If they just made the screen that size, we'd get insane battery life! Do it, BlackBerry Mobile!!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-26-17 12:10 AM
    If I could get updated hardware and keep that form factor, I would welcome those bezels and screen ratio. Completely serious.
    10-26-17 03:43 AM
    If I could get updated hardware and keep that form factor, I would welcome those bezels and screen ratio. Completely serious.
    I believe you, and I would agree that the keyboard is MORE important than the screen and should take up more than half the phone for 80-90% of the work I do on Mobile, which is reading and writing text.

That's not the entertainment device that most people want, the new glass teat* that they suck on so they don't feel alone in the world!

*with apologies to Harlan Ellison and his famous essays about TV in the 1960s and 70s

10-26-17 07:21 AM
    I find that the camera autofocus is just slow. If you hold the trackpad down and allow it to focus, then release to take the shot, the pictures are good. Use night mode if taking shots of scenes in poor light.
    10-29-17 12:14 PM
    Lol those are nasty black bars. It's like watching a 4:3 format show on a 16:9 monitor.
    I'm not sure why the Android homescreen is so sacrosanct in portrait orientation...but if this could be flipped horizontal it could almost work; you could have a more or less Passport width phone with a horizontal screen the same size as the K1's.
    10-29-17 01:18 PM
    I believe you, and I would agree that the keyboard is MORE important than the screen and should take up more than half the phone for 80-90% of the work I do on Mobile, which is reading and writing text.

That's not the entertainment device that most people want, the new glass teat* that they suck on so they don't feel alone in the world!

*with apologies to Harlan Ellison and his famous essays about TV in the 1960s and 70s

Hey, nice to see someone else besides me who's read classic Sci-fi! As for your main point, I think you're right about all of it! The main reason I've stuck with my Q10 for so long is that I haven't seen anything to replace it with enough benefits for my needs to change it before now. The Classic sounded like a nice upgrade when 1st announced since I missed having a physical "off/end call" button and figured the tiny increase in screen size would be nice, as would the mouse pad for selecting the actual things that I WANTED to hit with banana sized finger tips. But I passed due to the fixed battery (I've had 4 OEM genuine BlackBerry batteries that have all had at best 6 months to a year before they held a "full" charge for shorter and shorter lengths of time. But I have gotten each on Amazon for under $10 apiece) and that they didn't make any CPU improvement to justify paying the high cost when my Q10 does 90% of what I ask it to do. While son switched to the Z30 when it came out, I have a good deal of issues with virtual keyboards already and even with this device I often must hit the same 'button' on an app before the phone notices. Device has been factory reset either two or three times but the simple "glitches" keep happening! So at least I know that (while painful slow to my kid's opinions I know that if I press the physical button I WILL get a response... and before someone else suggests that there are many options for new phones, for me it boils down to either get a Classic and hope to find the battery life to be good enough for a year or two or try to revive the broken Z30 my son used. I'm very hesitant to get the passport because AFAIK the keys aren't any bigger than the keys on the Q10, and there are fewer of them. I suppose that all of the keys in my 4th row are instead made with some kind of alt/shift type of method. So without actually holding one it's hard to tell if the bigger display & extra 1GB of RAM will be very noticeable. I also was thinking that it's confusing to compare the passport and Z30 because unless GSM Arena has specs wrong it's a hash of "which is better" comparisons! The passport has an IPS 1440x1440 with 453ppi with gorilla glass vs Z30's super amoled barely larger size display at 720 x1280 & 294ppi. The passport has the quad-core snapdragon 800 2.6Ghz krait with adreno 330 GPU vs Z30 snapdragon S4Pro dual-core 1.7Ghz krait with adreno 320 GPU. So unless I'm even more confused than usual, it would seem that the Z30 might have better color depth the older passport exceeds it in all the categories?? The review makes it seem like the newer Z30 was given an older, less "high-end" spec sheet?? It has a much smaller battery and only claims 18 hours talk time to the 23 hours for the passport. Passport sports a weaker camera but otherwise seems to be a better device. It's just so frustrating to not be able to test drive one myself! The local AT&T tried hard to discourage me from getting the Q10 (except for ONE tech who was very pleased with his Q10) so they never bothered to even stock the passport or Z30. So I just wanted to get input, since I'm more willing to switch back to a flip phone before I ever got any android powered device! IF Chen had been able to force the ability we've had for years now, meaning that we can control every single app's ability to access areas that smart users would never consider sharing, then I'll think about android. But even with the minimal amount of blocking that was finally granted in marshmallow there's still zero way to keep google from data mining your entire life. Others may not care, but I value my privacy and none of the friends or family in my contacts gave me permission to give out their data either.

