So I bought a Classic on eBay, and got past the initial setup by sweeping up the screen. However, after rebooting, the screen showed up again, and this time, the swiping trick just wouldn’t work. When engaged, Screen Reader said there was some anti-theft thingy on.

I was then able to get into past it by tapping and holding the BlackBerry logo on the hotspot login page, pressing End Call, and using Screen Reader (kind of randomly) again. I then did a security wipe, and thus ended up on the initial setup screen again. Then, I did the same logo save trick, and got into the main menu again.

However, I’m afraid this might happen again upon rebooting. Does anyone know how to disable the anti-theft gimmick for good? Thanks a lot in advance!
    12-15-22 06:54 AM
    Up!
    12-15-22 03:54 PM
    Up!
    No can do.
    12-15-22 06:30 PM
    No can do.
    There were some earlier threads that outlined how it could be done, pre shutdown.
    12-15-22 06:47 PM
    @kmartin91 in this thread, claimed to have done it, post shutdown (unless we were all miss-understanding each other):

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    12-15-22 06:57 PM
    There were some earlier threads that outlined how it could be done, pre shutdown.
    Yes. But one needed access to the BBID servers in order to do it.
    12-15-22 07:17 PM
    @kmartin91 in this thread, claimed to have done it, post shutdown (unless we were all miss-understanding each other):

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    A few folks say they just ran the autoloader repeatedly and it eventually worked. I'm dubious.
    12-15-22 07:18 PM
    A few folks say they just ran the autoloader repeatedly and it eventually worked. I'm dubious.
    Some say they got past by unplugging the battery. But what do I know.
    12-15-22 09:08 PM
    Thanks everyone! BlackBerry can still disappoint even when they’re gone. One of the reasons they failed was that their gimmicks were too cumbersome for the average user…I remember I couldn’t turn off Protect even with their servers still online. It just kept coming back on upon reboot.
    12-16-22 01:58 AM
    Thanks everyone! BlackBerry can still disappoint even when they’re gone. One of the reasons they failed was that their gimmicks were too cumbersome for the average user…I remember I couldn’t turn off Protect even with their servers still online. It just kept coming back on upon reboot.
    I don't really agree with that. From what I remember, Protect was an anti-theft feature, not much different that what Apple or Android also had. I never considered it a gimmick I guess maybe some people did indeed have problems (well before shutdown) with turning it off, or with it turning back on by itself. However, was that widespread?
    12-16-22 08:03 AM
    I don't really agree with that. From what I remember, Protect was an anti-theft feature, not much different that what Apple or Android also had. I never considered it a gimmick I guess maybe some people did indeed have problems (well before shutdown) with turning it off, or with it turning back on by itself. However, was that widespread?

It was common... but I think it was meant to work that way. How do you turn off and keep off theft protection on Android or iOS? Was really only meant to be done when wiping a device for resale.

There was no planning for "life" after the end of development...
    12-16-22 08:15 AM
    It was common... but I think it was meant to work that way. How do you turn off and keep off theft protection on Android or iOS? Was really only meant to be done when wiping a device for resale.

That would also make sense to me, and in terms of those things being the way BlackBerry decided (even if not fully understood by many of us), and not specifically (in BlackBerry's eyes) as gimmicks or contributing to BB10 demise (which presumably by then was already decided as done for).
    12-16-22 08:26 AM
    The anti-theft features on both Android and iOS are very easy to disable if you have the credentials, and can access the mobile phone number associated with the account. At least they don’t come back on by themselves.
    Last edited by Arekussu; 12-16-22 at 02:47 PM.
    12-16-22 09:52 AM
    That cleared up everything!
    12-16-22 11:16 AM

The very fact that BlackBerry made their products so explicitly dependent on their cloud services, - to the extent that the carriers had to support them, - illustrates my point really well. Even iPhones (older models, at least) can be (h)ac(k)tivated and then jailbroken so as to be used with alternative app sources, and so on.
    12-16-22 01:23 PM
    The very fact that BlackBerry made their products so explicitly dependent on their cloud services, - to the extent that the carriers had to support them, - illustrates my point really well. Even iPhones (older models, at least) can be (h)ac(k)tivated and then jailbroken so as to be used with alternative app sources, and so on.
    I actually impressed things work as well as they do without BlackBerry's servers.

In the end BlackBerry made "stuff" for ENTERPRISE, not consumers... and that led them down a few different path than Google or Apple.
    12-16-22 02:20 PM
    I actually impressed things work as well as they do without BlackBerry's servers.

In the end BlackBerry made "stuff" for ENTERPRISE, not consumers... and that led them down a few different path than Google or Apple.
    I agree. When they took the turn for consumer tech with the PRIV, it became evident they weren’t ready for it. I wish they’d stayed in their element. Out of all the phones I’ve owned, it was the Classic that gave me the most joyous experience. Now, it’s more of a nuisance.
    12-16-22 02:35 PM