Hello I have bought a blackberry classic 16gb..
    I am just wondering if I can get a maps app on it.
    Blackberry apps isn't working.
    I've tried to get magic earth etc via apk but don't seem to work either.
    Thanks.
    Mike.
    10-03-21 08:03 AM
    Thanks.
    Mike.
    There used to be a really good native BB10 map app called NavFree, that worked wonderfully. It would even work for when one went into airplane mode on flights (lots of other navigation apps wouldn't). A few years back the developers changed it to NavMe or something like that, a cheesier skin. You might still be able to to find a NavFree bar file around somewhere. Check the BB10 list that @conite has previously published.
    10-03-21 08:22 AM
    Thanks.
    Mike.
    Use Magic Earth.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/fLjQiTEHZwo7cA
    10-03-21 08:23 AM
    I use Sygic.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-21 08:51 AM
    Thanks. I'm sure I have tried this link but it isn't working. I'll try again later. Thanks
    10-03-21 09:26 AM
    Thanks I will try this.
    Is it an app or Web based platform?
    10-03-21 09:26 AM
    Thanks I will try this.
    Is it an app or Web based platform?
    Do you mean Sygic? It's android app. But it works on bb10 and also has offline maps.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-21 09:48 AM
    Do you mean Sygic? It's android app. But it works on bb10 and also has offline maps.

Posted via CB10
    Yes sygic. I'm sorry I'm not great with the blackberry. Is there an app store I should download or use apk? Thanks
    10-03-21 11:27 AM
    Yes sygic. I'm sorry I'm not great with the blackberry. Is there an app store I should download or use apk? Thanks
    https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sygic-...-apk-download/

Posted via CB10
    10-03-21 01:30 PM
    I have been having difficulties with Magic Earth (version 7.1.21.27 by @XcrazyS ) on a freshly wiped Classic (without BBID registration) lately: First install ME seemed to take foreever. After the installation, starting up ME by clicking on it would ask me to (re-) confirm its permissions and then say something like "initializing" and then a spinning circle and take some more time before finally showing its screen/showing the map. On some occasions, it would just crash/exit after all that "initializing" wait, i.e. before it got to the map screen. Not sure why that is. A previous version by XCrazyS worked well, but that one could no longer update its maps, if I remember correctly.

I now went back to OSMAnd~ (4.0.7) as my offline maps app on the Classic.
    10-03-21 03:42 PM
    I have been having difficulties with Magic Earth (version 7.1.21.27 by @XcrazyS ) on a freshly wiped Classic (without BBID registration) lately: First install ME seemed to take foreever. After the installation, starting up ME by clicking on it would ask me to (re-) confirm its permissions and then say something like "initializing" and then a spinning circle and take some more time before finally showing its screen/showing the map. On some occasions, it would just crash/exit after all that "initializing" wait, i.e. before it got to the map screen. Not sure why that is. A previous version by XCrazyS worked well, but that one could no longer update its maps, if I remember correctly.

I now went back to OSMAnd~ (4.0.7) as my offline maps app on the Classic.
    If it’s XCrazyS’s modified app then you need to post to their thread below and describe the issue as it may affect others.

XCrazyS may be able to fix the problem if they have time.

Of course it may not be fixable.

Adapted Android applications, tips and tricks.
    /13418447-post.html
    BeerBear likes this.
    10-04-21 03:20 AM
    If it’s XCrazyS’s modified app then you need to post to their thread below and describe the issue as it may affect others.
    Thanks, made a post there now.
    10-04-21 08:22 AM
    Thanks Conite.How to upgrade this app. It no longer support new map?
    10-06-21 08:42 AM
    Thanks Conite.How to upgrade this app. It no longer support new map?
    You will have to wait for the next (if there is one) update from XcrazyS.
    10-06-21 12:01 PM
    I have just had the same question and found 2 map apps working very well:

Maps.me: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/maps-m...ase/#downloads

It is recommended to archive the maps you download (Phone Flash\misc\Android\Mapswithme\ and go to the numbered directory and backup the .mwm files. As new and new versions get released, they finish support downloading earlier version maps, so you may end up like you can only install an old app version but no map will be downloaded. Later you can sideload backed up maps.

