I have been a Blackberry user for five years in that time I have had a Bold and a Classic and I have had a Classic for nearly a year now and I have to say in my opinion the classic is far superior but I would like other opinions

Posted via CB10
    stuck_788 likes this.
    01-12-16 10:17 AM
    Pointless. Yet another thread on this topic.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 10:20 AM
    Both phones are/were wonderful for its time. Let's just leave it at that. Everyone has their own preferences.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and roadblochd like this.
    01-12-16 10:26 AM
    Idk how far this topic will get, in this environment, but I carry and use both. Daily. Routinely simultaneously. One in each hand, many times per day. A VERY powerful combo that let's me pick and choose the best attributes of each device for the task at hand. I've rejected the "either, or" mentality and have embraced both devices. Could not possibly be happier or more satisfied with that choice.

As such, I for one would really like to compare notes with other dual carry users in effort to optimize the concept. That requires honest dialogue about the relative strengths and weaknesses of each device. Comparing BlackBerry's two most modern ToolBelt devices seems pretty natural, to me. BUT, Classic has been subject to undeserved derision since well before the "unbelievably annoying" monster thread a couple yrs ago. Skin is thin, around here. Unfortunately so.
    01-12-16 01:47 PM
    Topic is called Bold vs Classic.....not Bold and Classic. Fells like a yea ago....

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 03:41 PM
    "And" sometimes generates more productivity than "vs". If my previous post was too far off topic, I apologize. I also submit that my previous post was the most on topic response to OP, so far. ??

I'll leave it to MODs to arbitrate topic appropriate posts, or even appropriateness of the thread topic itself.

For all the "whining" and all the "whining about whining" in similar topics, I have yet to see a simple factual enumeration of strengths and weaknesses for Bold vs Classic. BB's two most modern ToolBelt devices. I'd like to think that could be done SOMEwhere in a way that didn't degenerate into "my side vs your side" bs. Maybe that's asking too much. ? Maybe this would be the wrong thread for that?

Current legacy holdouts are, almost by definition, not persuaded by "mob rule". They already suspect a Classic in their future but need honest facts to know what to expect. They're not so averse to "new" as they are averse to "bait & switch" hidden surprises. IMO.

I recall a day when Crackberry enthusiasts collaborated to honestly explore strengths and weaknesses, and reasoning behind the differences of each new device and OS. Ah, the good ole days...
    rayporsche and kertong like this.
    01-13-16 06:27 AM
    I have been a Blackberry user for five years in that time I have had a Bold and a Classic and I have had a Classic for nearly a year now and I have to say in my opinion the classic is far superior but I would like other opinions

Posted via CB10
    me! I love BB10 and I love BB7 -- dont make me choose!

my Bold can stream my music well, my Classic cant. another reason to want both, but i think its an atnt carrier settings issue, and i cant make them fix it, their mantra, 'There Is Nothing I Can Do.'

otherwise id save BB7 for a rainy day, like when I am out in 3G area where it just picks up better. It just does.

(why do people post in topics they have no interest in?)
    01-13-16 09:21 AM
    I sometimes miss the good old Bold days. I rocked a 9650 on Verizon and it was a beast!

Great call quality and speakerphone. Instant (BIS) email. BBM when BBM was BlackBerry only and super fast and fun. Remember those CB BBM stress test? Not to mention a battery that would last 2+days! It wasn't all good though - the browser sucked, the screen was tiny, and RIM servers went down from time to time.

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.2.858
    Soapm likes this.
    01-13-16 10:58 PM
    I had the Bold 9000, 9700, 9780, 9900, Q10 (I know it wasn't a Bold but it was close!), and now the Classic.

I love the Classic. I do wish it had the carbon fiber and hard plastic that the 9900 had, or even the leather back like some of the other Bolds. But it is a great size and while the specs aren't as good as the Passport's and other phones, the purpose of the Classic isn't like the purposes of other phones. It's not really meant to be a graphics/gaming/video powerhouse. It's meant for people who need/want to message really quickly and accurately, or who just want a traditional BlackBerry in modern times.

I don't use mine for work, and I didn't use any of my Bolds for work either. I use it because I like the keyboard and using it as a phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 11:06 PM
    Overall the Classic is definitely the better phone but by far the BB7 devices are way quicker and efficient to get things done.
    The constant small hesitations and loading a Classic does vs my old Curve is very irksome.
    01-14-16 07:14 AM
    All this talk about lag, and slowness about the Classic is making me fear the worst. I only have one day before mine ships and be able to cancel.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 07:23 AM
    All this talk about lag, and slowness about the Classic is making me fear the worst. I only have one day before mine ships and be able to cancel.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't worry too much. The Classic is a fine device for what it does. Certain things take a few nanoseconds longer to open, but none of that spinning clock stuff from older BBs. It's important to delete old/nonsense emails and really old texts which you don't need. Also, make sure you save your pictures and videos to an SD card. And close out any apps you aren't using in the background. There is an option to leave background apps on sleep when minimized.

