Good day all,
    My wife and I both have Blackberry Classic phones Q20. We LOVE THEM!
    My wife's camera wont start up. A message pops up that says "Camera can't be started".
    The front or rear camera can not be accessed. Also, the flashlight does not work.
    Everything else on the phone works. She can view videos and photos. No new apps installed.
    (Note... a 7 year old "may" have dropped the phone.... wont admit it.. but she looks guilty )

I would just replace the camera(s) in the phone, but I would like to know which camera is bad?
    I read something about a test mode or Engineering mode for these phones. Is there a utility that allows me to override the software block I'm seeing... and thus be able to see if its the rear or front camera acting up?
    Thank you.
    BD
    06-07-18 08:36 AM
    Good day all,
    My wife and I both have Blackberry Classic phones Q20. We LOVE THEM!
    My wife's camera wont start up. A message pops up that says "Camera can't be started".
    The front or rear camera can not be accessed. Also, the flashlight does not work.
    Everything else on the phone works. She can view videos and photos. No new apps installed.
    (Note... a 7 year old "may" have dropped the phone.... wont admit it.. but she looks guilty )

I would just replace the camera(s) in the phone, but I would like to know which camera is bad?
    I read something about a test mode or Engineering mode for these phones. Is there a utility that allows me to override the software block I'm seeing... and thus be able to see if its the rear or front camera acting up?
    Thank you.
    BD
    Have you tried running Blackberry virtual expert, you can find the app on BB World, its an app made by BlackBerry to test the hardware, give it a go it may be able to diagnose the problem.

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    06-08-18 12:08 PM
    Got the BB Virtual Expert. Installed/tried on my phone first so I can see how it works. Great tool. Thanks. Installed it on my wife's phone. I can access the front camera and take a photo. It wont let me access the flashlight or rear camera. here is the message I get.

Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180609_093601.png

When I go into "Settings". BBVE has permission to use camera.

When I access the flashlight, it says...

Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180609_093510.png

I check the settings. There are no Apps on these phones. Kept things original. From what I see, there is nothing using the camera. My guess is, the drop is what cause this problem. The phone thinks the camera is in use. Which also explains why I can't use the flash. On my working phone, if I turn on the flash(flashlight), and then start the camera, the flash shuts off. The flashlight can not be used when the camera is in use.
    I'm guessing a new rear camera is what is needed.
    Thanks,
    B
    06-10-18 11:23 AM
    Have you tried a reset by holding both the up and down volume keys together until the phone re-boots?

Posted via CB10 using my Classic running 10.3.3.3216
    06-10-18 01:52 PM
    Yes, I tried a reset. No diff.
    06-11-18 01:37 PM
    We stopped by our Cell phone provider (Rogers) to see if it was under warranty. I knew it wouldn't be...but we were in the mall... and it doesn't hurt to ask. The young fellow behind the counter rolled his upper lip when he saw our BBs. He suggested that I not repair the phone...because it's "old technology"... and thus upgrade to an iPhone, as the iPhone is a superior phone. I suggested that he say that to my wife when she comes into the store. When my wife came into the store I asked her what her thoughts were on upgrading to an iPhone..... she said "Iphones are for 14 year old girls".

Ouch!

Anyways... I just ordered the rear camera. I'll switch it out when it arrives and report back.
    06-11-18 01:45 PM
    before order a new camera you should try reload the OS

Posted via CB10
    06-12-18 09:54 AM
    Any new about this issue?

Posted via CB10
    06-18-18 06:32 AM
    OK, I finally got around to fixing this issue. I ordered a new rear camera and waited for it to come in. I also ordered a tool kit to get the phone apart. removed the back cover and the long "U" shaped cover from the front (Bottom - below keyboard). Removed the tiny torx screws and the odd tiny Philips. The battery clip was undone and unplugged. There was also a few SMT connectors that needed to popped. The battery stays attached the back board, but the back board is pried from the front circuit board. Note there is one torx screw (top left) holding this board down. Remove the 2 Philips screws holding down the headphone jack. when you pry on this back circuit board, do so from the side with the SIM card. There is one last SMT connector on the inside, opposite side. Kind of like a hinge point. Once the rear circuit board is hinged over, you will have access to the rear camera's connector. Pops right off. The new camera did not come with the rubber surround, its transferred over. It sits snuggly around it. Put it all back together... and voila. Camera works (So does the flashlight).
    When I first got the phone apart, I was inspecting the camera's connector, it didn't look like it was on tight?? But I pulled the camera anyways... and put in the new one.

After a few days of my wife's BB working great.. photos being taken... I decided to open our spare (backup) classic and put her camera in this unit. The camera worked.
    Which makes me think my wife's rear camera was always fine.. it got unplugged. I've been playing with the spare BB and the camera is fine.

I would say that when it was dropped... the connector popped out of its socket.

The first time I opened the phone and replaced the camera, it took me 45 min. When I switched it on the back up BB, it took me 25 min.
    If you have the right little screw drivers, and good eyes (or magnification).. this is a quick and easy fix. Surprisingly.

So.. for us, the problem was the camera being unplugged. for someone else... could this be a OS issue.. I have no idea. Good Luck. Some photos for the viewing!

Attachment 438223
    Attached Thumbnails Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180716_213600.jpg   Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180716_213635.jpg   Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180716_213711.jpg   Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180720_183859.jpg   Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180720_183924.jpg  

Camera can't be started,  TEST mode?   Q20-img_20180720_184201.jpg  
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-20-18 11:05 PM
    Very informative and good pics thanks for taking the time to post the strip down process.

Glad it's all working well for you now.

Posted via CB10 using my P9982 running 10.3.3.3216
    07-22-18 06:31 AM