I'm unfortunately getting less and less surprised

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    10-29-17 09:52 PM
    Nokia is not making phones, they licensed the Nokia name to a company called HMD Global. HMD makes Android phones using the Nokia name. So BlackBerry is doing the same thing as Nokia, they have licensed their name to a company to make Android phones using the BlackBerry name.
    Yes, aware of the three BlackBerry licensees. But the reality is TCL has the license for 90%+ of the world. Also, from what I can see the licensee in India is just taking select phones from the other two licensees and reselling them in India.
    10-30-17 06:15 PM
    Yes, aware of the three BlackBerry licensees. But the reality is TCL has the license for 90%+ of the world. Also, from what I can see the licensee in India is just taking select phones from the other two licensees and reselling them in India.
    I assume you meant to quote my response but having three licensees is simply confusing for consumers and if we're comparing them to HMD (all things being equal) it seems to be making a difference in perceived success. They may have 90% coverage but India is the second largest smartphone market in the world now so it's a large market for TCL to not have access to.
    10-30-17 07:12 PM
    I assume you meant to quote my response but having three licensees is simply confusing for consumers and if we're comparing them to HMD (all things being equal) it seems to be making a difference in perceived success. They may have 90% coverage but India is the second largest smartphone market in the world now so it's a large market for TCL to not have access to.
    I'm sure TCL would have loved to have the India license also, but I'm also pretty sure that BlackBerry wanted the best deal they could get for the large market. In the end, licensing is a pay to play game.

10-30-17 07:22 PM
    I'm sure TCL would have loved to have the India license also, but I'm also pretty sure that BlackBerry wanted the best deal they could get for the large market. In the end, licensing is a pay to play game.

Perhaps, I just think it would have been better longterm if they had a single global licensee for their devices. Nokia and BlackBerry have similar brand recognition in many parts of the world and Nokia is quickly regaining their old marketshare with Android (despite not competing aggressively on specs and pricing) . It's hard not to wonder how the BlackBerry brand may have fared under similar circumstances.
    10-30-17 07:43 PM
    Perhaps, I just think it would have been better longterm if they had a single global licensee for their devices. Nokia and BlackBerry have similar brand recognition in many parts of the world and Nokia is quickly regaining their old marketshare with Android (despite not competing aggressively on specs and pricing) . It's hard not to wonder how the BlackBerry brand may have fared under similar circumstances.
    But Optiemus Infracom understands the Indian market better, and PT BB Merah Putih understands the Indonesian market better. Why not leverage that experience?
    10-30-17 09:57 PM
    But Optiemus Infracom understands the Indian market better, and PT BB Merah Putih understands the Indonesian market better. Why not leverage that experience?
    TCL/Alcatel already has a presence in both countries so it's not exactly uncharted territory for them. We haven't seen much from either OEM so far but who knows, they may surprise us.
    10-30-17 11:41 PM
    Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new device? I mean you're complaining about the almost four year old device that gave your money's worth. You've extracted your every last penny for the device. Put into a drawer and use whatever new device you'd like.
    Exactly I had the classic the day it was launched but I wouldn't be complaining about it in 2017. Move onto a new device stop ******** about a old phone and dead OS
    11-02-17 07:04 AM
    Exactly I had the classic the day it was launched but I wouldn't be complaining about it in 2017. Move onto a new device stop ******** about a old phone and dead OS
    Here's the only problem with what you're saying:

While there is no question my BB10 phone has provided exceptional value, the newer devices available are less desirable for me, at any price. I purchased a Priv and a KEYone, and I've spent dozens of hours setting them up just the way I want them with all the apps I might use perfectly organized and configured, with the folder/screen/shortcuts I want. And I've tried very hard to make each if them my daily driver in turn.

But, at the end of the day, it's always the Z10 or the Passport that I grab to get work done. The UX is far superior to the Android's, and I really don't need the apps, as I always have a laptop with me for anything I would do with an app.

I don't expect my phones to last forever, and I don't mind buying a new one or two or three, but it would be nice if buying a new phone didn't feel like a step backward.

For me, migrating from BB10 to Android feels like trading a bare bones 10 year old BMW for a brand new minivan with every option added. It's newer, can do far more things, but is much less fun and focused for the thing I actually do with my car, which is drive.

In the case of smartphones, I need to read and type when I'm away from my desk. Everything else is just extras and not worth compromising the critical tasks that help me make a living and be effective.

