How about no more BlackBerry Classic? You appealed to the technophobe diehards, now let it die.
    I switched back to my iPhone some time ago but the 9900 is my daily driver. To me, this is a perfect combination. I have no complaint. That's why I became quiet in Crackberry but I have ben lurking the site to keep me informed and up to date OP's post just caught my eyes.
    Sounds like the Classic is almost there but not quite. But I can afford to wait. No rush. But I am still waiting.
    If and when I buy a next BB, it is probably a Classic in some form (with somewhat more polished UI).
    OT16 likes this.
    01-24-15 07:47 PM
    Another thing - the Universal Search is so slow... when I'm typing, I have to wait for letters to show, every second time one of the letters is missing and search fails...
    Also phone is trying to present me with all possible options for the search, including apps, internet search, wikipedia, while most likely I'm just looking for something in my phone ;-(

I like new OS with all fluid perks but i miss simplicity, especially when this could help phone work faster, especially phone with outdated specs.
    01-24-15 08:59 PM
    How about no more BlackBerry Classic? You appealed to the technophobe diehards, now let it die.
    How cute. Actually I can guarantee you I'm more into tech than you. The difference is that I'm not diluted enough to believe in the "newer has to be better" ideology. As much as I want technological advancement, some of these "advancements" are not actually better. I guess some of us realize this fact while others just jump on whatever bandwagon is cooler at the time...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    AllanQuatermain and andy957 like this.
    01-24-15 09:40 PM
    I'm still on the 9900 and waiting for ATT classic, posts like this make me worried b/c I'm also a die hard BB user since the days of "blue berry" 7xxx model. I have had the 9900 since day one and I'm quite used to this phone. I just hope the issues you are addressing can be corrected with software updates.

I do have a specific question about email on the phone. Since there is no longer BIS with the Classic, how do you set filters on the phone to allow certain messages to be level1 and the infamous Gmail email to self filter?

Thanks
    Say goodby to all that, no filters, no firewall, no email receipts etc
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    01-25-15 03:38 AM
    I'm not diluted enough to believe in the "newer has to be better" ideology. As much as I want technological advancement, some of these "advancements" are not actually better. I guess some of us realize this fact while others just jump on whatever bandwagon is cooler at the time...
    Great post.

There are some things that need improvement and there are things that better left alone.

It is not easy to improve something that is nearly or fully matured, especially by trying to redesign it from scratch.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    01-25-15 10:41 AM
    Great post OP I agree with everything you said and more such as the screen transitions that just waste time when opening new messages and etc!! I really hope BlackBerry fixes this because the Bold 9900 was probably still the best phone they ever made

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 12:00 PM
    BTW, my Z10 randomly reboots at least 4-5-6 times per week Is it better than Z10 for daily activities?
    Have you tried sliding some paper in between the battery and the rear cover? Apparently that fixes the rebooting issue, my Q10 used to do it too, not sure if it was loose contacts or what, but after the last 10.2.1 update it stopped doing it, my friends Z10 would do it as soon as he'd set the phone down on the table. Also i'd look into getting a Z30, much better phone.
    dan_slack likes this.
    01-25-15 12:31 PM
    Hello, i have owned the classic for over 2 weeks now. I am going to try and address all the issues that the OP mentioned.

- we finally got back the menu key - why is the same menu on the screen still, taking so much from small screen size?

Hmm, are you talking about the drop down menu? well if it was any smaller then they would be less icons/options to display. you even have to swipe to the right to see more icons for battery saving and brightness.

- we finally got back "end the call" button - why it does NOT end it when pressed??? not only you have to press it twice but when

Are you sure? because it works for me. (one click) the END button ends my calls. I tested it thoroughly, I ended a call I started AND I ended a call from someone else simply by pressing the END key...(ONCE)

- we have got back the menu key - why can't i hold it to see my running apps

Pressing the END call key from ANY app will show you all your running apps. Same function is available but on a different key, weird but I got use to it.

- so may swiping and screen touching is necessary while tool bets and track pad should eliminate it...

i prefer to use the touchscreen most of the time as the trackpad feels slower, BUT, there are certain times when the trackpad can usefull. when viewing a website in desktop mode, things can be very tiny, the mouse in the broswer helps to click tiny buttons etc.
    It even works a little in some android apps. You can navigate most of the system with the trackpad but it's just faster with the touchscreen

- the phone is sooo slow! i do not use it for anything fancy beside heavy communication but using search option takes 2-3 seconds to see results, i said i am addicated! please let me pay $700 for Classic and put some good stuff in it! i will gladly pay.