As with any computer/smartphone, restarting the device every once in a while helps obviously. You don't have to restart as often as the older BBs though.

It all depends on what apps you have (both BlackBerry and Android ones) and make sure to do maintenance every so often.

Posted via CB10
    joseanmx likes this.
    01-14-16 10:50 AM
    Bold is in my hand most hours of a normal day BUT(!!!) I simply don't use Bold for online banking, etc. Classic is my trusted choice for financial activities. As such, if forced to live with only one device, Classic would be my choice. Certainly a good choice.
    01-14-16 11:01 AM
    Both, the Bold and the Classic, have become special purpose devices nowadays since they're simply not up to current technology standards anymore. Yet, both can be awesome devices for certain types of use.

Yet, I do think that the Bolds are in fact THAT old, that you really really have to want such a device and deal with all the disadvantages that come with such a device.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 11:29 AM
    Overall the Classic is definitely the better phone but by far the BB7 devices are way quicker and efficient to get things done.
    The constant small hesitations and loading a Classic does vs my old Curve is very irksome.
    Assuming you've been thru "the usual" troubleshooting? Closest thing to "lag" I get on my BB10 devices is the "slide, fade, shrink, etc. " animations while navigating. I, personally, could live without those but I'm guessing BB thinks it adds "bling" to impress "new bees" on the store floor. ?? Idk. It does kind of provide info as to where the app page came from or where it went, I guess.

I do, however, also detect a perceptible difference in response between my Classic & my PassPort. Usually not noticeable unless using them side by side. Even then, Classic sometimes wins that race. Depending. Same between Bold & Classic. Just depends on the task.

Micro kernel CAN be more processor intensive than macro kernel. BB10's BIG advantage over BBOS is memory management. Routine battery swaps provides a side benefit of keeping my Bold's memory garbage cleaned out. Even tho my BB10 devices seem to benefit from occasional reboots, BB10 is orders of magnitude better with memory garbage collection than bbos. BB10's trade off of adding some (depending) processor overhead in exchange for memory management reliability is a net positive, IMO. Fwiw.

Just a shame Classic didn't get PP innards but there are always tradeoffs. Added horsepower might result in shorter battery life or heat rejection issues. ??

While BB10 provides superior memory management, I do agree that OS7's GUI had matured into a polished marvel of user friendly efficiency. It was nicely optimized for toolbelt. Earlier versions of BBOS weren't always so great. The latest, and best IMO, OS7.1 version was released well after Bold's "retirement" and even well after BB10's initial release.

BB10 has matured nicely and I, for one, am hopeful it can continue maturing. I'm just glad to see the return of the toolbelt! . Long live the toolbelt!
    joseanmx likes this.
    01-15-16 08:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    You should not have ANY fears what so ever. Once you get familiar with the tool belt, track pad and PHENOMENAL keyboard (and shortcuts) you will really enjoy and like the Classic. Search out Slagman5's tips and tricks as they are really helpful. BTW I started with the 9000, still own my 9700, 9900, Z10, Z30 and Passport and my newer Classic is the one that utilizes my SIM. It's excellent for my needs. And remember you can always find unhappy people with any device. The key, I believe, is based on needs and preferences.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    dlrogers81 and idssteve like this.
    01-15-16 08:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    I don't get why so many people are concerned about lag. Of course if you compare ANY phone to any faster spec'd phone, then of course there would be "lag". My Classic does everything I need it to do very quickly and efficiently. So what if it's "lagging" by a few seconds? Is that really something to get all worked up about?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-16 12:50 PM
    Classic
    01-15-16 03:17 PM
    So what if it's "lagging" by a few seconds? Is that really something to get all worked up about?
    It's just that after spending almost half a thou on a device, and hear several people going out of their way to point out that "it's slow," one wonders.

The fear is getting an irreponsive and frustrating experience. 9900 lasted a couple years and only now that won't turn on I can take a look at the actual design; it was so efficient before I rarely even took notice at what I was holding in my hands. Same goes here with the Z30. It wasn't until the trackpad stopped working I started thinking about an "upgrade," basically the trackpad was mostly what made the experience. I rarely used the touchscreen, in fact, I wished for a locking option, I had no use for it.