11-02-17 08:27 AM
    +1

Posted from my Z30 (10.3.2.2876) LoveBB10Apps - LoveBB10
    11-02-17 08:33 AM

While there is no question my BB10 phone has provided exceptional value, the newer devices available are less desirable for me, at any price. I purchased a Priv and a KEYone, and I've spent dozens of hours setting them up just the way I want them with all the apps I might use perfectly organized and configured, with the folder/screen/shortcuts I want. And I've tried very hard to make each if them my daily driver in turn.

But, at the end of the day, it's always the Z10 or the Passport that I grab to get work done. The UX is far superior to the Android's, and I really don't need the apps, as I always have a laptop with me for anything I would do with an app.

I don't expect my phones to last forever, and I don't mind buying a new one or two or three, but it would be nice if buying a new phone didn't feel like a step backward.

For me, migrating from BB10 to Android feels like trading a bare bones 10 year old BMW for a brand new minivan with every option added. It's newer, can do far more things, but is much less fun and focused for the thing I actually do with my car, which is drive.

In the case of smartphones, I need to read and type when I'm away from my desk. Everything else is just extras and not worth compromising the critical tasks that help me make a living and be effective.

You can't complain about a dead OS. The reality is you are one of the few left on the old devices. Either move onto another device or don't. But saying android is a step back is nonsensical.
    11-02-17 08:41 AM
    You can't complain about a dead OS. The reality is you are one of the few left on the old devices. Either move onto another device or don't. But saying android is a step back is nonsensical.
    Saying the UX of Android is a step back for my work flow is simply stating the truth. Fewer movements, better use of space on the device for text, more configurable profiles for alerts, better sound quality than Qualcomm's crap sound, etc.

Android can do 10,000 things better than BB10, but not the things I actually get paid for which is all I care about.

11-02-17 08:53 AM
    lol what can I tell you bud. Blackberry has moved on. Time for you to do the same
    11-02-17 08:57 AM

Give it time... LOL... I had to put my 9900 in a locked storage room when I got the Q10. Same thing with the Passport when I got the PRIV. I've never stopped enjoying BBOS or BB10 UX better than Android but I've been able to leave them in that room unlocked now. I think of it now as going from SC to SUV. The minivan feeling went away when I accepted the "U" in utility as necessary to save my sanity and my clients. But you're right the UX of BB has always been naturally efficient.

You've been using your devices a lot more than I ever did. Your efficiency is even more ingrained than mine ever was.
    11-02-17 09:01 AM
    lol what can I tell you bud. Blackberry has moved on. Time for you to do the same
    Well, I have the Priv and the KEYone for insurance. Carry the KEYone everywhere, just never seem to bother using it except for Signal. Maybe you can tell me what else I can do with it that's better than my BB10 phones.

I'm fine that BlackBerry has moved on. I don't expect anything more from them. I'm grateful they supported my devices as long as they did, considering their financial performance. They've exceeded my expectations.

And I will happily switch to Android full time as soon as it's advantageous for me to do so. I don't find Android difficult or confusing. It's just needlessly convoluted and unpleasant because it delegates so many important functions to third party apps that in my opinion should be controlled by the OS, such as file management and custom alert profiles.

