So it finally happened, after always laughing at my friends who smashed and broke their cell phones I finally broke my screen. Had a little too much to drink and dropped it on tile and cracked the screen.

Anybody have any tips on getting it replaced? I am going to call a few of the shops in the area regarding it but was wondering if anybody on Crackberry can offer advice.

Anybody have any estimates on cost? I am so angry right now about having a repair done on my phone it's not even funny. Never had this happen before so I am steaming mad about having a non BlackBerry factory screen.

Thanks for any assistance

Posted via CB10
    11-25-16 03:37 AM
    I remember reading a post last week from a guy in the UK who got his DTEK50 screen repaired. Look that up because I think he gave the name of the business. I'm sure that they would do other phones as well.

Good luck.
    11-25-16 08:19 AM
    Just watched a video on it. Looks more involved then doing a Q10 but I would order one and do it myself. That said a Google search in your area should pull up shops that repair these phones.

typed on this awesome Classic
    11-25-16 10:32 AM
    Anybody have any idea why the Classic screen repair costs so much?

I am getting some quotes in the $120-200 range where other BlackBerry 10 devices are under $100.

Not sure what it is other than the square screen of the Classic is in smaller supply than other screens.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-16 03:02 PM
    I have an idea. It's a bit of a job and shops like to make money. Does that price include the new screen? Much more involved then a Q10 or even Z10. I have done the latter but a classic I only watched the video. Need to keep mine safe. Seems easier to drop then the Q10. Bigger and more weight.

typed on this awesome Classic
    11-25-16 04:51 PM
    If you have the tools (small torx) and the interest, you can do it yourself for cost of parts.

The most difficult part is glueing the new LCD panel o the frame

Posted via CB10
    11-25-16 11:43 PM
    I ended up getting it repaired from a local shop use had some good online reviews and did the work within an hour.

Cost was $115 Canadian. I asked why such a difference in cost between other BlackBerry 10 devices and the Classic and she said it had to do with the cost of the screen on a newer device (Classic) vs an older one.

The job looks about as good as it can be. There is a tiny gap where the screen meets the toolbelt but it's livable.

I just purchased a SE Passport so that will probably be my device going forward but my Classic will be a device for the gym/ back up.

Hopefully it withstands whatever other falls occur.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-16 01:49 AM
    Ok. Now I'm sure I'll stay at my Q10. Wanted to switch to Classic but reading this...
    I've changes screen an keyboard at my Q10 and I cannot imagine doing this with Classic.

Sent via BB Q10
    11-29-16 01:16 AM
    Ok. Now I'm sure I'll stay at my Q10. Wanted to switch to Classic but reading this...
    I've changes screen an keyboard at my Q10 and I cannot imagine doing this with Classic.

Sent via BB Q10

Honestly you shouldn't have to many concerns about the Classic and it's durability. It's a beast of a device and I have dropped mine several dimes with no issues.

Several friends who are also BlackBerry Classic fans have had the same experience. In my particular case what did my screen in was it fell from my kitchen counter and landed flat on hard tile. It was almost the perfect fall in the sense it went and landed facing up.

No phone is perfect but a few random phone calls for the screen replacement on my phone showed the Classic to be higher. All in all its an excellent device to be honest.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Posted via CB10
    11-29-16 04:31 AM