This isn't 100% true, most of the time, the universal search is almost instant but i have witnessed it taking around 2-3 seconds. ( this doesn't not happen very often). am actually impressed with the speed of this phone, its not perfect and it does slow down (slightly on a few occasions) but most of the time its fast enough and responsive.

the universal search is more advanced than the one on OS6&7, even when that 2-3 second search times kicks in (which is isn't all the time!). its alot faster to use the search rather than navigating the phone to whatever your looking for, I use it A LOT.

- using notes, tasks, calendar, creating, editing, switching between apps was so much quicker was Bold

Correct me if am wrong, but on OS 6&7 you hold down the menu key from any app to view and switch to other applications. On the blackberry classic simply pressing the 'END call' (from any app) shows you all your running apps. app switching is faster for me on the classic than on OS 7

- Quick Launch was adding even more productivity - not sure what you meant here.

I have used the Classic for over 2 weeks and I enjoy it. the quick options (accessible by pressing the menu key on the home page OR swiping down from the top with 2 fingers from any app) can be customized, i was only able to quickly switch between silent and normal, but i was able to add vibrate.

Don't me wrong, the classic still has some issues. the trackpad isnt as fast on a web page as on OS6 & 7 devices unless you scroll very fast with your thumb (very anoying). and not all android apps work. But touch screen scrolling is just fine

Use that blackberry for a lot longer and you will (might get use to it, OS 10 is totally different, takes a bit of getting use to, i will admit, it has its flaws.

EDIT

Try this, use speakerphone, put your phone down and let the screen turn off or even lock. Or while you phone is locked, when an incoming call comes in, use speakerphone and let the screen turn off. Count how many times you need to press the end call button to end the call. I know it's a specific situation, but it does happen. I use speakerphone whenever I am put on hold...
    Heh, this is true, Loudspeaker on + screen going off = at least 2 button presses to unlock. (1 button press for old BBs)
    more stuff to improve ^_^
    Last edited by jaffaholic; 01-26-15 at 03:23 AM.
    01-25-15 01:02 PM
    Hi slagman5 - real toolbelt is ok but let's put it in real use! Why do I need a "end call" button when it is not ending my call... like it used to in old good times.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't purchased a classic yet, as my company moved away from BES. On an iPhone currently. I had 3 different BB's in the old days. Seeing the "end call" button doesn't end my call, shocks me. I was gonna get a classic anyway, for at least my personal stuff, but seeing this item kinda shocks me!
    01-25-15 04:07 PM
    The "end call" button DOES end your call. Not sure the misinformation about this?... so HAPPY with my new classic. The phone also is not slow to my standards. I don't understand the complaints on the slowness. Quite zippy on the contrary. So nice to have the toolbelt back. Didn't realize how much I missed it until having it back. Only adjustment for me has been getting used to the smaller screen coming from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Hulk123 likes this.
    01-25-15 04:32 PM
    It does end the call but if you leave the phone app and then your screen goes sleep - you have to do 3 steps to end the call:
    - wake up screen
    - go back to phone app
    - end call
    Last 2 steps can be achieved by double pressing the end button.

Dear "jaffaholic": see above? You clearly do not have idea what is being discussed here, to say more - you sound like a guy on BlackBerry payroll who supposed to look for troubled posts and try to look them better... am I close?
    Also, you say you have Classic 2 weeks? I have it 4 weeks and had Q10 for 11 months...

One more time: please only post here if you have something new to add, something can be implemented to Classic to make us even more happy!
    Please do not comment on other posts and please stay positive!
    I know nothing is perfect, I love my BlackBerry and I'm not going anywhere but I believe it is not to much to ask to make next Classic as sweet as possible...