Q10 is a complete different story, the plasticky construction, gestured OS, and worst of all the double typing wouldn't let me forget what phone wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. I tried hard to like it, I did. But anyway, I'm over it.

I just don't want to go through a similar experience with the Classic while I could just get a brand new 9900 for a third it's price. But according to the following posts to my first one in this thread give me confidence what I hear are mostly exaggerations from people comparing it to the passport or other non-bb's with way better internals. I don't ask for much, just want it to work.

Again, I loved the 9900, love the Z30; most excellent blackberries. In a fantasy world the classic will be a hybrid of both.

Saludos
    -Antonio.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 12:19 AM
    The bold 9900 lacks in so many ways compared to a modern smartphone I don't understand how there can even be a discussion.

If all you do is email and text - sure, I'd probably stick with the 9900 although the battery life isn't that good compared to the Classic.

If you need more than email and text - then you get the Classic.

I know the Bold 9900 was the "best phone BlackBerry ever made" but the facts are still clear - when the 9900 came out the iPhone 4 also came out. The fact that BlackBerry's market share took a HUGE dive is because it could never do what the other "modern" phones could do - it never did and it never will.

I use mine for nostlagia or when I need a break from modern tech - otherwise if I need to "get things done" the 9900 is left at home.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 09:04 AM
    It's just that after spending almost half a thou on a device, and hear several people going out of their way to point out that "it's slow," one wonders.

The fear is getting an irreponsive and frustrating experience. 9900 lasted a couple years and only now that won't turn on I can take a look at the actual design; it was so efficient before I rarely even took notice at what I was holding in my hands. Same goes here with the Z30. It wasn't until the trackpad stopped working I started thinking about an "upgrade," basically the trackpad was mostly what made the experience. I rarely used the touchscreen, in fact, I wished for a locking option, I had no use for it.

Q10 is a complete different story, the plasticky construction, gestured OS, and worst of all the double typing wouldn't let me forget what phone wasn't doing what it was supposed to do. I tried hard to like it, I did. But anyway, I'm over it.

I just don't want to go through a similar experience with the Classic while I could just get a brand new 9900 for a third it's price. But according to the following posts to my first one in this thread give me confidence what I hear are mostly exaggerations from people comparing it to the passport or other non-bb's with way better internals. I don't ask for much, just want it to work.

Again, I loved the 9900, love the Z30; most excellent blackberries. In a fantasy world the classic will be a hybrid of both.

Saludos
    -Antonio.

Posted via CB10
    I frequently use my Classic side by side with my PassPort and any difference in response is really pretty minimal. There are times when I'd swear my Classic beats my PP!

Comparing with 9900 is really a bbos vs BB10 thing. Classic's toolbelt logic doesn't feel quite as refined as 9900 but it's 90% there, IMO. And that's pretty darned good! Light years ahead of ANY device in current production!

I still use 9900 daily but native browser usability is declining almost daily, these days. Lacking OEM security updates, I don't use 9900 for financial activities, for example. That issue alone has finally made carrying my 9900 optional, and carrying my Classic essential. I do, still, find posting on CrackBerry least "laggy" thru Opera Mini on my 99. I don't use tapatalk or CB app. Long story.

Short story? I suspect the few claims of Classic lagging might be an individual software or hardware issue. I've even seen at least one complaint of "lag" on a PassPort. Idk. I have several complaints with Classic (fixed battery, topping the list) but I, myself, certainly have no complaints with Classic's speed. If you're happy with BB10 on Z30, and miss 9900's tool belt, you'll be happy with Classic, IMO.
    01-17-16 09:27 AM
    You should be able to pick up the Classic for @ 320 US or so. If you are happy with the Z30 you will not notice any real difference with the core OS functions and I would argue that once you get used to the tool belt, track pad and keyboard (ah the keyboard!) you will likely even believe it more efficient. I REALLY like my Z30 but I hardly find myself using it, even on WiFi, much anymore. *Have I mentioned how good this keyboard is on the Classic? The key as it is for anyone is if it meets your needs. I don't game and email and communications are key so it fits my needs to a T. I also think it takes some damn good photos.
    Bold vs Classic-img_20160117_102913.jpg

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    idssteve likes this.
    01-17-16 10:29 PM
    I think they're both awesome in very different ways. However, the phones are for two different types of situations; therefore, comparing them is almost impossible.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    01-18-16 03:16 AM
    Both the q10 and bb9900 are awesome and outdo the bb Classic for me. I keep switching back n forth both devices as my daily drivers.
    01-18-16 03:56 AM
    I prefer the Q10 over both the Classic and the 9900.
    01-18-16 05:09 AM
26 12