via CB10
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-16-15 12:57 AM
    Have you checked if the phone app simply overrides the settings of the silent profile? Within every profile, you can always assign certain apps or actions to override the general profile setting, for example you can have everything silenced, but still be remembered for calendar notifications.

Posted via CB10
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-16-15 02:16 AM
    I'll look carefully at the phone app that it came with. Thanks
    05-17-15 04:34 PM
    Thanks. That is how I put the phone on "silent" which works for everything, except for mp3 ringtones going off when a call comes in for some reason. I have to check and see if this is the case when it is not in the holster as it happens for sure when I have it on silent but in the holster. I learned the hard way in the audience of a play not too long ago. :-(
    Scroll down below the line where you selected Silent. Under Customization, click Applications. In the next screen, click on Phone. Make sure Sound is toggled off.
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-19-15 10:53 AM
    It's not very complicated, why don't you explore through the notifications menu a little, there's a lot of customization.

Notifications > silent profile > customize app notifications

From there, anything with an * next to it means that it is set up differently than your regular profile setting.
    05-19-15 11:00 AM
    You know, I really like my Classic but, coming from a phone with a simple physical button that silences "everything", sure exposes a weakness in practical thought from the Canadians.

In regards to your problem though, yes, you need to check the "customize app notifications" as they will indeed override your "profile".
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-19-15 11:30 AM
    Even when my phone is silenced, and I've got the volume down to the lowest, incoming calls where I have a ringtone associated make noise and everyone can hear the music. Am I missing something or will I have to turn this phone completely off whenever I am in a mtg or church or what have you if I want to keep my ringtones? TIA !
    Contact notifications over ride profile notifications. As for the volume, I believe those are "Media" sounds and are controlled by the Media volume levels. Might want to try there.
    05-19-15 11:33 AM
    Try pressing " Q " the phone will be on the silence modus.

Posted via my awesome Classic
    dbollman423 likes this.
    05-19-15 12:35 PM
    You know, I really like my Classic but, coming from a phone with a simple physical button that silences "everything", sure exposes a weakness in practical thought from the Canadians.

In regards to your problem though, yes, you need to check the "customize app notifications" as they will indeed override your "profile".
    I don't see what's so complicated with hitting silent for notifications? I do agree there should be a media volume icon as well in the quick settings though.
    Not to mention the whole point of 'overriding the profile volume' would be pointless if there was a fully independent switch to override that.
    madman0141 likes this.
    05-19-15 03:26 PM
    I had this problem with my Bold. I posted here with the question, but didn't get the answer. I phoned BlackBerry tech support and didn't get the answer.

I finally got out the Bold manual (online) and read every word and there it said in black-and-white pixels that custom ringtones would override the silent setting. In order to have complete silence with NO ringtones coming through, I needed to choose (I can't remember exactly what it was called) something like All alerts off.

Alas, I see that my Classic does not have an All alerts off option under notifications. But the Classic has one called "Meetings"... try that one and then have one of your contacts who has a custom ringtone call you.
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-20-15 07:37 AM
    Here's what I've done. I keep the phone in "normal" mode. I have contact ringtones set up. I have vibrate turned off in normal mode both globally and per app. When I want utter silence, I turn notification volume all the way down. This is effectively "silent". If I want to hear the tones, I turn up the volume rocker.

If I want to be buzzed, I go back to the homescreen and hold "i" to toggle to "silent" mode where I've set specific apps to vibrate. Easiest way I've found to manage this.
    BbClassic likes this.
    05-20-15 08:33 AM