Blackberry, do the right thing, please, and provide a full Blackberry Android OS migration for the Classic via BB Link. If you care for your loyal customers, I strongly advise you make the effort.

Many Classic owners have bought their phones in the past year, unwittingly, yet you sublimely drop the bomb on us without warning by abruptly dropping the Classic. Now you expect us to dump an excellent USD200 phone after one year and go for some Alcatel hybrid called DTEK50 in 2017?

If you really want to see us drop you big time, then drop us Classic owners in the manner you are going about it right now. I predict a riot.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    08-07-16 11:39 AM
    "Loyalty" doesn't get them new device sales.
    08-07-16 11:48 AM
    My memory is failing because I don't remember the Playbook riot.
    08-07-16 11:49 AM
    It would only cost them money to do that, something they can't afford right now.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 11:50 AM
    My memory is failing because I don't remember the Playbook riot.
    If one considers category 5 whinging on CrackBerry to be a riot, then...

Even then, at least BB10 for the PlayBook was promised. There's been no word about Android coming to legacy devices.
    paulwallace1234 likes this.
    08-07-16 11:51 AM
    OP, has your Classic stopped working since they announced the DTEK50?
    08-07-16 12:26 PM
    How many Classics were sold? It may be cheaper to offer a good trade in program for Classic owners upgrading to the new DTEK PKB model (when that comes out). Not everyone will want to upgrade anyway.
    08-07-16 01:24 PM
    I'd have to pass. I am a Classic because of BB10. I would rather they just have our next update out sooner than have an all new OS. They are supposedly working on an Android with the Classics' for factor so those who are into that will have that option in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 04:51 PM
    No riot from me. I'm buying a priv by next week hopefully.
    The Classic is a great phone that has served me well, but time to accept it's ever limiting future and move on.
    A pkb device is on the horizon, so when you feel you are being limited with the Classic, move to that. Until then...

Posted via CB10
    08-07-16 05:04 PM
    @si001
    Granted, but in that case, at least add formal support for Google Play app store in BB10. Or is BlackBerry too cosy with Amazon?
    Last edited by JP Barnard; 08-09-16 at 06:16 AM.
    08-09-16 05:08 AM
    @si001
    Granted, but in that case, at least add formal support for Google Play app store in BB10. Or is BlackBerry too cosy with Amazon?
    It's not permitted by OHA regulations. Google Play Services and Apps are only available for devices running pure Android.
    glwerry and TgeekB like this.
    08-09-16 08:07 AM
    Other than the whole 'app' issue, are there other reasons to want Android on a Classic?

Posted via CB10
    08-09-16 12:11 PM
    Other than the whole 'app' issue, are there other reasons to want Android on a Classic?

Posted via CB10
    I would assume that's the crux of the issue.
    08-09-16 12:22 PM
    Now you expect us to dump an excellent USD200 phone after one year and go for some Alcatel hybrid called DTEK50 in 2017?
    YES!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-09-16 12:26 PM
    Love intensely my Classic the feel of it, the look and size. Even more depressing was the Eol status of Blend! I am totally locked into outlook and exchange and blend so options are as follows. I have nexus 5x coming next week, if exchange works good and pushbullet works than Android is an ooption. If and when blackberry adds blend to its blackberry app blackberry android is option and if they had a classic style keyboard Blackberry will again be "the option" I think in 2017 surface phones from microsoft may finally have the texing from pc like blend and a nice phone that people want as well. So all in all if my Classic can make it till Spring of 2017 should be good options short of emergency plan of android, plus pushbullet if classic dies as would be dumb to buy any blackberry phones at this point running bb 10 as looks to be on the way out
    08-09-16 07:17 PM
    I have been hold onto my blackberry bold for years and Love it but i finally need to give in and get a new phone. went to get the Classic from Verizon and says they no longer carry it. What up with this? do you all still recommend this phone. keyboard is important to me.
    08-10-16 01:19 AM
    Blackberry has made it possible for you to make a choice, The Classic is a solid phone made to make phone calls, mail and text messages as first priority. I think we can all agree on that? Don't forget it is also a secure phone not in need of monthly patches to keep it secure.
    Leave at be, there are a lot of us that appreciate what it has to offer.
    Your choice for all other activities you want on your phone you have a choice now with the PRIV and DTEK 50.
    I am suggesting this because I use the Classic for my daily use and the PRIV as a computer.