11-02-17 09:08 AM
    Hey, nice to see someone else besides me who's read classic Sci-fi! As for your main point, I think you're right about all of it! The main reason I've stuck with my Q10 for so long is that I haven't seen anything to replace it with enough benefits for my needs to change it before now. The Classic sounded like a nice upgrade when 1st announced since I missed having a physical "off/end call" button and figured the tiny increase in screen size would be nice, as would the mouse pad for selecting the actual things that I WANTED to hit with banana sized finger tips. But I passed due to the fixed battery (I've had 4 OEM genuine BlackBerry batteries that have all had at best 6 months to a year before they held a "full" charge for shorter and shorter lengths of time. But I have gotten each on Amazon for under $10 apiece) and that they didn't make any CPU improvement to justify paying the high cost when my Q10 does 90% of what I ask it to do. While son switched to the Z30 when it came out, I have a good deal of issues with virtual keyboards already and even with this device I often must hit the same 'button' on an app before the phone notices. Device has been factory reset either two or three times but the simple "glitches" keep happening! So at least I know that (while painful slow to my kid's opinions I know that if I press the physical button I WILL get a response... and before someone else suggests that there are many options for new phones, for me it boils down to either get a Classic and hope to find the battery life to be good enough for a year or two or try to revive the broken Z30 my son used. I'm very hesitant to get the passport because AFAIK the keys aren't any bigger than the keys on the Q10, and there are fewer of them. I suppose that all of the keys in my 4th row are instead made with some kind of alt/shift type of method. So without actually holding one it's hard to tell if the bigger display & extra 1GB of RAM will be very noticeable. I also was thinking that it's confusing to compare the passport and Z30 because unless GSM Arena has specs wrong it's a hash of "which is better" comparisons! The passport has an IPS 1440x1440 with 453ppi with gorilla glass vs Z30's super amoled barely larger size display at 720 x1280 & 294ppi. The passport has the quad-core snapdragon 800 2.6Ghz krait with adreno 330 GPU vs Z30 snapdragon S4Pro dual-core 1.7Ghz krait with adreno 320 GPU. So unless I'm even more confused than usual, it would seem that the Z30 might have better color depth the older passport exceeds it in all the categories?? The review makes it seem like the newer Z30 was given an older, less "high-end" spec sheet?? It has a much smaller battery and only claims 18 hours talk time to the 23 hours for the passport. Passport sports a weaker camera but otherwise seems to be a better device. It's just so frustrating to not be able to test drive one myself! The local AT&T tried hard to discourage me from getting the Q10 (except for ONE tech who was very pleased with his Q10) so they never bothered to even stock the passport or Z30. So I just wanted to get input, since I'm more willing to switch back to a flip phone before I ever got any android powered device! IF Chen had been able to force the ability we've had for years now, meaning that we can control every single app's ability to access areas that smart users would never consider sharing, then I'll think about android. But even with the minimal amount of blocking that was finally granted in marshmallow there's still zero way to keep google from data mining your entire life. Others may not care, but I value my privacy and none of the friends or family in my contacts gave me permission to give out their data either.

I'm unfortunately getting less and less surprised

Hey, can I make a constructive criticism?

Putting some white space in, some paragraph breaks would make your post readable.
    Honestly, I couldn't follow it and gave up after 10 seconds. You likely made some good points, but having everything jammed into one paragraph makes it unreadable.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-02-17 10:38 AM
    happy to read this stuff! I have been an android fan and to my surprise presently I am with an iphone and a blackberry classic!!! bb10 ux is absolutely seamless and better than android even with stock roms and other roms like lineage or resurrection remix! the apps on bb10 are much smooth and flawless compared to android and the memory management, multitasking and yes the physical keyboard all this is such a breeze! Blackberry should have kept the prices down and at par with android and they would have been very much in the game! it was a poor marketing and pricing that killed this platform else it's by far the best as I have used all operating systems now and can conclude that bb10 is really a step ahead of the competition! unfortunately best is not always the winner and in this case it is a loser. android apps run well but the performance isn't as seamless as that of bb and that's understandable. it's just a facility and it's definitely not a value addition. I sincerely hope that there would be more and more developers of bb10 who will keep pouring apps on bb10 that we would love to have installed.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-17 10:17 PM
    happy to read this stuff! I have been an android fan and to my surprise presently I am with an iphone and a blackberry classic!!! bb10 ux is absolutely seamless and better than android even with stock roms and other roms like lineage or resurrection remix! the apps on bb10 are much smooth and flawless compared to android and the memory management, multitasking and yes the physical keyboard all this is such a breeze! Blackberry should have kept the prices down and at par with android and they would have been very much in the game! it was a poor marketing and pricing that killed this platform else it's by far the best as I have used all operating systems now and can conclude that bb10 is really a step ahead of the competition! unfortunately best is not always the winner and in this case it is a loser. android apps run well but the performance isn't as seamless as that of bb and that's understandable. it's just a facility and it's definitely not a value addition. I sincerely hope that there would be more and more developers of bb10 who will keep pouring apps on bb10 that we would love to have installed.

Posted via CB10
    I am afraid that you are in for disappointment : app developers are leaving BB10.

Major apps like WhatsApp are just limping along and banking apps are being dis-continued.
    12-05-17 10:08 PM
    Hey, can I make a constructive criticism?

Putting some white space in, some paragraph breaks would make your post readable.
    Honestly, I couldn't follow it and gave up after 10 seconds. You likely made some good points, but having everything jammed into one paragraph makes it unreadable.
    Sorry about that! I actually DO try to space sentences and paragraphs properly but for a while now my Q10 has been doing very strange & unwanted things to any kind of text I write.

Just this morning I sent the wife a text. On MY display it was easy to read. What she received was a random jumble of two texts from different days mixed in with the actual words that my display still shows in the thread.

I'm going to try double spacing or triple between paragraphs to see if it helps!

12-06-17 12:23 AM
    This may sound like a dumb question, but what is BB10 UK ?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-17 08:40 AM
60 123