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 05:15 PM
    The "end call" button DOES end your call. Not sure the misinformation about this?... so HAPPY with my new classic. The phone also is not slow to my standards. I don't understand the complaints on the slowness. Quite zippy on the contrary. So nice to have the toolbelt back. Didn't realize how much I missed it until having it back. Only adjustment for me has been getting used to the smaller screen coming from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Try this, use speakerphone, put your phone down and let the screen turn off or even lock. Or while you phone is locked, when an incoming call comes in, use speakerphone and let the screen turn off. Count how many times you need to press the end call button to end the call. I know it's a specific situation, but it does happen. I use speakerphone whenever I am put on hold...

01-25-15 05:24 PM
    I don't understand? You mean all the contacts were in one contact group and now they are not?
    .......................................I had the company name in my contacts, but as I added numbers instead of putting "other" "home" "work""mobile" I could do "custom"and put that persons name..... so one contact name but each number was associated to that persons name. The "Classic" sync my contacts and made every number other! Now I don't know whose number belongs to who!

Sent from my: SM-N910T / SQC100-4 with Tapatalk : PIN 2BFBBCE3 : T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    01-26-15 12:00 AM
    Basically, instead of creating a new contact for each new contact (like he should have), he made one contact that he simply added the phone numbers to. And under the label, he would change that (the thing that for BB is "work" "home" "mobile") to the name of the person. Well, I agree that BB needs to give the option for custom labels, but it doesn't. So it changed them all to "other." So now he has a contact card under "hahahahah" and a bunch of phone numbers labeled as "Other."

Sorry, as much as it frustrates him, and I'm always one to promote criticism to push progress and improvements, and I do agree that we need custom labels, but in this case, I think it was his fault. I've always created separated contact cards for every individual. If they belong to the same group, that's what contact groups are for... Just my opinion, but you can't really blame the phone for not handling the contacts in the exact same VERY specific way in which you used it with a whole different OS...

That's like going from a M4 to a FAL and complaining that the mag release isn't in the exact same place. They work differently, that's it. Sorry for the gun reference, was the best example I could think of.

.......Whoa!

"He" "Him" " his fault" -_-

1) I am not a he.
    2) anyone with "sense" would easily be able to comprehend something as simple as what I stated.

I didn't blast Blackberry I simply pointed out a flaw, your post added nothing so you could have kept quiet. You say it's my fault? If Blackberry would get with the times. If anything it should just sync the contact and NOT alter it!

That's dumb coding and I shouldn't have to make a contact card for each person when "I" rather have one contact with my co-workers name. It works best for "me" that way. I also have other information in the "notes" section that did not transfer over! So watch yourself if you don't like someone's post keep it moving especially if your're just gonna assume. Mind your post, thanks

Sent from my: SM-N910T / SQC100-4 with Tapatalk : PIN 2BFBBCE3 : T-Mobile 4G LTE Facebook.com/UnFazedRebel
    01-26-15 12:07 AM
    Dear "jaffaholic": see above? You clearly do not have idea what is being discussed here, to say more - you sound like a guy on BlackBerry payroll who supposed to look for troubled posts and try to look them better... am I close?

Posted via CB10
    Dear szejkus, i wrote my post to address the issues mentioned by the OP. I did not come here to say that Classic is undeniably better than then 9900. i simply wrote about MY experiences with the phone compared to using bb7.

Am not advocating for people to replace their Bold with The Classic, am just sharing my experience and I accept that it can be completely different from other people.

I DO NOT work for blackberry, am a second year student studying Computer Networks and Security, am a sort of geek so I don't mind going into details about stuff.

i also did not read the following posts after the OP as i just wanted to quickly post about my experiences with phone, anyone reading his post at first glance would think e.g that they couldn't even switch apps on a classic.

As for possible improvements they can make to the classic, here is a list. (Not exhaustive)

-Increase the speed of the trackpad when scrolling a website, (There is a setting to increase the sensitivity but it doesn't seem to increase web scrolling speed, for me anyways)

-Increase the amount of profiles you can switch between from the quick options (by default its just silent & normal, it can be customized to include vibrate but you have to go to settings to do it, i would rather have it as default)

-The 2 fingers to drag down the quick options from any app - sometimes takes a few tries for ME to get right.

-i would not mind having the battery percentage next to the battery, i know you can go into quick settings to see the remaining %

-Better processor, some sites can be choppy when scrolling but its acceptable.

Tell me what I said that caused offence so i can reclarify
    01-26-15 02:36 AM
    Push up on the screen to get the battery percentage.
    01-26-15 11:42 AM
    And one more thing!