Orux Maps: https://www.oruxmaps.com/cs/en/more/downloads

For Orux Maps, the downloadable 7.4.25 version is the better, not the one available in Amazon Appstore. It works faster, scrolling is smooth. But here you need to find offline maps yourself to download or buy, because the default map is online map.

I
    horia_m likes this.
    01-14-22 05:37 PM
    use OSMAnd

Posted via CB10
    01-14-22 09:31 PM
    use OSMAnd

Posted via CB10
    E.g. 2.2.4 is very light-weight and fast!
    Correction: should be 2.1.1 .
    Last edited by mikael11; 02-06-22 at 01:11 AM.
    horia_m likes this.
    01-15-22 07:56 AM
    Damn, I have been struggling with alternative maps for years just to find out today that Google Maps app is also working on BB10.
    02-04-22 05:04 PM
    On my BlackBerry classic:

- gmaps works, but takes forever to load the map. The texts are extremely small and cannot be made bigger.

- osmand does not work (tried 3.0.1 and 4.1.11) it loads forever without finishing. The same for sygic.

- "OSM Viewer" works absolutely great! Loads fast, reacts fast. Only disadvantage: it has no driving Assistent and no address search, so you have to use it only visually, as a classic map, and you have to know where you are going... it is only a "map viewer" based on open street maps. It claims to have a cache that saves offline the parts that you saw. It can show how you move on the map and show your location.

- maps.me works quite well. It is the only one that works acceptable, and can offer address search and driving guidance, for me. All this, if you wait a bit to let it load the maps on the screen (from the offline files) after you start it.

BlackBerry Classic, CB app
    02-05-22 10:43 PM

- gmaps works, but takes forever to load the map. The texts are extremely small and cannot be made bigger.

- osmand does not work (tried 3.0.1 and 4.1.11) it loads forever without finishing. The same for sygic.

- "OSM Viewer" works absolutely great! Loads fast, reacts fast. Only disadvantage: it has no driving Assistent and no address search, so you have to use it only visually, as a classic map, and you have to know where you are going... it is only a "map viewer" based on open street maps. It claims to have a cache that saves offline the parts that you saw. It can show how you move on the map and show your location.

- maps.me works quite well. It is the only one that works acceptable, and can offer address search and driving guidance, for me. All this, if you wait a bit to let it load the maps on the screen (from the offline files) after you start it.

Osmand 2.1.1 works nicely on my Classic.
    02-06-22 01:09 AM
    Osmand 2.1.1 works nicely on my Classic.
    Oh, I see! And how did you discover that this probably very old version works on your phone? I mean, I tried first the 4.1 version that is theoretically for android 4, and then tried the 3 version that is quite back in time (for android 2, I think). So as it did the same (did not work) I did not think of going further back in time...

02-06-22 02:09 AM
    Oh, I see! And how did you discover that this probably very old version works on your phone? I mean, I tried first the 4.1 version that is theoretically for android 4, and then tried the 3 version that is quite back in time (for android 2, I think). So as it did the same (did not work) I did not think of going further back in time...

Just tried. Looked for a version, not to big (in MB:s). 2.2.4 works fine too.

2.2.1 is from 2015 I think but downloaded maps are up to date!

Posted via CB10
    horia_m likes this.
    02-06-22 02:13 AM
    Thanks a lot! That is great to know! I will try it, according to your indications!

LE: it works indeed perfectly!

Last edited by horia_m; 02-06-22 at 12:58 PM.
    mikael11 likes this.
    02-06-22 02:33 AM

For me Google maps works fine, i use version: 9.64.1
    02-06-22 05:44 PM
    Yes, I installed the same version, but even if it works, for me it is not usable:
    -Takes many minutes to load the map
    - reacts very slow
    - errs when trying to download offline maps
    - has very small texts that cannot be increased

02-07-22 01:13 AM
35 12