08-10-16 07:46 AM
    Blackberry has made it possible for you to make a choice, The Classic is a solid phone made to make phone calls, mail and text messages as first priority. I think we can all agree on that? Don't forget it is also a secure phone not in need of monthly patches to keep it secure.
    Leave at be, there are a lot of us that appreciate what it has to offer.
    Your choice for all other activities you want on your phone you have a choice now with the PRIV and DTEK 50.
    I am suggesting this because I use the Classic for my daily use and the PRIV as a computer.

I think many people want updated Classic form and only way to get is with Android since no more BB10.

08-10-16 08:02 AM
    I'm a longtime BB user and was a former BES admin in a previous life. How insane was it for the management of RIM, now renamed Blackberry, to dump the most popular and best BB of all time, the BB9900 for a wildly overcomplicated POS (apologies) operating system that was not compatible with anything and developers avoided in droves?

I bought the Classic and yes, it's terrible the Classic is being dropped like a rock. It seems BB is being driven off a cliff in general and Androids and iOS phones are the only alternatives.

I haven't commented in years on this forum. The smartphone world has been turned on its ear by Apple and the Android worlds.
    Selling the BB software apps/desktop for Androids is the only future for now. Too bad BB management couldn't figure out a way to sell a much less expensive version of the BB with the original operating system for retail market.

Apple and Google all want to move into the smartphone device management business that Good technology provided which is being integrated into BB so it will be very tough going for BB to keep this niche.

I think the Classic failed because it was too expensive, too heavy, too big and it was still completely different than the old best of the breed BB9900 so ultimately couldn't compete with iPHones or super cheap Androids.

I don't have an answer. BB management tuned out long ago and stopped listening to its customers, both big and little ones, and have been on cruise control while BB management continues its drive off a cliff with little recourse. oh well.
    CAinTO likes this.
    08-10-16 03:17 PM
    I don't know enough about software and programming but would it be crazy difficult and cost prohibitive to release a voluntary update by which Classic (or any BB10 device) users could choose to go Android, or stick with BB10? Just curious...

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 12:57 AM
    Blackberry, do the right thing, please, and provide a full Blackberry Android OS migration for the Classic via BB Link. If you care for your loyal customers, I strongly advise you make the effort.

Many Classic owners have bought their phones in the past year, unwittingly, yet you sublimely drop the bomb on us without warning by abruptly dropping the Classic. Now you expect us to dump an excellent USD200 phone after one year and go for some Alcatel hybrid called DTEK50 in 2017?

If you really want to see us drop you big time, then drop us Classic owners in the manner you are going about it right now. I predict a riot.
    I do believe your Classic will work the same throughout the next year, unless YOU drop your phone. Then you'll have to repair it because they won't make any new one. But your Classic, which is brand new, has nothing to do with the news of the Classic being dropped. You did buy your phone fully knowing it's on BlackBerry 10 and won't ever be on Android, whether the phone gets discontinued or not, right?
    08-11-16 04:02 AM
    With close to no update in the past year, an probably the same for the next, I'm beginning to have my doubt on the good functionality in the near future. I'm sorry but we saw what no browser update was with the PlayBook. Did not take long until it became unusable.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 10:34 AM
    Who needs a major BB10 update when everything just works as it should? In any case, it's not going to happen.

As for the "Android update" wish, that's not going to happen either, and not simply because Android doesn't support square screens.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-16 06:34 PM
    With close to no update in the past year, an probably the same for the next, I'm beginning to have my doubt on the good functionality in the near future. I'm sorry but we saw what no browser update was with the PlayBook. Did not take long until it became unusable.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I am getting a little bit worried about the browser. I only use the native one. As long as it holds up, we'll be able to perform most tasks.
    08-12-16 10:25 AM
    "BlackBerry should provide Android OS replacement for Classic"

No.
    stlabrat likes this.
    08-12-16 10:16 PM
29 12