Notifications for incoming messages of any type:

-Bold 9900 had the option for up to 3 vibrations of varying length and then "ringtone" for up to 3 repeats. Rarely missed a message or call.

Vs

-classic quickly vibrates a few times while simultaneously playing a ringtone rather quietly. Missing calls and messages. No good at all.

Posted via CB10
    You can purchase an app called Hub++ to customize the setting all you want regarding the vibration length and the frequency.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-15 01:05 PM
    .......Whoa!

"He" "Him" " his fault" -_-

1) I am not a he.
    2) anyone with "sense" would easily be able to comprehend something as simple as what I stated.

I didn't blast Blackberry I simply pointed out a flaw, your post added nothing so you could have kept quiet. You say it's my fault? If Blackberry would get with the times. If anything it should just sync the contact and NOT alter it!

That's dumb coding and I shouldn't have to make a contact card for each person when "I" rather have one contact with my co-workers name. It works best for "me" that way. I also have other information in the "notes" section that did not transfer over! So watch yourself if you don't like someone's post keep it moving especially if your're just gonna assume. Mind your post, thanks

Added nothing? So you knew about contact groups and just never used it because having one large contact with a million numbers is the better way to go? Lol. Ok. I can comment whenever I feel like. Thanks anyway. :-)

01-26-15 01:27 PM
    You can purchase an app called Hub++ to customize the setting all you want regarding the vibration length and the frequency.

Posted via CB10
    Purchase an app to have what you used to get for free?
    FrankIAm and AllanQuatermain like this.
    01-26-15 01:31 PM
    Purchase an app to have what you used to get for free?
    Because it is not just the vibration setting that you get.

You also get things such as contact specific notification with different color notification lights, down to the combination of different colors, frequency, and longevity of the notification lights.

As well as,
    - Scheduled notification profile setting
    - Email contact specific notification setting
    - Face down the device to dismiss notification light, and keep the device faced down to keep it quiet.
    - Holster profile settings

So yes, for $3, I would say it is worth it
    01-26-15 02:27 PM
    Totally agree. BB10 is a big disappointment (other than the hub). It's a cross between a business phone (like the Bold) and an iPone or Droid, but does not match either, let alone excel.
    Witmen likes this.
    01-26-15 03:07 PM
    I don't know why it is taking BlackBerry so long to get OS10 up to a point where the core functionality is even equal to that of the old OS7. There is almost no real advantage from a messaging and calling point of view (previously BlackBerry strong points) over the competition.

I've now had a play with the new classic for a few hours, and it does seem a little clumsy. With the three actions require to terminate a call under certain circumstances, it makes the toolbelt a bit of a joke. Who the hell designs this stuff, and why do they constantly get simple things so wrong.

Think about it - a hard call end key that under often used conditions won't end the call..

So we're stuck with the perfectly sized Q10 with an awful double typing keyboard, the powerful passport which for many is just too big and a classic with a poorly implemented tool belt.

I don't think I can wait another three years to get a phone that just about matches the functionality of a phone that will then have been introduced some seven years earlier.
    eji930 and DeliFresser like this.
    01-26-15 04:00 PM
    I don't know why it is taking BlackBerry so long to get OS10 up to a point where the core functionality is even equal to that of the old OS7.
    I think BB10 was designed on purpose to be simple and user friendly. BB tried to compete with Apple. In the process they lost may BB fans who expect efficiency and power features.

Now they are back paddling and trying to fill in all the missing features.
    01-26-15 04:37 PM
    Because it is not just the vibration setting that you get.

You also get things such as contact specific notification with different color notification lights, down to the combination of different colors, frequency, and longevity of the notification lights.

As well as,
    - Scheduled notification profile setting
    - Email contact specific notification setting
    - Face down the device to dismiss notification light, and keep the device faced down to keep it quiet.
    - Holster profile settings

So yes, for $3, I would say it is worth it
    Wait, you have to buy an app to get holster profiles? Ridiculous. How is this gonna attract any Legacy user?
    01-26-15 04:42 PM
    This is why I am trying to swith back to bold 9900 from my q10.
    OS10 is not really working for me.
    DeliFresser likes this.
    01-26-15 05:01 PM
119 12345